Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GammyBird
  • 1 Post By Zenzeypher
  • 1 Post By dspelman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Les Paul copy

Hey there, my first post!

I'm after a new les Paul but planned on gettin an old 1970's copy. I've seen a maya, Kay, hondo, Columbus, all sorts of cheaper brands. My plan is to totally rewire it, new tuners and pups also. My question is, what are these built like, is it really worthwhile doing it if the build of the guitar is gonna still be poor, is it better to just buy a body and neck off ebay perhaps? Also just to add, it's the all black ones I'm looking at, love the "black beauty" look
lengle1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Les Paul copy

You're best option is to buy a black Custom from the 80's or early 90's and mod as you see fit...in a lot of cases you probably wont' have to mod it at all. I've seen some very nice Customs in the MIJ Classifieds thread at very reasonable prices. In most cases, these are solid body guitars with a set neck.

Of course this will depend on your budget.

Welcome to the forum
bassbo530 likes this.
GammyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Knowing what cheap means to you will help the forum help you. It can be worthwhile to spend a little more up front and be done, unless you just enjoy modding and the process that goes with it. I think you will enjoy any of the offerings from Tokai, Burny, Greco, Orville, Bacchus, Edwards, and many of the other fine Japanese guitar makers out there. This is all depends on your total budget though....
Orvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

What sort of prices are u talking for an 80's 90's copy? And what type of make?
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can shake down a pretty decent LP in these parts for about $600 and up. Depending on where you are, shipping and Duty charges may drive that price up a couple of hundred at times.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I was looking at spending 100-200 in total, guitar and parts. I think Im trying to ask if these maya copies and the others I mentioned will be any good if I rewire the whole thing with new pups and hardware. I saw a Japanese maya for 50, new pups and parts anothe 150 on top. I want it to be gig worthy when done but I'm worried the shell of the guitar may not be good enough regardless of the new hardware
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've never had a Maya but you may be right about the he shell not being good enough regadless of the hardware.

Anybody else here ever owned a Maya or a similar guitar that can chip in a bit?
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

If not I may just wait and go for an epiphone black beauty, but fancied a tinker. Any help re cheaper models would be a great help. Like I said, not sure the shell of the guitar will be up to much IMO.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

A buddy of mine had a black Hondo Les Paul shaped guitar that I banged around on every now and again back in my school days... I don't remember it being anything worth sinking any money into. It was a fine beater guitar with a bolt on neck but when you spend a little more, the level of guitar is on another level in my opinion. It is hard to know what your country's currency will get you in a guitar since I am not there.

Anyway, that is the extent of my ber cheap guitars. If you can find some of these models in music stores used, give them a try if possible, that would be my suggestion. Maybe there is one that would float your boat as a potential upgrade candidate.
Orvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Personally, I'd sit back and wait for a Burny, Orville or Greco Custom to show up...You need to have 5 or 10 posts before you can PM somebody. PM me when you can.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Early 70's copies sub 200 are usually a hunk of shit... you can get the occassional gem, but usually Hondo, Columbus etc are usually plywood bold on pieces of attrocities.

Id get a 2nd hand Epiphone custom, much much better piece of equipment and built far better...usually

check on Gumtree.
Thumpalumpacus likes this.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well forget that then, I'll wait around and get something a bit better I think. Can still pull out the pups if need be. I'm just in take it to pieces mode! Ha
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

What about this - VINTAGE V100 - Gloss Black - Gold H/W at Reidys.com - The home of Music on the web.. You may even be able to find them cheaper on Ebay.
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

I remember owning a vintage tele about 12 years ago, it was a pile of 5h1t, I have heard they are much better now though! For that price I may get an epi, I have 3 already and all are flawless. On The g400 I've just got a 66 reissue scratchplate made by terrapin for it and new pups to come, maybe that's all the DIY I'll be doin for now then!
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
KTM

Do you have any photos of the Maya?

I have a 1976 El Maya Les Paul Custom that I bought new. I'm not sure what the difference is between the Maya and the El Maya. Mine has a bolt on neck. I did some setup to it shortly after I bought it, the typical stuff, surfaced the frets, adjusted the truss rod, set the intonation and whatnot also replaced the top hat knobs (they were similar to Fender Twin Reverb amp knobs) with gold speed knobs. The neck profile is very similar to my 2005 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. In the early 1980's I replaced the pickups (Carvin M22 pups), caps, pots, selector switch, output jack, tuners and changed the trim from black to cream. Main reason for the pickup change was because the original pots were getting noisy (and they were junk in the first place) and while I was changing them I decided to replace a bunch of stuff. When I changed the pickups I rewired it, adding dual to single coil switches and a phase switch. It is a very resonant guitar. If I could find another one I would buy it, provided it wasn't priced at a crazy high price...

KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

El Maya is generally better brand than Maya (though from the same company), just like Orville by Gibson and Orville.
pdoodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lengle1981 View Post
My question is, what are these built like,
Depends...

Some are well built, some are junk.
I have a Granada--Matsumoku built--and it's a bolt on neck, and while it's not as good as my real Les Paul--it's a well built solid guitar--wood wise--although the top is veneer.

But with the new pickups in it--it sounds great--and even counting labour it was cheaper than buying a lower priced guitar to use for slide--because I'd probably have modded that one if I'd gone that way.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lengle1981 View Post
I remember owning a vintage tele about 12 years ago, it was a pile of 5h1t, I have heard they are much better now though!
They are indeed. I have one (see sig) and many others report them as being good for the outlay, as ever though, best if you can play them first.
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

In that price range, there's no guarantee that buying an old Japanese clone will be any better than buying a new Korean in a similar price range. You're more likely to get electronics that work, etc., with the new Korean, and can take your time figuring out if it's worth throwing more money at.

For example, I have an Agile AL-2000 Floyd from Rondo Music:

It's' a B-stock with finish issues on the top (that you mostly can't see from anything past 3 feet anyway), and it was under $200 with case. And yes, it's got a 24-fret neck and yes, that's a "tilted" neck heel that works almost as well as a Gibson Axcess. In all, a monster for upper fret access. I'd more or less planned that I would have to shake out anything metal on the guitar and replace it, but as things worked out, I put the guitar on a PLEK machine, had a great setup done on the guitar, complete with fret polishing, and just decided to play it as is for a while. At nearly 3 years old, now, it remains an outstanding player, and the hot ceramic-magnet pickups have grown on me and everyone I've handed it to has been blown away at the playability and sound.
MrGansburg likes this.
dspelman is offline   Reply With Quote