MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pickups
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lifele55
Dimarzio's AT-1

Anybody have any experience with them on a Les Paul? Its an Andy Timmons model used on his signature Ibanez and I was thinking of picking one up and using it for my bridge pup paired maybe with a humbucker from hell in the neck?
lifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dimarzio's AT-1

It's a pretty new pickup so most people haven't used them yet.
EEF13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Would this have been on his signature model last year?
I played one of those for awhile, when I was waiting to pick up my amp. I really dug it. Great tone from all the pickup, but I especially liked that bridge bucker.
It was sort of like their old Virtual PAF, or the new 36th Anniversary, but it was definitely hotter. Maybe like their version of a SD Pearly Gates Plus? It was more mid-range, oriented, a nice lead tone.
It had that Texas heat to the sound, if you catch my drift.

I'm not sure if that's the same pickup, but since it's his signature, it's probably at least close.

“Sounds like the blues are composed of feeling, finesse, and fear.”
-Billy Gibbons

Last edited by gmacdonnell; 03-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.
gmacdonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

He said in a Guitar Player article last year that he was using the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge along with the Dimarzio single sized hb's. Then all of a sudden they released his signature pickup. (infer from that what you will)

So the AT-1 spec sheet says it reads 16.5k dc resistance, pretty close to the JB. But its got all the Dimarzio patents on there so it's by no means a JB-a-like. But I wouldn't be surprised if it lives within the same tonal footprint. Everyone who has owned one of Andy's signature Ibanez guitars seems to like it. I think it was a good move on their part. Maybe Ibanez had an exclusive on it for awhile and it expired. Definitely one of the Dimarzios worth checking out.

The HFH might be a little weak by comparison, maybe the Bluesbucker would be a good choice for the neck.
frankfalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Interesting... It would be neat to demo them side-by-side.

What kind of guitar are you thinking of putting them in? A Gibson LP? An Epiphone?

One of the downsides of some Dimarzio pickups is that they might not line up correctly with Gibson-style pickup covers. You have to order it covered from the factory to be sure, (it's not just a regular or Trem-spaced issue.)

I don't like the brass baseplates on most of the Dimarzio's, (except the 36th Anni.)
They tend to wear out, and need a washer soldered on, or replacement, if you do a lot of adjusting, or over the years of regular use.

They make a few really great sounding pickups, but I will say that Seymour Duncan's are much better made, with stronger materials.

-Billy Gibbons
Unread 03-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Its going into a MIJ Epiphone..

Didn't realise the Dimarzio's are so troublesome with the brassplate and stuff. Hmm.. I guess the only way to know is to try them and see how it is.
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifele55 View Post
Its going into a MIJ Epiphone..

Didn't realise the Dimarzio's are so troublesome with the brassplate and stuff. Hmm.. I guess the only way to know is to try them and see how it is.
Oh no, I didn't mean they were troublesome or unreliable. It's not like they'll die in the middle of a song.

It's just that since the baseplate is a softer metal, over time, it can wear down, in which case it needs to be replaced or repaired. Not a big deal, it's just other pickups use a strong baseplate.

If they make the pickup you want, by all means, get it and don't worry about it. As long as you don't adjust it every day for a couple years, you'll be fine.

Dimarzio has great customer service, a 5 year warranty, and 28 day trial period. They make good stuff.

I have them in one of my busiest guitars, and I love the pickups, (EJ Customs.)

-Billy Gibbons
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lol.. well thats much better to hear. If only the 5 year warranty and the 28 days trial apply to us here over the other side of the globe.

I think I might just pull the trigger on one of these come the next paycheck. And maybe a SD 59' for the neck..
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also as for the baseplate, the AT-1 photo on the website shows a silver colored baseplate. I don't know what it's made of, but it's not brass colored. I mean it could be nickel plated brass, or it could be steel, I'm just saying it's not the same as the other ones. It does have triangle ears though. The 36th Anniversary plate has a squared off baseplate like a Gibson.
frankfalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacdonnell View Post
One of the downsides of some Dimarzio pickups is that they might not line up correctly with Gibson-style pickup covers. You have to order it covered from the factory to be sure, (it's not just a regular or Trem-spaced issue.)
I saw a thread about the pole pieces not aligning up well at all but I can't find any picture reference to it. I mean, I know the pup would be a good upgrade but I certainly won't be too happy if the pole pieces stray ways away from the strings.

And if this is only the case for the covered buckers, I guess I'll be glad to just go full creme or zebras. Oh and I just checked, didn't see them in gold.. but the chrome looks hella sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
Also as for the baseplate, the AT-1 photo on the website shows a silver colored baseplate. I don't know what it's made of, but it's not brass colored. I mean it could be nickel plated brass, or it could be steel, I'm just saying it's not the same as the other ones. It does have triangle ears though. The 36th Anniversary plate has a squared off baseplate like a Gibson.
Any issues with the triangle ears and the squared ones?
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

The problem I've seen isn't so much with the alignment with the strings ,( as long as you order the proper pickup that is,) but that the polepieces are spaced slightly differently from a PAF, or most modern humbuckers. So if you want to add a cover on, it's not going to work very well, unless you special order one from Dimarzio.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the polepieces lining up with the strings.

There shouldn't be any issue with the shape of the "ears" of the pickup; it's just that PAF's had squared ears.

-Billy Gibbons
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Gmac.. you seem to know your pups well
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifele55 View Post
Thanks Gmac.. you seem to know your pups well
It's a disease, pickupophiliitis, the compulsive acquiring and testing of pickups.

-Billy Gibbons
Unread 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Any news on hoiw this tuned out? I've been thinking about this pup too.
Mr. Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

I had the AT300 previously. Mahogany bodied. I seriously did NOT like the AT1. It was too dark for my tastes, and I felt it lacked clarity. it doesn't sound much like a JB to me though...

What i later realised, was that the AT-1 was probably designed for an alder bodied guitar (his AT100) and was put into the AT300 as an afterthought. That could explain why his tones with the AT100 were so much nicer with the same pup as compared to his AT300 tones.

Then again, it could also be a case of Laney vs Mesa Boogie. Heh...

http://soundcloud.com/whitestrat/voices-of-lilith

Gear: Lilith, Skatterbrane Pickups, RS Guitarworks Electronics, Fender 65' Princeton Reverb Reissue, Ibanez TSA15 Combo, Blackstar HT5, Digitech Hardwire Pedals, Ibanez TS808HW
Goldtop75 is offline   Reply With Quote