MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pickups
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: Alnico IV vs Unoriented Alnico V

hello mintcobra. I switched out the magnets in 2 sets of Throbak pups I have. They started off with A-5's. I got some un-oriented A-5's later on from Jon and tried them. I liked the Un-oriented A-5's over the regular A-5's in that they had a little less edge to them (slightly warmer one might say). But for my style of playing, I liked the pups I had put A-4's in a little better, so -- I put a set of A-4's in these to see, and to me , it was a better choice for my playing style. The A-4's just seem to make notes sing and sparkle throughout the whole range. It's hard to explain - but the highs just seemed perfect, no shrillness - just a sparlke and sizzle to them. There were more mids than with either of the A-5 choices, and the bottom end was still very articulate and warm. Like Skatterbrane said, It does depend on the guitar, and also ones playing style. I think the A-4 would not be as good a choice as the A-5 for metal or high processed playing. I play Blues and classic rock thru an old 69 Plexi, a '72 SuperBass, a "74 Superlead, a 65 Bassman, and a Peavy Classic 30
CL-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #32 (permalink)

Did the swap today. I prefer the A4s, the A2 was just too round in the neck, and the Unoriented A5 lost the great articulation and touch-sensitivity that the A4 had in the bridge.

Oh well, magnets are cheap, and I'll probably have a pickup someday that calls for one of them.

Speaking of which, I'm picking up a Duncan JB this weekend and was wondering what people thought of it with any of the magnets I have (A2, A4, unoriented A5, and ceramic).
Unread 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

I used to have a JB- I think they are fairly hot wound with 43 guage wire, but I don't remember what magnet they have in them. I gues it could be looked up on the S.D. web site easy enough. If it is ceramic, I'd start off trying an A-5 or an unoriened A-5
CL-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Okay I will say it again change the bridge mag to a A8 and you will be amazed.
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL-10 View Post
I used to have a JB- I think they are fairly hot wound with 43 guage wire, but I don't remember what magnet they have in them. I gues it could be looked up on the S.D. web site easy enough. If it is ceramic, I'd start off trying an A-5 or an unoriened A-5
They have A5 magnets. I'd try the unoriented A5 in a JB if you find it a little harsh but don't want to lose it's bite.
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

Do the A8 mod it opens up the pup I am telling ya. I suggested it to a few members here and they love it.