2013 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Pennyman, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Yes, the most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and the seedings are falling into place! The 'Hawks have dominated all year long, can they continue the magic all the way to the Cup? Can the Penguins make it through the first round without Crosby - and when he returns, will he storm back to the top of the stats pages? After a decade of futility, the Leafs are back in The Show; are they one-and-done or do they have the legs to advance deeper? After 21 consecutive years of making the playoffs, the Wings are clinging the the last spot, will they hang on? Montreal and Ottawa are free-falling at the worst possible time, while the Kings are enjoying another late-season surge, is this a harbinger of the weeks to come?

Who will take home the silver?

The Playoffs start next week! WOOT!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

Yes!! Well.. I would love to see the Bruins but they're not looking up to right now.
    Black Hawks and Penguins look primed for a long run.

It's just going to be fun.

3. Black Ice

Black Ice Senior Member

Blackhawks look so strong this season.

GO RANGERS:dude:

4. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

This!
    The Hawks made History this year, no matter who wins the Cup, the Hawks destroyed the NHL this year.

5. Black Ice

Black Ice Senior Member

They have been relentless so far,now the playoff blood starts pumping!

God I love it:dude:

6. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Hmm... Top 3 seeds in the West are locked and not changing. The 4-6 seeds (StL, LA, SJ) will be locked tomorrow, but it depends on what happens. If I understand it correctly.

The Blues have a 1 point lead on the Kings and the Sharks who are tied.

If the Blues beat the Blackhawks they'll lock up the 4th seed. (The winner of the Sharks/Kings will be 5th and the loser 6th)

If they lose in regulation and the Sharks or Kings win in regulation they will be the 5th seed. (The winner of the Sharks/Kings will be 4th and the loser 6th)

If they lose in regulation and the Sharks lose in OT or the shootout they will be the 5th seed. (The Kings would be 4th and the Sharks will be 6th)

If they lose in regulation and the Kings lose in OT or the shootout they will be the 6th seed. (The Sharks would be 4th and the Kings will be 5th)

If they lose in OT or the shootout and the Sharks beat the Kings then they will still be the 4 seed. (The Sharks would be the 5th and the Kings would be the 6th)

If they lose in OT or the shootout and the Kings beat the Sharks then they will be the 5 seed. (The Kings would be the 4th and the Sharks would be the 6th)

If they lose in OT or the shootout and the Sharks lose in OT or the shootout they will be the 5 seed. (The Kings would be the 4th and the Sharks would be the 6th)

If they lose in OT or the shootout and the Kings lose in OT or the shootout they will be the 5 seed. (The Kings would be the 4th and the Sharks would be the 6th)

Got it?

Now time to break down the the remaining two spots...

The Red Wings have a 1 point lead on the Wild and the Blue Jackets who are tied...

7. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Edmonton is currently beating up on the Wild - and rather badly, at that - so I think Detroit will be safe.

Maybe.

It's all going to come down to Saturday's games, three teams fighting for two spots. Love it!

8. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Whoever loses tomorrow between LA / SJ will take 6th, and get the Canucks in the first round. If I've read the stats correctly.

I don't think St. Louis could drop to 6th, because they have more wins than both LA and SJ. Best They can do is get 4th, worst is 5th.

9. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

^ LA has more ROW wins than StL

Thats the tie breaker.

StL has 58 points. ROW=23
    LA has 57 points. ROW=24
    SJ has 57 points. ROW=17 (meaning they lose the tie breaker with both StL/LA)

If StL loses they still have 58 Pts and ROW 23
    If Kings get a point for OT/shootout loss they will tie StL with 58 pts but win tie breaker with 24 ROW.
    If Sharks beat LA they will have 59 points and the 4th. Because LA has more ROW than StL they get 5th and StL goes to 6.

10. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Detroit only needs a point to make it. If they lose and both Minnesota and Columbus win, they are out.

11. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

Random useless nhl fact of the day: If Detroit makes the playoffs it will be the first time since 95 the original 6 were all in the playoffs (Pretty sure it was 95 if I'm wrong don't crucify me)

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

12. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

St. Louis currently has 28 wins, while LA only has 26, SJ 25. Even if they tie for points, SL has more wins overall... I thought that was the first tie-breaker? :dunno:

13. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Oh yeah your right! I was looking at the wrong column! :laugh2: Now I have to rewrite my breakdown... which almost gave me a breakdown... Thanks Pennyman! :D

14. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Ah **** it...

15. Black Ice

Black Ice Senior Member

Congratulations Detroit!

22 consecutive seasons in the playoffs:thumb:

Now I just need Minnesota to lose so the Blue Jackets make it.

4 people like this.
  16. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Columbus is out.

Montreal gave Toronto a hockey lesson tonight. The Leafs had three power plays in the second period and still came out of the period with only ONE shot on goal!!! If Boston wins tomorrow against Ottawa, Montreal plays the Leafs in the first round. If Boston loses in regulation or in overtime, the Bruins play the Leafs. Either way, Toronto will be on the golf course in short order. :D

17. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Chi-town.

18. Frampton129

Frampton129 Senior Member

The Blue Jackets didn't make the playoffs, but their season turned out much better than anybody expected. Halfway through the season it appeared like they were fighting for a high draft pick instead of a playoff spot.

I'm also a fan of the Wings and Penguins, so hopefully they'll meet again in the finals.

2 people like this.
  19. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

bruins win it all

20. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qVLJQEIJI]Let's go rangers - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.