• 1 Post By lucidspoon
  • 2 Post By rinoatl
  • 3 Post By cybermgk
  • 1 Post By rjwilson37
  • 2 Post By DuffB
  • 1 Post By RNP
  • 1 Post By HRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Good deal? Bugera V22

I have a chance to buy a Bugera V22 in excellent shape for 250US.

Is this a good deal?

I can also trade it straight up for a used Line 6 POD HD500 that I never use. Is that throwing the HD500 away?

Feedback appreciated.
DuffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Good deal? Bugera V22

If the Bugera is in good shape, it sounds like a pretty good buy. I don't know how well they're built, but all the samples I've heard of them are surprisingly good for something in that price range, especially the drive channel. If yo udon't use the Pod, then might as well swap unless you can get more money selling it.
MiniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will swap the Line 6, no problem. I don't use it.

I'm just wondering about the V22. The only Bugera thing I've had is a speaker in an excellent SS amp, my Behringer GM110 analog modeling amp. Surprisingly good for a Behringer product.

I would like to have a nice small two channel combo with overdrive. I have a DRRI and an AC15c1, which are nice clean amps, but they don't have the overdrive channels. I have a LOUD HRDX that has a terrible overdrive channel.

I may meet this guy tonight and make the trade.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bugeras are known for being cheap in both price and build quality. They're supposed be OK sounding, but there seems to be a 50/50 chance of them blowing within a few months of use.

I wouldn't go for it myself. There's a lot better cheap stuff out there for $250.
Iron Broadsword likes this.
Fender JA-90 Telecaster Ebony Transparent
Aria Pro II TA-50
Pedal
Boss SD-1
Amps
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Marshall Class5 Head
Blackstar HT Studio 20H
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Cabinets
Marshall MC412 w/ Stock Celestion Rocket 50s
Blackstar HTV-212 w/ Stock Celestion Seventy 80s
lucidspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

they do sound good for the price range but ive heard lots of complaints about them not lasting long
rinoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidspoon View Post
Bugeras are known for being cheap in both price and build quality. They're supposed be OK sounding, but there seems to be a 50/50 chance of them blowing within a few months of use.

I wouldn't go for it myself. There's a lot better cheap stuff out there for $250.
Depending on how long the previous owner has been using it, it may have already passed the "blowing up" period.

Some songs
http://soundcloud.com/cynic79
cynic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

It was bought new six months ago and works great. I would write a "guarantee that it works right" into the bill of sale, with nullification of the trade if it doesn't, within a period of maybe two weeks of use.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffB View Post
It was bought new six months ago and works great. I would write a "guarantee that it works right" into the bill of sale, with nullification of the trade if it doesn't, within a period of maybe two weeks of use.
I would think that no one is going to sell a used amp and give you a guarantee, especially since he wants to sell it or trade for a POD HD500.

The Bugera V22 has a beautiful clean, but the gain is pretty weak and sounds pretty much one dimentional and the same no matter what you do. I had one, and there was a bad rattle when I played any type of higher gain with it when ever I would hit certain notes. It was anoying and I sold it for $200 and purchased a Mustang III, which I actually liked a lot better. The Bugera V22 is really for a Jazz or Blues player, not for any kind of rock, except slow rock without gain.
2014 EVH Striped Series Red, Black & White
Amps
Marshall SL-5
Vox Night Train 15H
Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo w/Eminence Governor
Blackheart 1x12 Cabinet w/Eminence Wizard
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Singin' the body lectric

THese Bugera "I've heard " statments irk me a tad. Bugera Amps, had QC issues when they first came out a few years ago. THis manifested in a lot of amps breaking early in their owners use (read first month or two). Said QC issues were rectified, also a bit back in time by now. However, a lot of people still parrot "They break down all the time" from those early days, today. What is produced today is built as well as anything coming out of asia, as far as construction. Granted, they do use SOME cheaper less critical componants. But, they are still incredible 'bang for the buck' amps.

NOW, all of that said. your HD500 typically goes used for more than a used V22. HD500 low end used is $300, and typically goes for $350. V22 is from $200-320, with most right at that $250 mark +/- $10.

If you were to sell the HD500, there are a few 2 Ch options, used out there at that price (Peavey Classic 30 or Delta BLues, close to a Blackstar HT20 range)

If he HAS had it long (and used it), or it's a newer construction, then likely no issues to worry about. So give it a try and see if you like the way it sounds, etc. No harm in that.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

The V22 was bought new about six months ago. It is supposed to be in great shape, which I will find out if I go there tonight.

I have been trying to trade the Line 6 around here for quite some time and there has been little enthusiasm. Most of the people want real tube amps and don't like digital stuff. Some of them have said that they prefer the analog multi pedals. The Line 6 is a decent item though, in my opinion.

I don't mind if I don't get full value out of the Line 6, because it just sits here, I don't use it, and I'm not getting much interest in it.

If I buy a V22 and it blows up I won't be happy, but it won't be because I don't have the Line 6 anymore.

Any other points of view or experiences with the V22?
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If I buy a V22 and it blows up I won't be happy, but it won't be because I don't have the Line 6 anymore.

Any other points of view or experiences with the V22?
What type of music are you playing? I purchased the V22 because of all the tube amp hype after using SS amps all my life, and I did like the clean channel. But... I don't play clean very much and I just thought the amp overall did not sound very good, because I had not clue what I wanted for tone in a tube amp, since I never played tube amps much at all. So I traded the V22 for a Mustang III and used the Mustang III for a year as my playing improved and I really started to find a lot of tones I liked since the Mustang III is so versatile in giving great tones modeled by many different types of tube amps.

Anway, I did find my tone and after about 3-4 months of trying different tube amps in my price range, I did find one that I liked. Now I have another and I like it very much as well, but I will never go back to a V22, since it did not have a gain tone that I liked.
Iron Broadsword likes this.
2014 EVH Striped Series Red, Black & White
Amps
Marshall SL-5
Vox Night Train 15H
Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo w/Eminence Governor
Blackheart 1x12 Cabinet w/Eminence Wizard
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Does it have the amber jewel light or the blue? The newer ones have an amber light and seem to be pretty trouble free. I have just bought one which was built in Jan 2012 and it has had none of the issues that the earlier versions had; namely voltage problems causing random channel change (requires heat sinks) or helicopter sounds from the reverb. The earlier ones tended to overheat which led to problems but the newer ones are fine. the only issue is that the metal tube cage may vibrate and is best removed. One screw is inaccessible because of the speaker, so best get an amp tech do it. (Requires speaker removal or the chassis lifted off.) Worth doing, though. Awesome sounding amp if you like a vintage, bluesy sound. The clean channel has the exact same schematic as the Fender Princeton! I paid 200 recently, which I think is around $250? Well worth it, in my opinion. 2 channel, normal/bright inputs, boost switch, digital reverb, FX loop, Pentode/Triode switch....I'm thinking of selling my Fender Blues Junior. It's a great amp but just not as versatile as the Bugera.....

Guitars
Squier Fat Strat Metallic Sherwood Green HSS Pickups
Vintage V100GT Les Paul Gold Top with mini humbuckers fitted
Vintage V100MRPGM Les Paul Lemon Drop (Peter Green)
Vintage VS6 SG Translucent Cherry with Seymour Duncan SH1-N (Jazz) neck and SH-4 JB (Jeff Beck) bridge pickups and N-Tune tuning system

Amps
Fender Blues Junior Tube Combo-15 watts
Bugera Vintage 22 Tube Combo-22 watts
Vox VT20+ Hybrid (Valve Reactor) Modelling Combo-20 watts

Pedals
Boss JS-10 eband (with 2 x Boss GT100 Processors)
Dunlop JH-1B Jimi Hendrix Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey Transparent Overdrive Pedal
Lloydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mine has a mfg. date code of "1 0 08", which is August of 2010 I think. It has a super bright greenish power on amp light.

I got a reply from Bugera customer care regarding the build date code and they said that it was manufactured after the channel switching and helicopter reverb problems were corrected.

I have tested the amp vigorously since I got it and it has not demonstrated any channel switching or the helicopter reverb problem.

The amp is in totally new condition, inside and out, and has obviously not been used. It must have been in a box since there is zero evidence of use anywhere on the amp.

It sounds great and runs very cool. The tube cage does not get more than slightly warm, even after being on for over two hours, and after loud playing. The top of the amp has not felt more than very slightly warm. There is zero build up of heat inside the amp. I suppose this is a good thing.

I like this amp a lot.

What do you think?
Lloydy and Iron Broadsword like this.
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
RNP

I have both the V22 and a V55HD with 4x12 cabinet. I used the V22 two nights a week in the bar for 1 1/2 years before switching to the V55HD. The only problem I had with the V22 was I had to replace a tube one year into its use. I still use the V22 for other shows where I am too lazy to disrupt the bar setup.

One thing I did was to build an extension cabinet to the same dimensions as the V22 and put a Celestion into that. At the practice hall (read downstairs playroom) it sounds great with one speaker on each side of the room. We also do the same onstage with one cab on each side of the stage and the same with each of the bassists cabinets
Lloydy likes this.
2009 Vintage VR100LM - TV yellow
2010 Vintage V100IT - Refinished as aged burst
2010 Vintage V52BS - Butterscotch Tele
2011 Vintage AV1 - Goldtop
RNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Who
Premium Member

I've had the V22. It is a decent amp. Has some great sound. People who have ”heard this" or "that" about them....might not be the most useful perspective. I really enjoyed mine.

As mentioned before, your HD is worth more.

Once you have $300 in your pocket, you have more options. I sold my v22 for $250, and bought a Fender Blues Jr for $275. And a Peavey Classic 30 for $300.

I don't regret having owned the v22, and don't regret having sold it. Both the Peavey and the BJ are less "versatile", but both sound enough better (to me) that I don't miss the v22. The v22 was good at a lot, but not great at anything.

The Peavey IS great at some things, and really good at others. The BJ is FANTASTIC at its core job, and really good at other things.

If you get the V22, I expect you'll be just passing through, and go onto another tube amp later. If that's the case, you'd be losing trade-leverage by giving up the HD.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
HRC

I've used a V22 quite a few times at one of the Blues Jams I used to go to and I always thought it sounded very good with my Les Pauls and Strats.
Lloydy likes this.
The more you drink the better I sound
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Mine has a mfg. date code of "1 0 08", which is August of 2010 I think. It has a super bright greenish power on amp light.

I got a reply from Bugera customer care regarding the build date code and they said that it was manufactured after the channel switching and helicopter reverb problems were corrected.

I have tested the amp vigorously since I got it and it has not demonstrated any channel switching or the helicopter reverb problem.

The amp is in totally new condition, inside and out, and has obviously not been used. It must have been in a box since there is zero evidence of use anywhere on the amp.

It sounds great and runs very cool. The tube cage does not get more than slightly warm, even after being on for over two hours, and after loud playing. The top of the amp has not felt more than very slightly warm. There is zero build up of heat inside the amp. I suppose this is a good thing.

I like this amp a lot.

What do you think?
That's good to hear! Mine's the same....I've run it for over an hour, with a guitar plugged in and the footswitch in (which is also vastly improved on the early ones, which used to break a lot) and there has been no channel switching or helicopter sounds on the reverb. I think some people just assume that these are bad amps, based on the early examples. It is fair to say that there were lots of problems but it appears that Bugera has really sorted the issues out. The only problem now is a vibrating tube cage (which wasn't even warm when I felt it) which I will remove and I will have a full set of JJ tubes installed. That should make an already great amp awesome!

Guitars
Vintage VS6 SG Translucent Cherry with Seymour Duncan SH1-N (Jazz) neck and SH-4 JB (Jeff Beck) bridge pickups and N-Tune tuning system

Amps
Vox VT20+ Hybrid (Valve Reactor) Modelling Combo-20 watts (30 watts max)

Pedals
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Lloydy,

What is the mfg. date code on your V22? It is located on the back of the amp. It is a white sticker and says date code on it and has four digits; mine is "1 0 08", August of 2010.

What color does the amp power on light glow on yours? Mine is a very bright green/blue. I put a piece of electrical tape over it to shield most of its intense light, because I play a lot late at night in the dark and it is blindingly bright and unsightly.

Good luck with the amp by the way. How long have you had it? What guitars are you playing thru it?
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

The mfg date code is 1 2 0 1, which is January 2012. The previous (and only other) owner bought it new in July, 2012. Mine has an amber jewel light, which I really like. It's not as dazzling as the blue light and I just think is more in keeping with a vintage styled amp. (There is a blue light on the footswitch, which could burn through your retinas!) Ha

I've only had the amp a week or so and I absolutely love it! It sounds awesome, although I probably will get the tubes swapped for JJ's, as I hear that the cheap Bugera tubes are a bit of a weak link, in an otherwise brilliant amp. I'm going to get the amp tech to leave the metal tube cage off...it's pointless and probably just put on as a legal health and safety requirement. Trouble is, they can vibrate (it's very near the speaker) which mine seems to be doing.

My current gear is listed below...the Vintage brand guitars are absolutely amazing quality and really inexpensive...

Just a thought....you may be able to change the jewel light? It probably just unscrews....maybe you could speak to Bugera (Behringer) and see if they would supply an amber replacement. It doesn't dazzle like the blue one and looks pretty cool (I think.)

Enjoy your amp, dude!

Guitars

Amps
Vox VT20+ Hybrid (Valve Reactor) Modelling Combo-20 watts (30 watts max)

Pedals
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Lloydy,

What is the mfg. date code on your V22? It is located on the back of the amp. It is a white sticker and says date code on it and has four digits; mine is "1 0 08", August of 2010.

What color does the amp power on light glow on yours? Mine is a very bright green/blue. I put a piece of electrical tape over it to shield most of its intense light, because I play a lot late at night in the dark and it is blindingly bright and unsightly.

Good luck with the amp by the way. How long have you had it? What guitars are you playing thru it?
I've now had the tube cage taken off and the tubes swapped for a full set of JJ's. I must say I liked the sound with the original chinese tubes but I read that cheap chinese tubes aren't great, so i thought I'd get rid of them. Removing the tube cage, which appears solid, you can see that the two ends are just bent over and not connected to the other two sides and that's obviously where the vibration comes from. Now, no tube cage=no rattle. Result! So, I now have a bug free Bugera! Awesome amp for the money and totally undeserving of the bad reputation that the iffy earlier examples caused. Find a new/nearly new one and you've got a winner!

Just invested in a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in butterscotch blonde and a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster in two tone sunburst. yet to try them through the Bug but expecting good things....