MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks > Pedals
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

New Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion pedal review.

So far this pedal is pretty slamming.Lots of knobs to control and set the tone.Including a switch to go from tight to loose,which is great because I was going to buy another cab to tighten up the loose and flabby bottom end of my current metal pedal and this hardwire pedal tightened up the bottom end with a flip of the switch.I dialed in a good metallica tone from death magnetic.You can get a pretty good chunk with this pedal and at the same time go into a really sweet sounding hardcore rhythym.Delay with this pedal is really nice.Pedal comes with velcro for the bottom,glow in the dark sticker for the top and a hard plastic cover to protect your settings on stage.So far so good,time will tell.
Standard 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: New Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion pedal review.

Well I have spent a few more days with this pedal and I must say that every time I switch it on it does not dissapoint.If you have a tube amp and this pedal you are in for some serious tones.I know its digitech but somebody did their homework on this one.The trick is setting the frequency knob just right.If you know how to work tone controls,dial in a great tone,youll see what I am talking about.I am sure that some will not like it,but this entire hardwire pedal line is getting positive reviews.
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

i am very interested in these pedals. i want to check out the metal, the valve distortion and the overdrive. i have heard some good things.
FennRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to VictorLazarus

Cool, I used to have a Digitech Metal Master but it was awful, but seeing as these things are hand wired they should sound better; I've been wanting to give one a go but I can't find em' anywhere + they'r pretty pricy.

MVL.
VictorLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLazarus View Post
Cool, I used to have a Digitech Metal Master but it was awful, but seeing as these things are hand wired they should sound better; I've been wanting to give one a go but I can't find em' anywhere + they'r pretty pricy.

MVL.
They are HARD wire bypass,not hand wired.Also they are high voltage.
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have heard some descent demos of the metal pedal and the other OD pedals too thought they sounded pretty good, I do have the DL-8 Delay and that is a very nice delay from the hardwire series!
J.LaGrassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I recently switched from a line 6 pod xt live back to the traditional pedals. i saw these new hardwire pedals so i figured i'd try them out. I picked up the metal distortion and the tube overdrive and I have to say they did a great job on these, there built really well with really nice knobs and a nice big foot print, they sound good by themselves but if you put them through an eq pedal into a tube amp they sound amazing no doubt about that.
cobra2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

How does the TL2 compare to the stock MT2 or the Keeley MT2? Anyone know?
Goldtop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok... I got mine recently... Comparison from TL2 to a Keeley MT2 here.

This pedal please 2 crowds. The old school metal chugga chugga people, and the nu metal chugga chugga people. You want that old Metallica Kill Em All tone? it's here. you want that new Alterbridge Blackbird tone? it's here. It's brutal, it's big, it's bassy, and it's BRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There was a problem with the Keeley MT2. It was a killer metal pedal. Opened up by Robert Keeley with all his mods. I actually think he magically managed to open up the freq response of the pedal very well. But somehow, Like most, it's hard to get a really low growl that's heavy not in terms of loudness and grind, but in low freq rumble too. The only way you'd get that from the Keeley MT2, is to use it with a good amp, and a 4x10 cab. On a 1x10, it's still open, heavy, but compared to the TL2, it sounds wimpy. So, the amp itself was instrumental to this big open wall of sound that people wanted. (or at least, me.)

But like the MT2, the TL2 has the SAME kind of controls. Level, Bass, Highs, Mids, Mid Freq, and Gain. That's probably as close to each other as they get. Next to the TL2, the MT2 still sounded like a, injured mosquito. While the Metal Muff was nice and tight at the top, it had that bass openness problem too. I felt that it still could have been more open and loose. Audibly, to me a good metal pedal should sound through an amp like what had already been engineered on those recordings. They should be able to make a good small tube amp sound like it's full open potential (and not box it in). The MM was not as controllable as I'd have liked it to be. It was not as tweakable as the MT2. What the MM had which I loved was a boost function, which unfortunately, not even the TL2 has.

The TL2, somehow, sounds fantastic on a small amp. It sounds amazingly powerful, wide, chuggy on BOTH my vintage voiced Fender PRRI and the Laney VC15. Both have been known to some extent to suck tone from modern sounding pedals (at least, the Jensen speakers are probably the culprit), though the Fender works better in this sense than the Laney. The TL2 on these 2 amps sounds like the MT2 did on that Dual Rectifier with 4x10 cab I loved to jam with. That's some feat right there.

What you're NOT hearing from that sound clip is the low rumble I love so much on the loose setting. Imagine being surrounded by wall to wall Marshall amps. That scary low rumble that makes your spine shiver. that's what the TL2 somehow manages to provide.

The tight setting, is not really my fav. Because I don't like sharp shrill metal tones. Like what Megadeth and Metallica used to have. Or like what Trivium currently uses. I like the Evanescence and Alterbridge styled chugs. but having said that, this tight setting is definately usable, because it's heavy, tight, but does not buzz like the old MT2 (mozzy) quality. It's more like a super high gained DS1. The loose setting has more gain, more bass, more growl.

Something metal pedals lacked in the past, was the ability to deliver good tones for BOTH rhythms and leads. An oft cut thru rhythm tone meant a weak, puny, shrill lead tone. You'd usually need a booster to beef up the tone before you go solo. Not for the TL2. This is where I say it truely shines as a SINGLE pedal. A nice chugga tone, with enough highs to get that definition, but totally transforms on single notes to a warm fat tone that lets you shine as a player. The best example? Think of Michael Romeo's tone on "Seprent's Kiss" in "Paradise Lost". that's what you CAN get with this ONE pedal.

The TL2 has also one more thing the MT2 lacked. Lead tone dynamics. I'm surprised that this pedal, sounds nice even at low gain, where the MT2 used to choke. And even at high gain, the TL2 is surprisingly transparent enough to allow the string dynamics to come through on a neck pup. That's odd... and like the previous hardwire pedals, the louder you play it, the better it sounds. The tone controls seem to have a wider reach than those on the MT2.

All in all, the TL2 has shown itself to be a dynamic and versatile pedal, which gives tons of good tones. Like all complex pedals, it need a bit of tweaking to get tones you want.
Goldtop75 is offline   Reply With Quote