MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
  
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

So on a whim I spotted a craigslist ad for an old 1970's Hohner Les Paul copy. Wasn't looking for a bolt-on, but was very surprised on how nice the neck felt and I found it to be in incredibly awesome shape overall. I bought it for $250.

- pancake construction like 70's Gibsons
- block inlays and Hohner script on headstock look like mother of pearl
- hexagonal machine heads all read "Hohner INTL"
- serial # 78357 (I assume this means it is a 1978)

Modifications appear to have been installing a Nashville small post style bridge and flipping the neck pickup upside down so the pole pieces are on the bottom. I'll probably end up changing out the pickups to a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set.

Here is a link to a catalog page from 1977 showing mine model on the left and a link to a 1973 example found on the internet like mine as mine has the black speed knobs:
http://arkay.de/temp/cat_1977hohner_...ics_page03.jpg

Hohner LP HG-430LP cherry sunburst 1973

I spotted some other les paul copies with the same truss rod cover and headstock shape branded as Lotus
Lotus Silverburst Les Paul Set Neck Duncan MIJ MIK - eBay (item 150410881182 end time Feb-09-10 13:26:58 PST)

Vintage Lawsuit Les Paul Lotus Guitar - Japan Nice - eBay (item 310198323524 end time Mar-04-10 17:05:39 PST)

So what do you guys know about these? Are these the mid, or high end Hohner's? Were they made at the Matsumoku, FujiGen Gakki, or the Moridaira factory? How do they compare with other Les Paul copies?

Any info about this guitar is much appreciated
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MyLesPaul.com
   
Unread 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
redcoats1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,432
Thanks: 160
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

im not sure.im sure youve had a look at the other hohner threads.i havea 90s model goldtop with MOP hohner inlays,its pretty nice but im thinking about changing the tuners for something a little better and installing a new nut as the 3rd and 4th strings are cut pretty low.mine appearsto be a mahogany pancake body as well although i think its made in korea.good luck with your search and post up anything of interest you might find...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

The 430 line of Hohner LP copies were made in Japan from the mid 70s to the early 80s, I believe. The serial number thing is very difficult to decipher, if they indicate the year at all. I have seen numbers starting with 86 but I dont think they were still producing these guitars that late into the 80s, and I have seen serial numbers that start with 73 and I think that they would have still had the lawsuit headstock if they were actually made in 1973. (And Hohner did make some open book headstocks early on, and some set necks as well, but these seem pretty rare.)

Regarding the pickups, I'd say play the guitar for a bit to see if you dont like them. They wont be super hot, but should provide you with some decent tone.

I haven't been able to nail down the manufacturer. There are similarities to the 70s Ibanez LP copies and to Matsumoku copies. If anyone has more information on this, please, I'd love to hear it.

The Lotus LPs do have similar headstocks and truss rod covers, but they are constructed very differently. The ones I have seen are set necks with brass nuts but have some other kind of body construction. The Hohner 430s are 2 slabs or solid mahogany pancaked and the Lotus must be some kind of ply or 'semi solid' like the Univox type copies because they resonate a bit like a semi hollow bodied guitar (the Silverburst Lotus I had did, anyway.)

Later on Hohner moved production to Korea and those guitars (the 'Professional' series) were very good guitars as well.

One important thing about the 430 line is that, like the Norlin era Gibsons, they have super low frets. And it doens't take all that much wear to make them unplayable to many players (difficult to bend strings, intonation issues.) But these guitars are still a great example of Japanese quality craftsmanship. They were made with decent sounding pickups, decent tuners and can be real workhorses.
cn679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
redcoats1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,432
Thanks: 160
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

would like to have more info on the MIK models,my hohner L 90 is a set neck LP style guitar with p-90s.it appears to be mahogany pancake construction with MOP inlays.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

I owned a Hohner LP Professional L59 when I got back into playing. Didn't know much about electronics in guitars at the time so turned around and traded it for a MIM Strat. That Hohner now that I look back on it was one of the finest copy LP's I think I have ever seen. Set neck, two piece body, one piece neck, all mahgonay everything save for the fret board and that was a really thick piece of rosewood. Mother of pearl inlays, beautiful tuxedo binding, and it was cherry red. It was very heavy and now that I know what a good axe is I would never let it go if I could find it again! thanks
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

I just traded for a 430lp and want to put a different bridge on it. I don't have a way to measure it accurately, so does anyone know what the stud spacing for the bridge and tailpiece are? Are they standard Les Paul?

Does anyone have a bridge recommendation? Any to avoid? I was thinking about the Wilkinson adjustable roller bridge. Wilkinson Brass Roller Bridge- Locking Studs Chrome

Thanks for any advice.

-Andy
afenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

afenner, my advice would be to keep the original bridge. The spacings will not be the standard Gibson sizes and it wont be an exact fit for some, actually most, other replacement parts either.

Do you have a specific reason for wanting to change the bridge? You have the nylon saddles, right? If that is the reason, I'd look into replacement saddles, but finding the right sizes for those might be difficult, too.
cn679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Yup, I have the nylon saddles, and that was really the only reason. But get this...

I went to my local Music-Go-Round to look through their box of junk to see if they had any saddles that would fit. They didn't, but when I went to the display of used parts, I saw a TOM bridge with posts and studs. It was chrome, but worth looking at. Turns out it was a Japanese make Les Paul bridge. It had the exact same measurements as the on I had brought with me. And for only $9.99!

There was a matching chrome stop bar in the junk box that looked brand new, and they gave me that for 5 bucks.

So $14.99 and I lucked into a new bridge and stop bar that now match my chrome tuners. I am planning on keeping all the original stuff I have, but using this for the time being.

On another note, can the pickup covers be removed? What is under them?

Thanks.

-Andy
afenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by afenner View Post
Yup, I have the nylon saddles, and that was really the only reason. But get this...

I went to my local Music-Go-Round to look through their box of junk to see if they had any saddles that would fit. They didn't, but when I went to the display of used parts, I saw a TOM bridge with posts and studs. It was chrome, but worth looking at. Turns out it was a Japanese make Les Paul bridge. It had the exact same measurements as the on I had brought with me. And for only $9.99!

There was a matching chrome stop bar in the junk box that looked brand new, and they gave me that for 5 bucks.

So $14.99 and I lucked into a new bridge and stop bar that now match my chrome tuners. I am planning on keeping all the original stuff I have, but using this for the time being.

On another note, can the pickup covers be removed? What is under them?

Thanks.

-Andy
Glad you got the right bridge. I read your post the the other day and was gonna measure for you. Probably wouldn't have been much help since the prior owner did a conversion to a Nashville style bridge instead of the TOM.

You could look into whether Graph-Tech makes some graphite saddles that will fit your new bridge. (if you can narrow down the make of the bridge that is) I just bought another Nashville bridge with them already installed off ebay.

I'd like to know about the pickup covers to since I have yet to gut the electronics to put in some Seymours. Would like to reuse those covers.
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
Glad you got the right bridge. I read your post the the other day and was gonna measure for you. Probably wouldn't have been much help since the prior owner did a conversion to a Nashville style bridge instead of the TOM.

You could look into whether Graph-Tech makes some graphite saddles that will fit your new bridge. (if you can narrow down the make of the bridge that is) I just bought another Nashville bridge with them already installed off ebay.

I'd like to know about the pickup covers to since I have yet to gut the electronics to put in some Seymours. Would like to reuse those covers.
Thanks. I did manage to pull the neck pickup out yesterday to see if I could take the cover off. The cover is the entire outer casing of the pickup and glued together. Kind of a bummer.

I like the look of the worn gold hardware, so I ended up swapping the saddles out of the new bridge into the original gold one. Something about the vintage hardware...

However, the nylon nut sucks too... I'm looking in to an Earvana replacement.

-Andy
afenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by afenner View Post
Thanks. I did manage to pull the neck pickup out yesterday to see if I could take the cover off. The cover is the entire outer casing of the pickup and glued together. Kind of a bummer.

I like the look of the worn gold hardware, so I ended up swapping the saddles out of the new bridge into the original gold one. Something about the vintage hardware...

However, the nylon nut sucks too... I'm looking in to an Earvana replacement.

-Andy
That's dissapointing about the covers. I didn't want to buy brand new covers as the worn gold looks way better. Thanks for the heads up.
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
robbiewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Just got one myself. Traded an HM Strat for it. It is a 1977 as far as I can tell. A Black Beauty. The body is nearly perfect and the hardware has aged nicely. I only wish it still had the original aged gold tuners. Neck is great - slim and fast. Fretboard looks like it has never been played.

I'm a Fan
robbiewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
robbiewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiewest View Post
Just got one myself. Traded an HM Strat for it. It is a 1977 as far as I can tell. A Black Beauty. The body is nearly perfect and the hardware has aged nicely. I only wish it still had the original aged gold tuners. Neck is great - slim and fast. Fretboard looks like it has never been played.

I'm a Fan http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/memb...-img-0228.html
I installed Tonerider pickups which are of the same specs as the Gibson 57 classics and new caps (paper and oil) and WOW...what a difference. This baby sings, barks, growls and bites. I have an Epi Elite with 57 Classic/Classic+ combination installed and kept switching back and forth between the two with identical settings. It's hard to say which one I like better, but the Elite tone was slightly more atriculate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hohner (3).jpg (91.7 KB, 26 views)
__________________

[2008 Gibson Robot Ltd Meen Green Metalic
2002 Epi Elite HoneyBurst
1996 Epi LP Custom Alpine White
2008 ESP/LTD EC-1000 STBC
2004 ESP/LTD Viper 400 STBC
1977 Hohner 430LP Black Beauty
2 Strats/1 Tele/1 Ibanez Joe Satriani
Talyor 410 KOA
2006 Mesa Boogie MK 1 RI
2007 Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 Bogner
Digi. RP500, Dunlop Crybaby, TS808, Hardwire Distortion
robbiewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Another possible sister brand to the Hohner HG-430LP-S? Check that headstock and truss rod cover out.

Vintage Morris Electric Guitar Single Cutaway - eBay (item 280534314571 end time Jul-20-10 13:21:30 PDT)
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: tampa
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
I owned a Hohner LP Professional L59 when I got back into playing. Didn't know much about electronics in guitars at the time so turned around and traded it for a MIM Strat. That Hohner now that I look back on it was one of the finest copy LP's I think I have ever seen. Set neck, two piece body, one piece neck, all mahgonay everything save for the fret board and that was a really thick piece of rosewood. Mother of pearl inlays, beautiful tuxedo binding, and it was cherry red. It was very heavy and now that I know what a good axe is I would never let it go if I could find it again! thanks
Hey Guys , I have 6 Hohners for sale, 2 lp59 professionals, tobacco and a cherry, both are perfect, a l75 professional chestnut very nice rate it an 8. And last of the lp is my L90professional goldtop p90's PERFECT. 2 stprofessional strats, both are cherry one is an 8 the other maybe a 6( need tlc) Ive collected for a long time and only bought the best of the best. No disappointments email me at thewallstreetguy@hotmail.com 813 508-2022 tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guitars 002.jpg (89.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg guitars 010.jpg (87.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg guitars 019.jpg (89.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg guitars 004.jpg (83.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg guitars 017.jpg (81.4 KB, 21 views)
thewallstreetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: tampa
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
So on a whim I spotted a craigslist ad for an old 1970's Hohner Les Paul copy. Wasn't looking for a bolt-on, but was very surprised on how nice the neck felt and I found it to be in incredibly awesome shape overall. I bought it for $250.

- pancake construction like 70's Gibsons
- block inlays and Hohner script on headstock look like mother of pearl
- hexagonal machine heads all read "Hohner INTL"
- serial # 78357 (I assume this means it is a 1978)

Modifications appear to have been installing a Nashville small post style bridge and flipping the neck pickup upside down so the pole pieces are on the bottom. I'll probably end up changing out the pickups to a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set.

Here is a link to a catalog page from 1977 showing mine model on the left and a link to a 1973 example found on the internet like mine as mine has the black speed knobs:
http://arkay.de/temp/cat_1977hohner_...ics_page03.jpg

Hohner LP HG-430LP cherry sunburst 1973

I spotted some other les paul copies with the same truss rod cover and headstock shape branded as Lotus
Lotus Silverburst Les Paul Set Neck Duncan MIJ MIK - eBay (item 150410881182 end time Feb-09-10 13:26:58 PST)

Vintage Lawsuit Les Paul Lotus Guitar - Japan Nice - eBay (item 310198323524 end time Mar-04-10 17:05:39 PST)

So what do you guys know about these? Are these the mid, or high end Hohner's? Were they made at the Matsumoku, FujiGen Gakki, or the Moridaira factory? How do they compare with other Les Paul copies?

Any info about this guitar is much appreciated


Hey I have 4 hohner for sale 2-L59 1-L75 1-L90 goldtop all are like brand new from my collection for sale 813 508-2022 Tom
thewallstreetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: tampa
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Hey, They are nice. I have a L59 PROFESSIONAL (tOBACCO), l 59 PROFESSIONAL CHERRY BURST, AND a L90 PROFESSIONAL GOLDTOP('56 COPY)

SWEET............They play great and I play a '60 Reissue LP and these are close!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hohners gibson 010.jpg (90.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg hohners gibson 008.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg hohners gibson 019.jpg (94.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg hohners gibson 005.jpg (84.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hohners gibson 012.jpg (93.7 KB, 16 views)
thewallstreetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hohner HG-430LP-S les paul, just bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallstreetguy View Post
Hey, They are nice. I have a L59 PROFESSIONAL (tOBACCO), l 59 PROFESSIONAL CHERRY BURST, AND a L90 PROFESSIONAL GOLDTOP('56 COPY)

SWEET............They play great and I play a '60 Reissue LP and these are close!
I LOVE that tobacco finish - very nice m8.
Cheers, Mark.
Rakoribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2014, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.