80's shredder guitar advice welcomed!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by needlespauls, Apr 14, 2009.

1. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Hey guys,
    I made a "special" and crazy deal with the wife, which works out for me well because her end of the deal is inevitable anyways lol, young married couples will know what I'm getting at.....
    Anyway, my part of the "deal", is that I get to upgrade anything that I want withing reason on my Elitist GT (spending a good $300-$400 on it), a new or used, MIM Classic Player Series Strat or MIJ equivalent or used MIA Fender Strat,..........
    and I want to get an 80's type of Super-Strat shredder!!! Pointy headstock, banana headstock, bolt-on, neck-thru, bridge pickup and volume knob only is prefered. An Original Floyd(German made/Schaller), or vintage style tremolo is what I'd like, in most cases I'm sure the Floyd is the one I"m going to go with, even though string changes are a pain in the ASS!!!! The only guitars of my description with the vintage style trem are the Custom Shop Charvels, and I can't spend that much.

So, my budget is no more than $1,200.
    So far in the running for my cheesey/pointy/shredder/80's guitar quest are:
    *NOS Kramers. You heard it right, a dealer in my neck of the woods has a rack of NOS MIA Kramers!!!! Not sure exact models, but I remember a few 85 style Barretta's!!!! Sweet! And well under a grand! Yes, the shop owner is out of touch with todays technology and market. Score!!
    *Kramer/MusicYo USA 1984 or 1985 reissues. Either one I can find, any color.
    *New USA production Charvel SoCal style 1 with Seymours and the new chrome hardware and Antique white color. SWEET! but maybe not 80's enough, maybe thats a good thing lol!!
    *Carvin DC125 custom order. Any way I want it, would be chrome Floyd and locking nut, Olympic White, bridge humbucker, neck-tru, flamed maple fretboard with painted matching headstock and back of neck(satin finish on neck.) 80's pointed headstock and large 80's Carvin logo.
    *Warmouth Charvel style San-Dimas guitar, vintage 6 bolt trem, Seymour JB (or something) at the bridge, Candy blue metallic, Birdseye quarter-sawn one-piece neck, knurled volume knob. Can you have this guitar made in my budget?

So if I missed any other goodies, let me know!! This will be my most fun guitar for sure! Can't wait to belt out some "Lay it Down", "Too Young to fall in Love", "Still of the Night", etc LOL!!! (Not the only stuff I play by a long shot, but proud guilty pleasures none-theless lol!!)
    Bring it on dudes! Thanks!

2. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

You can get brand new Chavels with a Fender Headstoc, 2 humbuckers and a Floyd Rose for 999.00, no kidding.

I think the best guitars of the early and later 80's were the Charvels and Jacksons. There were some cool Japanese strats and of course, like you mentioned, the Kramers. USA Kramers = good, Import Kramers were all over the place as far as quality.

There are a lot of guitars out there from this era. There are some nice, quality used American made stuff in the 1000 to 1200 range.

A new old stock Kramer could be cool as well. A have a buddy that has a Pacer from when they first started making them and it is a great guitar.

3. needlespauls

Thanks bro!! I hear you on the new Charvels, The one I mentioned above is from the new batch of colors, Olympic White, zebra seymours, chrome hardware, and is priced at $1,099. A great deal!!
    May be tops in the running, but I"m looking for more of a hot-rodder with only the bridge pickup, and a real REAL Floyd, made by Schaller, not the real Floyd made in Korea. Apparently the new Charvels come with the MIK "original" Floyd, where the original "real" Floyd is the German Schaller. I know, big deal lol!!!
    The Warmouth idea is now pretty interesting, still might do the Carvin, gotta play those NOS Kramers too!
    Keep the ideas/opinions coming guys, thanks Blues4U!

4. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

You could get a Warmoth strat with the neck specs exactly how you want, the body done exactly how you want. pickup route, control plate exactly how you want. pointy headstock, reverse headstock, strat, tele whatever , exactly how you want. For a grand you could have a helluva guitar, for 1200 bucks you could have the mother of all shredders.

If you have the skills, go the warmoth route-you will have a monster guitar. If you are thinking you will maybe sell it later, you will lose your ass on a warmoth-if you plan on keeping it forever, you will have the best shredder money can buy - with a Real Floyd too

5. needlespauls

Thanks Blues!
    If I go that route, it would be a completely painted/finished San-Dimas style body with body contour, arm contour, bridge pickup with volume/tap knob, vintage trem, 1 -piece quartersawn birdseye neck with pointy headstock. Totally Charvel inspired. I would have to have it assembled for me though at my local shop, especially if I want it right lol! Hmm, not sure I want to do this lol!! And I hear you on the resale, I don't think I'd want to sell it though!

6. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

dunno if its your cup of tea, but i recently picked up a 2008 Jackson dk2m in snow white...really '80s looking. not original FR though. plays great (multi radius neck), MIJ

7. allbusinessjoe

allbusinessjoe Senior Member

8. needlespauls

Thanks Belz! My local store has the exact guitar! I like it, but its not quite what I'm looking for. Not the exact look/feel or mojo I'm looking for. Not cheesey enough lol!! Thanks though!

Hell, thanks for the heads-up all-biz! Never would have thought of one, maybe too much going on though........

9. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

no prob bro. :thumb:

10. Z.K.

Z.K. Senior Member

11. needlespauls

12. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Sounds like my "other toy"
    Just a humbucker, a Kahler trem and a volume knob. Great playability.

Dirt cheap back in '93

Attached Files:

13. needlespauls

Oh yeah thats awesome!!! What is it?

14. Strat God

Strat God Member

I've got alot of 80's shredders. Ever hear of GMW? They did all the early graphics for Jackson - anyway I recently picked up a mid-80's super-strat with a floyd, H/H/S Seymour Duncans and a Fender large headstock.
    It's a monster with custom faded clear finish. Those would be in your pricerange.

15. needlespauls

Never heard of them, Strat God. Where did you get yours and how do you like it?

16. LPJones

LPJones Senior Member

Wait, what? No Ibanez?

Get one of the Prestige RG's or S models

RG1550M
    RG1570
    S5470

There is a guy on HC that has a Minty JS1000, its sweet!
    FS/FT: 2006 Ibanez JS1000

17. Studio fire

Studio fire Senior Member

Check out some Skets

18. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Most USA Kramers back in the day were actually built from ESP or Lasido (aka Godin) parts. I like the Lasido ones the best with the angled hockey stick headstock, not the later Kramer American (those were ESP).

Personally I would buy a new USA production Charvel, I'm seriously considering nabbing one to go with my old strat-head Charvel. Used GMW's are nice too. So are used Wayne guitars (Wayne Charvel)

19. 1959burst

1959burst Senior Member

20. needlespauls

Great suggestions guys!
    I'd consider some Ibanez guitars, that satch is sweet, not quite my bag though. I do like some of their Prestige models, but not quite 80's or cheesey enough. Gotta have that tacky Mojo

Skets, huh? whats dat? I'll have to do some looking up on those.

Tempting on the GMW's big time! Just a hair over where I want to be.

59', that Jackson is SICK!!! But, its maybe a bit too much for what I'm looking for. I kind of want more of a hot-rod strippy. I'll keep that beauty in mind though, thanks!

I should mention that I'm about 4-6 weeks away also, I'm going to play those NOS Kramers, the new Charvels I'll play also. If I'm not wild about those I just might have a Carvin built, one of those GMW's, or pull the trigger on something online. We'll see.
    Oh and dudes, keep up any feedback or suggestions, and feel free to post your 80's shredder!!!!