alkaline sweat!!!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by sixty-niner, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sixty-niner

sixty-niner Member

My roommate has an issue that maybe some one can help with, his sweat causes his strings or anything that is metal to oxidize very very fast. I didnt pay much attention to it until he played my les paul for just a couple of minutes one day and the next day all the strings were rusty and corroded, like someone had left the guitar out in the garage for 2 months, He just bought a new guitar and doesnt play it much cuz strings only last him a couple of days or so if he plays every day. All his allen wrenches and guitar tools are rusted too and they are only 1 month old. It is not the climate because I live here too and have had nothing affected. Any creams or sprays or treatment that would be of use would be greatly appreciated.

2. your idol

your idol Senior Member

nope...im that guy too. its a pain. you should see what i do to watches!

3. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

There is an Aluminum chlorhydrate powder antiperspirant that's supposed to work pretty well

4. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

well, you can get stainless strings which would be a start.

i have a friend like this too so i try to avoid letting him playing my guitars!

5. TubeScreamer

TubeScreamer Member

GHS Fast Fret!!!!

This stuff really does work. I too suffer from sweaty hands. Now, although they don't sound quite as corrosive as your friends, none the less, I did suffer with rusting strings.

I just gently glide some of this stuff on after every time I play and then wipe it off again with the cloth that is provided in the tub, and my strings now last for ages.

Sometimes I just end up changing them because I think that it's about time, rather than the fact that they have gone rusty!

As for whether it makes you play faster...... A load of rubbish in my opinion. I believe that’s what practice is for eh guy’s lol!

Certainly worth a try anyway! (Oh, one other plus point, it lasts for ages. I’ve had one tub that I've been using for years and it's still going strong!)

Hope this helps

Russ

6. Timshady

Timshady Senior Member

Hi,

I'm definitely this guy too. I used to have to change my strings about every 4 to 5 days of heavy playing. Strings started costing me lots of money.....so I switched to coated strings. I first tried Elixirs but I didn't like the feel and the sound very much. I tried a few different brands of coated strings recommended by the guys at Guitar Center but ultimately landed on the coated Ernie Balls (least recommended by them). They feel nice and last a very long time for me.

I'd say have your friend try some new strings. They may cost twice as much as a normal pack of strings, but they'll last you at least twice as long if not more anyways. Now I only change my strings about 2 times per month depending on how much I've played that particular guitar. My total investment on strings hasn't really changed.....still paying around 20 - 30 bucks a month.....just going through less packs of more expensive strings.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Using a small amount of Talcam powder on my hands helps a bit too, just have to be sure to clean the fretboard with my Fast Fret after playing to make sure the powder isn't drying everything out.

7. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Tell him to whipe or clean the strings after he played.
    A bit of oil can do wonders to.

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

His sweat is acidic, by the way.
    Bet it gets really bad once a month when he's on the rag.

9. Manning

Manning Banned

I use it too. I clean and condition the fret board on the ax, then put some of that fast fret stuff on the strings, and although it does nothing for speed, for a little while everything feels ..... slickery.

Not sure if that's a word.

10. blamo

blamo Senior Member

i can say im glad i dont have this issue.

I read Dave Grohl has the same problem.

11. sixty-niner

sixty-niner Member

thanks guys for the comments, I will let him know, I had no idea it was so common.