MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pickups
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

best blues pickups

Before anyone suggests search, I did. Now to the meat of it......I am really tired of Burstbucker pros in my standard. Any suggestions, anyone?

Marshall Valvestate VS 100 R, Marshall JCM 900 4102 Combo, Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C combo. Marshall Valvestate VS 102R DSL 100 class5 and JTM 45 heads. Epi les paul ultra w/490R & 498T. 2007 Gibson Les Paul standard desert burst Plekked and GForce Lord of the blues pups, Gibson Les Paul Supreme Goldtop 57 classic and 57+.
SmokestackElRopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: best blues pickups

I'd check out guitarforce. I have tried quite a few boutique style pickups and Kevins are as good as any. Fantastic winder.

He also does an amazing deal for forum members.

Products

His lord of the blues set would probably be perfect.
PINKBITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to lowmach

notice you have a lp with 57's

how would you compare them with the BB pro's?

i have bb pro's in one of my LP's and seth lovers in another. I like them both. the seth's have a very crystal clear tone where the BB's are a bit dull in comparison, but not bad sounded by any means. i installed 500k pots with the seth's so that may help with the open sound? But i think its the fact that they are not wax potted. the seth's are great blues pick ups!

oh and my next set of pups will be a set of prs dgt's. helped a buddy install a set in his custom. wholly balls!!!!! I want some now!
lowmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anything labeled PAF should be good for blues in general.
SludgeBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKBITS View Post
<snip>His lord of the blues set would probably be perfect.
I don't have a set of those, but reading the specs, they've got the right ingredients. At that price, how could one not give 'em a try?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bandols

If you enjoy the classic blues tone, I would recommend the Seymour Duncan sh-1 59 pickup. They sell them in a kit that has a really great blues tone in a les paul.

I have them in my les paul standard and really brought my epiphone to life. I also am putting in an order to George for one of his kits and plan on putting these in my build. And they have 4 conductors for splitting which is nice as not all blues tones sound good with a humbucker imo. A soft single coil sound is nice every once and a while.

Buy Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues '59 Humbucker Set | Humbucker Pickups | Musician's Friend
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I don't have a set of those, but reading the specs, they've got the right ingredients. At that price, how could one not give 'em a try?
Exactly.
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

I have a set of 57 and 57+ in my Epi Ultra, but that guitar is almost a semi hollow. It is extremely chambered. The 57z are really great in that guitar, and I was leaning towards another set for the standard. But I was wondering what a general consensus would be of some of the talented and knowledgeable folks here.

Marshall Valvestate VS 100 R, Marshall JCM 900 4102 Combo, Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C combo. Marshall Valvestate VS 102R DSL 100 class5 and JTM 45 heads. Epi les paul ultra w/490R & 498T. 2007 Gibson Les Paul standard desert burst Plekked and GForce Lord of the blues pups, Gibson Les Paul Supreme Goldtop 57 classic and 57+.
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to #1guitarman

Kevins "Lord Of the Blues" set is fantastic...really warm "woman" tone with some down and dirty bite and snarl. I sold an Epi with this set in it and I wish I had kept the pups...Oh well...
#1guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just got a set of Vintage 57s from Kevin. I am picking up the guitar tomorrow. Will report back.

He gave me a great price...
bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm kind of surprised no one has recommended changing out the stock electronics first, before shelling out money on pickups! I'd recommend an RS upgrade kit and some good PIO caps. You may be surprised how good the BB Pros can sound (or not. After all, it's completely subjective).

I've had the opportunity to compare the BB's and Guitarforce a little bit. My main LP is a 57 Historic Goldtop with RS pots and repro Bumblebee caps. It sounded really good with the original BB 1/2 combo. It sounds incredible with a set of custom-winds Kevin did for me (essentially a hotter wind of the Vintage 57's). For comparison, a friend has a LP Classic with BB pros. I rewired it for him with CTS pots and some Mojo Foil-in-Oil caps (after a detailed cap shootout). I'll tell you what -- that Classic with BB Pros can hold its own. It really comes down to which sound you prefer. His Classic might be a little more of a "Rock" sound, whereas mine is a little chunkier and would be better for Jazz or Blues.

Point is, the original Gibson electronics are nothing to write home about. I would recommend, ESPECIALLY if your Standard has any 300K pots (I can't remember if they do or not), get some good 500K pots in there first, then get some good tone caps. These steps usually give more Bang for the Buck than new pickups. THEN, if you're not pleased, you can go on the pickup quest.
freddarl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just shoot Kevin an email. Don't get caught up in the "hype" of some other winders around this place
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

to me blues is less about the pickup and more about the technique..
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Alnico IIs, Pearly Gates, those are nice. It also depends on what sort of tone you're looking for. BB King and Gary More, they both play blues, very different tones! lol
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
to me blues is less about the pickup and more about the technique..
Trust you to chime in with some actual reality to this thread

Blues is what it is. Pure emotion

Nothing wrong with a nice PU to help you to tap that tech/emo though mate
ES140 likes this.

Last edited by PINKBITS; 03-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

I back some national blues acts, here's my take. Blues is a big umbrella, with a lot of tonal possibilities. I've gigged for one Old Blues Dude who liked my Music Man Axis Super Sport plugged directly into a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel. The Axis has the DiMarzio EVH pickups. But, great clean/crunch tone. Go figure.

For my Les Pauls, I have one with the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pups - highly recommended. They're a definite change from the BB Pros if you're looking to just change them out.

I have another LP that has a BB 3 in the bridge, and a BB 2 Pro in the neck. I love this combo because it has a real sweet chime in the middle position, which to my ears is real important in traditional blues. Believe it or not, it took me awhile to arrive at this combo. I went through a lot of pups searching for the best middle position sound, just to arrive back at Gibson-branded pups. I start another project soon and this setup is looking like my #1. You might consider moving your BB 2 Pro from the bridge to the neck, and plunking a regular Alnico II BB 3 in the bridge.

The BB Pros are *real* sensitive to adjustments in height and polepiece setting. Try lowering them and raising the polepieces before you give up on them.

Finally, take the advice above and swap out the pots and caps. I like the regular RS CTS 500k pots, over the counter Orange Drops, all wired '50s style. Doing so will really open up your available tonal palette.

Hope this helps.
LawDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Decisions.....decisions. After using the 57 classics in my Epi, I really like the warmth of the Alnico II magnets. I know it was a major deal compared to the Epi pups. I can only do it a little at a time, but my take on the BBZ after 2 years is kinda poor.
Two weeks ago I had the neck plekked, a setup for .009z and I thought that might help, but when compared to the Epi, it still does not match up tone wise. It really loosened up and lowered the action, and it plays like a wet dream.
The tone I seek is a warm creamy almost low key approach. I don't use much gain in my playing so maybe this info will help.I should have said so up front.
Thanx to all for the replies and info so far.

Unread 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

The '57s definitely have that warm thing going on. There's a bunch on eBay, you may want to check them out. You may also look at the the SD Alnico II Pro, I would describe it as warm, also. Don't let the Slash association get in the way, it's a nice pup.
LawDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKBITS View Post
Trust you to chime in with some actual reality to this thread

Blues is what it is. Pure emontion

Nothing wrong with a nice PU to help you to tap that tech/emo though mate
Thanks bits!

I believe a thicker guage string, and messing with the tone knob will get someone better results than a pickup swap, especially with the neck pu.

I say this because, EMG's have a good blues tone, fitty 7 classics have a good blues tone, duncans, wolfetone, guitarforce, wcrs, etc...

and that is just humbuckers, lets not forget our p=90 friends and single coils.

That's just this guys view.

Free at last .... free at last...
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

call be biased but i think theres only one solution...

bareknuckle stormy monday

with a name like that........it hits that nail on the head....ive got one in the bridge on my 97 standard....and i love it...pure...organic....natural...warm.......lower output....its bliss through an orange rocker head

very good pickup..

mine is unpotted to be closer the that vintage blues growl......alnico mangets too.,..cant sure which ones.. theres clips on that redpersona myspace page of my band playing and that pickup in action

www.myspace.com/redpersona

shameful plug but if you wana hear what the pickup sounds like...take a look at 'mr big'

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut
moodyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Premium Member

I have not really thought about P90z I don't recall ever hearing them. And no I don,t play out at all. It takes an act of the Lord for me to play in front of a girlfriend..........I just can't get over the hump. I can speak at ease in front of a hundred people, but I can,t play almost even in front of myself.............

Unread 03-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

[QUOTE=SmokestackElRopo;1593653]
Two weeks ago I had the neck plekked, a setup for .009z and I thought that might help, but when compared to the Epi, it still does not match up tone wise. QUOTE]

I think you'll like the tone more if you go to a higher gauge of string...like 11s, 10s at the very least. It's something cheap to try with the added benefit of making your fingers stronger.

"Sex and drugs go hand in hand when you`re a rock `n` roll musician. If I were a violinist, it might be a different matter." - Slash
csparks75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokestackElRopo View Post
takes an act of the Lord for me to play in front of a girlfriend..........I just can't get over the hump. I can speak at ease in front of a hundred people, but I can,t play almost even in front of myself.............
Been there......I used to have a serious problem with playing in front of my wife and relatives. Not so anymore, I realized they didn't really care about whether I was awesome or the worst player on the planet.

"Sex and drugs go hand in hand when you`re a rock `n` roll musician. If I were a violinist, it might be a different matter." - Slash
csparks75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csparks75 View Post
<snip>I think you'll like the tone more if you go to a higher gauge of string...like 11s, 10s at the very least. It's something cheap to try with the added benefit of making your fingers stronger.
Swimming with concrete blocks tied to your ankles is great exercise too!
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Lurcher

Bareknuckle PG Blues or Irongear Blues Engine.
That said, I'll be playing blues on Irongear Hot Slags and EMG actives.

Past Les Pauls
'61 Gibson Custom Ivory
'74 Gibson Black Beauty (SC)

Current Single Cuts
H&S 12 string tri-burst
TC Ellis Series 2 Custom w/Skatterbranes.
Lurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

Howdy,

SmokestackelRopo: My only HBer equipped guitar is a Gibson ES-335. I have Seymour Duncan '59s in her and she sounds fantastic for smokey Blues tones, clean C&W/Rockabilly and anything else short of heavy metal.
I'm a Keith Richards disciple and this guitar (w/ '59s) through my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia is all I need. Good luck!

Eggman
PS: Have you considered DiMarzio's 36th anniversary PAFs? They're affordable and might also be a good fit for you LP.
Eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Tone Hunter

Guitarforce Vintage 57's, RS Guitar works Psychebilly Blues Pickups, or a set of Lowland Devil's from MLP member cryptozoo at BOLT ELECTRIC Pickups(http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/busi...ml#post1595713)..

That's my .02 on the matter... I was grooving on some Blue Jean Blues yesterday with some Vintage 57's and some Psychebilly's... Pretty muck nailed Rev. Willy G with either set into my Classic 50 212

Last edited by slowhand0461; 03-15-2010 at 07:49 PM.
slowhand0461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanx for the replies guys, just gettin back up after bein under the weather. These suggestions should be enuff to spend a week or 2 researching. Thanx again gents.

Unread 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokestackElRopo View Post
......The tone I seek is a warm creamy almost low key approach. I don't use much gain in my playing so maybe this info will help.I should have said so up front.
Thanx to all for the replies and info so far.
I'm a late comer to the thread but.....
Sounds like P90's would be the answer to what you seek. I have a P90 in my neck for that creamy low key approach and an HB in the bridge to kick it when I feel the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River
Yeah, it's shit. But it's my shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
Ut Maneat Vobiscum in Aeternum Lumen Intelligentić
geochem1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDaddy View Post
I like the regular RS CTS 500k pots, over the counter Orange Drops, all wired '50s style. Doing so will really open up your available tonal palette.
So do I! I put the regular old CTS audio taper and Orange Drop in my Joan Jett Melody Maker and couldn't be happier with the results. Much bigger, more open warmer tone and less raspy and way smoother!