MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > The Squawk Box > Amp Modeling
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Instagram

Old 06-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
H.E.L.Shane

YAMAHA THR-10 review!

So I was in Harrisburg yesterday for a dr. appointment. I needed some strings ASAP and because BCR was closed, I decided to stop in at guitar denter.

I’ve also been looking for a living room level amplifier / practice amplifier / laptop interface that actually sounds good. I have a gsp1101 processor in my stage rig that has most of the requirements, but, its in a giant, heavy rack and doesn’t have its own speakers and it’s just basically a PITA to use it in the living room..

So I took a look around… and there sits a THR-10 in an unopened box.. It came in on the truck that morning and they hadn’t even opened it…..
Soooo I got a monkey to open it up for me, plugged it in, gave it a quick run through with a p-90 equipped LP special…… dam.. sounds pretty good..

Bought it..
OK.. got it home, unpacked it .. and this is basically what ya got to deal with:

Controls are pretty self explanatory.. Hold the tap button down for the tuner.. once you get your tone dialed in, hold down one of the preset buttons and its stored.. you can then make any changes your want and hit the button again and it will revert to that preset until you turn one of the knobs again.

Pretty nifty.

The guitar and USB knobs are used to dial the amp sound into the mix of an Ipod or the like.. works very well. I dialed a Judas Priest sound in, then hooked up the Ipod and played along with heading out to the highway, and after some tweaking… it was just like KK had gotten drunk and recorded his tracks!! LOL

The Effect and Delay knobs are similar to the Marshalls with multiple effects on one knob.. you set the depth of the effect by turning knob and the rate with the tap tempo button.. works OK..

Chorus is great, reverbs are excellent. Delay is good.. didn’t mess with much else..

NOW.. I didn’t dick with it yet.. but…there is an editor available for use with a laptop that allows you to hook the buggar up tp a PC and make more detailed adjustments to the effects (like delay time, feedback, frequency cut.. etc), Change the cabinet for the amp model, add compression and a noise gate, etc. These can then be save to the computer as presets for use with recording software, but they can also be saved to the amp at the same time by holding a preset button down.

I need to get this because I am not happy with the tone of the “Modern” amp model, and changing the cabinet may solve this.

On to the sound test:

First guitar was my H.E.L. Tele with a lil’ 59 in the bridge and an Alnico2 in the neck..

Cleans are AWESOME.. AWESOME.. with low output pickups like the Alnico 2, you can get a perfect clean sound (with different voicings) up through the “Brit” amp model just by rolling the volume back (its not necessary to roll it off on Clean or Crunch with the A2) The Lil 59 cleaned up completely on Clean, Crunch and lead.. but in “brit” mode, it never got completely clean unless rolled the gain on the amp back as well.

I was really impressed with the warmth of the amp… it does sound really good at living room levels. I would say it reacts as good, if not better, than a tube preamp to changes in the volume and tone level of your guitar.

So then I tried my H.E.L. Valkyrie with Duncan Mustaine actives through it (active JB and jazz) .. Clean is still great.. however, with the higher output pickups, “Crunch” actually became “Crunch” and great for bluesy type stuff. “Lead” was perfect for classic Rock, “Brit high” is hot rodded JCM 800 range.

I was not impressed with the “modern” amp model with either guitar.. to dark and flubby.. it will not clean up with either pickup… SOOOOOoo I tried my old Mesa DR trick with it.. turn the gain down until palm muting gets tight (around 12 Oclock on this amp) and then add an OD pedal set as a booster…(level at 2 oclock, drive at 9 o clock).. BINGO.. flubby ness gone… brutal gain.. but its still dark.. I will try and change this when I load the editor software by changing the cabinet and adding a compressor…

Next I tried the clean channel with a Metal Zone in front of it.. AWESOME..

I still have a LOT of playing around to do with the thing, but, my overall impression is that the sound quality of it is very good and living room levels, and that’s exactly what I was looking for. However.. its still pretty dam loud if you want it to be…

Finally, tried it on battery power and WHOO HOO! Jam anywhere!

So far, I am most impressed with the clean and OD sounds.. very nice.... need to play around withe editor to see if i can tweak the Modern some to get the muddy darkness out of it.. but all in all i'm very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"I've been hit with a metal chair so many times that the top of my head smell like ass!"

Last edited by H.E.L.Shane; 06-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.
H.E.L.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to H.E.L.Shane For This Useful Post:
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Fireproof
Premium Member

Re: YAMAHA THR-10 review!

Great review - thanks for the right up.

I have one of these wrapped up by my wife & kids as my father's day present. Not that I really need another amp, but having something small and portable will be fun to play with. Can't wait until I GET TO play with it!

Gear:
- '16 Gibson Les Paul Standard - Fire Burst
- '08 Gibson Les Paul Standard - Iced Tea
- '12 Fender 50s Road Worn Stratocaster
- '12 Martin DCPA4
- Various other acoustics and amps and such
Fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
5-0 phonebooth

Another happy THR owner. That's about 100 to 1 per my count in favor of this sweetie, and that one was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
Not that I really need another amp
I think you'll soon find this is not just another amp. I'd say most players need this great item, but it may never catch on with many because they won't even try it. Have a very rockin' FD!
5-0 phonebooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
H.E.L.Shane

OK... I really need to download the THR editor...

I was jamming along last night with the Ipad.. and one of the amps endearing qualities actually became a hitch to me while jamming along..

I was playing the Dirty Looks "Cool fron the wire" album and just couldn't get the right tone... all the distorted models were just too dark.. i finally got it using the LEAD model with the gain back and an overdrive in front with the tone up level flat and a bit of grit dialed in!! (this could also be becasue i was playing my SG with a BBQ Bucker)

Be that as it may..

I'm still in love with this thing with my Tele on the lower gain stuff.. AWESOME...

Its gonna take some getting used to becasue I'm so used to all my tones in the rack system (that it took a year of tweaking to get!!) and i know exactly which preset for which guitar and style of music on there!!!!

This isn't necessarily a BAD thing either..... I'm a closet nerd and I love messing with gadgets.

trying to match tones with an MP3 aside... as a stand alone noodling around on the couch amp.. the thing kicks ass!

Quote:
"I've been hit with a metal chair so many times that the top of my head smell like ass!"
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
nutsauce

Cool review man, glad you're digging it. Got mine several weeks ago and just love it. I use the Brit Hi setting mostly and it sounds great.
nutsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Tenacious T

I want one!
Tenacious T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
5-0 phonebooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious T View Post
I want one!
They're often priced new at well under $300 now, you should have one already. Good luck!
'05 DynaLap 8 str. steel
'60 Magnatone - Mark V black, slab body
'05 Mex Custom Shop Strat - Shoreline Gold
'09 PRS SE Santana - black
'09 PRS SE Soapbar II - maple top
'95 Washburn - J-10 sunburst
Magnatone - MP5, Magnatone - M10C, Gibson - 88S, Guild - Thunder Bass, Crate - Vintage Club 30, Webster-Chicago 375, Electromuse, Marvel - 35, MicroCube - RX, Yamaha - THR10
5-0 phonebooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
singlecut

GREAT REVIEW
ENJOY
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
blouie

Thanks for the review - reviews like yours got me interested! Having the chance to try one got me sold!

I recently purchased one and I can only say WOW!!! Guitar Denter happen to have 2 in stock (to the amazement of the salesman) but they were both out of the box with the boxes and inserts already thrown away!!!!!!! (Sorry for venting but these people either NEVER have what I'm looking for or they throw away the boxes). Needless-to-say, I got it online for $50 cheaper and paid no tax and got free shipping!!!

I've been looking for for something to use "live" (in a venue where I CANNOT use a real amp!!!). After an original POD, POD 2.0, XT Live and POD HD500, I finally gave up! I've bought and sold guitars, changed pickups numerous times, always thinking it was the guitars when it was the modeling processors the whole time!!!!

Enter the Fender Mustang IV - I liked it a lot so I used that for quite a while. Still really like the Fender Mustang, however I got tired of carrying it around.

Lucky for me GC had the THR10 for me to try. It is SOOOOO good. Once I found out the internal speakers are Hi-Fi and the amp/cabinet modeling translated so well internally, I knew it would translate well through the PA and through the Avions. Yamaha sells this as a "home" practice amp and USB interface. Can't fault them for the lack of features to use "live" but I really wish it had a few extras (foot control to switch patches, volume, wah).

So, now I use a Seymour Duncan booster, Akai Compressor, VOX Satchurator, VOX Ice 9 and a Seymour Duncan delay - (in that order) in front of the THR10. Keeping the THR10 on the "Crunch" model w/ gain and EQ's at 12 o'clock (basically "clean") and volume at 3 o'clock w/ some of the THR's reverb; I can go from Clean, OD (Ice 9) or beautiful lead (Sacth through the Ice 9). It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

It's portable, it's sexy, it sounds great, it's simple. Just awesome.

The tuner works well and I've played around with the Editor. Although I'm using external delay the ability to separately control delay and reverb in the editor is really cool. The compressor is great as well as the noise reduction/gate. I end up using compression externally also because I prefer in front of the od/distortion.

My Les Paul in particular (490R) sounds amazing. Better than anything else I've ever played through. My Strat w/ Dimarzio areas sound just beautiful. The only thing I haven't been able to get a good sound with my EBMM JPX. The JPX sounds great through the Mustang IV but still iffy on the THR10!

Thanks again for the review - it was helpful.
blouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
markinatlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsauce View Post
Got mine several weeks ago and just love it. I use the Brit Hi setting mostly and it sounds great.
Yeah that's the setting I use mostly on mine, too. I haven't even bothered with the software yet!
markinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
nutsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinatlanta View Post
Yeah that's the setting I use mostly on mine, too. I haven't even bothered with the software yet!
Same here, I'm an IT guy and haven't even messed with the software. That's how happy I am with it as is. Here is a very good demo for those that have never heard one.

Last edited by nutsauce; 08-31-2012 at 08:58 AM.
nutsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
markinatlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsauce View Post
Same here, I'm an IT guy and haven't evened messed with the software. That's how happy I am with it as is.
Exactly. Hell I sell software for a F100 company, ha. Am sure I will eventually just for fun, but the thing sounds perfect as is, for a modeling amp.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #13
BuzzHaze
V.I.P. Member

The editor is great. You can dial in some compression and/or a gate and save it to a preset. There's also a whole whack of presets already there that you can try out, add to and save to your drive or 5 presets on the amp. The editor also allows fine control over the effects and all that. It's such a great unit. I use it a lot for practice and can take it out on the step running batteries. Play and watch the sun go down.

I wish I would have had it a few months back when I was running around trying out used guitars. A number of the sellers did not have an amp. I bought a 2001 LP Standard and the pots were crackling like crazy. I didn't notice it until I got home and plugged it in. I might have been able to knock off $50 haha!! He was only asking $1500 so no big deal.

IMO, It has great value for the $300 asking price.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
http://www.soundclick.com/buzzhaze
BuzzHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
djphelan01

I went to GC yesterday to try both the 5 and the 10. I wanted to see if the options on the 10 were worth $100 more. I preferred the sound of the 5 but after doing a lot of reading I ordered the 10. I plan on using it a lot so that I can see if I use the extra options much. If not I'll return it and get the 5. If I didnt compare the 2 side by side I don't think I would have noticed the difference in sound since it was a small but noticable difference to me.

To the OP, great review thanks for posting.
djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
BuzzHaze
V.I.P. Member

Ryder really likes the THR series as they produce the much sought after slash tones

Some fancy hand movements....

A little too much gain

Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
djphelan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHaze View Post
Ryder really likes the THR series as they produce the much sought after slash tones

Some fancy hand movements....

A little too much gain
Future Duane in the making, very nice! Hopefully he has found the tone he is looking for
djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
H.E.L.Shane

Ya know.. i just hooked my rack rig up through my Mesa 2x12 in the house when nobody was home.... figuring i could do some jamming and not bother anybody.....

Well....

I couldn't get it to a volume to where the V-30's were limbered up and sounding good without shaking the windows.....

After about ten minutes.... I turned it off and sat the THR-10 on top of the rig and kept jammin!!

I got the editor now too... AWESOME... AWESOME... AWESOME... makes the delays and chorus settings SOooooooooo much better... the noicegate is also nice as i thought it wout be.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
BuzzHaze
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.L.Shane View Post
I couldn't get it to a volume to where the V-30's were limbered up and sounding good without shaking the windows.....

After about ten minutes.... I turned it off and sat the THR-10 on top of the rig and kept jammin!!
I do the same thing because it's faster and easier to light up the THR than the Roadster, especially if I just want to work out a part or figure out a riff. It also has the acoustic guitar selector (THR10 only) so I can quickly use it to write or work out rhythm parts on the acoustic.

I hate to light up the Roadster for a 20 min run....but when I do, it kicks ASS!!! and reminds me why it costs $3000 haha!!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #19
Matty

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Kyle76

I figured something new was in the works, what with Sweetwater sold out and THR5's showing up on Hello Music recently. I hope they will give existing owners some new stuff via firmware update.
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
Rhust

I wonder if the new ones will be more $$ or keep the same price point

to me if the new 10 stays at 299 it will be much more attractive, personally.
2006 Epi SG g400 vintage
Schecter omen 6
1947 Gibson J45

AMPs:
Peavey 6505mh
Yamaha THR10X
Panama tonewoods cab with 'Dirty30'

I like my tone as dirty as a stripper trying to make rent
Rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
markinatlanta

DANG. That was quick
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
BuzzHaze
V.I.P. Member

I didn't see anything that would make me regret getting the THR10. So it has the compression and gate on a knob....and a few other voices, that could probably be dialed in on the existing model.

I suppose it would be an upgrade but don't be surprised if you find out the original is still better for some reason...haha, like so many other things. There's a reason they are changing something that already had great reviews and was flying off the shelves. Makes me wonder.....

How long has the THR5 & 10 been out?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Kyle76

Quote:

Released in US early this year, I think. Late last year in Europe.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
markinatlanta

Quote:

Not long at all, got mine in MAY and I was one of the first in US. Was on a waitlist.

But I had the opposite reaction of you, I'm impressed with the additional voiceings and effects being added. Just would've thought they'd stay with the 10, and add these at a higher pricepoint.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
Luckynumber3

Interesting, was looking at gettng an ac15vr, but i'll have to see what yamaha does with these new amps.
Luckynumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
IanMak3103

Just wondering whether this is available in Australia, yet? As we always get things that are much later than everybody else......
Wanting to buy my first amp!
Been searching for a few, this one looks and sounds interesting.

GUITARS:
2012 Epiphone LP Custom PRO Silverburst - Silvana
2010 Epiphone LP Tribute 1960 Trans Black - Trisha
K.Garage EA400 MiK

AMPS:
VOX VT40+
Ashton BA15
Effects:
Digitech RP1000
IanMak3103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
Kyle76

Existing models should be available in Oz. Check eBay and online merchants. The new models are coming in October, but no info on where the rollout will be. Monday, Sept. 10, was listed on the now-removed YouTube trailer as the date of introduction, so look for details next week.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #29
IanMak3103

I know there are the TRH-5 available, but it seems the TRH-10 has a lot more function, might be better in value, yeah?

GUITARS:
2012 Epiphone LP Custom PRO Silverburst - Silvana
2010 Epiphone LP Tribute 1960 Trans Black - Trisha
K.Garage EA400 MiK

AMPS:
VOX VT40+
Ashton BA15
Effects:
Digitech RP1000
IanMak3103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
Kyle76

The 10 has five presets, three tone knobs instead of one, a separate volume knob for input source, and a models for flat, bass and acoustic. It's taller, deeper and longer and $100 more in the US. It depends on what those things are worth to you. The 5 is considerably smaller and sounds about the same.