MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pedals
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Instagram

Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
Guitar Rod

NAIAPD! Tech 21 Character Series Oxford

Went to buy a speaker cable plus some strings and left with a Tech 21 Oxford "Orange" amp in a pedal as well. They had a local store sale on it for $99 CDN ($75 US) instead of the usual $220. Couldn't pass it up since I enjoy my other amp in a pedal, the Joyo AC Tone, and this was just a bit more expensive for the real deal.

Played around with it, mainly the recommended settings. The British Pop one for some Kossov and the Sabbath one are pretty good. Haven't had a chance to tweak it to my liking. The Zep setting fed back like crazy.

Anyone (northernguitarguy?) have some good settings that get it close to known Orange amps? I'm not really knowledgeable on them and don't know what to listen for though I generally love the raw Orange sound.
Guitar Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
northernguitarguy
SWeAT hOg

Re: NAIAPD! Tech 21 Character Series Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Rod View Post
Went to buy a speaker cable plus some strings and left with a Tech 21 Oxford "Orange" amp in a pedal as well. They had a local store sale on it for $99 CDN ($75 US) instead of the usual $220. Couldn't pass it up since I enjoy my other amp in a pedal, the Joyo AC Tone, and this was just a bit more expensive for the real deal.

Played around with it, mainly the recommended settings. The British Pop one for some Kossov and the Sabbath one are pretty good. Haven't had a chance to tweak it to my liking. The Zep setting fed back like crazy.

Anyone (northernguitarguy?) have some good settings that get it close to known Orange amps? I'm not really knowledgeable on them and don't know what to listen for though I generally love the raw Orange sound.
I find the pedal feeds back like a MF'er when the volume knob is above 10 o'clock and the gain is up. All the controls are extremely sensitive, so it requires a bit of patience to dial it in. I couldn't get a decent clean tone out of it, but then, I can't get a clean tone I like out of my Tiny Terror. Mostly what I got out of owning it is confirmation that I hate playing through headphones, even though it sounds more like an Orange amp than the Line 6 POD 'Citrus' settings I've heard. It does sound good through my Bandit, but again, not enough to make me sell my TT.

Amplifier: VOX Night Train 15H / Orange Tiny Terror w/ Radial Headbone VT
www.thesweathogs.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Clinton View Post
Free your mind, and your ass will follow.....
northernguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
5F6-A

The guys at Tech21 are geniuses. Enjoy your pedal.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
StormJH1

Thanks for the report! I love the Tech21 stuff, but a lot of it is a little out of the price range for something I would use primarily for direct recording (or into a PA). I bought the 4 Joyo sound clones (which are decent), but eventually caved and got a Tech21 Leeds. It's a Hiwatt emulator, which sounds niche, but actually it has arguably the best clean headroom out of any of the Character series pedals, and can also do a British overdrive with pretty mean low end all-around, so I'm really happy with it.

One sneaky cool thing about them is that if you run them off a 9V battery, I think the power consumption is only like 5mA, so they advertise something like 100 hours of use. That can't be right, but anyway, it's impressive to have a fully portable recording preamp that you don't even need to plug into a wall.

I saw the Oxford and was tempted to get it many times. I don't use an "Orange" sound very often, and I happened to already have an EQD Monarch OD to cover that sound, so I passed. But it looks terrific. Enjoy!
G & L Legacy Ascari (2014)
Jackson DR6 (2000)
Agile AL-2000
Sterling Silo3 (2012)
Squier CV50 Strat
Squier CV60 Strat
Squier CVC Tele (w/ Nashville mod)
Squier Bullet Strat (1995)
Squier SE Strat (2009) (w/ P-90 mod)

Amps:
Vox AC10C1 (2015)
Fender Super Champ X2 (2013)
Vox Pathfinder 15 (1999)
Marshall Lead 12 (1982)
Yamaha THR10
StormJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
Guitar Rod

Played around with it tonight. I was having a tough time finding a good sound that I liked. Switching off speaker emulation helped a lot. Now I'm getting closer to a good approximation of an Orange sound.
Guitar Rod is online now   Reply With Quote