MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pedals
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Best "Dumble" pedal

I was checking out this guy.. Ethos Overdrive Guitar Pedal

Any thoughts, opinions on dumble sounding pedal options out there? Cause lord knows i'm not picking up an overdrive special anythime soon
smcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Best "Dumble" pedal

My favourite and the one which works best in conjunction with my rig is the Zendrive2. There are many more out there, all are good, but this one does exactly what I want and sounds how I want.
Unread 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
V!N

Interesting question ! There are so many "Marshall in a Box" pedals, but you rarely hear about a Dumble. Rob, what are other pedals beside the Zendrive˛ do the Dumble sound ?
One that I know is the "Umble" which is basically the exact circuit of the amp with the tubes replaced with JFETs:
Officially Licensed Circuits - Quality Kits For The DIYer

Click here to hear a clip

Many of the boot-eek Tube Screamer clones and mods include a switch that changes the diodes. Usually, the setting which takes the diodes completely out of the circuit is named the "Dumble" setting.
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's a guy on here who used to own an ODS, but I can't remember his name right now. I think he prefers the Ethos OD and a Zendrize coming in second... haven't tried either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.guitars View Post
Heaven forbid someone show a video of Audley Freed actually playing his Historic. Such nonsense might take away from the riveting conversations about Lifton cases and the tonal variations of glue...
weirdotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I have the Zendrive, and it is an awesome pedal. They say it's a 'Dumble in a box'...I've never heard a Dumble in person to compare though.

It is a sweet pedal.

BB
b-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is an interesting one: ZENKUDO
They look well built.
Handmade in Japan, I think he delivers international. At least its a nice site, with pretty pictures.

I have a Zendrive clone I built and, as alluded to above, having never heard a real Dumble I'm not sure what to compare it to. But I think mine sounds like a refined TS; more clarity. It would be my 'go to' pedal at the moment for a TS-type sound.

Oh, I find this nice demo!
kungpow! is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

i heat the Fuch plush pedals are good too..those DIY kits look really nice....I'm going to have to give it a try soon..

thx
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
V!N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow! View Post
I have a Zendrive clone I built and, as alluded to above, having never heard a real Dumble I'm not sure what to compare it to. But I think mine sounds like a refined TS; more clarity.
I looked it up and I can see why, it's a Tube Screamer clone minus the buffers and some nifty things for the tone control and asymmetrical clipping of Schottky diodes and mosfets. The later version has a tube in there, acting as the diodes.

Did you build an exact clone or did you add some interesting tweaks of your own ?
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Frustrating times here last night, I had written a comprehensive piece and given several clips to "try" and explain the Dumble sound, then we had a power cut and that was that!

So here goes once more.
Right, I am the first to admit that if there is one job I detest more than any other, it is trying to explain in words how something sounds.
However, in this particular case, it is made rather more simple thankfully.
If one wants to hear several examples of that "Dumble" Sound...... or perhaps I should say, one of the more recognisable Dumble Tones..... Listen to Larry Carlton, Robben Ford and to some degree, Joe Bonamassa. Carlton and Ford are high profile Dumble players, Joe B uses two Van Weilden Heads, both of which borrow very heavily from the Dumble design.

The sound that I wanted to recreate can be found in this youtube clip. Here a Joe B Fan Boy has assembled a rig that in some ways mimics one half of Joe's 4 Amp Rig. He goes through some lengthy explanations and then begins to demo each Head. When he gets to his Ceriatone HRM (Dumble Clone) it is the second part, where he brings in the reverb..... That is the sound that I have been hoping to recreate without having to buy a seperate head. Hope you enjoy this.

OK, so that is the sound I was searching for.
THEN i stumbled across this demo of the Zendrive 2

Now listen to both clips again. Then I think you'll see why I have gone for the Zendrive.

The others that do a similar Job would be, The Zendrive, The Wampler Ecstasy Drive, The Fuchs, And the fairly new, Ocean EFX Pearl Drive. Many people say that the Menatone "Howie" is another great pedal for getting this particular job done, but personally, I have yet to hear anything that gets closer with my Amp, than the Zendrive 2.

One of the things that has really stunned me since starting to research this, is how many folk out there have yet to discover just what the "Voice" knob can do. This to me, is the Ace up the Zendrive and Zendrive 2's sleeves. This is where that singing Eric Johnson violin like tone lives!

Jack (sheetsofsound) could not have been more helpful. I pinged him via youtube and had very detailed and lengthy answers to my questions very quickly. A Good Chap.
Mookakian likes this.
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

I built it nearly to spec, except couldn't find any bat41 diodes, however, did get bat42! didoes, which are pretty much the same except for higher forward voltage or somethin like that. And I did use AD712 opamp, which supposedly gives it the magic! I should have qualified my earlier statement; my TS-9 is modded to 808 Keeley specs. So its not an 'ordinary' or off-the-shelf TS. I like both pedals, but if I could only take 1 with me... I'd say the ZD.

I looked at that website again; the Zenkudo is 28,000 yen, which translates to 300 bucks! Dang! But I think they look really cool, and I doubt the kid next to you has one on his board
kungpow! is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Great vids, Rob--thanks for posting!

BB
b-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks....man that zd2 sounds good.
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've heard the Jetter Gainfactor Red is a near perfect clone of the Zendrive.
Ermghoti is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, I had heard the same thing and then tried one.

Great Pedal in its own right, but it doesn't sound "as" like to my ear. That said.... It has an awful lot to offer if you are not trying to get into one area alone.
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have around 7 or 8 different "Dumble" style pedals. Zen2, Jetter Gainstage Red, A custum one called Buddah drive I got from Jacl Zucker, The Dumbel pedal, and the Dual lotus. and a Zenkudo....I'll also say this, I just love Robben Ford and Larry, and the Dumble sound. But these sounds are really un-forgiving. I don't end up using them that much....it's hard to play Dumble, at least for me. For something average price I'd recommend the Jetter Gain Stage Red, it's a little thicker then some others....Etho's is cool, but has way to many controls on it for me...Or just a good old Zendrive. The original is what Robben uses, and the Zen2 has a tube and sounds a little juicer with a little more sag.....The Zenkudo really is a great choice....It may be the closest. It's real tight sounding, and has 3 different modes to pick from that are cool....Do your home work, or else you can spent 1000's of dollars on pedal you don't even use ! (like me) haha
Starrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thanks for the memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdotis View Post
There's a guy on here who used to own an ODS, but I can't remember his name right now. I think he prefers the Ethos OD and a Zendrize coming in second... haven't tried either though.
That's prolly me. I'm on the waiting list for the Ethos, actually. Only 7 or 8 more months to go, lol. Played on one for about an hour last week, and I was duly impressed, having made my choice based largely on audio clips, which never tell the whole story.

Zendrive would be my second choice. I think the Ethos is more flexible, and has less midrange grind than the Zendrive, but the essence of ODS tone is right there.

The Zenkudo sounded good too, but not quite as Dumblish as the Zendrive and the Ethos.

Haven't checked out that DIY circuit, but if it's anything like the Ethos, it's prolly good to go. I'd say Dumble's preamp circuits are where the "magic" lies, if anywhere, NOT in the tubes. This is my conclusion after years of owning an ODS and swapping various tubes into the preamp section, driven home by the totally authentic sounding Ethos, which uses transistors instead.

Just for the record, I never really cared for the clean channel on my ODS, it was too...not sterile, but certainly clinical...it was just too "pristine". The clean tone I'm getting from my vintage DR blows the ODS clean channel away. It's lively and swirly, everything the ODS clean wasn't. But I am missing the overdrive tone; it's very different from Marshall/Mesa overdrive. I've long thought of it as what a Fender amp would/could/should sound like if Leo had been into that sorta thing. I can actually remember the moment that thought first occurred to me when I was checking out what the Dumble could do. It was a revelation; intense overdrive without all the usual chugging and thumping. Now that I've got a clean tone I really, really like, I am looking forward to having some fun with that Ethos...

EDIT: Btw, I don't think Joe Bonamassa's tone is very dumblesque; it's very thick and has a heavy bottom end, more like a Marshall type of overdrive; nice grind and thump, but not much of the sizzle and air you can hear in Robben Ford's and Larry Carlton's tone. Don't forget David Lindley, either! He's been using Dumbles for years, and most of the tracks he did with Jackson Browne have great, easy to hear parts that just ooze Dumbly goodness.

Lefty Phillips Trio on Facebook
Lefty Phillips Trio on ReverbNation
Lefty Phillips Trio on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard de Chardin
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
mudfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah I do agree about Joe B, I merely mentioned him as a sideline compared to the Larry C and Robben F
Unread 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thanks for the memories!

I pulled out "John Henry" late last night for a listen after reading this thread. Damn, that guy can play!

If that is the sound yer goin for, the Zendrive and a TS in front of a JCM 800 on the verge of breakup would get ya farther down the road for less money than anything else. I wouldn't bother with the Ethos in that case, it's overkill, complicated, and basically replicates the entire preamp section of an ODS.

Quote:
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
Unread 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Whilst I am certain that you're quite correct, I can already duplicate the Marshall and TS sound very well with the Rig I use anyway, but the Zendrive is just the icing on the cake for what I wanted.
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thanks for the memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Whilst I am certain that you're quite correct, I can already duplicate the Marshall and TS sound very well with the Rig I use anyway, but the Zendrive is just the icing on the cake for what I wanted.
Two paths to the same pub, and sounds like you and I hearing the same thing in Joe B's tone. Great minds think alike, or simple is common?

Quote:
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

zendrive sounds great.
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

IF I ever get to Long Beach, I owe you a Beer or two my man.
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have a zendrive and to me it gets close to that robben ford thing. Can do John Mayer style stuff too. I just bought a ceriatone ots, so I'm waiting to see if it sounds better.
tigerfan22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Get a Zendrive, its a great pedal.
JohnnyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfinger View Post
That's prolly me.
Yep.

Also, I just remembered this one. It seems to be worth a shot and sounds great from the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.guitars View Post
Heaven forbid someone show a video of Audley Freed actually playing his Historic. Such nonsense might take away from the riveting conversations about Lifton cases and the tonal variations of glue...
weirdotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

A member here, Goofydawg is doing a pretty nice video series on an actual dumble, which is pretty nice, for anyone who doesn't know what the amp is or how it sounds.

Guitar Gear

Check it out! I enjoyed it.
brianugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Right now somebody is building an Ethos style pedal but it is ALL TUBE

No i don't mean Zendrive 2 single tube, I mean full ODS preamp set of TUBES.

Yeah the real deal.

It's going to have more features too.

Coming out later this year.
Special Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Perhaps somebody who registered on the forum in the last few days? Somebody with a username made from an inversion of a Dumble model? Somebody who has spent the majority of their posts adumbrating the existence of this project? [stewievoice]
Ermghoti is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermghoti View Post
Perhaps somebody who registered on the forum in the last few days? Somebody with a username made from an inversion of a Dumble model? Somebody who has spent the majority of their posts adumbrating the existence of this project? [stewievoice]
I was thinking the same.

BAN!!!
Disclaimer: All of the above statements may/may not be based on true events. Your comprehension will vary, based upon literacy, basic understanding of the English language, and most recent bowel movement (or lack thereof). No resemblance to any persons living, dead, undead or co-existing in a parallel universe is intended.

Beerdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

Robben ford runs a zendrive into fender amps when he can't bring his dumble amp...read this somewhere
taypeng is offline   Reply With Quote