Another NGD thread! Epi Tribute Plus! Only minor problems.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Brokennarsil16, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Brokennarsil16

Brokennarsil16 Junior Member

Hey everyone here's my first New Gear Day thread on this awesome forum! I just bought an Epiphone Tribute Plus guitar, which arrived in the mail yesterday. The attached pic shows what it looks like. I'm really happy with its appearance; the cosmetics are wonderful, all the binding is superb save for one spot where there's a bit of glue showing. No big deal, really. My only problem cosmetically is that the neck pickup's plastic ring seems to be an ill fit, and it's bent against the neck as the attached picture will show. As far as the infamous action and intonation problems with these axes, I have but one problem area on the fretboard where there is one string buzzing, right above the ninth fret on the A string. It's odd because there's no other string buzz anywhere else. Maybe the fret is just tall at that spot? I really don't know much about fretwork, and it's a shame because the action is otherwise really nice. I haven't had a chance to play it a lot yet, but tonight is band practice so I'm going to let her rip! This is my dream guitar, short of an actual 59/60 Gibson Standard, so I couldn't be happier right now!

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

HNGD and welcome to MLP! From what other owners have posted, I think you'll be very happy with your new guitar.

3. Kezman

Kezman Senior Member

Congrats and Welcome!!
    I'll let the tech savvy guys handle this, if it's my guitar, I mess with it till the buzz is gone :)

4. haystack

haystack Senior Member

I had a buzz in mine like that, and my guitar guy tapped the fret down. He keeps a small piece of wood nearby and pops that with a hammer. Made me nervous. It worked, but I needed the frets shaved down substantially anyway. So we just moved on to that and chnaged the nut to a Tusq.

Congrats.

5. elche

elche Senior Member

From my experience, the fret buzz is the only weakness of this series...
    I have a Tribute and I had to level the frets to get rid of buzz.
    There are lucky guys here that will tell you that their MIC LP's are always been buzz free but, as far as I've experienced, this is a quite common (and annoying) issue.
    I want to give you a further advise: use a light touch when bending, frets are soft like butter...
    HNGD!

6. Brokennarsil16

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it to get setup and all that jazz anyway, but it'll be a bit before I can scratch up the spare change. I might try it myself and see what I can manage.

So the frets are soft, huh? That's a little troublesome, because I tend to strangle and beat on strings like a bear! Gimme my 11s!

So has nobody else had the issue with the neck pickup cover? It's not a big deal really, just kind of odd.

7. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

The pick up ring does look a bit off, but if the guitar plays well & has no other issues, I'd have a hard time sending it back.

Probably just needs a little TLC & I'm sure it will play quite nicely.

8. elche

elche Senior Member

It seems that the ring fixing holes on the right are too high...:hmm:

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member Super Mod

10. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Congrats on your new T Plus. These are fantastic LP's for the price. The neck ring issue is typical. Mine were not bad, not worth changing anyway. Epi uses flat bottomed rings and I don't know why since the arched rings are nearly a perfect fit. If you switch them out, that's what I would order for replacements.
    Enjoy and HNGD! :thumb:

11. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

I've seen the pickup ring fitting issue on a few guitars and one of mine is kinda like that. They didn't drill the holes properly. You might be able to loosen the screws and bend the plastic a bit and tighten back up. Or live with it.

If it really bugs you send it back for a new one. Problem is you might end up with one that has worse cosmetic issues. I'm really picky with the cosmetics...but is still sounds good either way....:thumb:

12. Brokennarsil16

Good to know about the pickup ring. It's not a big deal, I don't even notice when I'm playing (which is when it matters, not standing there looking at it!) I may try the arched covers sooner or later, but for now I'm just enjoying the thing.

I did a rudimentary setup a few hours ago when I got home. I'm no expert in the least, but I managed to pound on the bad fret and adjust the bridge height and got the buzz nearly gone. Man, this thing is sick! Since I got the new strings on it, and have the action where I like, I'm finding new sounds I didn't even know I could get.

I've got a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG 81/85, and a Strat with a GFS VEH 'bucker in the bridge position. I love both of them, but there was always something missing that I couldn't put my finger on. The Hellraiser was a bit too driven and creamy, with the actives. I like the tone for what it is, but It's never been my ideal. Same with the Strat, but it's just too thin for me. Now I've got my LP and boy it's so sweet. Sorry for the ramble, but I'm just glowing :D

13. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

The spirit and Mojo of all the great classic rock artists that used Les Pauls is in that Tribute...that's what you can't put your finger on. I have other guitars...Charvel, Esp....but there is that something very special about the Les Paul that makes it my favorite guitar. :slash:

1 person likes this.