MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #31 (permalink)

Re: Orville's for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UITA View Post
Is it me or is there a real lack of Orvilles for sale on the bay at the moment? Always like to have a window shop now and then but nothing doing it for me at the moment. Could it be that people are deciding to keep onto what they've got.

There is a lack because you have bought them all

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmameltoe View Post
Hey guys i created an account just for this wonderful thread. I just moved to Yokota AFB in the outskirts of Tokyo. Ive been looking for some locally made guitars to test the wonderful stereotype about all asain made guitars are either fakes, or crap. So far I am pleased to announce that this is simply not true as i have stumbled upon a store right outside of the bases gate loaded with dozens of Orvilles. I've been in that store several times and am getting to know the owner pretty well and today she was kind enough to give me a brief lesson on previous Gibson/Japanese relations. She explained to me that the Orvilles were not copies at all but merely another branch of Gibson that is no longer around. After hearing that I went home and started researching about the company, reviews of their guitars, and looking to see if there is a market for them in the states. As you guys have stated there does seem to be a shortage of Orvilles on Ebay, however i have seen several youtube videos where people are asking for info on obtaining an Orville. Now after typing a blogs worth of information, for which i apologize, I am ready to ask my question. Is there a market for Orville guitars in the states? Anyone know if i would be able to turn a profit buying and reselling to Americans? And does anyone know if there are any legal issues that may arise from buying and reselling? Thanks for your time and responses in advance.

there's no stereotype of ALL asian guitars being fakes and crap. if a guitar is made in asia and says "gibson" on the headstock it is a fake, and probably crap. there are some truly amazing guitars made in japan. japan has a reputation for producing very good guitars.
tokai, orville, edwards, navigator, greco, burny, etc. all great guitars. there is a market for all of these in the united states (especially if they have the open book headstock).
TOMMYTHUNDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there a market for Orville guitars in the states? Anyone know if i would be able to turn a profit buying and reselling to Americans?

OY!!!! Let's not forget the other countries of the world. You buy as many as you can and send them to me here in the UK, I'll give you a handsome finders fee....I am of course being serious.
[12:15] Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice.
UITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey guys i created an account just for this wonderful thread. I just moved to Yokota AFB in the outskirts of Tokyo. Ive been looking for some locally made guitars to test the wonderful stereotype about all asain made guitars are either fakes, or crap. So far I am pleased to announce that this is simply not true as i have stumbled upon a store right outside of the bases gate loaded with dozens of Orvilles. I've been in that store several times and am getting to know the owner pretty well and today she was kind enough to give me a brief lesson on previous Gibson/Japanese relations. She explained to me that the Orvilles were not copies at all but merely another branch of Gibson that is no longer around. After hearing that I went home and started researching about the company, reviews of their guitars, and looking to see if there is a market for them in the states. As you guys have stated there does seem to be a shortage of Orvilles on Ebay, however i have seen several youtube videos where people are asking for info on obtaining an Orville. Now after typing a blogs worth of information, for which i apologize, I am ready to ask my question. Is there a market for Orville guitars in the states? Anyone know if i would be able to turn a profit buying and reselling to Americans? And does anyone know if there are any legal issues that may arise from buying and reselling? Thanks for your time and responses in advance.
have not a clue but i would pay to have you get one and ship it for me
Bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

HI, I am at Yokota too and I know the shop that you are talking about. Have you been to the other one up the street? Stay on 16 and head for the supply gate and you can't miss it. I just got a black 3 pickup Greco custom EGF800 for around $375 from him. Amazing guitar. I've thought about doing what you are talking about because there are so many nice guitars here. The Japanese like new stuff and appearance means a lot to them so you can get old stuff really cheap sometimes.

Have you been to the Hard Offs? I bought a 95 Orville by Gibson that had a cracked input jack plate and a malfunctioning tone pot for $200! I put RS pots in it and had the frets dressed and it is hands down the best guitar that I have ever played. I sold my 91 PRS after I got that OBG. There is another shop called Cat Rock if you head out towards the Seiyu where I bought a 1973 Marshall 4x12 with the original 55hz greenbacks in. I got it for $400 because it's beat to hell. In fact he was using it as a door stop for his shop. It sounds amazing. You are living in a great place for a guitarist. Don't even get me started on all the shops in Ochanomizu..........
tonybony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybony View Post
Have you been to the Hard Offs? I bought a 95 Orville by Gibson that had a cracked input jack plate and a malfunctioning tone pot for $200! I put RS pots in it and had the frets dressed and it is hands down the best guitar that I have ever played. I sold my 91 PRS after I got that OBG. There is another shop called Cat Rock if you head out towards the Seiyu where I bought a 1973 Marshall 4x12 with the original 55hz greenbacks in. I got it for $400 because it's beat to hell. In fact he was using it as a door stop for his shop. It sounds amazing. You are living in a great place for a guitarist. Don't even get me started on all the shops in Ochanomizu..........
SHUT UP!!!! SHUT UP!!!!! NOT LISTENING, DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!!

But seriously I need to visit my sister in Australia soon, may well stop off in Japan for a shopping trip
[12:15] Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice.
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #37 (permalink)

There's a few Americans in Japan selling Japanese guitars on the web, mainly on Ebay. I can't recall his name but, one I bought from had to be military because, he shipped from an APO address and shipped USPS priority mail from Japan.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Hey guys....
Oh, really?
Welcome! (for the time being.)
dennistruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #39 (permalink)

I was at Ochanomizu a few months back looking for a good deal on japanese LPs .. spent about an hour or so walking down the street and browsing thru the stores but i didnt see many orville, greco or tokai or burnys though did see a couple navigators and van zandt strats, those look amazing.
taypeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

Ochanomizu seems to have mostly new guitars. It seems to me that the best places to find good used stuff here are the second hand shops. There are two nearby me that have four or five Orvilles between the two of them. The Orville by Gibson's seem to be quite a bit rarer. I have only seen four so far. I found a really nice beat up gold top for around $600 but like the idiot that I am, didn't buy it. I am constantly looking for these.
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #41 (permalink)

I did try out an Epi LP Jr at one shop was going for $300 usd which imo was a pretty good price, but didnt like the feel on the neck. would agree, most of the shops were selling new stuff. wheres this yokota place? sounds like a dream come true for orville hunters!
taypeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

I think UITA'a house would be a dream for Orville hunters too!
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #43 (permalink)

If anybody honestly does this let me know and I am in

UITA if you do stop in Japan will you ship me one if I get you the cash? I'll even take the ones you don't want
SGmanElitist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taypeng View Post
I was at Ochanomizu a few months back looking for a good deal on japanese LPs .. spent about an hour or so walking down the street and browsing thru the stores but i didnt see many orville, greco or tokai or burnys though did see a couple navigators and van zandt strats, those look amazing.
I think this translates to whatever country you're in. I just visited Denmark street in London and was very disappointed, everything was so overpriced (no MIJs in any case). Ebay and other private sellers (this forum to) has made all aware of the value of MIJ. I'm sure there's a version of the freeads (Craigs list) out there where there are still bargains to be had.
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #45 (permalink)

Thanks for everyones input, I'm going to look into buying a couple of these guitars soon and I'll keep everyone posted via this thread. One more question though and forgive me for my ignorance but, whats a MIJ?
shmameltoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #46 (permalink)

Too easy to just tell you but have a go, think about origins and I'm sure you'll get it.
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

Actually Uita I keep on waiting for the next time you thin out your collection on ebay...Having said that I'm skint at the moment. I'm going through my meager collection and selling the guitars I no longer use or ones that are cheap and replacing them with keepers...
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

To be honest I'm hoping that I never have to use Ebay again, robbers, but.....guess I'll have to at some point.
Unread 08-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #49 (permalink)

hey guys well i managed to talk my wife into letting me buy an Orville over here. If anyone is interested in buying it off of me send me a message. I posted a thread in the member classifieds section here is the link to it.

Black Orville Les Paul
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #50 (permalink)

Orvilles?

Never heard of 'em.....
innadaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innadaze View Post
You sir, have way too many guitars. I envy you.
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #52 (permalink)

uita innadaze Im catching up 6 orvilles and counting
barburny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #53 (permalink)

Who is this UITA, and why so many with the Orville's
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #54 (permalink)

Don't you go worrying yourself about either.
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #55 (permalink)
Premium Member

It's funny to me now how I got into Orville's.I play all my guitars,try not to scratch them but I am not a collector that just puts them out of reach.Got some vintage US stuff,but started getting more "player grade"US instruments because they too go up in value....anyway,I wanted a '76 US T-Bird and it was modded.Made a deal with an internet dealer to get it.Then his not so "silent" partner came in just as I was sending the money and wanted to change the whole deal up after the fact....(was not offering me a kiss or vaseline for what he expected)so after a 3 day pi**ing match between us,I said SCR*W YOU !! Kept my money,and bought (other than a photo) "sight unseen" a reverse Greco T-Bird kinda on the rebound.(I was still pi**ed and I was gonna "show them".)anyway,when I got it....I REALLY liked it...Started researching Greco and re-discovered vintage Japanese guitars(did recall Ibanez and Tokai back in the day)Well,then later I got on ebay bidding on a Greco 335,did not win it,but came across an Orville 335 that I did win.I really liked it,next up I got an OBG tv yellow jr.( a wonderful guitar)next up was an Orville Les Paul Standard.Still no disappointments there.And I got a non-reverse Greco T-Bird.....My Orville's are just as good as my nicer Gibsons and actually better than alot of Gibsons.I like 'em.Wish I had more.
ezra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UITA View Post
Don't you go worrying yourself about either.
Not worried, just trying to have a bit o fun.

I'm trying to learn more about Edwards, Burny, Tokai & Orville. Looking at an Orville Standard thats available. This forum has a lot of good info/links. Although sound/quality is subjective and a matter of taste - it's hard to make comparisons without actually seeing/playing the instruments. So I'm on the lookout for those that have experiece with these 4 brands.