MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Other Single-Cuts
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tradition Les Paul style guitar...?

I just got a Les Paul style guitar made by Tradition.
I ran a search on the forum (and Google) and am thoroughly confused.

All of the pictures I see of Tradition brand LP style guitars have set necks, a "backwards" control layout and those those weird women's underwear shaped inlays.

Mine is a bolt-on neck, with the Gibson-esque trapezoid inlays, and the control layout is like Gibson's. It's also got a quilted maple (veneer) top. Neck & body have creme binding. Headstock shape matches the shape of other Tradition LP style guitars. Tradition logo looks silk screened.

It's well used with several "battle scars" (chips) and very heavy. Appears to be solid mahogany (5 piece) with a 1 piece neck with a scarf joint. The pickups are unmarked PAF lookalikes, and sound INCREDIBLE!

All-in-all, it is a great sounding and feeling guitar, and I feel like I practically stole it (even though it's a bolt-on neck!) but I am very confused by the specs being so different. Any ideas?

I'll get some pics up tomorrow for you guys to see.
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tradition Les Paul style guitar...?

What do you mean "the specs being so different"? It's a "copy", so the specs aren't going to be exactly the same as a Gibson!

Every ["replica/copy"] manufacturer has their own signature way of doing things, which is how you can usually tell one "copy" from another. Gibson guitars are VERY specific in almost every aspect of their respective details, which sets them apart from every other brand.

Plus, there are certain "details" that most companies won't "replicate", because they can risk getting sued, so the odds of any current "copies" being 100% accurate to any Gibsons are extremely low.
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think you are misunderstanding me.
I am not comparing this guitar to a Gibson at all--where did you get that from?
as a matter of fact, I only mentioned Gibson twice. Once to say that my guitar has the same inlays and again about the layout of my guitar's controls being similar.

Most "Tradition" Les Pauls: set neck, backwards control layout, panty-shaped inlays
My "tradition" Les Paul: bolt-on neck, normal control layout, trapezoid inlays

Anyone know any info on what model mine is and why it's so different from the other "Tradition" LP's?

Last edited by DalyTek; 01-17-2011 at 02:25 PM.
DalyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK here is a picture if that helps:

Last edited by DalyTek; 01-18-2011 at 02:00 AM.
DalyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

OHhhh! Sorry about that!

I was thinking "Traditional" as in, "Gibson LP Traditional".

Anyway...They probably changed some of the "appointments" to help better distinguish them from actual Gibson guitars, or even other copies.

Heritage Guitars (started by ex-Gibson employees in the old, Kalamazoo Gibson factory), did the same thing with their "LP-style" guitars back in the early nineties. They changed the cutaway horn shape, because it was exactly the same as the Gibson LP. Gibson threatened to sue, so they had to change it!

Also, the specs on many "copies" change from year to year, because the manufacturer decides that there is something that needs "improvement". Maybe that's the case?
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just a guess, but perhaps two different manufaturers used the tradition name. Or it could be the same manufacturer but just made differently, Different years, models etc....
Studio06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I "think" it might be an S-10Q. I have read that Tradition's earliest LP-style guitars were the S-20 (a set neck model), the S-10 (a bolt-on model) and the S-10Q (the bolt-on model with the quilt top).

The only pictures I can find of the S-10/S-10Q models show square/rectangle inlays, and mine has the trapezoids. I am assuming this is probably just a year thing that was changed it other years...maybe due to legal action like rockstar232007 said...

Anyway, I thin it's a really nice guitar. Well made, definitely. It has a switchcraft jack and CTS pots in it. I think I might swap out those cheapo capacitors for something better. Other than that, I think it's great the way it is.
Unread 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi!

I think you have a Tradition S10Q as you suspect. I had the same issue... as you can see in this thread:
Fake Tradition Guitar?

In my case, the guitar sounds really good! What about you? Do you like the sound of that guitar?
luxigni is offline   Reply With Quote