MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree906Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Orville and Orville By Gibson

Ok for some of you who maybe new to these very good licensed Gibson replicas made in Japan , here are some basic notes about both
Orville, Most made by Fuji Gen Gakko, who also produced the original Ibanez Lawsuit guitars as well as other lawsuit guitars hiding under other names such as Crestwood, rare and very limited Tokai's ,ect,
General Body correct historic specs, Long Tenon necks, quarter inch maple caps Holly vaneer headstocks, but poly finished , many with a variety of photo flame tops they are not fret edged bound like Gibsons
Orville By Gibson was a more correct higher end version with Nitro finish, ALL US Made Gibson Hardware , Classic 57 pickups and the flame tops are either vaneered real wood or whole quarter inch flame maple and these definitly are commanding much higher prices closing in on Gibson VOS R8 range
I am a sheepdog, Its not just a vocation, its my nature Live with it, Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way . Tis better to have the sword and live by it, than to reach in need and find the scabboard empty .Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner- Ben Franklin Don't be talkin' the talk if you can't walk the walk
lp59aholicDon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lp59aholicDon For This Useful Post:
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Orville and Orville By Gibson

...and Orvilles without serials numbers were manufactured in Korea and are of lower quality.
PoorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
...and Orvilles without serials numbers were manufactured in Korea and are of lower quality.
Yes , well on another thread I debated that with a thread member, he claims this " Online Expert" told him there were no such things, Japanese dealers in Japan have told me there were, there are also some Terada Orvilles, which also do not have seriels and are of a lower quality , Lessons if its not an ink stamped serial, if there was no long neck tenon, Holly vaneer on Stds , its not a Fuji who in my opinion made the best Les Paul replicas of any Japanese company, before and after their Gibson license
I am a sheepdog, Its not just a vocation, its my nature Live with it, Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way . Tis better to have the sword and live by it, than to reach in need and find the scabboard empty .Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner- Ben Franklin Don't be talkin' the talk if you can't walk the walk
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've not had the pleasure of playing an OBG myself. But they certainly look nice.

Good info. Thanks.
PoorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
I've not had the pleasure of playing an OBG myself. But they certainly look nice.

Good info. Thanks.
Poor The only OBG I have been able to play is that first one I saw, but I have owned a total of four Orvilles,1st bought locally a 335 Dotneck in tobacco sunburst, then a special run Page wired LP with factory Grovers and Seymour Duncans a redsunburst plaintop Std , and Miss Roses, I still have , the special run LP Page wired came from a dealer in Japan

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Excellent info, thanks!
Unread 11-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinlespaul View Post
Excellent info, thanks!
Welcome Rockin, For vintage feel and build on a budget , or something better and more original spec to older Gibsons for less than A " G " Standard these definitly are worth looking into
New Info and possible explaintion of K serial number Orvilles is that Tereda, who had the contracts had some built in a place in Japan called Kurame (sic) Either way Any Tereda and or K serial or No Serial Les Pauls are of a lesser quality than the Orvilles and Orville By Gibson produced by Fuji Gen
Gakko in Japanese is sort of Company, corporation , maker , or origin of
Unread 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was looking at Orville's not too long ago...

I probably will get one in the future, and it definetely needs to have nitro and a long tenon so this is good info to know.
Unread 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinlespaul View Post
I was looking at Orville's not too long ago...

I probably will get one in the future, and it definetely needs to have nitro and a long tenon so this is good info to know.
Well you could go and get a Orville and go from Poly to Nitro finish, OBG's are definitly harder to come by and command more premium prices usually, also for the long tenon neck historic's dont overlook Mid to late 80s Greco's they came from the same factory and the tops on Greco's are not photo flame, they are either full flame or laminated real maple flame
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some OBG and regular Orville pics for you...

Orville Les Paul Goldtop serial number and guitar pics:

Pics from the ebay auction in early 2006. Paid $730 including shipping for the guitar.

Guitar is currently outfitted with Wolfetone Dr. V pickups and a Dr. V control kit (500k special taper "early spec" CTS pots, and .015 neck/.022 bridge caps), Grover Rotomatics, new bone nut, 50's wiring, Switchcraft jack & toggle switch, lightweight tailpiece.

Orville "by Gibson" Explorer serial number and pics:

Entire guitar, warning, large pic at this link:
http://southbayampworks.com/orvillee...leexplorer.jpg

Ebay auction pic:

Guitar is currently outfitted with a WCR Darkburst neck with gold slugs/screws, and a WCR Goodwood bridge pickup with gold slugs/screws, CTS 500k pots, and .033 Black Beauty cap), stock tuners, stock nut, 50's wiring, Switchcraft jack & toggle switch, Pickguard heaven custom 3 ply b/w/b pickguard, original lightweight tailpiece from Orville.

Originally this guitar had some cheap pots/caps, wiring, jack/toggle, and some of the Gibson pickups with the circuit board on the bottom (WTF? I don't know what they were, but they sucked!). I paid a whopping $510 including shipping for this guitar.

Both guitars came from Japan/Tokyo area. The Les Paul needed way more work than the Explorer, but is a fantastic sounding and playing guitar now. In fact, this is the guitar I take out most of the time. The neck profile is identical to my 68 LP Custom, which I played for 9 years on tour, and has about 7 trillion notes played on it.

I had an Orville SG 61/62 for awhile, but the neck wasn't to my liking so I sold it. These guitars have really shot up in value over the last couple of years. I blame Joe Perry. I first saw one of these in his hands in December, 97 at the Pond in Anaheim, and wanted one ever since.

Glad I got mine when they were relatively cheap.

Southbay Ampworks/Scumback Speakers

http://www.southbayampworks.com
Southbay Ampworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

South Bay Nice pic;s and axes, Both I can tell by construction and serial are Fuji 's I Believe but not positive that the Explorer is an 88, and the LP is definitly a 97, The picups with the circut board in back were Gibson 57 Classic's I dont know why Gibson or the Fuji folks added the board , but sounds as if you got better guts in em now
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nothing like plenty of different stories about these guitars, I tell you! LOL

A google search turned up these links.

Orville and Orville by Gibson Guitar Brand History

Find Out About Japanese Orville and Orville by Gibson Guitars at OrangeGuitar.com

Orville by Gibson: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Orville by Gibson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guitar - General: question followups

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am currently going to look at two orvilles this week,he is stating they are 59 reissues,from one pic i seen no fret edge binding,and i would think the orville by gibsons made the reissues and not the orville if i understand what i read in some of the links above..I would certianly expect fret edge binding on a reissue,he wants a grand each canadian.I think thats a little high isn't it for orvilles.??with our dollar at 1.12 and no signs of dropping right away.certainly seems high.1000-1200 for both??

here is the ad
2 Orville Gibson Les Pauls. Made in Japan under contract from Gibson USA. These are late 80's. No longer available. Made by Fujigen plant which currently makes Gretsch. These are top quality '59 re-issues in excellent condition with new hardshell cases. One is vintage cherry - other is more rare Jimmy Page style Honeyburst. Price is for 1 guitar - your choice. Pickguards not included but easily purchased.
end ad
pic with ad.

what do yah think???Mister
late 80s??reissue??mmm not from what I am reading.he gave me partial serial for both but
seems more like 96 and 98 models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0f2d_20.JPG (48.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 0f8d_20.JPG (49.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 0f58_20.JPG (34.8 KB, 260 views)
MISTER1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

If you're hoping for "nibs" on an Orville, the binding that is supposed to cover the fret end tangs, I've never seen it on the three Orville's I've owned.

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

i guess what i am saying is the orville by gibson models got the edge binding,versus orvilles did not,that being said how can guitar in ad be reissues then,orville didnt make reissues did they??late 80s,not.Mister

The "Orville by Gibson" reissue models used ink stamped YMMPPP (Y=year, MM=month,PPP=production number) and YPPPP (Y=year, PPPP=production number) serial number formats and had the reissue year in the model number (LPC-57B=1957) and were made from 1992-1995 with some models having limited production runs. The YPPPP "Orville by Gibson" reissue serial number format is the same as the Gibson USA reissue serial number format.
MISTER1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTER1K View Post
i guess what i am saying is the orville by gibson models got the edge binding,versus orvilles did not,that being said how can guitar in ad be reissues then,orville didnt make reissues did they??late 80s,not.Mister

The "Orville by Gibson" reissue models used ink stamped YMMPPP (Y=year, MM=month,PPP=production number) and YPPPP (Y=year, PPPP=production number) serial number formats and had the reissue year in the model number (LPC-57B=1957) and were made from 1992-1995 with some models having limited production runs. The YPPPP "Orville by Gibson" reissue serial number format is the same as the Gibson USA reissue serial number format.
Sorry, but you either got binding based on the model they copied or not. My 61 SG Orville had binding on the neck. The Goldtop Orville I still have has binding on the neck. My Orville (by Gibson) Explorer has no binding on the neck, so I don't think there's any hard, set and fast rule about binding on the neck.

As for the serial # reference to Gibson USA production #'s...I'm pretty sure that isn't a direct correlation, or accurate for the Japanese models.

Last edited by Southbay Ampworks; 11-13-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Unread 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbay Ampworks View Post
Sorry, but you either got binding based on the model they copied or not. My 61 SG Orville had binding on the neck. The Goldtop Orville I still have has binding on the neck. My Orville (by Gibson) Explorer has no binding on the neck, so I don't think there's any hard, set and fast rule about binding on the neck.

As for the serial # reference to Gibson USA production #'s...
Welp I have never seen fret edge binding on any Orville or Orville by Gibson, 1000 Canadian for plain tops, a tad much I think Last year I got a flame top though photo flame in perfect mint condition for under 1000 US,
Orville by Gibson and Orville ( Fuji) differ only in finishs and pickups The Orville By Gibson have Classic57s, the Orville ( Fuji Gen) have Gotoh or other pickups in them, not bad, but they are not potted either Orville By Gibson also have real flame where they have flame and nitro finish's
IF any Orville or Orville By Gibson has fret edge binding, it was done by somebody other than the factory
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

well ... okay gentleman ... please check out these great and very informative pages (expert guy what comes to MIJ) > Page 1 history

then ... my "top of the line" ObG LPR-59 with fret edge bindings and blank thruss rod cover
and classic'57 pickups and long tenon plus nitro finish ... all original please have a look LOL

ObG and Orville pickups:

ObG ... Gibson Classic'57 pickups (mainly on top models only/from '93 to early '95 reissue models have fret edge bindings and blank thruss rod covers too)
while other ObG models from '88 to '94 were equipped TM490 (USA) or P-90 (USA) or Gibson Original (USA) pickups (and without fret edge bindings)

Orville ... Orville Original (Japan) P.A.F type pickups (... always without fret edge bindings)

Cheers
spider, Webtroll and sted like this.
Unread 11-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepot View Post
well ... okay gentleman ... please check out these great and very informative pages (expert guy what comes to MIJ) > Page 1 history

then ... my "top of the line" ObG LPR-59 with fret edge bindings and blank thruss rod cover
and classic'57 pickups and long tenon plus nitro finish ... all original please have a look LOL

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00291.jpghttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00283.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00248.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00242.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00077.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSC00088.jpg

ObG and Orville pickups:

ObG ... Gibson Classic'57 pickups (mainly on top models only/from '93 to early '95 reissue models have fret edge bindings and blank thruss rod covers too)
while other ObG models from '88 to '94 were equipped TM490 (USA) or P-90 (USA) or Gibson Original (USA) pickups (and without fret edge bindings)

Orville ... Orville Original (Japan) P.A.F type pickups (... always without fret edge bindings)

Cheers
Thats the first time I have ever seen OBG's with Fret Edge Binding , outside of the first I saw which was a LP Custom I am not sayin Fuji didnt do it, just on the Standard and Re Issues, first I had seen it , When ever I get my Orville re fretted I will have em fret edge bind it though
Unread 11-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

They can only leave "nibs" on from the original fret installation unless you replace the binding, too, as I understand it.

Unread 11-14-2007, 04:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbay Ampworks View Post
They can only leave "nibs" on from the original fret installation unless you replace the binding, too, as I understand it.
My Luthier buddy who replaced my truss rod on my Franken Paul when he went to re bind, did a great fret edge job for a few dollars more, It was worth it to me
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Right, but rebinding the neck allows you to leave the "nibs" on the fret ends, just as if it were the original binding. So in effect you had the option because you put in new binding, and didn't just refret it with the original binding.

Unread 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

does anyone know of anywhere to get an Orville 59?? any information would be great. thanks
zoso304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso304 View Post
does anyone know of anywhere to get an Orville 59?? any information would be great. thanks
3 of the four Orville guitars I have owned, came off Ebay , my first one came from a local shop, Was an ES 335, a buddy tried but he is Les Paul exclusive in buying , One of my Orvilles came right from Japan
Japanese sellers are very reputable and fair, they would rather be beheaded than be known as thieves or cheats
Here is a plain top I spotted
ORVILLE (Gibson) MIJ Sunburst Les Paul Standard Guitar - (eBay item 320182160636 end time Nov-15-07 23:42:07 PST)
Unread 11-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

thanks alot, but im really looking for a flamed top of the line 59 OBG like the one in your pics. been trying to find one, takes patience.
how do the necks compare to the likes of the Gibson 59 vos?
Unread 11-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

What do you guys think of this? is it worth it? if so im gonna get it, does anyone have or has tried the neck on them? how do they rate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORVILLE-Gibson-M...QQcmdZViewItem
Unread 11-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
What do you guys think of this? is it worth it? if so im gonna get it, does anyone have or has tried the neck on them? how do they rate?

ORVILLE (Gibson) MIJ Les Paul Standard Flame Guitar - (eBay item 320183363172 end time Nov-22-07 17:36:27 PST)
necks vary says this is a medium C profile Similar to an R9 Many of mine have been R9 to R8ish, My ES 335 had a slimmer profile 60 type neck on it, Shipping is gonna run around 120 bucks from Japan to the US or UK The Pickups on these Orvilles are not wax potted, thru high gain amps you are in much higher feedback territory
Unread 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

i just spotted this beauty, what do you think?
Colin.
it says that the body is 2 pc i thought it was 1 pc along with the 1 pc neck??

VINTAGE JAPANESE ORVILLE BY GIBSON LES PAUL - (eBay item 120183783840 end time Nov-19-07 02:00:00 PST)
Unread 11-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
i just spotted this beauty, what do you think?
Colin.
it says that the body is 2 pc i thought it was 1 pc along with the 1 pc neck??

VINTAGE JAPANESE ORVILLE BY GIBSON LES PAUL - (eBay item 120183783840 end time Nov-19-07 02:00:00 PST)
Many times even on top grade Orville By Gibson , the bodies were either two or three piece . Fuji Gen it seemed had some problem with getting larger pieces of quality Mahogany for theor bodies , actually one piece bodies are rather rare for Orville/ Fuji Gen , of the time . The pattern of Photo flame there is the most common one Fuji used for Orvilles ,Still all in all a good guitar in good shape . Even with the above comments, in my opinion they are a better overall quality that current or past Les Paul Standards and or Studios, a few minor steps under a Historic R model in quality build
Unread 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

to you which looks to be the best guitar out of the 2 i have shown you?