LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By yawny
  • 1 Post By yawny
  • 1 Post By rjwilson37
  • 3 Post By yawny
  • 1 Post By studio1087

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Marshall DSL15 or Orange Tiny Terror or OR15? Another lame comparison thread!

I'm interested in these amps for the music room in my new house. I finally have the space for a head & cabinet setup, or I can stick with combos. Before I go out testing amps in the upcoming weekends, I am wondering what everybody thinks about these amps. I'll give what I initially like about the amps:

I like the setup on the Marshall. 2 channels and reverb really appeal to me. I'm open to either the combo or the head and a separate 1x12 cabinet. Any experiences?

The Tiny Terror looks pretty great too in either the head or 12" combo. These have been around for a little while and still seem very popular, so Orange must have done something right with the Tiny Terror.

The OR15 seems to be a grown up Terror to me, but the combo is not an option here. I like the expanded EQ over the Terror. I like the effects loop as well, and it's the only one that has this. It seems that the OR15 is better than the Tiny, but is it?

I'm really interested and hoping that ya'll have some great insight on these amps! What did you like? What did you not? What did you get if you didn't like it?
hoosiervolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Marshall DSL15 or Orange Tiny Terror or OR15? Another lame comparison thread!

I have had very limited experience with the heads here other than the Tiny Terror, which I have fiddled with for around an hour or so. Take it for what it's worth.

I found the DSL15 sounds fairly fizzy at higher gains and really doesn't sound like its bigger siblings at all.

The TT is a nice little amp. You can get some good sounds out of it though I found it has next to no cleans and what cleans it does have aren't all that great to my ears. It's not a vintage voiced amp but it isn't modern either.

The OR is more vintage voiced than the TT to my ears. It's also a little more tweakable and has the loop and full tone controls, which is always better. It really appeals to me actually and I was considering it for awhile but it isn't what I need right now.
Rhust likes this.
2007 Fender Nocaster Reissue
5E3 Tweed Deluxe Clone
Handmade 2x12
Yamaha FG730S
Harmony H400A
yawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Marshall DSL15 or Orange Tiny Terror or OR15? Another lame comparison thread!

Of those 3, I like the OR15 better, it comes pretty close to the TT tone wise and then you add a bunch of other goodies, Bass/Middle/Trebel and an effects loop to go beyond what the TT can do.

The DSL15 doesn't have what it should, which is everything the DSL40 has but in a 15/7 watt combination. The DSL15 is missing a whole classic/hard rock tone variation, having only the OD2 for channel 2. The clean channel is too clean and the gain channel is too much gain. The DSL40 has the Clean/Crunch on the 1st channel and OD1/OD2 on the 2nd channel as well as an effects loop.
2013 Fender Duane Peters Sonoran Acoustic-Electric
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo w/Eminence Governor
Blackheart 1x12 Cabinet w/Eminence Wizard
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yawny took the words out of my mouth... If orange amps could get cleans I'd own one by now

AMPs:
Blackstar HT5
Egnater tweaker 15
Yamaha THR10X

too many pedals.

Rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I' m drawn between the same 3 amps, I agree totally that if the Marshall DSL 15 was more similar to the DSL40 (tubes, channels, loop) I would most likely be playing that now.

The choise between the Tiny Terror and OR15m is even more difficult. They are 2 great sounding amps that sound different enough imho you could make a case that to own both. The effects loop mand added tone control while desirable is not enough to push me to the OR15.

I plan to buy my new amp towards the end of May, so I have plenty of time to look and listen. Maybe something else great will be released by then?
bob143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob143 View Post
I plan to buy my new amp towards the end of May, so I have plenty of time to look and listen. Maybe something else great will be released by then?
Take your time and look around. I will say though that few to 0 companies will release a new amp model between now and then since winter NAMM was just a little bit ago.

One thing to take note of: The OR15 and TT have an identical or nearly identical power section and only vary significantly in the preamp section. The TT is somewhat or it's own beast in the preamp while the OR15 takes a lot away from the TH series of amps. Neither is gonna gives you anything other than fat cleans at lower volumes but at 15 watts you can't expect to get cleans at higher volumes. If i were you i would lean toward the OR15. More gain on tap if you need it, full tone controls, good FX loop, very good master volume and it has a head shell so it'll be a little more resistant to bumps and bruises than the TT.

Just my final .02
user xyz likes this.
5E3 Tweed Deluxe Clone
Handmade 2x12
Yamaha FG730S
Harmony H400A
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

yawny, I don't think the OR15 has more gain, it just seems that way since you can turn the mids/bass/trebel up and it seems like it has more gain. I played the Tweaker, DT and OR15 a lot when I was looking at a low watt amp with an effects loop for home/recording and small gigs.
user xyz likes this.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I believe it has a fourth gain stage while the TT had only three. And while the TT can get dirtier than most 3 gain stage amps, the OR15 fundamentally has more gain on tap.

However it does have a more vintage voice to my ear, so it may not be percieved as such by some.
rjwilson37, Rhust and user xyz like this.
5E3 Tweed Deluxe Clone
Handmade 2x12
Yamaha FG730S
Harmony H400A
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I believe they tried to make the or15 mor like the vintage or50..

Or you can forego cleans altogether and get the dark terror(fuzzy) or the Jim root terror ( based on the rockerverb)

AMPs:
Blackstar HT5
Egnater tweaker 15
Yamaha THR10X

too many pedals.

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Singin' the body lectric

FWIW, it is a very simple 3 or 4 step mod to give the DSL 15 a Lead1 Ultra Ch instead of Lead2 and remove the buzziness (snip out two caps, add a resistor, MAYBE switch a CAP depending on board, Marshall DSL15h - MODDED). Easy to get vintage to modern, classic marshall OD tone.

So then it's down to whether you like the Orange or Marshall OD tone.
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Marshall scares me because I had a Haze 15 and there was no way to set the tone knobs such that they worked for both the clean and dirty channels. If the clean channel sounded spanky and warm then the gain channel sounded like mud. If the gain channel was bright then the clean channel sounded way too thin.

I always used my Haze as a one channel amp.

I have a Tiny Terror and it's a lot of fun.

If you want a good 15 watt amp that does anything get a Blues Junior.

The Ibanez TSA15H is also a great Amp.
Rhust likes this.
(guitars) 4 Les Pauls – 4 SG’s – 4 Melody Makers – 1 Firebird – 5 Tele’s – 3 Strats – 1 PRS – 2 Ibanez – 6 CF Martin – 2 Taylor – 2 Larrivee – 4 Yamaha (amps) 2 DR Z – 5 Fender – 2 Marshall – 4 VOX – 1 Jet City – 1 Fishman (pedals) 2 boards + 43 more

John
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

For the OR15 you can check out some sounds in this review: Orange OR15 Review : With a Strong Fruit Flavor - Audiofanzine
Audiofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhust View Post
I believe they tried to make the or15 mor like the vintage or50..

Or you can forego cleans altogether and get the dark terror(fuzzy) or the Jim root terror ( based on the rockerverb)
Do you really think the DT is fuzzy, I think the gain on the DT is great. I have found that it is a little darker than I like, so I would have to put an EQ in the effects loop, but other than that, it sounds awesome.

I have found that most of the Orange amps are a bit darker sounding and not just the Dark Terror, hence by name I guess it may be a little darker, but still they all seem a little dark to me. I guess that is just the Orange tone though on a lot of there amps.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 View Post
Of those 3, I like the OR15 better, it comes pretty close to the TT tone wise and then you add a bunch of other goodies, Bass/Middle/Trebel and an effects loop to go beyond what the TT can do.

The DSL15 doesn't have what it should, which is everything the DSL40 has but in a 15/7 watt combination. The DSL15 is missing a whole classic/hard rock tone variation, having only the OD2 for channel 2. The clean channel is too clean and the gain channel is too much gain. The DSL40 has the Clean/Crunch on the 1st channel and OD1/OD2 on the 2nd channel as well as an effects loop.
I'm glad to know that as I was considering the dsl15h and retubing it with nos RCA 12ax7a and 6v6gt , that latter of which is a particularly sweet sounding tube that is fairly common. Only one stage of gain is a deal breaker. I would'nt even consider the Orange amp after playing my neighbors a lot. It's closer to Mesa, I guess I would use it if drop tune Metal was my thing, and I only played wide open. I can build an 18 watt 1974x clone that blows all of em away, but would need to be frontloaded. Cheap though. I'm using old telecom back plane covers and punching those to save few dollars. My test amp which is completed electronically but not cosmetically, has about 200$ total invested with most of the money in transformers.
Gibson es-125
Gibson SG Special
Gibson LP Studio '60s tribute
Gibson '50s tribute Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Bc Rich Mockingbird Bass USA 1986
Marshall JTM45 combo
Gretsch 6160 Chet Atkins "Country Gentleman" amplifier
Marshall JVM210h
Marshall Class 5 head
epi Valve Jr head
Robert Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 View Post
Do you really think the DT is fuzzy, I think the gain on the DT is great. I have found that it is a little darker than I like, so I would have to put an EQ in the effects loop, but other than that, it sounds awesome.

I have found that most of the Orange amps are a bit darker sounding and not just the Dark Terror, hence by name I guess it may be a little darker, but still they all seem a little dark to me. I guess that is just the Orange tone though on a lot of there amps.
idk to me the gain sounded a little fuzzy, and definitely dark. but it's not a bad ting, I'm just saying compared to a 'traditional' marshall-esque gain that can get that static fizz... and it's definitely part of the orange persona... oranges in general, to me sound a bit darker & thicker the DT is just darker and thicker than the jim root, which sounds better to my ears.... even the tiny terror sounds a bit darkish in most clips...

AMPs:
Blackstar HT5
Egnater tweaker 15
Yamaha THR10X

too many pedals.