MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > The Squawk Box
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
  
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marshall vs. Blackstar

so I would like to complete my les paul with a bad ass amp, and I'm torn between Marshall and Blackstar. The Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and the Blackstar Series One 100 or Series One 200 to be exact.
from my understanding Blackstar was created largely by ex-Marshall employees and people have summed it up to me as saying Blackstar is Marshall but with better effects. so if anybody has a suggestion on which would be better in their opinion it'd be much appreciated! obviously the Series One 200 would be VERY loud compared to the Vintage Modern..I simply can't decide which is better all around.

and if you have any other suggestions from either of these two companies or simply want to compare other amps from the two..go right ahead ha

laterr!

check out my band!
BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
www.facebook.com/pages/BitchGypsy/182579709713
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MyLesPaul.com
   
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
flapjack city
 
Drew224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 15,175
Thanks: 803
Thanked 177 Times in 61 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Well. Blackstar has more features. They tend to incorporate presence and resonance controls, and they have the tone shape knob. Blackstar makes a much more versatile amp. However, the Vintage Modern is just a damn fine amp. Very fat sound. Try playing both with your guitars and see how you like them.
__________________

Scarlet White
Drew224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
GPDUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 83
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

The Vintage Modern is an amazing amp, especially if you love the Plexi sound. I am very privy to that sound and the Vintage Modern nails it. But if you want your amp to be more versatile and cover a wider range of tones, then I'd go with the Series One. Both amazing amps, it's just do you want verasatility or are you locked in to the Plexi-sound. Can't go wrong either way.
__________________
GPDUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

yea you guys obviously see how my decision is difficult to make! ha the tones on BOTH amps are spectacular, complete eargasms..the prices are kinda similar..both carry an element of "bad ass" to them! the prestige of owning a Marshall or the rebellion of owning an up and coming line of amps..decisions, decisions!

BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

would you reckon the marshall will retain its value as the years go by better than the blackstar??? that could be a interesting factor to consider
hellraiser_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

indeed..considering they introduce better amps regularly (or improve/modify), resale does play a role in my decision. thanks for making my choice even tougher dude haha
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyler View Post
indeed..considering they introduce better amps regularly (or improve/modify), resale does play a role in my decision. thanks for making my choice even tougher dude haha
haha, no problems mate
hellraiser_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
H.E.L.Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mifflintown, PA
Posts: 6,378
Thanks: 12
Thanked 245 Times in 78 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

I got cought up in the old "which amp head" years ago and ended up with a modded ADA MP-1, a GSP 1101, and a MESA 2:90 power amp.. i've never looked back!!!


However,,,, If i WERE to buy a head, I'd seriously consider the Blackstar... Its more "Tone versitile"
__________________
___________________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"I've been hit with a metal chair so many times that the top of my head smell like ass!"
H.E.L.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

or the good old saying "why have one when you can have two"
hellraiser_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Vintage Modern, in my opinion. Just seems that the Blackstar does "some" things "pretty well", and not much nailed. The Vintage Modern is lights out awesome for vintage tones and like it says, more modern hard rock. Not metal, but like anything else, throw a boost or OD of choice in the front, tweak to taste and there it is. Like anything else, try em' both. Now if you're talking the Blackstar Artisan series.........WOW thats a different story!
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlespauls View Post
Vintage Modern, in my opinion. Just seems that the Blackstar does "some" things "pretty well", and not much nailed. The Vintage Modern is lights out awesome for vintage tones and like it says, more modern hard rock. Not metal, but like anything else, throw a boost or OD of choice in the front, tweak to taste and there it is. Like anything else, try em' both. Now if you're talking the Blackstar Artisan series.........WOW thats a different story!
Artisan is better?? enlighten me por favor!


BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Oh hell yeah. The Artisan line from Blackstar is all hand-wired on a turret-board with better construction and components. The sound might not be your deal, but like any of the others you have to try em'. The quality is staggeringly better than the others mentioned though, and the simplicity and pure tone alone might be impressive enough for you to go that route. Like the others, add a boost or an OD pedal to taste and you can do anything. PRICEY as hell though, beware lol! Check em' out!
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chrisuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 2,585
Thanks: 38
Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_666 View Post
would you reckon the marshall will retain its value as the years go by better than the blackstar??? that could be a interesting factor to consider
Probably not - they are both mass produced, circuit board based amps put together in the far east. I have seen as many blackstar amps on stage recently as marshalls - mainly the handwired artisan 30. Sterophonics, supergrass, etc...
chrisuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
Probably not - they are both mass produced, circuit board based amps put together in the far east. I have seen as many blackstar amps on stage recently as marshalls - mainly the handwired artisan 30. Sterophonics, supergrass, etc...
The Vintage Modern is actually made in the UK. While I agree the Artisan is a nicer amp, it is made in Korea.
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chrisuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 2,585
Thanks: 38
Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Didn't realise that about the Marshall - I knew all of the Blackstars are built in Korea. I agree the Artisan is a different beast though.
chrisuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
Didn't realise that about the Marshall - I knew all of the Blackstars are built in Korea. I agree the Artisan is a different beast though.
Yeah any of the other newer Marshall with exception of the Class 5 are not made in the UK. MA, JMD, Haze, etc.
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

jtyler, whats your style of music, looking at your price range, gosh you can go for an original jcm 800 or a lot of other goodies out there
hellraiser_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_666 View Post
jtyler, whats your style of music, looking at your price range, gosh you can go for an original jcm 800 or a lot of other goodies out there
well honestly my style is dirty sex rock ha but that doesnt limit the genres my band and i play. thats why im reaaaaaally tryn to get my facts straight before i make a purchase.
im playing through a Gibson Les Paul Classic, ive changed the pickups to a DiMarzio Liquifire for the neck and a Seymore Duncan Alnico II for the bridge..i do believe i jizz everytime i play it..so the sound that guitar puts out is super agressive in treble position and unbelievably..well idk what the word im looking to describe this is..warm?..fat? all i know is they arent the same, however they compliment each other wonderfully.
give a listen to my band BitchGypsy (BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads) and you'll hear my guitar (and unfortunately my voice lol) there. you get the idea of the sound i was/am searching for on those tracks...unfortunately we recorded our EP early this yr before i put in the new pickups and the amp i used was a 5150..not bad but i dont believe it compares with Blackstar or Marshall. so when we go back to record more i want to be prepared!
phweeew haha damn that was a lot to type!!



BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyler View Post
well honestly my style is dirty sex rock ha but that doesnt limit the genres my band and i play. thats why im reaaaaaally tryn to get my facts straight before i make a purchase.
im playing through a Gibson Les Paul Classic, ive changed the pickups to a DiMarzio Liquifire for the neck and a Seymore Duncan Alnico II for the bridge..i do believe i jizz everytime i play it..so the sound that guitar puts out is super agressive in treble position and unbelievably..well idk what the word im looking to describe this is..warm?..fat? all i know is they arent the same, however they compliment each other wonderfully.
give a listen to my band BitchGypsy (BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads) and you'll hear my guitar (and unfortunately my voice lol) there. you get the idea of the sound i was/am searching for on those tracks...unfortunately we recorded our EP early this yr before i put in the new pickups and the amp i used was a 5150..not bad but i dont believe it compares with Blackstar or Marshall. so when we go back to record more i want to be prepared!
phweeew haha damn that was a lot to type!!



BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
Good tunes by the way!
Oh, don't sell the 5150 short. It's a great amp really, just different than either the Marshall or Blackstar. The 5150 is a staple for hard rock/metal, kind of like the Roland JC120 is for clean tones and Jazz. It won't be as versatile as either the Vintage Modern Marshall or the Blackstars, but chances are it'll be better than either for hard stuff, IMO.
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlespauls View Post
Good tunes by the way!
Oh, don't sell the 5150 short. It's a great amp really, just different than either the Marshall or Blackstar. The 5150 is a staple for hard rock/metal, kind of like the Roland JC120 is for clean tones and Jazz. It won't be as versatile as either the Vintage Modern Marshall or the Blackstars, but chances are it'll be better than either for hard stuff, IMO.

thanks a lot man!..thats 4 of about 14 songs we've written..at the time that was all we had, now i wish we could go back and change the songs we recorded for our EP, the new ones are 100x better i think hah

but yea i dug the 5150..honestly id never played through one til we got there. he also had an Orange head, id never played one of those either but you had better believe i have heard the hype about them prior. i never got to really jam through it enough tho to see what it offered.

you seem to know your stuff about amps...so that being said, there is a guy i know in a band and by some ****ing MIRACLE he is endorsed by MESA. his amps sound soooo good live and i know guitar gods (Petrucci) use this line..how does it compare to Blackstar/Marshalls?
same question with Orange as well...if you dont mind sharing your knowledge ha

BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Ha, I know enough I guess. Amps are like porn to me, from fndng cheap ones that sound killer to all out high-end can't afford it stuff. Now Mesa is an absolutely awesome amp line hands down. Made in USA, solid quality, feel, and great design. Many get great tones out of em'. Andy timmons comes to mind for me, and for harder rock tone I was blown away watching Kim Thayal live from Soundgarden back in 94.

BUT, they are not for everyone, in many cases they are very complex. Tons of modes, switches, knobs, channels, etc. I used a triple rec in a recording this year(halfstack), seemed great while I was playing it but I dread listening to the tune now thru any type of sound system. The highs were chinsy, lows overpowering, no mids. And that was after a LOT of tweaking. Blah. I've played a Nomad, F30, son of Boogie, a couple others. Just didn't do it for me. The only mesa I'd personally be interested in now is the new Electradyne. Much more pure and simplistic, on paper anyway.

Orange on the otherhand, in my opinion kicks absolute ass. Juicy(no pun intended) full mids, strong lows, easy highs to dial in. How many watts do you need? Are cleans important? The Rocker 30 to me had the most perfect overdriven hard rock tone I've heard in person, but the cleans wee just decent. To be honest the cleans from my USA made Crate Vintage Club 30 destroy the Orange Rocker 30. The dirty tones are close and might match with a tube swap. Orange has 50 and 100 watters available too that I bet just kill, and will be easier to dial in, and you won't get sick of the tone over the years. Mesa seems like an amp Lind that everyone tries out and likes for a couple years. Then get sick of it and move on. Anything Orange that I've played sounded good as soon as I plugged in. Love em'. Try em' man, you'll love em'.
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

A rectifier is pretty godly, if I had the money, I would definatly jump on it
hellraiser_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlespauls View Post
Orange on the otherhand, in my opinion kicks absolute ass. Juicy(no pun intended) full mids, strong lows, easy highs to dial in. How many watts do you need? Are cleans important? The Rocker 30 to me had the most perfect overdriven hard rock tone I've heard in person, but the cleans wee just decent. To be honest the cleans from my USA made Crate Vintage Club 30 destroy the Orange Rocker 30. The dirty tones are close and might match with a tube swap. Orange has 50 and 100 watters available too that I bet just kill, and will be easier to dial in, and you won't get sick of the tone over the years. Mesa seems like an amp Lind that everyone tries out and likes for a couple years. Then get sick of it and move on. Anything Orange that I've played sounded good as soon as I plugged in. Love em'. Try em' man, you'll love em'.
i need at least 100watts i suppose..i use a 150watt now and its super loud. the band is really loud when we play so 100watts+? cleans aren't as important as the dirty..however when i do use clean i am particular in the tone definitely. so that said..would you recommend the Orange over the Marshall or Blackstar? im def sampling an Orange this wkend now though for sure! Guitar Center here i come haha

BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyler View Post
i need at least 100watts i suppose..i use a 150watt now and its super loud. the band is really loud when we play so 100watts+? cleans aren't as important as the dirty..however when i do use clean i am particular in the tone definitely. so that said..would you recommend the Orange over the Marshall or Blackstar? im def sampling an Orange this wkend now though for sure! Guitar Center here i come haha

BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
BitchGypsy | Facebook
Really depends on your overall budget first and foremost, and style. How much you looking to spend overall? Are you looking for a new or used 4x12 cab as well? I'm thinking that the most versatile of these mentioned will be the Blackstar but it won't nail either clean or distortion. The Marshall will do great cleanish and sweet overdrive. The Orange will give KILLER gain, and good medium gain, up to you on cleans.
Money is the big thing here. If you can spend over $1,200 on the head alone, then we've got some other serious contenders to talk about!
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hell
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

honestly id spend around $2000-$2500...itll kill me financially but its not fair to my $2700 Les Paul to be playing through a Line 6 Spider IV!!!! haha this may be a stupid ass question, but is it possible to have and amp set up for dirties and one for cleans? im not sure how you'd switch between the two if you could so thats why i dont even know if thats possible.
jtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
needlespauls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston area
Posts: 5,529
Thanks: 62
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

Oh absolutely you can have two different amps set thru an A/B box/pedal type of dealy.
But hey, if you are playing thru a solid state Spider IV at 100 watts, I'd probably be looking at 50 watt tube heads. A 50 watt tube head will DROWN out a 100 watt solid state head. Kill it, in terms of sheer volume, tone, and how it holds up and cuts thru the mix. Is it the Spider Valve/Bogner, or the regular solid state line?

If you've got up over $2000 to spend on an amp rig, your possibilities for killer equipment and tone are virtually endless!!!
David Bray amps........jesus.........
Granger amps............god...........
REEVES!!!! Just incredible!!!
Rienhardt!!!! I don't know, this is just too sweet!!!
YouTube - GregVmusic's Channel
Keep in mind, all of these high-end amps that I've just listed above at 18 watts up to 50 watts will SLAY a 100 watt solid state amp in terms of tone and how they work in a band situation in most cases. 50 watts in a rock/hard rock to metal band will be probably right on the money. These amps that I've mentioned above are all in a different league than the Marshall's, Orange, Blackstars that were previously mentioned above. Not even close. These amps I just listed will last a lifetime and NOT give you issues, are easy to repair if anything ever does fail. WAY better amps.
If you are looking for something with even higher gain than what I just mentioned with a Marshall type of edge, check out Splawn too!!! Unreal hot-rodded Marshall type amps at great prices considering how they're built and what they are built with.
Splawn.......
needlespauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JakeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DROGHEDA, CO.LOUTH, IRELAND
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 88
Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

what about a lower wattage blackstar like the artisian series?? they are sweet sounding
__________________
Aut Vincere Aut Mori


Epiphone Les Paul Standard Red Flake
Blackstar HT 40
TC Electronic Polytune
EHX Big Muff Pi
MXR Carbon Copy



Proud Member of Teen Axe Dudes
JakeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chrisuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 2,585
Thanks: 38
Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

needlespauls is on the money here.

With that kind of budget go for a hand wired head which will last forever and is easily maintained, serviced and repaired.

Drop the watts back and if you need more volume occasionally boost your amp with a PA. This way you can set up your amp's volume to get the sound you want and then just boost that sound for a bigger venue - tube amps are best worked this way - guys are playing to 80000 folk in a stadium on a 30 watt rigg these days.

And, when you need new valves it is going to be half the cost. And, you can't make a loud amp quieter (obviously you can but it won't sound the same).
chrisuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Marshall vs. Blackstar

I didnt like the Vintage Modern when I tried it plus its an amp that wants to be cranked, I'm using the Blackstar HT-40 I think it smokes all the Marshalls I have owned which were mostly TSL & DSL series. I think Blackstar is definitely worth a try if you get a chance!
J.LaGrassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blackstar, marshall, series one, vintage modern

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2014, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.