MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > MLP Community > The Backstage
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Instagram

Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Spot

Leading up to the Queensryche break-up

I was talking this morning with Eddie Jackson’s sister after she made a comment on Facebook about how angry she was about this Geoff Tate / Queensryche mess. She sent me a link to a website that got hold of one of the documents Michael Wilton filed to block an injunction Tate is filing against the three remaining members of Queensryche to not use the name. Here’s the juicy piece -

"On the day of our show in Brazil, Geoff Tate demanded a meeting before the show. We agreed to meet before sound check. We all decided it was best to record the meeting. He asked why we fired Susan Tate and what it was that we wanted. We stated that we were no longer interested in Susan Tate as management and that we wanted different representation. He asked if we had anyone in mind and we told him we were in talks with AGPS (this is the management team that I proposed we talk to in 2010) but that nothing was agreed to. He then asked about our thoughts regarding him selling the rights away to 'Operation: Mindcrime'. He said, 'You have frozen my money.' We stated we felt it was done behind our backs and as we were part of the creation of 'Operation: Mindcrime', we felt it was an intellectual property issue and needed to be reviewed by an attorney. Geoff Tate stated that he had nothing more to say, got up and walked towards the door, and then said, 'Have a nice show.' The meeting was brief. I didn't see Geoff Tate again until we were in the elevator back at the hotel (where he said nothing to me and I said nothing to him), and when we were in the lobby to meet our van to take us to the show. Geoff Tate decided to stay in the bar instead of going with the band and arrived later. The next time I saw him was as we were walked onto the stage by our tour manager.

"Geoff Tate was setting up his station and the three of us walked around his area to our stations. I walked over to the area where my equipment was. I had just put on my guitar in preparation for the show when I heard a loud bang and then an 'uh oh' by our singer, Geoff Tate. I looked over to see that he (Geoff Tate) had knocked over the whole drum kit and was now spitting at our drummer, Scott Rockenfield, and yelling obscenities at him. At this point, I went over behind the drums to help assist pushing the drums back up on the stage when I heard our singer say, 'Hey, Mike, have a nice show,' and then when I looked at him, he spit right in my face and called me a 'motherf**ker.' As I was wiping my face, feeling violated, Geoff Tate came back at me yelling obscenities, 'F**ker,' 'F**k you, you mother f**ker.' I gave him a look from my towel, he approached me and when I was not looking, he punched me on the side of my face. The punch also hit my right eye which had a contact lens in it. My contact jostled and I was trying to get it back in place so I could see. I told him to get away from me, but he kept pushing his chest into me calling me '*****, f**king *****! What, are you going to cry?' My eye was watering from my contact, I couldn't see clearly, and I pushed him away. Then Scott Rockenfield (our drummer) came down and told him to get away from me. Geoff Tate then threw another punch at me, but I ducked and it hit Scott Rockenfield right in the face (his mouth area). Scott Rockenfield told him to back off and then Geoff Tate punched Scott Rockenfield again in the face. At this point our tour manager, Fozzy O'Hare, pulled Geoff Tate away and one of our guitar technicians, Kenny Bender, helped me by getting a cold water bottle on my face to stop any swelling or redness. Geoff Tate came back over and called me a '*****' and a 'crybaby' again. I told everyone I needed a minute until I was able to get my vision back and I was moved to the other side of the stage until the crew felt they could get the situation under control. I then told my guitar technician, Gino Bishop, to get a towel to wipe off all the spit on my guitar that kept coming from Geoff Tate. From this side of the stage, I could see confusion between the security and our crew. Everyone was shocked and completely caught off guard with Geoff Tate's irrational and violent behavior. Geoff Tate was continuing to move about the stage, trying to get around the security and crew who were trying to block him from any further attacks and trying to get him under control. He continued to rant back and forth, spitting at the band members and their equipment. Fozzy O'Hare was finally able to pull Geoff Tate off stage and took him to where his station is during the performance. At this point, we were not sure if we were going to continue the show or if we would have to cancel due to Geoff Tate's antics and violence. There was communication between Gino Bishop and Fozzy O'Hare as to what to do. Fozzy O'Hare then indicated that Geoff Tate had calmed down and he was ready to do the show. Gino Bishop had a security guard stationed right behind Geoff Tate and one right behind Scott Rockenfield just in case Geoff Tate tried to attack the band members and their equipment again.

"Geoff Tate delayed the show by about 20+ minutes and tried to provide a situation for show cancellation. The rest of the band remained professional and committed to the show, even as Geoff Tate spit on Scott Rockenfield throughout the show and threw water at my equipment between songs and tried to mess with not only our equipment but also tried to compromise our performance”

http://soundcloud.com/spotmandoo/covers-from-the-black-lagoon

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/2704/vzhCpJ.jpg
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
GuitarToneFreak

Re: Leading up to the Queensryche break-up

What? I had no idea they got rid of Tate! Damn!

Oh well, at least I got to see them live a couple of times, great shows both of them. This sucks, though.
GuitarToneFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Malikon
(ಠ_x) ༼☉

Thanked 2,023 Times in 412 Posts

sounds like the singer is a prima donna a**hole.

The drummer should've kicked his arse.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Laaz
Banned

Laaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Scooter2112

The band was never the same once Chris DeGarmo left. Mike Stone was a good replacement live, but didn't have the same song-writing chemistry with Michael Wilton that DeGarmo had. Those two guys were peanut butter and jelly.

Not surprising that GT has come down with prima-donna front guy syndrome. Sounds like he needed to pursue a solo career to prove to himself what his actions have explained about his views. I doubt they will be confirmed and his solo time will be lackluster at best.

Saw them live MANY times over the years, going back to the first EP in '82 or so, and was NEVER disappointed in their live show... other than some of the political yapping by Tate which was never necessary or appreciated.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Laaz
Banned

QA: Geoff Tate on Queensryche's Ugly Split, Backstage Brawl in Brazil | Music News | Rolling Stone
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Rich
Banned

Thanked 1,453 Times in 415 Posts

Thanks for the info, Spot and Laaz.

This is the first I've heard of this too. What a messed up situation. I know personalities can conflict, but I've never understood why bands let legal matters get in between them. The odds of making it big in the music business are astronomical so why mess up a good thing based on money? Sure, we all want a fair share and what's right is right, but why blow up the entire thing and end up with nothing in the end?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Scooter2112

He's in total denial. Read between the lines in that article.

Lots of red flags there. One of the greatest voices in the rock world with an amazing theatrical presence, yet 4 other guys who haven't voiced any disagreements with either the material, tour schedule, or creative direction of the band suddenly don't want him as their front man?

Time to ****-can the conceit and come to terms with yourself.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Leendrix
The Cheeky One

Sounds like another Axl. This is really disapointing. I'm not the biggest Queensryche fan, but Geoff is an amazing singer, and this really ruins it.

Thanks for the post, Spot!

https://soundcloud.com/leechavezmusic/equites-mortis-sanguis-bathoniesis-2015-remaster

"Equites Mortis Aduentius (Sanguis Bathoniensis)" from my EP, "Death Riders - REMASTERED!"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
<snip>

id **** in the rain if i had to.

i didnt have to so i didnt though.
Leendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Shawn Lutz

Two sides to every story but I have a hard time understanding how of two people that were punched in the face by Geoff Tate did nothing about it. Seriously, if I get punched in the face it's on and its not going to be pretty. I'm not into violence to settle disputes but once it becomes violent its going to be ugly.

If Geoff Tate is calling you a *****, he's a big ***** himself you must REALLY be a ***** I'm not buying this story nor am I buying Geoff's side of either...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
AXE
Six String Soldier

Complete Jagoff!

AXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Laaz
Banned

As they fade into the dark.

Last edited by Laaz; 07-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Malikon
(ಠ_x) ༼☉

I have never found this band as fascinating as I do at this moment.

*popcorn*
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Rankelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaz View Post
A fine example of the Ryche at their best

Master Tate is a Wanker

Unfortunately

Rankelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
SFK
V.I.P. Member

This is the most I've ever cared about Queensryche.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
MineGoesTo11

I didn't even know they were still around!

My YouTube Channel
MineGoesTo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Spot

[QUOTE=Shawn Lutz;4062288]Two sides to every story
QUOTE]

Rumors about the tension in the QR camp have been rumbling around Seattle for couple years now. I talked to Michael at one of his Whip Ale shows and another time at the place his side project practices at and he’s been very tight-lipped and professional about it. He’s a sweetheart of a guy and it doesn’t surprise me that he’d be pro enough to not engage in a fist fight moments before a show starts. Same with Rockenfield. I also talked to one of the other 3 guitarists they’ve had since Chris left and over several drinks pieces of the back story came out. Bottom line is Tate is an egotistical control freak. 5 people in a band – if 4 of them think the 5th is a dickhead then he’s more than likely a dickhead

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
Spot

Found the whole article. It’s a long read but it’s a first-hand account of the band’s deterioration. Lesson #1, do not let the singer bring his wife in to be the band manager.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - QUEENSR

Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Scooter2112

Based on nothing more than appearances, Tate wouldn't have gotten away with decking Mike Stone.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Malikon
(ಠ_x) ༼☉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Lesson #1, do not let the singer bring his wife in to be the band manager.
How Spinal Tap.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Scooter2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon View Post

*popcorn*
You were probably occupying a testicle at the time.

Classic Rock, eh?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
your idol

Quote:
I have never found this band as fascinating
Fix'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFK View Post
This is the most I've ever cared about Queensryche.
I still DONT care about em but I dont care about trains either til i see em wreck. Lets face it were enamored with the meltdown and not the band.

To me the only thing about Queensryche that id ever liked is at kareoke bars. If there was some hesher reject there i would spend my ENTIRE night convincing them that i think they could and totally should sing and nail Jet City Woman...when they try its ALWAYS a disaster... Try it sometime! Its a blast. Hell the best one i had this kid "wolf" as he went buy do it...he didnt even know the damn words.. Neither did i but i sure as hell wasnt gonna sing it

Quote:
Then you have Idol who just brains them and fingers the squishy parts.

your idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Malikon
(ಠ_x) ༼☉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter2112 View Post
You were probably occupying a testicle at the time.

Classic Rock, eh?
not quite.

I'd been playing a couple years when Mindcrime came out. I just never got into Queensryche.

At the time I was much more interested in...

I saw no technical challenge to playing QR songs, so they were totally off my radar at the time.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Gin&Pentatonic

Damn. I wonder if they'll try to trade him for Dwight Howard.
Gin&Pentatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Ledheadforlife

I think I believe Tate's version, he said it's basically about money because he gets a 25% take, he said they wanted to kick him out and find some hired gun who'll work for an hourly wage or salary so they could split his 25%. Makes sense to me.
.My girlfriend said Led Zeppelin sucks. Now she's single. Just kidding, she's dead.
Ledheadforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
Thumpalumpacus
Skeptical eye

What a bummer. I was a big fan of theirs back in the day, and saw them on the Promised Land tour.

Tate's grandstanding in the RS interview. The **** about "writing 81% of all the songs" ignores the fact that those are all shared credits. It also ignores the fact that Empire, which is by far their bread-and-butter album which feeds their families, was a full-group effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXE View Post
After that ****, there would have been a discussion in the blue room:

"Dude, wtf were you thinking? You pull that **** again, you'll be singing ****ing karaoke in ****splat, Nevada before you can pronounce the ****ing town name."

You never slam your audience. If you want them to be more pumped up -- you throw down harder. Or you break out the ole "Let's rock and roll, Cleveland!" Or you dig out an old chestnut that you never play, and give 'em a treat.

But you don't tell the audience "you suck."

There would definitely be an "if you ever pull that **** again" discussion after that ****.

There's surely two sides to this story, but if my singer talks to ticket-buying fans like that, some ****'s gonna happen, and I'm gonna be a dick.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
Shawn Lutz

They also can't blame Tate for the three poor album sales. Let's be brutally honest here....the genre pretty died a long time ago. Records from bands of the past generally don't sell well. It wouldn't matter if all original members were there and getting along like brothers or best friends.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
Hairless_Ape
Thread Killer

Wait...who broke up?

Never mind, with a name like that I'm already completely disinterested.
Hairless_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
LesLuvva

All alone now, except for the memories...

An LP
An SG
Couple of Strats
A Tele
An amp or two
LesLuvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
jeff_farkas

Quote:

*popcorn*

jeff_farkas is online now   Reply With Quote