MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pickups
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dougie
  • 1 Post By mistercoffee1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Seth Lover vs Antiquity

Does anybody has some experiences with both(!!!!) sets
I always use Antiquities but I want to know something about the TONAL differences!!
THANX brothers!!

joebonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Seth Lover vs Antiquity

I've never tried the Seth Lover's, but the Antiquities are great pickups. They sound pretty similar to Bareknuckle Mules. They are airy, hollow, woody, and earthy sounding, but still bright.

I know that SL's are supposed to be the same pickup as the Anitiquity but without the artificial aging of the magnets. So, I'd expect the SL's to have more bite and low end.
PRS Stealth 2x12 Cab w/ V30s
Shades of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I flat out LOVE the Seth Lovers, they are great pickups. They have alnico II and are not potted, they are also wound on the Leesona 102 winder which wound the original PAFs.

If you look at the PAF era in 3 ways, the early mid and late, the early PAFs had a more gritty, edgy tone to my ears, and the Seth Lover approximates this '58 sound PERFECTLY.

The mid PAF period '59 to '61 pickups sounded different. They were fuller sounding, had a more clearer bass, a little less of that gritty edginess that the early PAFs had, and they had the often-mentioned "bell" tone which the 'bursts are very well noted for. Most will agree that in this period, Gibson was using mostly alnico 4 and 5. To my ears, this PAF is what the Antiquity pickups sound like.

The late PAF period, is the short magnet era. These PAFs aren't quite as loud, they don't have the fat full bottom end of the long magnet pickups, their output on average is a little on the lesser side, as the nominal DC resistance seems to center around 7.4-7.8k. If you want to wake one of these puppies up, simply swap in a longer magnet. Works wonders.

These observations are my own generalization and not meant to be taken as scientifically proven fact as there are exceptional pickups from all those periods.
joebonsai likes this.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Very similar, but Seth Lovers are better value
HOT-BRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

I've never heard antiquities but have a set of Seth Lovers and I think they're up there with the best boutiques. In fact, I swapped them out this week for a well-regarded boutique brand, as well as a pair of Greco Dry-Z's, and I think I prefer the SL's among the lot, regardless of price. To my ears they're very warm and harmonically rich sounding pickups. I play mainly clean and with light gain, not heavy gain. I have/had them in a relatively bright LP custom and they're a great match with that guitar.

Aside from all that, I like the Seth Lover connection, the Leesona thing, etc.
BrazenPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks brothers
the thing I want to know is, my Antiquity bridge sounds unbelieveable, I've had 3 LP's with complete Antiquity Sets, I am looking for a new guitar, which has Seth Lovers stock. So due to the fact that the DC resistance is different 8.52k Ant and 8.1k the SL, sounds the SL 'cleaner'?

Unread 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
I flat out LOVE the Seth Lovers, they are great pickups. They have alnico II and are not potted, they are also wound on the Leesona 102 winder which wound the original PAFs.

If you look at the PAF era in 3 ways, the early mid and late, the early PAFs had a more gritty, edgy tone to my ears, and the Seth Lover approximates this '58 sound PERFECTLY.

The mid PAF period '59 to '61 pickups sounded different. They were fuller sounding, had a more clearer bass, a little less of that gritty edginess that the early PAFs had, and they had the often-mentioned "bell" tone which the 'bursts are very well noted for. Most will agree that in this period, Gibson was using mostly alnico 4 and 5. To my ears, this PAF is what the Antiquity pickups sound like.

The late PAF period, is the short magnet era. These PAFs aren't quite as loud, they don't have the fat full bottom end of the long magnet pickups, their output on average is a little on the lesser side, as the nominal DC resistance seems to center around 7.4-7.8k. If you want to wake one of these puppies up, simply swap in a longer magnet. Works wonders.

These observations are my own generalization and not meant to be taken as scientifically proven fact as there are exceptional pickups from all those periods.
Hi Dougie
To this great descrition, is the Seth Lover more the 58 version, cause your explanation is exact what I feel for the Antiquity
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes I think the Seth Lover sounds like the '57 '58 PAFs because the sound is a little more edgy and grittier I think from the alnico II, and the Antiquity to me sounds more like the '59 PAFs. I thought the Antiquity had degaussed or "aged" alnico V.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Yes I think the Seth Lover sounds like the '57 '58 PAFs because the sound is a little more edgy and grittier I think from the alnico II, and the Antiquity to me sounds more like the '59 PAFs. I thought the Antiquity had degaussed or "aged" alnico V.
Antiquities use degaussed alnico 2; Seth Lovers use full strength alnico 2.
Dougie likes this.
mistercoffee1 is offline   Reply With Quote