MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > The Squawk Box
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #61 (permalink)

Re: Finally a pic of the new ORANGE OR15H!!!!!

I don't know, I did a google search after reading this and went 6 or 7 pages back, reading from across the internet on Phaez amps.

The oldest reviews from like 2008 say that the amps sound good but had a dangerous rats nest of wiring. I don't remember where, but there was one thread on one forum pretty much bashing the wiring (everyone was).

I seemed to see alot of that from the earlier times, and as time goes on, it seems that complaint went away.

As far as sound goes, most people loved them. There was one guy who said it didn't hold a candle to his swart, but many others who said that their ___ phaez was one of the best amps they have ever owned. There was one guy who said that his amp (I think it was a 14 watt daisycutter) was as loud as his 100 watt landry and had equally amazing overdrive and that it was surprising for the price.

Then newer reviews from 2010-2011 reveal pretty much no complaints- the only one was "the amp sounding amazing but my friend opened it up and saw that it had extremely cheap parts." There was an older review that I came across online that said that their amp had a half ued circuit board and dinged up transformer (or something like those), and it was kind of dissapointing, but the amp still sounded good.

In the end, im not so sure what to think about them, as most of the reviews from now (now that Randy has had years to improve his amps) say that the amps sound great, which is what matters.

I guess I still have a phaez on the "maybe buy" list, but it is alot easier for me to buy a marshall or mesa or something along those lines since I can return it if something goes wrong and there are more reviews out there on them. Im waiting until NAMM to decide (im thinking mini recto, but theres so many other good amps, like this orange! )
Luckynumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #62 (permalink)

C'mon now I don't want my OR15H thread turned into another Phaez debate. THIS THREAD IS FOR ORANGE OR15H DISCUSSION ONLY!!!!!!!!! Phaez fans (and haters) go find one of the hundred Phaez threads out there!!!
TheWelder likes this.
www.reverbnation.com/hawkinshill
jimmyohio75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #63 (permalink)

Orange OR15H Guitar Valve Amplifier Head | DV247

459 apparently. Hopefully there'll be a video of the OR15 sometime soon, can't wait to hear what this things got. I like the OR50.

That and a second hand PPC112 in the summer if I can just about afford it!

'11 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute [HB]
BOSS ME50

"Listen with your ears, not your eyes..."
SelLuap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

Yeah, there should be a demo or two hitting You Tube this weekend from the NAMM show. Can't wait! I think this thing is gonna be SWEEEEET!!
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #65 (permalink)

I dont care where the heck its made... If it sounds good and it has the same amazing orange warranty and orange customer service then get it
jimmyohio75 and iamjoe like this.
thexmadxtopxhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #66 (permalink)

I just watched the youtube clip of the OR50 - that thing sounded INCREDIBLE - I loved the way it sounded when he played the Strat style guitar through it. $1700 is a serious chunk of change, but that thing just screams quality.
TheWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWelder View Post
I just watched the youtube clip of the OR50 - that thing sounded INCREDIBLE - I loved the way it sounded when he played the Strat style guitar through it. $1700 is a serious chunk of change, but that thing just screams quality.
Yep, I'm hoping that the OR15H has the same vibe and flavor at 15 watts and half the price!
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyohio75 View Post
Yep, I'm hoping that the OR15H has the same vibe and flavor at 15 watts and half the price!
Orange stuff has always impressed me in terms of sound quality - I'm sure the OR15H will be no exception. I'm very intrigued to see/hear the official Orange demo.
TheWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelLuap View Post

459 apparently. Hopefully there'll be a video of the OR15 sometime soon, can't wait to hear what this things got. I like the OR50.

That is $715 Canadian and $704 US at today's exchange rates.

In memory of Corporal Nathan Cirillo and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, R.I.P.

colchar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk7 View Post
Honestly, I don't think that is a fair assumption for over-seas made Orange products. The Tiny Terror, Dual Terror, Dark Terror and PPC1x12 cab are all Made in China and IMHO, they are still high quality, high-fidelity products. Understandably, some people's political stand-points may deter them from buying MIC products from any company, but I really feel like Orange's Chinese stuff is great. Not all Chinese factories are made the same!
This is true. There is a lot of good product coming out of China, across a wide range of types. In one of my previous jobs I did a lot of large-scale, high tech procurement and the Chinese even ten years ago were running circles around most of their American and European competitors. In many cases those same European and American competitors would disparage the Chinese stuff as primitive or brute-force dependent. As a person in the position of evaluating the tenders, I can say unequivocally that this was not the case. The Chinese were doing it smarter in most instances, including all the high-expertise, high-value-added areas.

This is not a paen to the PRC, but just a reflection of what I repeatedly observed. And on reflection, I realised I should not have been surprised. Deng Xiaoping put the PRC on its current path to economic, educational and technolgical modernisation about 30 years ago. They've got a lot of people. If only the normal percentage of them are very, very smart, then that makes a freaking sh1t load of brilliant people. Those smart people are working stuff out. Some of the stuff they're working out includes small pebble bed reactors, and other high-tech stuff. Some of it is just plain old cheap manufacture. Just like the Nipponese did after WWII. etc etc etc.
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #71 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
Speaking purely about the Tiny Terror I owned and did modifications to the board on, that thing was a poorly assembled mix of cheap parts. Understandable for the price point, for sure. Just not something I would ever call "quality".

It was tough to solder on. The eyelets and traces would lift with a really small amount of heat. Just terrible.
You are correct, it's a piece of sh1t from a technical point of view. But it does sound good!

However, I have to say that the US made Fender Bassman LTD I have is also a piece of sh1t on the same grounds. Poorly assembled, cheap components, vapour thin traces on the PCBs, no in-hole tinning on the PCB, etc. The only area of quality where the Bassman is better than the TT is that the jacks and valve bases are mounted on the chassis instead of the PCB. That's a biggie for me.

In all other respects they're comparable. So the Chinese don't have the monopoly on crap.
JMV likes this.
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
This is why I CANNOT STAND TO TALK ABOUT AMPS ON MLP. I would have a lot more respect for Phaez owners if they actually got together and had a real-life circle jerk instead of doing it in completely unrelated threads on MLP. From the looks of things, a lot more time is spent boasting about them on forums than playing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I agree. For what so many claim are the greatest things ever made, they sure show up in our classified section a lot. Kind of makes you wonder why they are being sold on if they are so great. While I am sure they are very good amps, there are plenty of other amps out there that are just as good and whose owners do not feel the need to proselytize the way Phaez owners do. And, while they are the hyped product here at MLP, this doesn't hold true on other guitar forums. If you go to another huge guitar site - TDPRI - and do a search you will find a total of 24 posts (posts, not threads) about Phaez amps, and not all of them are complimentary.
Quote:
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner folks. Phaez seems to be the choice of amp for people primarily interested in buying things as cheaply as possible and self gratification. I hate that this thread has no too fallen victim to the PLAGUE that is Phaezer's on MLP, but seriously. If anybody spends any amount of time researching this, they can find what we have found (aka: A bunch of hoopla-hype on MLP).

I really wouldn't be bothered by this, but I seriously am thinking he is paying people to spam this forum at this point. It makes no sense why something is so popular here and virtually unheard of in every big guitar forum.
No need to get your underwear in bunch fellas. I apologize for applauding JMV's comment. Brett, no hype here, I have sold everything, including my Maz. Sorry that you feel so negatively about Phaez owners
iamjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #73 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
...I really wouldn't be bothered by this, but I seriously am thinking he is paying people to spam this forum at this point. It makes no sense why something is so popular here and virtually unheard of in every big guitar forum.
I don't think there's any need to invoke conspiracy theories about this. I have observed similar behaviour in relation to other products on MLP before. Things just seem to reach a 'critical mass' where they go viral in here. Critical mass is probably a poor analogy. It seems to be a function of frequency of mention, moderated by the amount of time some members are in the forum. Once these critical parameters are hit, a product seems to go viral in here.

It's not something unique to MLP. I've seen it in other forums where particular products are the local flavour. Some of those local flavours are persona non grata here. Go figure. Maybe it's a tribal thing?

I for one have nothing whatsoever to say - positive or negative - about Phaez amps. I'm just commenting on the phenomenon you've observed. These places are echo chambers.
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #74 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

But back on topic, I have a question for you fellas of the Orange persuasion. What is so special about this OR? I'm not a scholar of Orange, and my experience with them has mainly been through my Tiny Terror (which I think sounds rather good). I understand that Orange make good sounding amps, but what's the source of the excitement about these ORs? Can somebody explain?
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Miata!? I would bet you could squeeze a PPC1x12 and the OR50 or the OR15. I have a hard time moving gear in my WRX sometimes, I feel for you!
Yeah, it's not easy to carry anything, but worth it some times.

I may be going up to Chicago to fly out to Vienna for a year and may try to pick up one of these from ya' on the way up. I believe most Oranges work on Europe's 220V (any input here would be amazing!!!!), and I don't want to be stuck completely amp-less i Europe for a year. I'll figure out some way to get it there doubt I can get such a good price in Europe.
BoxyBrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattle101 View Post
But back on topic, I have a question for you fellas of the Orange persuasion. What is so special about this OR? I'm not a scholar of Orange, and my experience with them has mainly been through my Tiny Terror (which I think sounds rather good). I understand that Orange make good sounding amps, but what's the source of the excitement about these ORs? Can somebody explain?
The OR circuit was originally released in 1972 in an Orange amp simply known as the "Pic Only" amp because it used only symbols to represent volume, gain, treble ,bass ,volume etc. To celebrate its 40th Anniversary in 2008 Orange released a limited number of this amp and dubbed it the OR50. This amp is more vintage voiced but still has plenty of gain. I would describe it as a more refined, harmonically rich tone than the Terror series. I played an OR50 about 2 years ago and it remains one of the best amps I have ever played. I never bought one because I didn't want to drop $2,000 on an amp. This is my chance to get that OR50 vintage sound in a smaller, cheaper 15 watt amp. Yes, it is made in China but that doesn't bother me at all. I have owned two Tiny Terrors and a Dual terror and none of them have given me any trouble at all. I am gambling that this OR15H will be awesome...I have pre ordered it and now I'm losing sleep waiting for it!!!
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominho View Post
I just hope some of the stores near me get it on the floor. I'd want to try the new line out first. 750 is a good price point though. HB music rocks. I got my TH30 from there. Price was killer compared to the major sites. Should have tried to price match with zzounds. They just gave me a killer deal on a PPC412. Almost 250 off MF / sweet water pricing after their price match.
I got $360 off my Orange PPC412 from zZounds last year. I definitely see either an OR15 or OR50 in my future. Orange amps rock!
Citrus Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #78 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
The OR circuit was originally released in 1972 in an Orange amp simply known as the "Pic Only" amp because it used only symbols to represent volume, gain, treble ,bass ,volume etc. To celebrate its 40th Anniversary in 2008 Orange released a limited number of this amp and dubbed it the OR50. This amp is more vintage voiced but still has plenty of gain. I would describe it as a more refined, harmonically rich tone than the Terror series. I played an OR50 about 2 years ago and it remains one of the best amps I have ever played. I never bought one because I didn't want to drop $2,000 on an amp. This is my chance to get that OR50 vintage sound in a smaller, cheaper 15 watt amp. Yes, it is made in China but that doesn't bother me at all. I have owned two Tiny Terrors and a Dual terror and none of them have given me any trouble at all. I am gambling that this OR15H will be awesome...I have pre ordered it and now I'm losing sleep waiting for it!!!
OK, I've done a little research on the Orange amps now. The story on the old ones seems to be that the old 'pics only' or 'graphic' Orange amps were around from the late 60s to about 1972. After that they introduced the labels. These amps weren't master vol amps. They didn't introduce an MV until the OD series (overdrive). Interestingly, the OD series didn't introduce any new gain stages. It was still just the two ECC83s doing everything.

The schematics I've seen look really interesting. I'm trying to get my head around that DC coupled cathodyne PI. Apparently it sounded rather better than the 'rewired' PI they used after 1974. I wonder if this latter was an LTP? I wonder wonder...
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #79 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

The original ORs had two inputs (high and low), a volume, bass, treble, presence, echo, and 'FAC'. The FAC control stood for Frequency Analysis Control, and it was a midrange control of sorts. Instead of a pot, it had a six position rotary with six different caps on it. Different voicings, I suppose. The echo control looks like a level control for the FX loop. Yes, it had a loop, with the send and return jacks on the front panel. Very cool.

The preamp had two ECC83 twin triodes, giving a total of four triodes to play with. The first three are conventional gain stages, and the fourth is that cathodyne PI. I admit, I'm surprised to find it in there. Pleasantly surprised, though. The power amp was fixed bias and seems to have come in 2 x EL34 and 4 x EL34 versions for 80 and 120 Watts respectively.

It looks really interesting. Quite different from the Fenders and their Marshall derivatives. I think I'd like to make one running a pair of 6V6s in adjustable fixed bias. Or a pair of KT66s!
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #80 (permalink)

Orange OR15H 15w Head | Andertons

438 for the OR15 and 968 for the OR50!

BOSS ME50

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #81 (permalink)

Patiently waiting for an official demo from Orange for the OR15H. It is NAMM ya know.....
Luckynumber3 likes this.
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Patiently waiting for an official demo from Orange for the OR15H. It is NAMM ya know.....
Its okay, Gibson hasn't unveiled crap either.

The only thing so far that ive seen of the marshalls (besides the demo on their website) was a "The Tone King" video that just showed what they looked like, and that's pretty much the same for Orange- I saw the Jim Root head and micro terror in one of those vids, but nobody playing them or even talking about them.

There are multiple days of NAMM though, so I am guessing marshall is holding off on releasing its satriani jvm, and orange is holding off on really demoing their new amps...
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckynumber3 View Post
Its okay, Gibson hasn't unveiled crap either.

The only thing so far that ive seen of the marshalls (besides the demo on their website) was a "The Tone King" video that just showed what they looked like, and that's pretty much the same for Orange- I saw the Jim Root head and micro terror in one of those vids, but nobody playing them or even talking about them.

There are multiple days of NAMM though, so I am guessing marshall is holding off on releasing its satriani jvm, and orange is holding off on really demoing their new amps...
Yeah, apparently Jim Root will be live in the Orange booth on Saturday. It would make sense that there will be a few demos of the Jim Root Terror on Saturday too. Unfortunately I am interested in the OR15H, not the JR Terror. I will be real pissed if NAMM comes and goes and we don't get a single demo of this amp
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, apparently Jim Root will be live in the Orange booth on Saturday. It would make sense that there will be a few demos of the Jim Root Terror on Saturday too. Unfortunately I am interested in the OR15H, not the JR Terror. I will be real pissed if NAMM comes and goes and we don't get a single demo of this amp
Yeah I definately want to see it and other reviews- I think I will end up going for a mesa dual rectifier, but these oranges do seem quite nice...
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #85 (permalink)

Wasn't today the first day of NAMM? There will probably be a lot of videos uploaded tonight. The video the Tone King did was done before they had even finished setting up their booth.
Citrus Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Monolith View Post
Wasn't today the first day of NAMM? There will probably be a lot of videos uploaded tonight. The video the Tone King did was done before they had even finished setting up their booth.
Yeah, I guess I'm referring to the fact that Orange released the video demo of the OR50 three days ago. They should have done the Or15H video at the same time. Yes, I'm impatient
Unread 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #87 (permalink)

No sound clips of them but you can see them - loving the look of that OR15!

BOSS ME50

Unread 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #88 (permalink)

No sound clips of them but you can see them - loving the look of that OR15!

BOSS ME50

Unread 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #89 (permalink)

Here is a video demo of a few of the new Orange amps....The Jim Root Terror, Micro Terror and OR15H...I gotta be honest I think the Jim Root Terror sounds beefier and punchier than the OR15H...might need to reevaluate my pre order...... The OR15H sounds a little fizzy!

Luckynumber3 likes this.
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #90 (permalink)

Hmmm yeah I definitely know what you mean... still not a fan of that micro terror though lol

BOSS ME50