MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Instagram

Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
stealthelephant

side by side comparison Chibson vs Gibson

found this.... really interesting

Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Nilitara

Re: side by side comparison Chibson vs Gibson

Thanks for posting that, what an eye opener! Can't help feeling sorry for anyone suckered into buying one of these! What trash. On the flip side I'm not going to slate Chinese workmanship, I've an Epi Joe Bonamassa & I love it, it plays great, sounds great...for the money I paid the finish & level of quality is IMO top drawer.
Epiphone 1960 Tribute plus
Fender 60s CP Strat
Fender Johnny Marr Signature Jaguar

'95 Marshall Jcm900 SL-X 2100
Marshall 1960A Cab
Fender Mini '57 Twin-Amp
Nilitara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
ejendres

Interesting video. However a lot of the points he makes against it don't make a whole lot of sense. Regarding the tuners, the chinese copy has vintage style Kluson type tuners. My Gibson came with the exact same type of tuner, the SigT coming with grovers is an exception not the rule. Yes the top isn't a solid hunk of flame maple, but it was a solid hunk of maple with a veneer so tonally it'd be fine.

Yes the build quality isn't, but chances are these are made in the same factories that makes some of the beloved Chinese guitars.
ejendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
stringbender11

Honestly would anyone expect the copy to really be anything even close to the Gibson? People that believe that ordering a guitar like that will get them a Gibby cheaply just have no clue whatsoever. Or much self worth, imo.
stringbender11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
rjshare

I mean this genuinely, not as some kind of troll comment, but it would be interesting to see a similar appraisal of an equivalent epi.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
stringbender11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshare View Post
I mean this genuinely, not as some kind of troll comment, but it would be interesting to see a similar appraisal of an equivalent epi.

I would expect an Epi to fair much better. The chibson copies are clearly knocked out in large numbers very cheaply, which i guess some peope would argue Epis are as well, but i think Gibson/Epiphone have pretty high QC standards on their guitars.
The only goal it seems like for the chibson makers is making something as cheaply as possible material-wise and workmanship-wise with no QC whatsoever.

My own stock Epi Standard for instance has none of the issues pointed out on the chibson in that video. It doesnt have a Plek'd nut/fretboard but has pretty clean frets nonetheless. It does have the cheaper wiring of course but the rest of the guitar is pretty well made - tight fittings, low action, well cut nut and so on.

The thing is a chibson probably costs as much as an Epi to buy, so buying one seems pointless to me unless the buyer is such a poser they simply must be seen with a 'Gibson' of some type. If you really want a Gibson - which i can totally understand - save up and buy one.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
rjshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbender11 View Post
I would expect an Epi to fair much better. The chibson copies are clearly knocked out in large numbers very cheaply, which i guess some peope would argue Epis are as well, but i think Gibson/Epiphone have pretty high QC standards on their guitars.
The only goal it seems like for the chibson makers is making something as cheaply as possible material-wise and workmanship-wise with no QC whatsoever.

My own stock Epi Standard for instance has none of the issues pointed out on the chibson in that video. It doesnt have a Plek'd nut/fretboard but has pretty clean frets nonetheless. It does have the cheaper wiring of course but the rest of the guitar is pretty well made - tight fittings, low action, well cut nut and so on.

The thing is a chibson probably costs as much as an Epi to buy, so buying one seems pointless to me unless the buyer is such a poser they simply must be seen with a 'Gibson' of some type. If you really want a Gibson - which i can totally understand - save up and buy one.
absolutely i would i expect the epi to fair beter too, but i believe some of them are also veneered for example. like i said, its not a troll comment nor is it a veiled attempt at epi bashing (i own a couple myself) - just genuine curiosity as you dont tend to see epis disassembled and examined in the same way you do gibsons.

agree also about the reasons someone might buy one. no justifiction for ever knowingly buying a fake.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Gmal

Ok. Lets think about it for a second....

What would a genuine Gibson with a top like that cost new? At least 2000 bucks is my best guess.

And someone think They`re gonna get it for a quarter of That from a website in China?

You gotta be ****ing kidding me
Surley no one is THAT stupid
Gmal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
truckermde

Everyone knows the Chibsons are crappy and unethical, like all illegal counterfeit products, but that guy is an ass. Most of his points were moot, in the first 5 min I bothered to watch, anyway.

I don't see how he would influence the opinion of anyone remotely knowledgeable about guitars.

The reason those guitars are ****e is not that they are Chinese, but that they are illegal counterfeit rip-offs. Ethnicity/nationality has nothing to do with it. Crime takes place in every country.

Last edited by truckermde; 01-03-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammar
truckermde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
Gmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmal View Post
Ok. Lets think about it for a second....

What would a genuine Gibson with a top like that cost new? At least 2000 bucks is my best guess.

And someone think They`re gonna get it for a quarter of That from a website in China?

You gotta be ****ing kidding me
Surley no one is THAT stupid

On the more serious side, and to answear my own question: No, nobody is that stupid.

The real pproblem with these guitars comes when someone imports eight of them and sells them off for 1200 dollars on CL, Ebay or whatever, to some poor guy who doesn`t play himself.
He just thinks he just got his son the best birthdaygift ever!
Gmal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
wheelsdeal

Nowdays not even Gibson are that great.I wont even begin to think about the quality of the counterfeits.I totally get it if your budget is 300$ but i cant see the reason to buy a Gibson counterfeit other than to fool yourself (or others) that its a real Gibson.There are a lot of 300$ guitars out there from respected companies that are descent enough.My first electric was a Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX,cost me 270 euro brand new and it was suprisingly good for the money.
Ibanez RG3120
Ibanez RG721

Amps
EVH 5150 III
ENGL Powerball II
ENGL 412 Pro XXL
wheelsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Spiteface

Was it on here where someone bought a Chibson online, completely stripped & dissected it and posted the results? It wasn't pretty as I recall.

I'd sooner buy an Epiphone I was happy with than a Chibson.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
stringbender11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsdeal View Post
Nowdays not even Gibson are that great.I wont even begin to think about the quality of the counterfeits.I totally get it if your budget is 300$ but i cant see the reason to buy a Gibson counterfeit other than to fool yourself (or others) that its a real Gibson.There are a lot of 300$ guitars out there from respected companies that are descent enough.My first electric was a Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX,cost me 270 euro brand new and it was suprisingly good for the money.
Yep, you could buy an Epi, a Yamaha, an Ibanez, a Squier, etc - many other choices out there if you dont have a lot to spend - or dont want to. Not to mention the used market where bargains are everywhere.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
sullimd

Why did my post get deleted???????? I stated that I own 2 Chibsons with some explanation and it got deleted??
sullimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
truckermde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullimd View Post
Why did my post get deleted???????? I stated that I own 2 Chibsons with some explanation and it got deleted??
you posted a link to an illegal counterfeiter
truckermde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
sullimd

Guys Im gonna get thrown out of the forum for saying this... I have 2 Les Paul Customs - one really nice yellowed white one, and a black beauty. I've owned several Gibsons over the years. Love Gibson.

I also have 2 of these Chibsons. I have one in antique Pelham Blue w/ ebony board and one with the natural finish and maple board. Both were custom made for me by communicating with one of the Chinese sellers on the site where I purchased.

For the money, they are pheonominal. Better than any Epiphone I've ever owned. Yes, you have to change out most hardware, but everyone does that anyway?!?!?! Most guys buy $4000 Gibsons and immediately change the tuners, pickups, bridge, pots, etc. Thats a DUMB argument and I've read it many times ("Why would you buy a $300 guitar then spend another $400 to replace all the parts").

Flame me for the legal reasons not to own one, thats fine with me. But the quality is not crap - not the ones I own. They were made specifically for me. For $300 I guarentee 95% of even advanced guitar plays can't tell its not a real Gibson. I've never had a single person say "Wait a minute... thats not real!!". I have Antiquities in one, 59/JB combo in the other one. Bumblebees. Grovers. They play and sound fantastic for the money.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
sullimd

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckermde View Post
you posted a link to an illegal counterfeiter
I figured once I thought about it. I removed the link.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
stringbender11

Quote:
Gibson put the whammy on you!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
sullimd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbender11 View Post
Gibson put the whammy on you!
Probably... No I posted the link where I bought the guitar. I wasn't even thinking about it being against the rules but they were right to delete it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
sullimd

Oh, and the "posers who only want a Gibson logo" argument is invalid as well. We have tons of guys here spending $10k on their "59 replicas" - that clearly say Gibson on the headstock. But for some reason we drool all over those.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Woderwick

You make phoney money, you get locked up. Pity it aint more widespread.
Woderwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #22
Bigfoot410
Premium Member

We all know it's wrong, we all know they suck. But seriously, WTF is that goop in the control cavity?

Looks like some kinda C4 that at some point in the future, the Chinese will hit the "you owe us too much money and won't pay" button and all the fake Chibsons will simultaneously go boom and they will show us what's what. Just an observation...lol.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
paruwi
€piWiki Team

Quote:
Guys Im gonna get thrown out of the forum for saying this... I have 2 Les Paul Customs - one really nice yellowed white one, and a black beauty. I've owned several Gibsons over the years. Love Gibson.

I also have 2 of these Chibsons. I have one in antique Pelham Blue w/ ebony board and one with the natural finish and maple board. Both were custom made for me by communicating with one of the Chinese sellers on the site where I purchased.

For the money, they are pheonominal. Better than any Epiphone I've ever owned. Yes, you have to change out most hardware, but everyone does that anyway?!?!?! Most guys buy $4000 Gibsons and immediately change the tuners, pickups, bridge, pots, etc. Thats a DUMB argument and I've read it many times ("Why would you buy a $300 guitar then spend another $400 to replace all the parts").

Flame me for the legal reasons not to own one, thats fine with me. But the quality is not crap - not the ones I own. They were made specifically for me. For $300 I guarentee 95% of even advanced guitar plays can't tell its not a real Gibson. I've never had a single person say "Wait a minute... thats not real!!". I have Antiquities in one, 59/JB combo in the other one. Bumblebees. Grovers. They play and sound fantastic for the money.
You didn't own much Epis.....

Custom made fakes........

takes the advertising to a new level

I don't have any reason to lie to you - I just do it for fun
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
Mordor

Quote:

Flame me for the legal reasons not to own one, thats fine with me. But the quality is not crap. For $300 I guarentee 95% of even advanced guitar plays can't tell its not a real Gibson. I've never had a single person say "Wait a minute... thats not real!!". I have Antiquities in one, 59/JB combo in the other one. Bumblebees. Grovers. They play and sound fantastic for the money.
4000$ guitars fall well into the Custom Shop range.If you ever see anyone change hardware on these things, it's either because they bought a good guitar but they've got a different taste in e.g. pickups or they're after a feature that they like better, but they also really like the rest of the guitar.But in any case, the price they pay for those changes are merely a fraction of the guitar's overall cost.Paying 400$ for a 300$ guitar is like paying 5000+$ for the 4000$ guitar.None really does that (I hope)

Their being similar to Epiphones is anticipated for obvious reasons, and if a guitar is nicely set-up, with different pickups, then there isn't much left to improve.The extra cost of Gibsons comes from having a company located in the USA that has American workers and distributes products worldwide.

I wonder, did you buy your Chibsons out of curiosity, or because you wanted a cheap guitar?
Since for some people the latter seems true, I will repeat what was previously pointed out: Why buy a Chinese guitar (especially as a novice player) the moment that there are SO many options out there for only a small extra charge, BUT with a manufacturer/store warranty, good reputation, and "combat-proven" instruments?Why support an illegal market whose very initial purpose was to deceive and trick?
Mordor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
sullimd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor View Post

I wonder, did you buy your Chibsons out of curiosity, or because you wanted a cheap guitar?
Since for some people the latter seems true, I will repeat what was previously pointed out: Why buy a Chinese guitar (especially as a novice player) the moment that there are SO many options out there for only a small extra charge, BUT with a manufacturer/store warranty, good reputation, and "combat-proven" instruments?Why support an illegal market whose very initial purpose was to deceive and trick?
Those are good questions.

First off Im not a novice player. I've been playing for over 20 years. Been in bands, taught guitar lessons on the side for years, etc. I bought one the first time because I was curious. A buddy of mine (also not a novice player) bought one and I was like...well damn, thats a really nice guitar. So I contacted the guy he bought from and told him I wanted one made to my exact specs - color, fretboard, etc. I get this thing in, and its a 9lb "Les Paul", made to my specs for $300. I was just blown away. So my second one, I knew exactly what I was getting - a $300 guitar, better quality than Epiphone, ~9lbs, made to my color, my pickup cavity choice (P90, hum, single), my fretboard choice, my knob type choice, etc. And I can get a LP...335...Firebird...? Are you kidding me? That was my logic to buy again.

I'd have to disagree with the deceive and trick comments too. That may be how they started out with lots of products. I mean, they recently opened a FAKE Apple store. But with the guy I dealt with, we both knew perfectly well that the guitar wasn't a genuine Gibson. Do people really pay $300 and think its a real Gibson?

Can someone shed some light on how the Chibsons are wrong, but if its deemed a "59 Replica" then its ok? Thats a serious question, because I don't get the logic.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
Ozzy Mandeus

Quote:

Post a pic or two, and let the 95% of advanced guitarists here see if they can tell it's fake then!

I'll say the same here as I said in a recently nuked thread on this exact topic...

I met a guy recently who owns a chibson standard and he made the same claims as you. I offered him the chance to test his theory by doing a side by side comparison of my LP and his "guitar". It wasn't pretty. He doesn't like it any more.

It's like kit car owners telling you it's the same as a real ferrari when even blind people can tell it was a 1994 pontiac firebird. Deluded, and pointless.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
Fernandomania

People that buy Chibsons are the kind of people that wear fake Rolexes and Omegas. I'd rather have a real Epiphone than a fake Gibson. And for that matter, I'd rather have a real Seiko than a fake Rolex.

-----------------------------------
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul R8 VOS
Gibson ES-335
Fender AVHR '62 Stratocaster
Fernandomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
paruwi
€piWiki Team

Quote:
Those are good questions.

First off Im not a novice player. I've been playing for over 20 years. Been in bands, taught guitar lessons on the side for years, etc. I bought one the first time because I was curious. A buddy of mine (also not a novice player) bought one and I was like...well damn, thats a really nice guitar. So I contacted the guy he bought from and told him I wanted one made to my exact specs - color, fretboard, etc. I get this thing in, and its a 9lb "Les Paul", made to my specs for $300. I was just blown away. So my second one, I knew exactly what I was getting - a $300 guitar, better quality than Epiphone, ~9lbs, made to my color, my pickup cavity choice (P90, hum, single), my fretboard choice, my knob type choice, etc. And I can get a LP...335...Firebird...? Are you kidding me? That was my logic to buy again.

I'd have to disagree with the deceive and trick comments too. That may be how they started out with lots of products. I mean, they recently opened a FAKE Apple store. But with the guy I dealt with, we both knew perfectly well that the guitar wasn't a genuine Gibson. Do people really pay $300 and think its a real Gibson?

Can someone shed some light on how the Chibsons are wrong, but if its deemed a "59 Replica" then its ok? Thats a serious question, because I don't get the logic.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibs...ml#post5551459

Quote:
I completely agree. I only play ebony on my Les Pauls. Another cork-sniffer-ish thing I have is that all my guitars have to be double-bound... So yes, I only have Les Paul Customs, and some Tele's that are double-bound. Studio's make me have nightmares...
Now what ?

I don't have any reason to lie to you - I just do it for fun
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
Preacher403

The guy had a few interesting points, but several I found funny. The use of Kluson style tuners that he thought were cheap and crappy, also seems to be Gibsons favorite type of tuner. I've NOT bought guitars because they had Klusons. However, the cheaper press in bushings used were probably different from most Gibsons that use Klusons.

The fact the chibson didn't have nibs was funny too, since Gibson has decided that is a selling point on the 2014 models.

A large chunk of that video seemed to be "Look at my Gibson! It's great, isn't it? Unlike this other guitar..." without making any real valid point (seriously...the pickup is slightly tipped? Just how many Gibsons has he really looked at lately? And zebra bobbins are an issue? Anyone told Slash yet?)

Did he even notice the Chibson had dual slug pickups and the real one had screws on one side? Though Gibson is using the dual slug pickups in the LPJs...

For me, the REAL differences were the poor routing, fret leveling, and overall sloppiness in parts/workmanship.
'12 Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro
'13 Epi Les Paul Tribute+
'13 Gibson Les Paul LPJ
'13 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II
'11 Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster (natural)
'12 Fender Telecaster (Antigua)
'
10 Ibanez
AF75TDG
Ariana STG-3
Ibanez AM73T
Alvarez Dana Scoop
LTD EC-50
'15 Variax Standard

Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
sullimd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paruwi View Post
What? The two Chibsons are customs - both double bound. And I own two real Gibson Customs.

Tags
fake lover