2013 LP Traditional Shrill treble question

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by liberator32, Apr 26, 2013.

1. liberator32

liberator32 Senior Member

OK I know this is asked a lot but I am not sure what to do. 2013 LP traditional with 57+ in the bridge with orange cap. Single notes are really shrill, it's not my amp or EQ as I have been using it for a while and have already adjusted the EQ accordingly.

Is the cap the culprit? If so, what do I replace it with?

I have a flying with with a JB in the bridge that I love. I also DIG the low end out of the LP and rolling back the tone isn't an option as we play a lot of changes (metal) and I need the high end for chords.

Already done:
    EQ changes
    pickup height
    pole piece height

Thinking of a "darker" PUP but not sure which; really dig the "chug" when palm muting the 57+.

Thanks!

2. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

Ya those 57's get good reviews here but IMO they are a bit flabby. I'd try, before spending money, adjust pickup height. If that doesn't work try the Duncan's you mentioned. Go from there.

Sorry I read that you adjusted the pick up height a bit late. Again those 57's may not be for everyone. I swapped mine for Dimarzio 36th Anneversay PAF's. they are a bit tighter sounding, but may not be for you because you're looking for something darker...

3. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

What cap value are you using .022?

4. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

I had the exact same problem in my tradtional with the 57+ you need to find a different pickup!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ian Coros

Ian Coros Member

If you want a pickup with tone and balls , I highly recommend the BK Rebel Yell. works very nicely in a LP

6. icantbuyafender

icantbuyafender Senior Member

just dont put in a 498T... shrill devils, they be

1 person likes this.
  7. CapeRR

CapeRR Senior Member

Back the tone knob down to 8 and that will smooth out any ice pickiness.

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

"...it's not my amp or EQ as I have been using it for a while and have already adjusted the EQ accordingly."
    Um, yeah it is.
    Using the amp and guitar for a while and have adjusted them accordingly? To what? Obviously not to taste.

When you put a different guitar into the mix the entire setup of amp and EQ need tweaking. If they didn't sound entirely different why change guitars at all?

9. LPSPP

LPSPP Senior Member

just dont put in a Burstbucker... shrill devils, they be :lol:

The Duncan "Custom Custom" is designed for Brighter Guitars.

I thinking you have a different problem though.
    I've never ran across a bright, shrill treble LP before. :hmm:

10. Ozzy Mandeus

Ozzy Mandeus Senior Member

I was thinking that - My trad with '57s is the darkest sounding of my guitars to the point where I often have to eq the treble up, and I have a SG with a JB in the bridge that has the opposite problem.

11. liberator32

I meant that I know the amp by heart, I have adjusted the EQ to compensate for the guitar change and it boils down to the guitar being shrill in all amps I have tried it in.

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Ah, gotcha.

13. laterider

laterider Premium Member

I have not yet gigged out with my 2012 Trad that has the 57+ bridge, however I recently had my 2011 Trad Pro out through a DSL and noticed the BB3 bridge definitely has a lot of 'top end', I wound up being fine with some eq changes.

People do call them 'trebley' also, but I am still a big fan of the 498T (and 490R combo) in my guitars. I guess its just what I'm used to and sounds 'right' to me, I think the BB3 has more top end than the 498T. I will probably get a 490R/498T for my Trad Pro to see if I can get it to 'my zone'.

I do wish that Gibson would publish more information about their pickups. I am a fan of their pickups and usually don't do aftermarket stuff, but if Gibson would publish some frequency related data for their pickups rather than just relative output I think we could all find our 'zone' a little better.

14. M.C.J.

M.C.J. Senior Member

If you like the JB in the bridge of your flying V, and you want to keep the neckpup of your LP Trad, then you might need to get another JB for the LP Trad.

Another option you can choose (which also requires buying a new pup) would be getting a pup with a ceramic magnet that is hotter/more output and a higher DC resistance rating. This makes sense since you said you play metal. Pups with ceramic magnets are a little "darker" but are also very powerful in terms of output. I have a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion bridge pup and a SD PATB neck; both have ceramics mags; both have a unique winding, but the SD PATB Distortion has extreme output and a vicious DC Rating of over 21 K (fools in doubt can check it out: Seymour Duncan. Ceramics, high output, high DC resistance, yeah, it aint for everybody, and you damn well need to be sure that your amp is designed for some high gain tones and a tight output section in order to get the best out of these type of pups (no, sticking a mega distortion pedal inside a non-high gain amp aint gonna cut it).

Good luck.

15. liberator32

I think the JB is the answer. It's tried an true for me. My hesitancy lays in the fact that NONE of my other guitars with the JB have a maple cap. I had a JB in my last LP (2002 Classic) and it never sounded quite "right" to me, but that could have been a number of things.

16. liberator32

Also, would you guys recommend keeping the orange drop cap. should I do a swap?

17. liberator32

I "zeroed" all the pole pieces and started fresh with an open mind. Problem solved, sorry if I wasted anyone's time. I appreciate those that offered advice.

3 people like this.
  18. stealthelephant

stealthelephant Senior Member

I'm surprised nobody asked for a recording.

19. gpasq

gpasq Senior Member

Pics or it didn't happen. :lol:

20. liberator32

I know, me too. Here's me getting 35k views playing an acoustic guitar in my loft. Someday I will record some of the LP. I play in a metal band and it doesn't work so well recording at home in my loft.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ49ZsgPZx8]Dancing Days Unplugged Acoustic - YouTube[/ame]