MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > The Squawk Box
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fender Mustang III

I just picked up the Fender Mustang III today. It is a 100w Modeling amp, with tons of settings. It contains 100 amp presets from 12 different amp models that deliver tones from vintage Fender to modern metal, and 37 different effects in four categories. All of this comes out of a 12" Celestion speaker and after playing it for a little while at Firehouse Music, and comparing it to a few other smaller amps, I had to have it. It sounds great and I was able to dial in some sweet amp sounds that I can't wait to get it home.

I traded in my Bugera V22, which was a beautiful sounding Tube amp, but it just did not have enough versataility for me. Which is to bad, because it was a nice tube amp and sounded great, but it was just not for me. I lost about $125 on that amp after having it for a year, but I did not use it enough and it was heavy as hell to cart around. I actually went in to try out the Orange Crush 35LDX, but it sounded like the music was coming out of a small radio box. They did not have the VOX VT40, so I looked at the Mustang II and Mustang III. The 12" Celestion speaker in the Mustang III with 100w was a big winner compared to the Mustang II's 10" speaker with 40w. There was a huge difference in sound comparing the Mustang II & III, but the Mustang II at $199 did win hands down against the Orange 35LDX at $239.

It is amazing how when you MIC the Orange Crush 35LDX, like people have on youtube, it sounds better than what it really is. I was severly dissapointed in the Orange SS combo amp, from what some people said about it and what I heard, but I did come away a winner with the Mustang III. I think this is the amp I have been looking for, and the added bonus that is comes with software and a USB cable to hook it up to my computer and setup/download some more great sounds.

I will have to put some sample sound clips out here when I get a chance.
nicolasrivera, mdubya and Blackegg like this.
2014 EVH Striped Series Red, Black & White
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo w/Eminence Governor
Blackheart 1x12 Cabinet w/Eminence Wizard
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
rjwilson37 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjwilson37 For This Useful Post:
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fender Mustang III

Looking forward to the sound clips, glad you enjoy it!
GuitarToneFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats!!!!Sounds like fun!
Standard 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome. Glad you like it! I bought a Mustang II right when those came out and Fender did a fantastic job with the Mustang series in terms of sound quality for a modeling amp.

But ummm...one thing: the Mustang II has a 12" speaker, too. They just went with a Celestion for the III.
danzego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, I have been playing with it for about 2 hours now, and it is way cool. Wow there is a lot you can do with it, and it really does sound great.

After playing with the settings blindly for a bit, I started to figure it out and dial in some of my own settings. I also went through the existing 100 presets and some were pretty cool as well as some being pretty close to what I want for settings. I need to read some more and find out if I can save some user settings, or whether I just have to save over existing ones and I only get 100. It would be nice if settings like 101-200 were for me, that would be sweet. I will have to let you know.

I am downloading the newest version of the Fender Fuse software, so I can hook my amp up to my computer through the USB and see what I can do.

One of the presets is called What The %$#& which is pretty weird, but cool none the less, I will make sure I put a sound clip of it.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Those amps are a blast! Post pics too when you have a chance!
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzego View Post
Awesome. Glad you like it! I bought a Mustang II right when those came out and Fender did a fantastic job with the Mustang series in terms of sound quality for a modeling amp.

But ummm...one thing: the Mustang II has a 12" speaker, too. They just went with a Celestion for the III.
They do sound great!

Yep, I actually just saw that today (the Mustang II has a 12" Fender speaker) before looking at your post, when I was showing a guy at work that he should get the Mustang II to replace his old used 40w Ibanez amp which is from like.. I think the 80's which would make it almost 30 years old. A 30 year old SS Ibanez amp does not sound really good, but it is at least something to jam on.

Anyway, I did do a comparison back and forth between the II and III and decided that the III with the Celestion speaker and 60 extra watts did sound better enough to warrant me spending the extra $100 rather than an even trade. Plus, the III stores 100 presets and had 2 extra modeling amps, one being the Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounds great. I would probably suggest to most, that you should go with the II over the I just beacause the 12" speaker compared to the 8" speaker will make a world of difference.

I wanted to take the day off today just to play with the amp all day, but I will play some more tonight. I did install the Fuse software and registered online, to get some of the extra goodies. Are you online with Fuse and do you have any cool presets I can try? I am rjwilson37 on the fuse community forums as well.

Now that I know how to tweak the mods, delays and such.. I am going to try and get a good Blizzard of Ozz, Ted Nuget and a EVH Ain't Talking About Love preset, then I will do a sound Clip and post it.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500

Last edited by rjwilson37; 02-09-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the Sales guys are sneaky though, because I think he said that it had a 10" speaker and the II was definately not as deep (size) compared to the III. ( The III is definately a bit bigger.) I had him set them up supposedly the same and was going back and forth. They probably don't set them up exactly and put the sound better on the one they want you to purchase, since you don't know exactly how to setup the tones just yet on an amp.

I was playing with an Epi LP Custom at the store, since they didn't have anything with P90's. This amp does have a NG option built in though, to help with any humm from single coil pups when you go hard & dirty.

I will post some pics tonight.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

The only way to tame the P90 noise is to play, play, and keep playing and then, when you're done, just shut the volume off and unplug... lol

Probably the noisiest pups out there, but they scream, gotta love a good set of P90s!
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too went with the Mustang 2 40 watter. I was even contemplating the Mustang 1 (since I live in a relatively small condo and need a home practice amp) however the difference between the Mustang 1's 8 inch speaker and the Mustang 2's 12 inch speaker I found to be significant regarding overall frequency handling. Even the Mustang 2 is way too loud for me to turn beyond 3. Fender uses realistic wattage ratings. I am pleased with the amp although the Mustangs 3-5 provides more amp models (100 as opposed to 24 on the Mustang 1 & 2) and more FX. For my purposes (not worrying about cutting through a drummer) anything beyond the Mustang 2 would be superfluous. (considering with Fender Fuse software I can tweak in any amps I desire within the 24 amp settings).

Enjoy the 3. If I didn't already have amps that are way too loud for my current purposes, I too, would have waited for the release of the 3 and 4. I like the 1/2 stack concept of the Mustang 5 for gigging. The Mustang 4 at 150 watts with 2x12 cab seems to be a Monster of an amp (or is that 2x75 stereo) ? I guess if I was gigging I'd want something bigger than the Mustang 2. This is just a living room amp.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

TeleDog, the noise gate that is built into the Mustang amp does wonders for my P90's, it works great at quieting them down.

I went to GC during lunch today and saw that the II is a closed back, where the III is an open back. So, between the celestion speaker, 100w and the open back, that is probably what contributed to the III sounding better enough for me to spend the extra $100, because it did make a difference to me.

I played with it for another 2 or 3 hours tonight, there is a lot you can do with it. I didn't connect through the fuse software tonight, I was just playing with different settings and different amps and modifying some presets here and there. I even setup 1 clean and 2 dirty of my own. I will get some time this weekend to lay down a few sound clips and put them out here.

Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Steven!

I am just an amature player right now, trying to get better. When I traded in the Bugera v22 and the guy at the store played through it to test it. If I could play that good, I would have never gotten rid of it, since it truly was a beautiful sounding amp. I hope that one day I will be able to play like that. I am just a rock and roll hack compared to these guys that work at the stores.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 View Post
Thanks Steven!

I am just an amature player right now, trying to get better. When I traded in the Bugera v22 and the guy at the store played through it to test it. If I could play that good, I would have never gotten rid of it, since it truly was a beautiful sounding amp. I hope that one day I will be able to play like that. I am just a rock and roll hack compared to these guys that work at the stores.
I've found that watching many of the guitarists on YouTube has humbled me, or reduced me to feeling like "A rock and roll hack" too. There's so many talented guitarists out there it's amazing. Problem is, at age 55 I find myself practicing and practicing but learning new things comes VERY slowly for me.
DRB likes this.
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

It is coming kind of slow too. I am spending time going up and down the fret board trying to get quicker before I take some more lessons. I am going to take some Blues/Country lessons for a while, and broaden my horizons to learn to play more than just rock. I also want to re-learn to read music and not just tabs.

I did dial in a Van Halen Ain't Talking About Love preset tonight in the Mustang III. It is not exact by all means, but I did at least get something with the Overdrive, Phaser, Delay, and Large Hall Reverb using the British 80's amp. I will definately lay down some tracks this weekend and put a soundclip out here.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here is a clean sound clip. I did not have a chance to do a great take, as my wife is sick and trying to get some sleep, so I just have a quick clean clip here right now. This is my 56 Goldtop through the Mustang III with the 65 Twin Reverb for amp selection, a little comp and some slight small hall reverb.

http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/...stangclean.mp3
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sounds better than my actual "Twin" reverb. It handles lower volumes nicely. I think Fender hit a home run with our Mustang amps. Some of the metal gain settings are too dirty for me. Using Fuse I tamed down the distorted settings. This is my first experience with Solid State and I can't tell a difference at room volumes, in fact the solid state sounds better to me. (to be honest) Maybe I'm losing it
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yea, the 65 Twin Reverb on the Mustang is a really nice sounding amp selection, especially for cleans. ( I had the master volume at 2 for this stuff)

I like the British 80's amp selection for the dirty stuff like AC/DC, Ozzy, and Van Halen.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok, I put down a little bit of a sound clip. Why is it that you can play pretty good, except when you try to record something. Anyway, I am not a great player by all means, just an amature trying to get better.

Here is a clip of a couple different preset's I put on the amp. The first is a 65 twin reverb pretty clean, then a Champ with volume all the way and then gain on 1, then a marshal british 80's and then super sonic for van halen and ozzy. Now these all have completly different sounds here downstairs, but on the recording, they sound a little similar. I guess I need better recording equipment than just a cheap computer microphone. I still have some tweaking to do on some of them, because you can hear the recording that they need to be tweaked. I think I got the AC/DC one down though.

http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/...stangdirty.mp3
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

super helpful post, thanks rjwilson!

Especially appreciate the sound clips. Were those recorded direct (USB) or with a mic?
Davey Rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I've found that watching many of the guitarists on YouTube has humbled me, or reduced me to feeling like "A rock and roll hack" too. There's so many talented guitarists out there it's amazing. Problem is, at age 55 I find myself practicing and practicing but learning new things comes VERY slowly for me.
I'm right there with you on this.
Yammerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Rockets View Post
super helpful post, thanks rjwilson!

Especially appreciate the sound clips. Were those recorded direct (USB) or with a mic?
Sure thing Davey Rockets:

I recorded with a cheap computer microphone, I was thinking on getting a condenser mic, but I may go directly via USB with the other recording software that came with the Mustang III. It comes with Ableton Lite Live 8 Fender Edtion and Amplitude Fender Edition, which has USB drivers so I can record directly. I will post some more sound clips with some of the adjusted presets I have been playing with the last few days.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

I redid the presets for the Van Halen and Ozzy, to give them a little bit deeper fuller sound. Here are the two presets, tell me what you think.

http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/...tangdirty2.mp3
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

A question I have is that some state the 40 watt mustang 1x12 isn't really capable of clearing a drummer. Wouldn't 100 watts 1x12 just be very slightly louder ? Perhaps about 3 or 4 DB's ? Would the Mustang 3 enable a player to clear a drummer or would he need an additional larger cabinet for more head room ? This stuff confuses me because there (according to my understanding) wouldn't be a significant difference in discernible volume between 40 and 100 watts. Is the limiting factor the 1x12 ?

IOW-wouldn't a 2x12 Twin Reverb rated at 85 watts be considerably louder than a 1x12 Mustang rated at 100 watts ? This stuff confuses the hell outta me. Can you really get 100 watts of SPL through only 1x12 inch speaker ?
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

I played the Mustang II and III side by side and I am not so much sure that it was the extra wattage that did it for me as much as the Mustang III having the open back with the Celestion speaker. The Mustang III just had a much fuller sound you could hear througout the room at GC. I put this thing on 5 and it is just super loud and clean, which I am pretty sure it will clear the drummer.

The Mustang II was loud and sounded good, but still a little boxy with the closed back. The Mustang III just right off the bat sounded fuller and better with the Celestion and open back and the 100w, so the extra $100 was a no brainer for me. I did not care about spending the extra money hearing them side by side with approximately the same settings.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
IOW-wouldn't a 2x12 Twin Reverb rated at 85 watts be considerably louder than a 1x12 Mustang rated at 100 watts ? This stuff confuses the hell outta me. Can you really get 100 watts of SPL through only 1x12 inch speaker ?
I have a hard time comparing tube to solid state, because a lot of 15w tube amps can clear the drummer, so it is hard to compare them. There are some 15w tubes that are not gigable unless mic'd, so I know that I would want a tube 30w or more for a gig probably. I know someone who has a Blackstar HT5 combo and just clears the drummer at practice, where if he had the HT-5H stack with 2 1x10's, the extra 1x10 might make it fuller and clear the drummer better. So does an extra speaker help, I am sure it does, but then is the HT-5 stack with 2 1x10's gigable without being mic'd, it may depend on how big the gig is.

I do know that the Mustang III would clear the drummer, it is loud and full. Not as full as most tube amps 15w and higher, but close, especially for a solid state amp at $300. My Bugera v22 on full volume was not as loud as this Mustang III and the Bugera v22 broke up more at higher volumes, so the clean was not as clean as the Mustang III.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500

Last edited by rjwilson37; 02-21-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

I do know that at lower volumes on the clean channel, the Bugera v22 did sound fuller and had that smooth harmonic vibrance to it that tubes have over a solid state. But at the higher volumes, the Bugera v22 lost it and broke up to much to be appreciated. The Bugera v22 is definately for home or small gigs at lower volumes from my perspective. When I was playing it hard and loud, I just did not like the sound I was getting from it, so I went with the Mustang III which does hold it's own.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

I was under the impression that tube amp wattage is louder to the ear than tranny wattage too. However I've seen engineers on this forum state that 40 watts is 40 watts transister or tube. Same wattage ? Hence my confusion. I was always of the impression tube amps sounded louder, but according to discussions on wattage I've seen in other threads it appears if 40 watts can clear a drummer tube, so can 40 watts transistor. 40 true watts is 40 true watts (so I've seen). Of course I've also heard tube wattage is considerably louder to the ear too so I haven't a clue what the correct response to the tube vs tranny wattage comparison is.
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

I was going to get an even trade for the Mustang II, no money out of pocket. But the closed back on the Mustang II just gave it more of a closed sound and it did fill the room liks the open back on the Mustang III. It was probably not so much the celestion speaker as having the open back because I did not put the volume up past 3 at the store and they were both loud. I wasn't suppose to spend any money out of pocket, plus I thought I was going to get a little more for the Bugera. I did not care spending the $100, I just had too hearing the difference.

Now... saying that. If they didn't have a Mustang III there for me to compare with the Mustang II, would I have said the Mustang II was perfect and enjoyed it just as much. I probably would have been satisfied, especially hearing it next to the Orange CR35LDX, which had great reviews from some and it was bad. I mean it was night and day compared to the Mustang II which the Mustang II comes out way ahead of the Orange CR35LDX and sounding much much better for $40 bucks less. The Orange CR35LDX sounded like the guitar was coming out of a small radio box, it was terrible I think.

It is like when a TV is on sale for a great price and they surround it with better TV's. You go to pick up your great deal then go... uggg. That looks terrible compared to the TV's around it and they have you hooked and you buy a TV for hundreds more than what you went there to buy. Probably if that Mustang III was compared to another amp $100 more I would have went hmmm. wait a sec and so on... and so on... it goes.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

I do know though... that the Mustang III sounds better and fuller at higher volumes than my Bugera v22 did. I am not so sure the Mustang II would have sounded better at higher volumes than my Bugera v22, with the Fender Special speaker and only 40w to push the speaker which I am not sure the wattage rating on that speaker.

Food for thought. What is the sound you really want and how much is it worth in your soul to get it. I am very happy I spent the extra $100 which means this amp really cost me $449 since I lost $150 on the Bugera after having it for 10 months.
Amps
Vox Night Train 15H
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Digitech RP500
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #30 (permalink)

Yeah, I sortuh wish I waited for a Mustang 3. I think the 100 presets alone would contain enough tones, so I'd likely not have to tweak anything of my own. I like the on-screen display that the 3-5's have too. Does the 3 sound as nice on very low volumes ? or do you need to push it a bit ?

I haven't had a chance to get the Mustang two's volume (and master volume) beyond 4, so I haven't a clue how it does in the louder range. The 3-5 came out during a period (within the exchange grace period of my purchase) however I just saw 100 watts as being much too much and feared I wouldn't get a decent sound with the volume set at 1 and 2. I would have liked 4X the preset options however. I'm currently pretty much restricted to bedroom volumes.