ABR-1 vs. Nashville

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by mraajr, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mraajr

mraajr Senior Member

I cannot see the benefit of a Nashville style bridge. I know nothing about manufacturing costs and what not but it seems like it would be more expensive to produce due to more material being used (unless the were different materials which I am sure someone will chime in). Also I am sure the added material in the body can have no positive effect on sound either. What say ye MLP?

2. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

The Nashville has a little more travel in the saddles for intonation, is a little wider, and the posts are larger diameter- all supposedly help with stability of the bridge.

The ABR1 is cheaper to produce so I don't know why an "improvement was necessary", but then again it was the 70's. The "Dark Ages" which also gave us neck volutes, pancake bodies, and 13 lb Les Pauls with finishes so thick it makes an Epis poly look vintage nitro thin.

I don't like the Nashville, it's the only factory flaw on my otherwise perfect 08 Standard, I almost didn't buy it because of that.

3. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

No benefit as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention Nashvilles are fugly.

SingeMonkey likes this.
  4. SludgeBurns

SludgeBurns Senior Member

Nashville vs. ABR-1 bridge is not something I notice or care about when I look at or play a guitar.

5. qwank

qwank Senior Member

+1

as long as its nickel not chrome :D

6. mraajr

mraajr Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation. This seems very logical. I am sure many thins factor in but if the ABR-1s are cheaper to make and potentially sound better,
    why do they not just switch it over to all ABRs? I mean they ditched the volutes and pancake bodies right?:hmm:

I have only started to notice the difference since owning Custom Shop guitars. I really much prefer the ABR-1 now that I have had both. Just a preference though.

7. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Having the Nashville bridge on a Les Paul is like seeing the most beautiful woman in the world, but then she smiles and you realize she only has 3 rotten teeth ;)

I think they had it all right by 1960.

Flight595 and bosnialove like this.
  8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Maybe one advantage to the Nashville is the posts are less likely to lean forward? Junkie, why don't you just buy an ABR-1 replacement bridge?

9. SludgeBurns

SludgeBurns Senior Member

Out of curiosity, what do you need in order to convert from a Nashville to an ABR-1? They don't just drop in do they?

10. Boleskinehouse

11. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

I agree that the Nashvilles are just butt-ugly.

SingeMonkey likes this.
  12. CajunGoo

CajunGoo Senior Member

I couldn't care either way, played both and they both sound the same.

JakeBluesRocker likes this.
  13. Xavier_32

Xavier_32 Senior Member

I just can't grasp this. Give me one negative about volutes, other than you think they're ugly because they don't match your perception of the master race of vintage bursts. They added headstock stability, and the entire idea was to minimize breaks at the weakest point on the neck. It also added weight to the headstock, which in theory, should provide for better sustain. I think they should have kept them.

Pancake bodies? They have a great sound! By your standard, you must think all VMs, The Pauls, Artisans, and Raw Powers suck because they don't have that perfect ratio of mahogany back and maple top.

13lb LPs... Yeah. I'll give you that one. Can't argue against it. But I, for one, don't mind a little extra weight, and I know there are others out there who agree.

But the finish, THE FINISH. Have you seen the current finish they use? I'm pretty sure they use at least a little poly on Gibsons now. At least, that shit peels like poly when you strip the finish. You're talking about thick finishes when you should be complaining about clown bursts.

14. Boleskinehouse

junkie rags on Norlins every chance he gets. Ignore it. :laugh2:

SingeMonkey likes this.
  15. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Bursts didn't have volute...so, there! :laugh2:

16. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

SludgeBurns, the ABRN Boles posted a link to is what I have on my Traditional. It fit right on the stock Nashville posts but I had to fight with it.

17. CajunGoo

CajunGoo Senior Member

On my 1973 SG the volute never bothered me. Did I know it was there? Sure, but other than being able to see it I never notice3d it unless I was playing on the first fret or so. Didn't bother me and I doubt they would bother most since most of my playing stayed well above the first fret.

18. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

I had a nashville on my standard. Changed to an ABR style Gotoh. No loose saddles or bits of wire, but slimmer than nashville. A kind of 'modern' Abr if you like. Suits me, you might like it also...

19. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

abrs are great for LPs ... other gibsons might get away with the Nashville version which is more adjustable

20. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

I will never own a Gibson with a Nashville bridge. Looks gawdawful and I don't like the idea of bushings to go with it. Reminds too much of a cheap import guitar feature. It's enough with the one set of bushings needed for the tailpiece. I would also assume that since a Nashville bridge is "hollow", it's prone to caving under string pressure with time, so that its radius goes off or it breaks. Talking decades here though.