MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr Teeny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Hohner les paul

Hi this is my first post . ive been visiting the forums for 1 year now and i´ve learned alot from you guys. So like all of you here im a les paul lover and want to get my first les paul (ive been playing a sg for 4 years). i know that the best lp replicas are made by japanese companies like tokai, greco, burny, orville, etc. But ive come across a 1986 hohner L59 les paul which i think looks very sweet, but i dont know how good this guitars really are.. are they like the epiphone lps or maybe better? what should i expect if i decide to buy it. Heres the ebay link: Sammlungsauflösung !!!! Hohner Professional L59 Les Paul | eBay Thank you for reading
igotaferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Re: Hohner les paul

I had one years ago. When I took it apart it appeared to be made of some kind of plywood and the top, back and sides were veneer. Try to find something else unless you can play it beforehand and like it.
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

OK thanks for replying
igotaferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
I had one years ago. When I took it apart it appeared to be made of some kind of plywood and the top, back and sides were veneer. Try to find something else unless you can play it beforehand and like it.

what model did you have i had one of the hohner professional series i have owned a few now and they are top quality guitars there les pauls are equal to or better than epiphone and there 335's are better than the epis for sure
Laney VC30 112
Pedals: vox wah, electro harmonix LPB1, chord OD50, Chord Delay,Chord Volume pedal,Chord Tuner.

''NEVER IMITATE, ALWAYS INNOVATE''
goldtop56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotaferret View Post
Hi this is my first post . ive been visiting the forums for 1 year now and i´ve learned alot from you guys. So like all of you here im a les paul lover and want to get my first les paul (ive been playing a sg for 4 years). i know that the best lp replicas are made by japanese companies like tokai, greco, burny, orville, etc. But ive come across a 1986 hohner L59 les paul which i think looks very sweet, but i dont know how good this guitars really are.. are they like the epiphone lps or maybe better? what should i expect if i decide to buy it. Heres the ebay link: Sammlungsauflösung !!!! Hohner Professional L59 Les Paul | eBay Thank you for reading

nothing wrong whatsoever with the hohner proffesional series and i would recommend them too any one a lot of people wont look at them twice because hohner make some really cheap nasty guitars but there professional series is quality i have owned 2 l59s and 3 se35s all of witch would match any epiphone
Laney VC30 112
Pedals: vox wah, electro harmonix LPB1, chord OD50, Chord Delay,Chord Volume pedal,Chord Tuner.

''NEVER IMITATE, ALWAYS INNOVATE''
goldtop56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtop56 View Post
i have owned 2 l59s and 3 se35s all of witch would match any epiphone
Dunno if that's a recommendation or backhanded compliment
rockguitar41 and goldtop56 like this.
Mr Teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Hohner les paul

In reply to goldtop56.

I like your Mission Statement at the end of your thread... My sentiments entirely. I am new to this site [today], though I have posted threads on Gibson's own site... I am a senior guitarist of over 30 years experience in all matter of guitar endeavours - Designer/builder, player, rewires/electronics, setups/repairs, collector and historian. I know guitars, especially electrics...
BUT, of the Hohner, I have to admit historically I am somewhat ignorant - hence a visit to this site [..via the customary Google search].

I have owned 3 Les Paul's in my life, my first electric was a Maya Gold Top and though a bit of a plywood plank, got me started in electrics [...the blessed thing is probably a collectors piece now!]. My next electric was a Gibson Flying V [1972] and was awesome. My next Les Paul was a Gibson LP Standard - Cherry SB [...equally awesome], fitted with Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' HB in the bridge position - Gut wrenching!! [...should never have got rid].

Of my current list, I own a Kramer Striker 300ST - HSS [Seymour D's],fitted with a Floyd Rose, not quite as ostentatious as the Gibo LP or V, but still one of my favourite guitars ever [...after I re-fretted it], a very rare Burns Flyte - fitted with Gibson Flying V2 'Boomerang' HB pickups [...up for grabs on Gumtree] and my 3rd Les Paul, which I have owned for around ten years [though my ex's son had it for a while...].

It is a Black L75 [Ser# 8821038], with micro-tilt neck and black cover-less HBs. It was my main electric for a number of years, its action is not bad but not quite gig-worthy, but nice enough to practice on and does have the typical feel and tone of a LP. I am quite fond of it, bought it off a mate for £100, 15 years ago. I am about to refurbish it [...frets are worn and it needs some TLC]. It has a MOP [...imitation] diamond insert in the headstock and MOP trapezoid position markers. But it is a laminate [ply] body, so I am under no illusions.

A word on plywood guitars. My Striker is a laminate bodied guitar, but with those Seymour Duncan pickups it really doesn't matter. Its neck is Maple with a fine rosewood fretboard. The same same could be said for the Hohner - tonewise, though it is no patch on the Striker and after having had the real thing it is a plank in comparison. But being a pro series I think it is an ideal beginners or standby guitar, and on par with the Epiphone [but cheaper...].

I have my heart set on getting a Gibson RD [fitted with auto-tuning gizmos and piezo pack - check out Schaller's alternative system to Gibson's/PRS's]. I intend to go for a PRS at some point too, I love the sound and look of their guitars.

"INNOVATE AND PROCREATE" But above all ROCK ON with whatever falls to hand...
Deebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

PS ...I forgot one or two observations on the Hohner LP's - If you go for one, get the machine heads changed [Schaller - jap copies or equivalent, make sure they have adjustable dampening - a screw in the end of the button...], the original machines are rubbish [...I'm not too impressed with Gibson Klusion's either... I replaced mine with Schaller's - by far the best make of machine heads...].

In fact the Hohner is an ideal instrument to use as a test-bed or would certainly benefit from hardware upgrade - when I re-fret mine, I may go for stainless frets - just for kicks...
Deebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

@Deebz
I got 2 of the Hohner Pro. One L59 goldtop and a L75 bolt on. I am on a hunt, for the L90-goldtop.
I can tell you, they are awesome guitars." As a test bed"? Have you ever had hands on these guitars! I do not think so.
Kochens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had a Hohner Pro L59, I bought it new in 1988. It was a superb guitar, really well made and had a beautiful tobacco burst. Wished I still had it.

Gibson Les Paul Custom VOS
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 05

Gibson SG Standard

Fender Telecaster USA Standard
Fender Stratocaster USA Standard
Fender Stratocaster 1979
Fender Stratocaster 1979 Ash

Fender Stratocaster MIM Plus Top
Charvel Model 4
Marshall JCM 2000 & 1960A 4 X 12 Cab
Mark B. is offline   Reply With Quote