Am I being played? Nickel vs Chrome

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by aeromonte, Mar 20, 2008.

1. aeromonte

aeromonte Member

I won a Gibson bridge and tailpiece, ADVERTISED AS NICKEL, on ebay.
    Just received it and it looked just like chrome. I held it next to my original Les Paul nickel bridge and tail and it doesn't have that "silver" color to it.

I emailed the seller telling him I won a nickel set and received a chrome set - and this was his response:

"Hi, Nickel and chrome are the same thing. This is how Gibson lists them on their website."

Is he full of it?????

2. goldencd

goldencd Senior Member

3. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

Nickel and chrome are far from the same thing. People like that piss me off...

4. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

WTF.....ask him if coke and pepsi are the same too.

id prefer chrome. Nickle tarnishes to black. At least on my geetars it does

5. Mr. Fuzzy

Mr. Fuzzy Senior Member

Chrome has a bluish tint

Nickle is has a more yellow/orange tint

Oh and he is full of shit they are NOT the same thing.
    who is this scammer?

6. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Report him. If chrome and nickel are the same thing, a LOT of Harley owners are going to be pissed off. :rolleyes:

7. aeromonte

aeromonte Member

Before I list his ebay username and hurt his sales, I'll see if he will work with me on it. Maybe he just doesn't know there is a difference.
    If not, I'll post his username to warn anyone else who may buy from him - and give negative feedback - never had to do that before...:(

8. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

tell him you want a refund and you'll return them. If he thought they were the same thing, why did he advertise them as nickel?

9. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Close, but not the same. I would be pissed.

10. Seymour Duncans

Seymour Duncans Senior Member

Well if chrome and nickel are the same thing, i'm slim.

11. aeromonte

aeromonte Member

Here is the BS/drama I am going through. Just thought I would share

Me :mad:
    This is not correct. I just got off the phone with Gibson Customer Service and chrome and "nickel are two different animals" per Gibson. Your listing is not accurate. Chrome is more shiney (mirror like)and nickel has a silverish look to it. I just payed for an item that was not listed correct.
    What can be done here?

Them
    Well, I'm sorry, but I've been a Gibson dealer since the 70's and this is a nickel pickup that came stock out of a Gibson guitar that is listed on Gibson's official web sight as nickel. The pickup was listed correctly.

Me :mad2:
    First of all, this is NOT a pickup we are talking about. Second, nickel is not the same as chrome. I won a NICKEL (as advertised) bridge and Tailpiece, and you sent me a CHROME bridge and tailpiece. This is FALSE advertising. I would like my money back and then I will send them back or I will take this matter higher up as fraud!
    Call Gibson: 1-800-4GIBSON and ask them.

Them
    Ok, Bridge. Chrome is darker, almost blackish in color. Gibson rarely uses it on anything. Nickel is silver in color like the part you received. If your saying I'm false advertising then your saying Gibson is false advertising on their web site. If you don't want the part then just send it back and never shop on my site again. I only want people who actually know their parts bidding on my items.

:wtf:

12. PuroRock

PuroRock Senior Member

Absolutely not the same thing. You use chrome to cover or plate a metal, such as brass or copper or some other crap... it's useless. If I'm not mistaken, chrome may contain a small percentage of nickel, which gives it a slight magnetic draw. The tint of chrome depends on what it's covering and the amount of plating. Grab something chrome and you should be able to scratch through it.

Nickel is a metal in itself, it should have a much stronger magnetic draw to it. Usually, in my experiences, Nickel actually has a blueish tint, and if you try to scratch through it, you will get Nickel underneath.

BTW, I used to work at a metal recycling plant 5 years ago, and worked there for 2 years. Nickel was like gold, fetching a very high price. All the chrome crap was just that... crap.

13. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

dude,report him already...

14. guitarstan

guitarstan Senior Member

Gibson should be willing to send you something in writing to help resolve this matter.

15. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

i don't think he is all that bothered by getting a replacement(though i would).
    its the matter of principle.

16. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

try and get a refund.

17. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

They're totally the same!

Just kidding. They're different. :)

18. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

"It depends on what your definition of the word chrome is"

[​IMG]

19. eddie_bowers

eddie_bowers Senior Member

Ummm, he keeps talking about how the Gibson site says they are the same, but clearly it doesn't:
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisio...s/Replacement Parts/Bridges _amp; Tailpieces/

That being said, I have seen lots of different nickel plating that looks different. Some are more yellow than others. He is an idiot (called it a Web Sight instead of Web site), but it's POSSIBLE that it is nickel, but just doens't match.

20. Bowhunterwt

Bowhunterwt V.I.P. Member

Nickle is a coating that is put first on an object, Chrome on the other hand is just a brighter that brighten the nickle to a shinning finish. When you get a chromed item it's is nickled and then chromed, when you get a nickled item it is not chromed.