MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > MLP Community > The Backstage
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Instagram

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
geochem1st
V.I.P. Member
 
geochem1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 27,154
Thanks: 1,297
Thanked 1,188 Times in 309 Posts
DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

I'm in to high tech and AI. This is just amazing.... and if you consider the possibilities if each drone was armed...

Department of Defense Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

"In one of the most significant tests of autonomous systems under development by the Department of Defense, the Strategic Capabilities Office, partnering with Naval Air Systems Command, successfully demonstrated one of the world’s largest micro-drone swarms at China Lake, California. The test, conducted in October 2016 and documented on Sunday’s CBS News program “60 Minutes”, consisted of 103 Perdix drones launched from three F/A-18 Super Hornets. The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying, and self-healing. "

"“Due to the complex nature of combat, Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” said SCO Director William Roper. “Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team.”

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...-demonstration


The video of the test speaks for itself, watch the whole thing:
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/50462...-demo-oct-2016


Edit:

Drone used in test Fact Sheet:
https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Do...ct%20Sheet.pdf
__________________
_____________________

Quote:
"Why is it that wanting clean drinking water makes you an activist, and why proposing to destroy water with chemical warfare doesn't make a corporation a terrorist."
geochem1st is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geochem1st For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
EDS1275
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,798
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

think i saw those on vice's cyberwars. yep, skynet's only a matter of time... not joking
__________________
Gibson LP Trad, EDS1275, ES-345, Fender Am Std Tele & Strat, EBMM Steve Morse & Luke Sigs, Gretsch 5420T Electromatic, Epi LP Standard Gold Top, Epi Jumbo CE, Dove & Emperor II, Tokai Love Rock, Godin xtSA, EVH Wolfgang Standard w/Floyd Trem, Switch w/ Roland GK Midi


I Wuz Railroaded!
EDS1275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
THDNUT
Senior Member
 
THDNUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,999
Thanks: 222
Thanked 132 Times in 55 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

It's the beginning of the Borg.
__________________
A bunch of guitars and amps. Too many to list.

THDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
Maynar
Welcome, my son
 
Maynar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 6,696
Thanks: 316
Thanked 131 Times in 46 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

I for one... well you know the rest.
__________________
Welcome to the machine





Maynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Howard2k
Premium Member
 
Howard2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,436
Thanks: 84
Thanked 233 Times in 96 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

That's bloody awesome, but scary at the same time.
__________________
I take photographs like Jimmy Page and play guitar like Ansel Adams.

Overly sensitive? Offended by those who have an opinion that may differ from yours? Click here to ignore me.

I like to compare my guitar playing to Eric Clapton or Peter Green. Unfortunately, compared to both of them, it's crap.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro (09) | Gibson SG 50's Tribute (13) | Epiphone ES-339 Pro (13) | Yamaha APX500III (16)
Howard2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
geochem1st
V.I.P. Member
 
geochem1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 27,154
Thanks: 1,297
Thanked 1,188 Times in 309 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Kids from MIT invented the drones, they are 3 D printed and relatively cheap. The swarming aspect is remarkable. Still trying to wrap my head around how they achieve this:

"They* share* a*distributed* brain* for* decision‐making* and* adapt* to* each* other,* and*the*environment,*much*like*swarms*in*nature.*B ecause*every*Perdix*communicates*
and* collaborates* with* every* other* Perdix,* the* swarm* has* no* leader* and* can*
gracefully* adapt* to* changes* in* drone* numbers.*This*allows* this*team* of* small*
inexpensive*drones*to*perform*missions*once*done*b y*large*expensive*ones.*"
__________________
_____________________

Quote:
"Why is it that wanting clean drinking water makes you an activist, and why proposing to destroy water with chemical warfare doesn't make a corporation a terrorist."
geochem1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Maynar
Welcome, my son
 
Maynar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 6,696
Thanks: 316
Thanked 131 Times in 46 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Fish schools do the same, don't they?
__________________
Welcome to the machine





Maynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
THDNUT
Senior Member
 
THDNUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,999
Thanks: 222
Thanked 132 Times in 55 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Isn't this how the flying monkeys work in The Wizard of Oz?
__________________
A bunch of guitars and amps. Too many to list.

THDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
elephantrider
Senior Member
 
elephantrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: round rock texas
Posts: 1,935
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

this reminds me of that show on netflix ( black mirror ) where they
invented ai bees to help pollination due to natural bees going extinct.

then, someone took control over all of them. the population voted via
social media who to kill, and the ai bees did the dirty work.

good luck with that.
__________________
a few guitars, a few amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancpudn View Post
romance goes out the window when you're buying one another hemorrhoid cream.
elephantrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
LPSGME
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,667
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by geochem1st View Post
Kids from MIT invented the drones, they are 3 D printed and relatively cheap. The swarming aspect is remarkable. Still trying to wrap my head around how they achieve this:
The power to swarm is the power to destroy:

__________________
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic9039_1.gif

LP,
LP1,
LP2, LP3,
LPSGME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
roeg
Senior Member
 
roeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,534
Thanks: 51
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

I read it too. A.I. gets closer and closer...
__________________
Just Play.
roeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
PraXis
V.I.P. Member
 
PraXis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Planet X
Posts: 24,829
Thanks: 379
Thanked 384 Times in 145 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

How many can you take out with one shell of birdshot?
__________________
PraXis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
spitfire
Premium Member
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 21
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Can you imaging being the target and hearing hundreds of small drones buzzing, knowing all the little bastards are gunning for you. I think the pucker factor would be very high.

Sure you will get some of them, but you likely won't get all of them.

I have no idea how they would typically deploy. But I see no reason they couldn't be dropped from high altitude before powering up. You could have a thousand of those things drop silently from the sky and activate right over your head. You'd be overwhelmed before you even knew you were under attack.
__________________
Insert inane social/political commentary here.
Gratuitous list of music gear here.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
THDNUT
Senior Member
 
THDNUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,999
Thanks: 222
Thanked 132 Times in 55 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Can you imaging being the target and hearing hundreds of small drones buzzing, knowing all the little bastards are gunning for you. I think the pucker factor would be very high.

Sure you will get some of them, but you likely won't get all of them.

I have no idea how they would typically deploy. But I see no reason they couldn't be dropped from high altitude before powering up. You could have a thousand of those things drop silently from the sky and activate right over your head. You'd be overwhelmed before you even knew you were under attack.

Each one with a plastic grenade full of BBs.
__________________
A bunch of guitars and amps. Too many to list.

THDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
geochem1st
V.I.P. Member
 
geochem1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 27,154
Thanks: 1,297
Thanked 1,188 Times in 309 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynar View Post
Fish schools do the same, don't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by THDNUT View Post
Isn't this how the flying monkeys work in The Wizard of Oz?

And insects, like ants (ants achieve highly complex problem solving with very simple actions and responses), birds and others. Our creating algorithms, robotics, and products that mimic nature is a fairly new field of research known as biomimicry.

For many of the animals that swarm, like fish, it's my understanding that we don't understand the mechanisms yet on how they signal each other for complex turns and patterns, what they key off of - if there is a biologist in the house please feel free to correct me and help out as this isn't my field.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PraXis View Post
How many can you take out with one shell of birdshot?
Not enough. I imagine them being deployed by the thousands for certain operations. The article states that this is the 6th generation of the drones... generation 7 with major upgrades is being rolled out now. These drones are constructed of off the shelf commercial grade materials.
__________________
_____________________

Quote:
"Why is it that wanting clean drinking water makes you an activist, and why proposing to destroy water with chemical warfare doesn't make a corporation a terrorist."
geochem1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
EDS1275
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,798
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

no matter what it is, some manage to get shooting at it into the picture.
__________________
Gibson LP Trad, EDS1275, ES-345, Fender Am Std Tele & Strat, EBMM Steve Morse & Luke Sigs, Gretsch 5420T Electromatic, Epi LP Standard Gold Top, Epi Jumbo CE, Dove & Emperor II, Tokai Love Rock, Godin xtSA, EVH Wolfgang Standard w/Floyd Trem, Switch w/ Roland GK Midi


I Wuz Railroaded!
EDS1275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #17
Tone deaf
Senior Member
 
Tone deaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 14,587
Thanks: 110
Thanked 89 Times in 22 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by geochem1st View Post
I'm in to high tech and AI. This is just amazing.... and if you consider the possibilities if each drone was armed...

Department of Defense Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

"In one of the most significant tests of autonomous systems under development by the Department of Defense, the Strategic Capabilities Office, partnering with Naval Air Systems Command, successfully demonstrated one of the world’s largest micro-drone swarms at China Lake, California. The test, conducted in October 2016 and documented on Sunday’s CBS News program “60 Minutes”, consisted of 103 Perdix drones launched from three F/A-18 Super Hornets. The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying, and self-healing. "

"“Due to the complex nature of combat, Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” said SCO Director William Roper. “Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team.”

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...-demonstration


The video of the test speaks for itself, watch the whole thing:
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/50462...-demo-oct-2016


Edit:

Drone used in test Fact Sheet:
https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Do...ct%20Sheet.pdf
This has been in development for a long time. I worked with a group that was doing this with UAVs (about 6' wingspan) 10 years ago. They used AI, sent up the swarm, sent up some parameters and the AI planned the mission to achieve the objectives.
__________________
Bite-me

"I have always been baffled by the depravity of some and the stupidity of those who follow them." Tone Deaf

"If opinions are like a**holes, you should be able to smell me from a mile away." Tone Deaf

"There are two sides to every story. I am only interested in the one that makes me feel better." Tone Deaf

"I've got nothing but love for my fellow man, until he gives me a reason to have something else for him." Tone Deaf
Tone deaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #18
TheDevice
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 608
Thanks: 15
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

The drones themselves don't matter, while your dealing with that a f35 is going to sneak in and smoke you.
TheDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #19
geochem1st
V.I.P. Member
 
geochem1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 27,154
Thanks: 1,297
Thanked 1,188 Times in 309 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone deaf View Post
This has been in development for a long time. I worked with a group that was doing this with UAVs (about 6' wingspan) 10 years ago. They used AI, sent up the swarm, sent up some parameters and the AI planned the mission to achieve the objectives.

6 foot wingspans? That would be like a swarm of condors, blackening the sky... not too stealthy.
__________________
_____________________

Quote:
"Why is it that wanting clean drinking water makes you an activist, and why proposing to destroy water with chemical warfare doesn't make a corporation a terrorist."
geochem1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #20
electric head
Don't answer the phone
 
electric head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: somewhere in maryland
Posts: 3,982
Thanks: 273
Thanked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

here we go.....

__________________
Rock on Buzzhaze..
electric head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
Pennyman
Senior Member
 
Pennyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore (No, it's not in China...)
Posts: 5,802
Thanks: 80
Thanked 222 Times in 84 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

I didn't see anything on that video aside from a military jet releasing some small objects that could have been Lego pieces, for all we know. The second part of the video was a nice static overhead shot of some landscape with some colored graphic icons moving around overtop of it.

Could have been anything. Could have been nothing.


That all being said, *if* this real....


If this is a capability that the US military is willing to admit having, one can't help but wonder what they're still keeping secret.


Hell, for all we know, this test could be 20 years old....
__________________
I don't fully understand your particular type of crazy, but I admire your total commitment to it.
Pennyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #22
THDNUT
Senior Member
 
THDNUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,999
Thanks: 222
Thanked 132 Times in 55 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyman View Post
I didn't see anything on that video aside from a military jet releasing some small objects that could have been Lego pieces, for all we know. The second part of the video was a nice static overhead shot of some landscape with some colored graphic icons moving around overtop of it.

Could have been anything. Could have been nothing.


That all being said, *if* this real....


If this is a capability that the US military is willing to admit having, one can't help but wonder what they're still keeping secret.


Hell, for all we know, this test could be 20 years old....

Relax, the gubment wouldn't lie to us.
__________________
A bunch of guitars and amps. Too many to list.

THDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
Who
Premium Member
 
Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYUSA
Posts: 9,427
Thanks: 919
Thanked 319 Times in 106 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by THDNUT View Post
It's the beginning of the Borg.
Yup. That is all I was thinking as I read this section from the brochure:
Quote:
Perdix are not preprogrammed, synchronized individuals.

They share a distributed brain for decision‐making and adapt to each other, and the environment, much like swarms in nature.

Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can
gracefully adapt to changes in drone numbers.

Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #24
Who
Premium Member
 
Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYUSA
Posts: 9,427
Thanks: 919
Thanked 319 Times in 106 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

I guess we know where all those recalled Galaxy Note 7 batteries went!
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #25
rcole_sooner
Senior Member
 
rcole_sooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 9,929
Thanks: 221
Thanked 95 Times in 30 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

People do the same thing....


....the mob rules.



The tech is really cool, BTW!
__________________
You can never have too much beach.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
Howard2k
Premium Member
 
Howard2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,436
Thanks: 84
Thanked 233 Times in 96 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyman View Post


If this is a capability that the US military is willing to admit having, one can't help but wonder what they're still keeping secret.


Hell, for all we know, this test could be 20 years old....
Yep. The F117 was kept under wraps for 5 years or so IIRC. Pretty impressive, perhaps harder to do these days though? I'm not sure.
__________________
I take photographs like Jimmy Page and play guitar like Ansel Adams.

Overly sensitive? Offended by those who have an opinion that may differ from yours? Click here to ignore me.

I like to compare my guitar playing to Eric Clapton or Peter Green. Unfortunately, compared to both of them, it's crap.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro (09) | Gibson SG 50's Tribute (13) | Epiphone ES-339 Pro (13) | Yamaha APX500III (16)
Howard2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
KSG_Standard
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Texas Core Club®
Posts: 25,163
Thanks: 1,142
Thanked 776 Times in 264 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

A murmuration of drones...
KSG_Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #28
Malikon
in the DZ
 
Malikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50,074
Thanks: 786
Thanked 2,064 Times in 428 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Oh hey, that's not scary at all. /s

The tech is cool. In the hands of moronic monkeys? Not so cool.
__________________
The Way You Came

"I'mma wait till she runs and look over her shoulder and falls. They always be lookin over they shoulder and falling. ... Wonder if they gettin titty-punched in the face and that's why they fall over? Hehe, girls,.. they all top heavy. Poor weight distribution coupled with an increasing forward momentum is a recipe fo- oop she fell... back to work."

-inside Jason's brain-
Malikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #29
EvanPC
Senior Member
 
EvanPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,339
Thanks: 22
Thanked 112 Times in 35 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

Saw this on 60 Minutes.

The audio is terrifying.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/evanpc
EvanPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #30
Who
Premium Member
 
Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYUSA
Posts: 9,427
Thanks: 919
Thanked 319 Times in 106 Posts
Re: DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration

The "Borg" and "Skynet/Terminator" fears are thrown around a lot.

This is where it's actually going:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708414/




When the war is won by who has a better robot..... we may as well do this:

Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
 

Tags
in before the flock, political in 3..2..1..

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2017, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.