MyLesPaul.com

MyLesPaul.com (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/)
-   The Squawk Box (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/)
-   -   Solid States, Tubes, Stacks, and Combos! (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/2628-solid-states-tubes-stacks-combos.html)

lp59aholicDon 11-21-2007 02:21 AM

Re: Solid States, Tubes, Stacks, and Combos!

Quote:

Originally Posted by meximetal (Post 40191)
Haha!What I still don't understand is this:
What's the difference between buying an Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo (2x12 w/ Celestion Vintage 30's) 50 watts and an Orange Rockerverb 50 Head with an Orange Celestion fitted Cabinet (2x12 w/Celestion Vintage 30's)? I see a lot of youtube videos with guys having this 1/4 stack.

Ok, Open Back cabs vs Combos, A Sealed Cab, 1 12" 2/12/s , 4/12 are pretty directional Straight out front Combos you have sound also coming out of the back, its an " airer " sound, more expansive Trust me, I just got in from Giggin my 50 watt Combo, My amp never came off 1/4th its power potential 25 watts can be ALOT of amp ,expecially if its tubes . IF your going to look for things as expensive as the Orange, Look at a Mesa 2:25 Express or the 5:50 Express Great tube amps great tone , plenty of options

Monster 11-21-2007 09:03 AM

I'm getting more of a feel for your situation from your posts, and I gotta say I'd advise against financing a big tube amp (or really any music gear unless you need it for your primary income). Why be a typical American moron with the bulk of your income going to pay off interest to make somebody else rich? Take your time, learn about amps, decide which amp your really interested in, and eventually get it. In the meantime you just need a good gigging amp that can keep up with a band - I'd suggest 50 to 100 watts if solid state and 25 to 50 watts if tube, probably a combo, and somewhere in the $300 to $600 range. Used is fine, as long as it works well. For dirt cheap and bulletproof, get an older Peavey plus the overdrive pedal that sounds best to you (I'd try a Bad Monkey or one of the Marshall pedals) and you're good to go. Yes, there is a tonal difference and nothing beats a great tube amp, but your chops, stage presence, song selection and personality are considerably more important than which amp you're playing through to your success in this game.

MIDNIGHT 11-21-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meximetal (Post 40191)
Haha! The Oranges sound sweet, and UnderOATH uses them which is definitely a plus for me. They're so expensive that I'll have to do a little bit of financing. I'm a young gun, so it will build my credit up anyways.

The thing is, I don't take music too seriously. My friends are complete music junkies. Their day consists of finding new riffs everyday. Personally that's not me, but I like to rock none the less. A tube amp will cover me nicely because I do full blown practices with my friend's band, and drum/guitar practice with my neighbor. Although the DeVille is 60 watts, 50 watts would be ideal right? I don't want to be pushing 100 to get a good tone!

What I still don't understand is this:
What's the difference between buying an Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo (2x12 w/ Celestion Vintage 30's) 50 watts and an Orange Rockerverb 50 Head with an Orange Celestion fitted Cabinet (2x12 w/Celestion Vintage 30's)? I see a lot of youtube videos with guys having this 1/4 stack.

underoath!!!!!!! :dude: :dude: :dude:

nice taste :cool:

:thumb:

:hippie:

meximetal 11-21-2007 02:35 PM

Yep, UnderOATH is definitely a big inspiration to me! Timothy McTague is awesome. He only uses Orange cabs w/ Marshall plexi's, but James uses all Orange I believe.

meximetal 11-21-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster (Post 40275)
I'm getting more of a feel for your situation from your posts, and I gotta say I'd advise against financing a big tube amp (or really any music gear unless you need it for your primary income). Why be a typical American moron with the bulk of your income going to pay off interest to make somebody else rich? Take your time, learn about amps, decide which amp your really interested in, and eventually get it. In the meantime you just need a good gigging amp that can keep up with a band - I'd suggest 50 to 100 watts if solid state and 25 to 50 watts if tube, probably a combo, and somewhere in the $300 to $600 range. Used is fine, as long as it works well. For dirt cheap and bulletproof, get an older Peavey plus the overdrive pedal that sounds best to you (I'd try a Bad Monkey or one of the Marshall pedals) and you're good to go. Yes, there is a tonal difference and nothing beats a great tube amp, but your chops, stage presence, song selection and personality are considerably more important than which amp you're playing through to your success in this game.

I like your evaluation, and I'd like to think that money is well invested if I invest in something well worth it. Cost should not be worrisome if it's something I have faith in. I definitely ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research (seeking opinions of local music shops and what not). I'm looking for something in the long run. Something professional, to match my guitars. Ultimately I definitely do not want to buy a temporary amp, and then buy another down the road. I'll need something for my current needs, and then perhaps down the road I'll buy a DeVille or something of that sort. I need a combo because I have a Jeep Wrangler that will make it very difficult to put half stacks in. But back to the 50 watt head w/ 2x12 vs. a 50 watt combo w/ 2x12. I don't understand lp59's explanation. Can someone be a little bit clearer?
Thanks.

Monster 11-21-2007 03:19 PM

Bottom line explanation is that with the head and cabs you've got 2 trips instead of one, and most combos are open back with changes the dispersion character - they're less directional and have a bit less focussed bass. That's about it.

Monster 11-21-2007 03:23 PM

One other thought, as far as the "professional" part goes - if you go downtown and check to see what most of the working bar bands use, then you'll know what is cost-effective and reliable. If your band isn't playing stadiums and you don't have pro roadies to baby your gear I'd look for some "professional" gear. Its mostly the bedroom wankers and occasional giggers with day jobs that have the "boutique" stuff, and if we have sense we're careful about what we gig with.

meximetal 11-21-2007 03:24 PM

Oh I see. I know that the 2x12 are closed back, but I can't find anything about the Rockerverb 50 being open or closed! I'd be getting more out of a head and 2x12 then?

Monster 11-21-2007 03:44 PM

If by "more" you mean output power, you might get slightly more bass. Its not really more, just different.

meximetal 11-21-2007 05:38 PM

I see. Thanks everyone thus far!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lp59aholicDon (Post 40198)
IF your going to look for things as expensive as the Orange, Look at a Mesa 2:25 Express or the 5:50 Express Great tube amps great tone , plenty of options

Also, I looked up the Mesa Express 2:25 and 5:50. They look sturdy but the majority of people were "not impressed" with this particular Mesa, according to harmony central! Friday I'm tripping down the hill to look at the Orange I'm interested, as well as heading to both Sam Ash and Guitar Center to try every amp possible, although I don't think too highly of Sam Ash. Anyone else feel the same? It's an amp crusade! :io: I plan on looking at the Marshall JVM, Spyder line that worked with Bogner, and whatever else tickles my fancy. I really hope that I make progress.

lp59aholicDon 11-21-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meximetal (Post 40558)
I see. Thanks everyone thus far!
Also, I looked up the Mesa Express 2:25 and 5:50. They look sturdy but the majority of people were "not impressed" with this particular Mesa, according to harmony central! Friday I'm tripping down the hill to look at the Orange I'm interested, as well as heading to both Sam Ash and Guitar Center to try every amp possible, although I don't think too highly of Sam Ash. Anyone else feel the same? It's an amp crusade! :io: I plan on looking at the Marshall JVM, Spyder line that worked with Bogner, and whatever else tickles my fancy. I really hope that I make progress.

Meximetal, I have come to learn alot of folks who have written on there must have tin ears or too high expectations, I was pretty impressed and I am not a major Mesa fan , though they are getting better, as I now Own a Mesa, and I'd trade my Recto verb for either of these amps straight across

brettk7 11-21-2007 11:50 PM

Underoath uses a lot of cool gear. Just seen them not too long ago with Maylene and the Sons of Disaster (one of my favorite bands!), Every Time I Die, and Poison the Well.

I thought Dallas was gonna get up on stage and do some old Underoath with them. They did an encore and he was up there, everybody was yelling old UO songs.... Then he didn't do it!!!

meximetal 11-22-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lp59aholicDon (Post 40569)
Meximetal, I have come to learn alot of folks who have written on there must have tin ears or too high expectations, I was pretty impressed and I am not a major Mesa fan , though they are getting better, as I now Own a Mesa, and I'd trade my Recto verb for either of these amps straight across

Yes, that could also be very true. I'll test as many as I can this coming Friday, so I hope everything goes good. I'll keep you updated. :fingersx:

meximetal 11-22-2007 01:26 AM

By the way, what do all of you think about humbuckermusic.com? Anyone ever use it? They seem to be undercutting the closest music store that sells them, and there's no tax with free shipping?! Am I trippin'?

Weldaar 11-23-2007 08:29 PM

Look around for an older Crate Vintage Club amp. I have a Vintage Club 30 that has tons of gain (which I never use BTW) It might just be what you can use. They can be had for under $300.

meximetal 11-24-2007 12:14 PM

I've made up my mind: Marshall JVM series!

Monster 11-24-2007 07:07 PM

I hope it works well for you. Not what I would have chosen, but thats why they make lots of different amps! I thought based on your first comments you might end up with a Marshall or something close to it. Enjoy!

meximetal 11-24-2007 07:57 PM

We're all different brother. I have a need for extreme versatility. I tried the Orange amps out, but they didn't have that much gain, or much control. They sound extremely cool clean, and distorted for that matter, but my Marshall "set my ear" if you will. Moreover, Orange deals their amps on a set price where Marshall gives the seller flexibility. I haven't paid for it yet, but I could get it for $2000 no tax, out the door.

coldsteal2 11-25-2007 05:39 PM

A freind of mine from myspace and marshall forum just bought
a new JVM yesterday, he absolutely loves it, hes used to lots of
settings so it was perfect for him.

Paul 11-27-2007 05:19 PM

id say go for a hybrid their allot more fun and a bit more affordable than some of the more serious tube amps. vox valvetronix i would recomend thats why i got one.

Adwex 11-27-2007 05:39 PM

Keep in mind that a tube 2x12 combo is gonna be heavy. If that's an issue, you can make 2 "somewhat lighter" trips to the car with a separate head and cab. Just something to consider.

Personally, I'd prefer a head/cab. You can always upgrade to a 4x12 someday, and keep the head.

Adwex 11-27-2007 05:40 PM

Have you considered a Marshall Valvestate? They have a tube preamp, with a solid state power amp. They're cheaper than all tube, and they don't sound bad. alot of them have built in effects too.

Just another thing to consider.

meximetal 11-28-2007 01:11 AM

I tested the Valvetronix and it was pretty cool! They featured it in Guitar Magazine. Also, I tried the Marshall Valvestate but it seemed like an awkward amp. I tried one at Guitar Center and I didn't like the depth of the OD. I want the tube warmth and height

coldsteal2 11-30-2007 11:16 PM

The AVT50 is a great amp, but the larger ones arent
so great. I do alot of recording with my AVT50
you put a better speaker in them and it cleans up the tone.

meximetal 11-30-2007 11:55 PM

I would need a 2x12 version at minimum! lol

LoKi 12-01-2007 03:05 PM

2x12 means a lot of weight to carry. I find a 1x12 can be just enough, especially if you mic it through a PA.

Also I'm with Don... there are tons of great Mesa combos out there. I've never played a bad one. The only Mesa I don't really like is the Rec series... other than the Single Rec. The Dual and the Triple don't work for me.

meximetal 12-01-2007 05:58 PM

It definitely is a lot of weight! Something I had to face when I had my Marshall SS. haha I'm okay with it. Perhaps I'll get a JVM head and an Orange 2x12 cab. I'm still going back and forth with that idea. What should I do??!! Also, I played the Mesa Express series, and they didn't have too much gain to them. I'd prefer a 2x12 speaker because it pushes 12 more inches of air. I jam with a full band and nothing gets miked.