Anyone here try the Maple-flame mod??

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by gianni_boy, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gianni_boy

gianni_boy Senior Member

(changing out the bridge posts and replacing them with stainless steel posts)

Results....Difference....pros/cons......Opinions??

thanks

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

yep..a couple of times.

Wonder who called it the Maplflame mod?...:hmm:

tjhassan and cooljuk like this.
  3. Yannroman

Yannroman Member

Mapleflame is a LPF member who made this mod popular, not 100% sure he invented it though. Anyway this is a cool mod, just replace the bridge posts on your ABR-1 bridge (not Nashville) with longer posts that go deeper in the wood, most of the time the change is made with steel posts. The benefit of this mod is added sustain and clarity, I had good luck with this mod each time, but it's not to everybody's taste, especially on bright guitars.

4. vanceen

vanceen Member

I did it on a 68 RI Custom. I really liked the result.

5. River

River Senior Member

It's the right thing to do.

[​IMG]

MLP member Chicago John provided me with the studs.

your idol likes this.
  6. ElectricMojo

ElectricMojo Senior Member

I started doing this mod on Reissues a couple of months ago and the results are amazing.

Really increases the acoustic resonnance.
    I use longer posts so that the post touches the mahogany part of the body (I drill in the mahogany just a little bit) and it really makes the wood resonate a lot more (you can feel the wood vibrating right up to the headstock).

It's really great.

your idol likes this.
  7. your idol

your idol Senior Member

i was gonna buy the mod for my R8 from Chicago John but i traded the R8 before i could...
    luckily the R9 I have HAS the Mapleflame mod......or whoevers mod it is.

its sweet. theres solid resonance to the guitar. i dont know what it sounded like before but it rings like a bell through the body. loudest full sized solid body ive played acoustically

8. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I think Mapleflame's done it a few times... :laugh2:

LPCollector and InfiniteeZ like this.
  9. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Ya. I did everything to my poor guitar. The bridge-post swap (of the hardware changes) made the biggest difference. I have ideas about how it might relate (that is, its effectiveness with respect to) ... ah, with the neck angle, but not many seem to be at all concerned about the neck angle detail, so never mind all that.

I know one player who found the SS studs too bright and has had better success getting the sound he wanted using brass studs, and I have thought about trying those, or one brass stud on either the bass or treble side and one SS stud.

But I like the two SS studs, for now. Make the guitar happy, they do.

10. gianni_boy

gianni_boy Senior Member

has anyone tried both brass and SS? is there a huge difference?

also where can i get the studs?

11. goldenugly57

goldenugly57 Member

I tried the SS screws on my Goldtop a couple of years ago and reversed it almost immediately because the highs were much too agressive! Thought about doing it with brass, but I was so disappointed about this mod that I decided not to mess with this mod anymore, especially since it really bothers me that there are now deeper holes in the maple top! I decided that any mod that involves messing with the wood is not for me. I'll stick to changing the rest of the hardware to more accurate specs! And by the way: I achieved a more woody and resonant tone by the following mods: brass saddles, thin thumbwheels, stoptail and ironclaws from DMC.

Cheers :)

12. RocknRollGypsy

RocknRollGypsy Premium Member

I've been looking all over for brass. If I find some I'll be trying it out with brass, SS and both together..

Anyone know where you can find correct brass studs? Preferably 2" or longer. I like to drill into the mohagany! :shock:.

13. carydad

carydad Senior Member

I've done it to all my axcess stoptails(3) and an es339 before that. I really like it. Probably all in my head, but it has a lot of logic going for it.

14. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

Any CR owners do this? Just wondering if there's any difference in the effect of the mod combined with the chambering vs. a solid.

guess that ES-339 was close.....did you get the full bright, increased vibration effect that everyone else has experienced?

15. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

both my R9 and my 74 Custom have these posts. I like this simple, cheap mod.

16. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Amen to that. I say the same about the Callaham ABR-1's. If your guitar is bright, you'll only make it brighter. These types of mods are not for every guitar.

17. RobertF

RobertF Senior Member

Don Butler did it to my '07 BB Custom, which was a tad dark sounding out of the box. He had done the mod to his own BB custom and when I heard how it livened up his guitar, I had him perform the mod on mine. I'm very happy with it, but as others have said, I probably wouldn't do it to a guitar that I already thought was bright.

18. zhivago

zhivago Senior Member

I did it to my R4...very good results for me too...more sustain and clarity all around.

Plus, it's a dirt-cheap mod and fully reversable (not that I'd ever go back!) :)

19. gianni_boy

gianni_boy Senior Member

I would love to here the results from those of you who have used brass, I'm looking for nickel plated brass, because it is vintage correct, just put deeper in the body..... I don't really want it to be brighter because I have sheptone PAF"s (which are bright) and pigtail studs coming in, it might be overly bright.

Also I'm curious to know how other alloys might sound with this mod, such as aluminum??

20. gianni_boy

gianni_boy Senior Member

Anyone ever try "vintage correct nickle plated brass" studs put deeper into the body??? Its a question that hasent been answerd here or the other forums in good detail.
    Do any parts companys make the longer bridge studs?