MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Recording Studio
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Line 6 Guitar Port

I'm thinking about getting one, it only costs $100 at SweetWater or MF. I'll be working some crazy OT at work that will basically kill my social life (Including jamming with friends.) 'til the end of January. It seems like a simple interface with some cool apps. Does anybody have experience with this device?
Mike's_LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Line 6 Guitar Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLP View Post
I'm thinking about getting one, it only costs $100 at SweetWater or MF. I'll be working some crazy OT at work that will basically kill my social life (Including jamming with friends.) 'til the end of January. It seems like a simple interface with some cool apps. Does anybody have experience with this device?
Not with the Guitar Port but I have a Tone Port:

Paid $49 from MF a little over a year ago. Only came with 'gear box' software which I uninstall after about a week. Been using it with Amplitube and Guitar Rig. Great basic interface, I would think that Guitar Port would be better.

Good Luck on your Sonic Quest
Unread 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

I subscribed to guitarport.com and for $35 plus shipping, I got the Tone Port and a 3 month subscription to guitarport online. I don't know the difference between the Guitar Port and Tone Port hardware. But I can point out some of the issues with the Tone Port you should look into if considering any Line 6 hardware like this.

The Tone Port MUST be used with your PC. It doesn't operate stand-alone. You also cannot directly record, via USB, with the Tone Port. Higher end products like the POD X3 do this.

I only used a Tone Port with the GearBox software and thought it worked well. I still use GearBox every day for jamming with backing tracks. It's very convenient for that since you can select and playback music files and then easily select the amp and effects you want to use.

Since you said you wanted something to sort of replace jamming with your friends, I highly recommend the guitarport.com subscription. I think for less than $40 you'd get the hardware you need and a 3 month subscription to guitarport online.

If you're not familiar with guitarport.com, check it out. They have hundreds of songs, mostly covers that are done really well. You can playback the entire mix, or versions with no guitars. They also have lots of lesson type things. It's a lot like an online magazine with tab and recordings to go along with it. Also, for most (all?) songs, when you download them into GearBox, you will get the amp/effects settings to go along with the tune. It's really pretty cool.

I don't want to over sell guitarport.com, it does have it's drawbacks. For example, you can't print out the tabs. Being a subscription service, you can only access the downloaded tabs and songs as long as your subscription is active. Though I think you can always keep the tones. One last pain in the a$$ was that when I upgraded to a POD X3, non of the songs I had downloaded would work. From what I can tell, they bind the authorization of the songs to your actual Line 6 hardware. Not a super big deal, since you can just download them again, but again, a pain.

Keep in mind, you are not limited to using these downloaded songs with GearBox. GearBox will allow you to playback any MP3 or wav file and play along with it. Of course you won't have tab or some of the other things that come with the downloads from guitarport.com, but I love jamming with it.
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I use the guitarport when I'm recording guitars (or bass whenever I mooch of my friend's) with my computer. Personally, I like it, I'm able to get some good tones with it (ok, some people are going to chew it out for not being the real deal tube stuff-- but its sound pretty close, and it still can sound really good). Also, from my experience with it, it's not a PITA to use either- be it setting up or dialing in tones, so there's another plus to it, haha.
John Ucol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I used to use a Toneport GX, and have recently upgraded to a UX2. Both really easy to use and sound great, IMO.

Love them both, top marks from me.
jimmyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Spitfire, you really like it? I looked at Sweetwater and MF and they got the Line 6 Toneport stuff, never seen any cheaper version.

Maybe you just bought it at Gramma's (west side)?..
Unread 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

TeleDog,

Sounds like your local to me in ABQ.

Actually I was mistaken, The TonePort plus 3 months subscription to guitarport online isnít $35 itís now $29.95. Jeez, I sound like a salesman.

Itís a bundle offered by guitarport online. I do think there are some different flavors of TonePorts. The one I got from guitarport.com is a TonePort DX. I have no idea how it may compare to other TonePorts. I think for $30 bucks, you canít go wrong. Even if you ultimately donít continue the subscription, you can jam along to backing tracks. Iíve been having a lot of fun jamming to the Guitar Center King of The Blues backing tracks. They are really well done.

And, yes I do like it. I think it might be perfect for the OP. He said he was looking for something to allow him to jam with by himself. Now, I have since got a POD X3 and I honestly think it sounds a bit better for the same settings. Though could be as simple as a better headphone amp. Doesnít matter though. The TonePort sounds quite good and itís more than good enough for jamming with backing tracks.

But again, while it interfaces to your PC via USB, you can NOT record via this USB interface. If you want to record, you have to run the analog out from the TonePort to an analog input on your PC.
Unread 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Not really, I just have canine intuition! lol... I can predict awful, crappy weather for you today! lol

Have you tried using a plug in with modeling amp into, say, Garageband or Logic? If you can get the signal into the computer, you should be able to record somehow.
Unread 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

TeleDog,

I've not used Garageband or Logic. But I have used some other recording programs (RiffWorks? and Reaper) and as near as I can tell, the TonePort simply doesnít present itself as an audio input source to the PC.

I would certainly agree that if the TonePort data is coming into the PC for processing, then it should only be a matter of having the appropriate driver to allow for recording.

If thatís possible (and I did look at that several months ago), then I wasnít able to find out how to do it. That was one of several reasons I got a POD X3.
Unread 12-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use it. I like it. Good for practice, learning songs, recording quietly. Works for Bass and Vocals as well. Saves money.
guysmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks guys, especially Spitfire. I'm not familiar with the TonePort, but for $30, it sounds like it does exactly what the GuitarPort does at $100. There has to be more to it, I'll take a closer look. Also the online service for the GP costs $8 a month, or so I've read.

One more question. Do you know if it works with Vista? All the specs I've seen at three sites (Line 6, MF & SweetWater) says it works with XP. Compatibility issues between the two OS's are well known. I called MF & they had no idea, the guy at SW didn't know either, but he said he'd find out & E-mail me. I can't imagine L6 not having a patch, but I'd hate to get it & be SOL. Maybe I'm just paraniod...
Unread 12-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

MKLP,

The TonePort is no doubt the low end of the scale for these things. So be sure to take a close look and compare the features between the TonePort and higher end Line6 interfaces. As to the guitarport.com subscription, you're right that it is $8 per month. But for $30, you get 3 months AND the TonePort.

I use the TonePort and GearBox on an XP machine and have no idea about Vista. I'd be very surprised if Line6 didn't support Vista. But I'm sure you could find out something on the Line6 web site. I think they have a pretty responsive tech support. At least in their forums, I see posts from Line6 techs.

Also, you do get GearBox with any of the Line6 stuff and that will get you what you want without having to subscribe or have anything to do with the guitarport.com subscription. I just wanted to make you aware of the guitarport.com bundle that I think is an excellent deal and a great way to jump into this with relatively minimal expense.
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

The line 6 software and hardware works fine on Vista and Windows 7 for me.
jimmyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Non sequitur

Thanked 1,168 Times in 316 Posts

I have GuitarPort. I bought it to be able to quickly and easily record song ideas and it's excellent for that. After you play around with all the amp models, I think you'll find that they mostly sound all the same with different EQ curves and levels of overdrive available. That is, don't expect a Fender-like model to be a similar experience to playing a Fender amp and likewise with Marshall, Vox, etc.; they all have a similar flavor to them, IMO. My favorite is the AC30 with matching 2x12 cabinet.

It probably sounds like I'm trashing GuitarPort, but I'm not. It's a great tool for what I need it for - quickly recording ideas whenever they fly into my head before I forget them. I unplug from my amp, plug into the GuitarPort interface, start up the Line 6 software and my wav recorder program and I'm in business in two minutes.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Something about the Line6 amp sims that is REALLY important is the cabinet simulation. Amp sims can go from crap to great, just by selecting a different cabinet sim. And don't forget you get to simulate the type and position of the recording mic. Sort of makes my head hurt to think about all the variables.
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
TeleDog,

I've not used Garageband or Logic. But I have used some other recording programs (RiffWorks? and Reaper) and as near as I can tell, the TonePort simply doesnít present itself as an audio input source to the PC.

*snip*
For recording I use Sony Sound forge and have had no problems interfacing with the Tone Port. When you plug in the Tone Port, it take over as your default "sound card". It requires tweaking the settings in Control Panel.

Quote:
*snip*One more question. Do you know if it works with Vista? All the specs I've seen at three sites (Line 6, MF & SweetWater) says it works with XP. Compatibility issues between the two OS's are well known. I called MF & they had no idea, the guy at SW didn't know either, but he said he'd find out & E-mail me. I can't imagine L6 not having a patch, but I'd hate to get it & be SOL. Maybe I'm just paraniod...
I'm currently using the Tone Port with my laptop, using Windows 7 64 bit version (had to download 64 bit drivers from Line 6). It works just fine. Of course, some can have problems with driver conflicts from other software installed.

Your Mileage May Vary!
Unread 12-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for a all the help guys. I have it confirmed from multiple sources that it does work with Vista.

I'm really not expecting Rectifier or Plexi stack or Bassman tones to magically come out of this thing, but reasonable, usable tones. I'll be "jamming" with some Line 6 cover band & as long as I can get some tone I can fit in or stand out with, I'll be happy.

I think I'll order the RiffTracker model. It's supposed to record very easily & if I read it correctly, I'll be able to use the tracks on programs like Garage Band (Once I bring the old Mac up-to-date.) or ProTools & the like.

I'll probably order it from SW next weekend. Rent on the 15th. & gift shopping means I can't do it any sooner. I'll be sure to tell you guys about it once I get it.
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

Get one off of eBay.
I think I paid $50 for a fine, working Guitar Port.
Just make sure the seller releases the serial number so you can register it.

That said, I don't use it much anymore.
I bought it to record my guitar and backing tracks - which it does well.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

** UPDATE**

I know it's been a while, but I've either been too busy or tired to follow up on this, in more ways than one... So I got the RiffTracker from Musician's Friend (SweetWater didn't have any in stock) in early Jan. everything seemed pretty cool with it. My favorite mod was "Citrus" so far, I was just scratching the surface of the whole thing when I started getting a staticy sound through my speakers! I jiggled all the wires, tried different cables, etc. It was coming from the GuitarPort! I called MF right away, they asked me if I wanted a refund or exchange. I asked for an exchange & was E-mailed a UPS label right away. Some of you might recall I was in a huge project at work with thirteen-hour weekdays & four hrs. every other Saturday. Then I took a vacation two weeks ago after the two-month project was finished... Basically, I forgot about the whole thing! Tonight, I find this $200 waste..... CRAP!! I go through my E-mails from MF, I see I'm WAY outside the 45-day return policy. I figure maybe I can get it fixed somehow, I'll Call MF & I'll try Line6 after that...... I'm on the phone with the CS rep Meghan, (Always liked that name.) I give her the order # and briefly explain my situation. At first she's dubious, but then she finds that since it has already been approved, I'm set to go! All I have to do is return the old one for a new one!! I have a new UPS label in my inbox, ready to be printed!
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

The reason for the static might be because you updated your mac to snow leopard. as of right now line 6 doesn't have drivers that work correctly for snow leopard (os x 10.6). i too started getting the static after updating my mac.
madcadmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Sorry to bring the old thread back, im thinking of getting one of these.
How does it differ from other USB interfaces? I have a Zoom G7.1ut that has a USB interface....

I see people on youtube playing it through their computer, looks good
aznricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcadmium View Post
The reason for the static might be because you updated your mac to snow leopard. as of right now line 6 doesn't have drivers that work correctly for snow leopard (os x 10.6). i too started getting the static after updating my mac.
Actually, I'm running it on my Compaq. My Mac is not being used right now, but that runs on Tiger, anyway. My Compaq was on Vista at the time, I just switched it to ubuntu-Linux. I haven't checked if It's compatible yet. But it's interesting that you had the same problem, I'll be looking at the Line6 site pretty soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznricey View Post
Sorry to bring the old thread back, im thinking of getting one of these.
How does it differ from other USB interfaces? I have a Zoom G7.1ut that has a USB interface....

I see people on youtube playing it through their computer, looks good
I'm not familiar with the Zoom G7. I barely scratched the surface of the GuitarPort when the static started, and I can't recall much of the features.

Last edited by Mike's_LP; 03-02-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: fixed
Unread 03-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

The Line 6 stuff is simple and easy to use with any DAW imo. However, you should know how to use a DAW (pretty much any DAW) before hand, or at least understand that you must learn a Digital Audio Workstation as well. Otherwise you will end up using your computer for a practice amp. Nothing wrong with that if you buy it with those expectations. Just don't buy it and expect Line 6 to teach to you how to record.

With that said, I use Line 6 amp farm all the time. Good solid plugin with decent amp and effect models. I mostly use it with ProTools. Before that I used their gearbox software and a toneport with several different DAWs.

True Story: I got rapped at the other day. It all happened so fast... I'm still soooo startled... Damn he was gangsta.

john john is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john john View Post
The Line 6 stuff is simple and easy to use with any DAW imo. However, you should know how to use a DAW (pretty much any DAW) before hand, or at least understand that you must learn a Digital Audio Workstation as well. Otherwise you will end up using your computer for a practice amp. Nothing wrong with that if you buy it with those expectations. Just don't buy it and expect Line 6 to teach to you how to record.

With that said, I use Line 6 amp farm all the time. Good solid plugin with decent amp and effect models. I mostly use it with ProTools. Before that I used their gearbox software and a toneport with several different DAWs.
I have a little experience with ProTools, this GuitarPort is a Fostex 4-track by comparison. It's just a little something I bought to mess around with.
Unread 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Not sure what you called knowledgable, but I used my Zoom to record with audacity and sometimes play with guitar rig a bit, but the output sounds crappy, not sure if it's due to the USB interface.

I never figured out how I can use a USB interface as a practice amp with guitar rig, but that's what im going for right now.... Is there a good program that does this?
aznricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)

The Marshall emulations are kinda mid-heavy and snarly, especially if you use pups with Alnico 2 (which is already quite mid-heavy), and the response is kinda stiff (there isn't any sag in the input like on a real amp, for example), but it's pretty sweet. Tremendously useful and flexible, and you can record with it.
Jake Generic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premium Member

Just a quick retraction. Early in this thread I had mentioned that I could not record with the TonePort DI. Not sure what the problem was at that time, but I tried again and had no trouble.

I'm sorry if I mislead anyone.
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Might I suggest that if you are not going to use gearbox or line6 software that you invest in a nicer interface for your guitar. Something with USB 2.0 or preferably firewire. Say a fireport or something along those lines.

I have had all kinds of Line6 gear in the last year and used their interfaces and I prefer my amp through and attenuator into an interface over any of the stuff they pump out.
ryanougrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #29 (permalink)

I started using a Line 6 Studio UX1 about 3 months ago. I dont use their bundled software, I get on much better with Guitar Rig, but as a USB interface I find it does the job.
[Apex] is offline   Reply With Quote