2014 Melody Maker vs LPJ series. Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by User 01001010, Feb 1, 2014.

1. User 01001010

User 01001010 Senior Member

I'm thinking of picking up another guitar. I just started playing again after 14 years (and when I played before, I was a bass player). I did pick up an Epi studio earlier this month and I wil need at least 2 for when I start playing out again.

Being a Gibson/Epi whore I just can't do fender or anything else but Gibbys and Epis.

So now I have a chance to pick up either an LPJ or a '14 Melody Maker. Both are only separated by $10 in price, the problem is, I've only been able to play an LPJ since no stores around me have the Melody Maker in stock. So I have no clue as to how it plays.

I have no desire to spend more on a studio or anything else, just between the LPJ and MM.

I don't need anything above the "entry level" gibsons since the type of music lends itself with rowdy crowds in dive bars (punk).

So the question is simple. Just those two models, which one is the better of the two in the respect of those who have knowledge of both models.

I'm not looking for suggestions on other models just these two.

Thanks.

2. Malikon

Malikon BigDumbMonkey V.I.P. Member

"Better" is rather a subjective word.

But the LPJ will be full sized while the MM is a thinner and lighter guitar.

The 2014 MM has p90 pickups I believe whereas the LPJ will have humbuckers.
    The bridge on the MM is a wraptail where the strings go in 'backwards' and fold back wrapping over the bridge.
    The LPJ will have a ToM which allows for more accurate intonation.

They look similar but they're two pretty different guitars.

What kind of music do you want to play with the guitar?

Personally I'd use the MM for blues, rock and punk type stuff
    And the LPJ for blues, rock, and metal.

3 people like this.
  3. 02589

02589 Senior Member

As Malikon said, they are two different beasts.

The MM is thinner and easier to sling around than a full size LP. I would think the deciding factor would be if you were looking for humbuckers or single coil pickups.

4. User 01001010

I play punk, well more to the point of 70's UK and NY punk. I'm a big fan of The Sex Pistols, Dead Boys and The Heartbreakers.

1 person likes this.
  5. User 01001010

The studio has humbuckers and I'm wondering if the MM would be a good compliment with the 90's, but I haven't been able to play one yet. That's the problem I'm having.

6. icantbuyafender

icantbuyafender Senior Member

I like this guy

LoL

I'm always gonna say MM. Not a shock to the other members heh

It's basically the custom lite with a wrap tail and p-90s and the traditional LP control layout

Can't go wrong!

I want one. Badly.

7. cristi tanasescu

cristi tanasescu Senior Member

MM. You already have buckers in one guitar. Ver-sa-ti-li-ty.

1 person likes this.
  8. punkbird

punkbird Senior Member

I say melody maker. Its a different beast, but the MM should be pretty similar to my 2001 LP DC Special Lite, with the thin body and two P90s (except the new MM has a carved top IIRC) and that thing is a punk beast. Plus I'm pretty sure you can get the new MMs in yellow. I say go that route, crank it up, and play Sonic Reducer or Born to Lose till your fingers bleed!

Cool to see another punk around these parts, Welcome to the forum! I too am from Pa.

9. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

hello and welcome!

i would go the other way from most and say lpj. i have a love-hate thing with wraptails and i could easily see me needing to put a new tailpiece on the mm - which is another 100 or so for a tonepros.

i have quite a few p90 guitars and they are great - but i think they are more limitted than a humbucker to be honest because you have a heck of a lot more choice if you want to modify a hb guit than a p90 one.

the lpj is a full size lp which you could keep for ever, refinish it, mod it etc etc and it will always be a full size lp. the mm is a new model and may well only last for a year or two and could possibly end up being a bit of an odd-ball model (oh yeah - the 2014 mm that wasnt a mm? i remember them!!)

end of the day, they are cheap and cheerful gibsons that will sound good and you will love playing - it's win/win

10. User 01001010

I am leaning towards a MM for the P-90's. Also it does come in (satin) yellow.

The songs I've started playing since picking up a guitar again are:
    Sonic Reducer
    Chinese Rocks
    God Save The Queen
    Anarchy In The UK
    And Pretty Vacant

Where at in PA? I'm in Harrisburg.

11. User 01001010

I do wish I could pick up both (I could but my wife would have a headache for at least 3 months straight, and I don't want that), and I do see a few dealers selling the neck & body of the LPJ for reasonable prices, Iay go that route to totally mod a guitar.

12. User 01001010

And thanks for everyone's input. Now I have to break the news to my wife that I need another guitar.

13. punkbird

punkbird Senior Member

I'm in Bethlehem. Sonic Reducer is just a badass punk riff. :thumb:

14. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

the fact that you play punk makes this even easier than it already was,
    MM all day long friendo!

15. Soloshchenko

Soloshchenko Senior Member

As stated, the MM is probably what you want. For me, it would be the LPJ though. They look like awesome gigging machines and feel like an LP sTandard

16. User 01001010

The reason why I haven't picked up a prior year MM is the headstock. With this years model having a reg gibby headstock and in yellow kind of made me obsess for one.

Still wish I could play one first.

17. deejaid

deejaid Member

You got the humbuckers covered already and you are going to play punk...Melody Maker all the way or an LP Jr.

18. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

For classic punk I would go for the MM.

19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

HB's , everyday of the week . :cool:

20. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

As a guy who plays in a punk band and owner of Lp's with both Hbs and p90's i can tell you both work very well in the genre. Here is my input. Are you the only guitar in the band? That can make s huge difference. The other guitar player in my band uses a fender leadII wuth single coils so using the p90s took up alot of the same air space. After switching to my hb Lp it seemed to fill out alot of dead space in our sound. It sucks you cant try the MM first but hell if you go musicians friend if you dont like it just send it back and get the jr. Hope this helped. And play some ramones and Ny dolls!