Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By damndirtyape71
  • 1 Post By kingedb
  • 1 Post By redcoats1976
  • 1 Post By RonGibson
  • 1 Post By RonGibson
  • 1 Post By walter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fender Super Champ XD vs X2

I am a former working guitarist from the 90's (gigs/teaching/endorsement/ product specialst) who now is a very serious hobbyist. I'm a rock guy, with Eric Johnson, Bonamass and Allan Hinds as my grail tones.

After a short courtship with a Vibro Champ XD, I was in love with the portability and versatility of the sounds and amp voicings. I started noticing via You Tube that the XD had the Blackface Channel 1, as well as the amazing voicings as the VCXD. I was sold.. However, the XD has been discontinued so I took a drive to my local music retailer, and tried the X2.

My thought after about an 1 hour of various noodling and tinkering. I didn't like it. Why?

- The tap tempo is clumsy. I couldn't get it to get the timing down (mind you I've got a EHX Memory Man with Hazarai and a Flashback, so setting tap tempo isn't really a challenge. Just couldn't lock in with it.

- The voicings (namely #3 ) were weak, even compared to the 5 watt Vibro Champ I just prefered that compressed grit. The X2 didn't give it to me at all.
(#7 Deluxe 65) was a disapointment, I was expecting a bit more honk on that voicing. (14 and 15 the metal voicings were just mud.)

- The effects were almost digital sounding to my ears. I wonder if the FUSE integration effected that..

- No Middle selection switch was added to the X2.

- The FUSE intergration is not the full capacity as the G-Dec and Mustang. You can create presets to load onto the amp but the amp presets won't appear in what would normally be the preset window. Why? If you are going to do it, do it right.

- Doesn't come with a USB cable. Mustang does.

- Retail price of $349. A bit too much for a 'Vintage Modified Amp' in my opinion and to me, the value just isn't there.

I thought it was the guitars at the shop, so I actually came back with my Gibson Les Paul and my Squier Strat the next day to try and debunk my experience. I just had to admit to myseld, I don't love the X2.

Now, it's not all bad..

- The front Channel 1 is alone a reason to buy the amp. It's not 100% a Blackface sound, but it's a reasonable close tone for a quarter of the price.

- From what I understand with tweaking in FUSE you can get the voicings and F/X from the XD.

- The Marshall amp voicing are pretty awesome. Straight up.. awesome.

So I labored over this, actually have bought a car in shorter time, and decided to pass on the X2 and try and find an XD.

Found a used XD at a retailer for a good price, plugged it in and was impressed immediately.

The thing that does worry me is I hear that there are some reliability issues with the XD but for now that's on the side. I'm totally loving the XD. Got a decent Eric Johnson-y overdriven tone on voicing #3 with Delay that is a lot of fun.

I really wanted the X2 to kick my ass, it just didn't. Feel free to ask any questions. Happy to help with any insight or info in the decision process.
Rhust and Namelyguitar like this.
damndirtyape71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fender Super Champ XD vs X2

That's interesting. I had a SCXD for a short time and ending up returning it because it never fully sat well with me (some days it sounded good, other days I hated it). I think the lack of a 12" speaker had a lot to do with that.

I do like the Mustang III and its 12" speaker a lot, so I've been looking forward to checking out the X2, especially since it seems that the Super Champ models are now taken from the Mustang line (at least that's my understanding) and there's a head with a 12" speaker cab. Problem is, no store in my area has the darn thing yet. Grrr.

Anyway, have you played a Mustang III and did you like it? How do you feel it compares to the X2? A shame that you didn't like the Deluxe voicing on the X2, as that's my favorite voicing on the Mustang. I wonder if anything changed so much that it would sound good on the Mustang III, but not the X2 (of course, it could just be our personal tastes, too).
danzego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Too bad about voice 3 on the X2. Voice 3 on the SCXD is one of my favorites.

What are the reliability issues with the SCXD? I haven't heard of any.
stratoblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Danzego -

Didn't try the Mustang III, so I can't really base an opinion on that model. I did try the Mustang I and didn't love the onboard effects, probably stupid of me to base my opinion on that, but I did. I also like the dynamic responsiveness similiar that the XD/X2 have, I go from percussive funk playing to dynamic legato so that's a win.

I agree about personal taste, if you weren't feeling the XD, that might be the scenario.

I just think if anything if I'm getting either a Mustang or X2, I'm going Mustang. More value, lower cost and more versatility. Was not a fan of the X2.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Strato-

LOVE LOVE LOVE setting 3....

I've heard there can be issues with the DSP portion crapping out.. To me it's worth the risk, it's an awesome amp, imho.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's a little over 2 years and I still love my SCXD. Effects and all.
Rhust likes this.
kingedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm sure there's used XD's out there. I've been using mine as my "bedroom" amp since I bought it a couple years ago. Overall it sounds killer, though it gets a little fizzy on some of the higher gain settings when I back off the guitar volume. Still, for jamming here at home I've been very satisfied with it.
One out of every three Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness.
Think of two of your best friends.
If they are OK, then it must be you.

George Carlin

http://soundcloud.com/job-job-type-job/wake-up-chi

Job-Job type Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Job-Job

I think for the clean tones on Channel 1 as well the channel 2 voicings it's just amazing for a practice amp. I also am curious to see how it sounds for recording.

I love the XD. Best $175 I've ever spent..
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damndirtyape71 View Post
I think for the clean tones on Channel 1 as well the channel 2 voicings it's just amazing for a practice amp.
Exactly how I feel. It's been my living room amp for over a year.
kingedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

why buy used?sam ash is selling new ones for $149...
mdubya likes this.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Strato-

LOVE LOVE LOVE setting 3....

I've heard there can be issues with the DSP portion crapping out.. To me it's worth the risk, it's an awesome amp, imho.
V3 boosts volume over most of the other voices. I wonder if they tried to normalize all the voices to be closer in volume and that cut the nuts off of it?

I spend most of my time in the tweed and BF voices (V1-V6), Marshall (V8), and channel 1. And of those, I spend most of my time in V3 or V6.
stratoblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Strato - They actually do even the volumes on the X2. That's the only thing I'm not crazy about on the XD is the inconsistency in volume for the voicings. That said, it didn't make a difference.

Redcoat - Sam Ash is blowing out the 5W Vibro XD. I actually bought one last week, but upgraded to the XD at 2 channels and 15W. The XD is discontinued. My guess is the VCXD is going to be discontinued as well. I'm actually considering keeping both.
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Strato - They actually do even the volumes on the X2. That's the only thing I'm not crazy about on the XD is the inconsistency in volume for the voicings. That said, it didn't make a difference.

Redcoat - Sam Ash is blowing out the 5W Vibro XD. I actually bought one last week, but upgraded to the XD at 2 channels and 15W. The XD is discontinued. My guess is the VCXD is going to be discontinued as well. I'm actually considering keeping both.
I have (and love) the VCXD, but was interested in getting a SCXD.

Since you have both, what are your thoughts on any differences that you've found? Would it be worthwhile to have both?

For my interests, I like the tones and versatility. Most of the reason for my interest in the upgrade is for more wattage, and it has an 8 ohm output, which happens to match my Marshall 4x10 cab.
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

going from 5w to 15w, more headroom. 8inch vs 10inch speaker. Also Class A to Class AB with the two channels. Both are great, I just like the XD a bit more.
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have the SC X2, and think the ability to modify the voicings is worth the extra money. I do think fender could have done a better job at setting them up in the first place.

Going into the advanced amp settings in fuse and just changing the cab setting has a huge effect on the tone. A few of the voicings were totally useless to me until I modified them. I mostly play blues so the metal settings are somewhat useless to me, so I am going to delete them and replace with what I like.

If you are not getting what you like in a voice you can usually get it in a little bit of time. I think of it like messing with knobs on a pedal board to get what you want.

I do think the SCXD is a great value, especially at the current prices.
JeffBlue likes this.

http://soundcloud.com/ron-gibson
RonGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ron -

Can you post some video / audio of your tones? I just haven't been crushed by anything out of the X2, and hoping that some Custom tones via Fuse will make this a worthwhile purchase, as it stands, I would rather get a Mustang III than an X2 if something happend to my XD.
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

You wont be crushed by the X2 tones if I'm playing it.

Sure I'll do some. It might take a while, I don't have anything with this amp recorded right now. The stuff I like you might not. Slightly overdriven blues is my thing and this amp does that really well, IMO.

I think the X2 is capable of at least all the sounds the XD has, you just have to mess with it. When I bought mine the guy at my local music store(60 miles away, I live in Montana) showed me how to customize it. He said right off that the XD had a couple of great stock voices that the X2 didn't. But it would be no problem to get them if you want. I have been setting it up the way I want it, that's what I like about it.

By the way, voice 3 on the X2 is the 57 Deluxe, I'm still messing with that one.

Unread 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm more interested in the custom settings
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hello,

I'm thinking about the X2,

Can anyone help me :

does the X2 have a "headphone - out" possibility ?

thanks.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

I sat in with a band a few weeks ago and had to use an X2. When I asked earlier what amp I'd be running thru I was told 'an all tube Fender' IMHO you're either an all tube amp, a solid state amp, or a modeling type amp. ANY permutation of a 'hybrid' of any two all results in the same conclusion....

Even with a tube screamer I had to dial that plenty to get some balls out of the amp, and since it wasn't my amp I wasn't about to mess with the guys settings, but man I never heard a les paul sound so thin...
Jimmy Page #1 Aged
'57 Les Paul Special TV
'62 LP/SG "its like...vintage...bitch!!!!"
CC#2 Goldie
CC#7 Shanks
CC#8 Beast
2013 R9 Wheat Burst
2008 Slash VOS
Fender Eric Johnson Artist Model (Sunburst)
Ernie Ball Music Man Axis curly orange
Kramer '5150'
Fender squier 1994 white 'cheapo'
AFD100
YJM100
Marshall Class 5 Combo
Marshall JCM900 1960A and 1936cabs
Marshall Lead 12 Microstack Red 1986
WTB 94/95 Studio Lite

strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

I forgot about this thread.

walter: there's no headphone out. But you can play it at pretty low volume, it does sound best turned up.

The key to this amp is setting it up through fuse to the way you want it.

I don't know about playing with high gain and distortion, but with my style of playing the X2 works really well. It's very responsive to pick dynamics.

I have some tracks on soundcloud anyone can listen to, check the description on each tune to make sure I am using the X2. I think three of the tracks are my Peavy Transtube which is muddy.

Here are a couple of examples. Uploading to soundcloud does lower the quality, if you download the tracks you can hear them in 320kps rather than the 128kps stream. I am not trying to impress anyone with my guitar playing, because I am sure I won't. But I get regular compliments on my tone.

http://soundcloud.com/ron-gibson/slow-d-minor-jam

http://soundcloud.com/ron-gibson/c-minor-blues-jam

http://soundcloud.com/ron-gibson/ohmanblues
walter likes this.

Unread 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ron, thank you very much for your input, ik really helps hearing you play like that !
Walter.
RonGibson likes this.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Glad to help Walter!

Here's the dreaded channel three. It's a rough recording but you can tell the tone.

http://soundcloud.com/ron-gibson/channel-three-mp3

Unread 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hey Ron -

Anything a bit more dirty.

The clean tones were never an issue, it's got a great clean sounds as the XD. I'd love to hear some grit.
Unread 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

I don't have anything very dirty recorded right now. I really like the edge of the natural sounding breakup, where I pick a little more aggressive and get a little dirt. I think the X2 does that really well.

Here is a video of Colin Hoover, (great guitar player!) playing the X2 with high gain. He does have an OD pedal in front of the super sonic setting. It sounds great to me.

Unread 08-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
flapjack city

The original sounds amazing, though I don't use the more modern settings. Mostly the Blackface Twin, VOX AC30, and non-master volume Marshall. The Marshall doesn't quite have the sucker punch I want from it, but sounds goddamn good when you get the amp above 4.

Scarlet White
Drew224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

I find myself using a Suhr Riot on the XD. It sounds so amazingly good... Here's a taste with me playing some 80s sounding improv thru my Epi Custom... With some delay/chorus setting on 3.

https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...166141781&ev=0
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGibson View Post
I don't have anything very dirty recorded right now. I really like the edge of the natural sounding breakup, where I pick a little more aggressive and get a little dirt. I think the X2 does that really well.

Here is a video of Colin Hoover, (great guitar player!) playing the X2 with high gain. He does have an OD pedal in front of the super sonic setting. It sounds great to me.

Cole Hoover - Hyperventilate - YouTube
I own a SCXD and was just looking at some older threads on the different Champs and had to bump this just for this bad azz on guitar. It's not even my type of music and WOW this guy is amazing. I'm not worthy says Garth. This just in ....this guys good!
NRBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JeffBlue

I own the X2. I went and modified my settings on channel 2, but I still prefer running my OD pedals while using that clean blackface tone on channel 1. The SCX2 works beautifully with pedals. I bought the head and run a 12 inch speaker, and changed the 6V6s for NOS 5881s. Also changed the 12AX7 for a NOS RCA.
JeffBlue is offline   Reply With Quote