MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Other Guitars
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Are Jay Turser Guitars

...any good?

Last edited by ToothDecay; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
ToothDecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Re: Are Jay Turser Guitars

Right around Epiphone quality. Maybe a little bit below - but not much. Very playable guitars - built in one of the Korean factories that used to build Epis OEM. Unsung factory makes 'em. I have a Jay Turser bass and a Jay Turser "PRS Style" double cut. Both are decent guitars.

They are definitely a step up from most of the Chinese stuff out there.
diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Both are fantastic looking guitars - solid construction - sound great - play pretty good (both could use a pro setup...)

Old photos taken while we were living in Korea. I have the bass here at home - the "Eagle" model is in storage.
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had a bunch of Tursers, but sold or traded most of them away. I had an SG copy that was a really well-made guitar, and a Gold Top LP copy that was kinda cool but very lightweight.

I still have these:

A blond 335 copy that I love.

A modded electric resonator that I also really dig.

And a 7-string that I got for 90 bucks.

All play well, reasonably well built. The 335 copy is definitely my favorite of the three.

- D

"You were old the first time I signed you." - unnamed A&R guy to StrangerNY, 2000
StrangerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Last year, I sprung for a red paisley Tele copy. It might be one of the most dreadful guitars ever to arrive at my house. The wood color underneath the paisley was uneven, resulting in a lighter section running right down the middle. The whole thing was light as a feather and didn't feel or sound like it had any balls to it. It was quite simply an awful piece of work. I wasted no time sending it back.

And I'm a connoisseur of cheap guitars!
SpinWheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWheelz View Post
Last year, I sprung for a red paisley Tele copy. It might be one of the most dreadful guitars ever to arrive at my house. The wood color underneath the paisley was uneven, resulting in a lighter section running right down the middle. The whole thing was light as a feather and didn't feel or sound like it had any balls to it. It was quite simply an awful piece of work. I wasted no time sending it back.

And I'm a connoisseur of cheap guitars!
Hmm I was considering getting a Tele copy since I love them almost as much as LP's. Now I'm having second thoughts
ToothDecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

go squire if all you want is a tele copy or better yet go 4 a mim tele
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I agree w/ Squier - my Squier Standard is a nice guitar that I've gigged half a dozen times or so, and it was only $200. My SX Tele is total garbage - so don't go that route either.
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Location: In the pit rubbing the lotion on it's skin. It doesn't like the hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman View Post
I agree w/ Squier - my Squier Standard is a nice guitar that I've gigged half a dozen times or so, and it was only $200. My SX Tele is total garbage - so don't go that route either.
+1 on the SX.

It seemed all right when I first got it, but the more I looked, the more I found was totally jacked up. It sounds OK, but when I tried to intonate it, I found the neck pocket is about 3/16'' too close to the bridge, I actually had to put shims in between the neck and the end of the pocket wall just to be able to get the saddle back far enough. I got it to intonate there, but the low "E" string is actually bent backward coming out of the body hole before going thru the saddle. Playable, but not what I was after.

I also found that the neck pocket is routed deeper on the bass side than on the treble side, so the neck is "listing" about 3 degrees to port.

Glad I didn't pay much for it, I'll probably keep it around for the nieces and nephews to trash, it's pretty much firewood as it is.
captain tightpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Cap'n - I lent my SX Tele to our drummer to "learn" some chords on (he's our lyricist, and wants to be able to strum along to himself while writing lyrics). I won't ever use it. I'd spend a pile of money for a major fret level and nut work - and would still have a cheap-o guitar in the end which costs more than a nice Squier or even MIM Tele.
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, it seemed OK at first, but the deeper I looked, the worse it got. It still sounds pretty good, but my Squier Thinline was WAY better out of the box. Much easier to get a decent setup on. Sorry if I steered you wrong on that one!
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Check out the CV 50's squire tele, most are great to go right out of the box, pine body like the originals, vintage tuner, vintage bridge, great pups, decent electronics (switch is crap), and fit and finish best any mim I've had or pondered having, $350 new, every now and again you see some used ones around $200

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0303025507

I have a CVS 50's and 60's strats, love emthey arent just good guits for the money, just good guitars.
peskypesky likes this.
Iceman0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain tightpants View Post
Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, it seemed OK at first, but the deeper I looked, the worse it got. It still sounds pretty good, but my Squier Thinline was WAY better out of the box. Much easier to get a decent setup on. Sorry if I steered you wrong on that one!
Its all good. I got an SX SJM that I quite like after a few hardware upgrades. It has one high fret and needs nut work - but I think I can get it squared away for under $60 in labor.
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Is that the funky shaped one like Bling got with the P-90's? I do dig those, but I'm not buying anything for a while. I think my next guitar purchase is going to be a double cut Warmoth LPS.
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Yup - this beast. $129.

Unread 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

Microphonic pickups - not potted.
Very light wood.
Cheap hardware - tuners started to discolor in a month (no humidity in SoCal).

I sold it less than 3 months after I bought it.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Contact Fort Mason guitars.

I have a JT "Redwood" Tele can I am very pleased with it. Simply put, I've had no trouble with it what so ever. Oh, I did get a little tarnish on the hardware. Considering the heat a hum. here in the tropics, and the fact that I don't polish anything, that isn't too surprising. 3 minutes with a polishing cloth took care of it.

I don't suffer from "brand name fever". Nor do I believe that a certain sticker on the head stock makes one guitar better than another. Some people do. For those folks, nothing but a name brand will do. Each to his own.

The grim reality is 99% of our guitars are made in Asia and are sold in the US market at a low price. This will result in a "reduced acceptable quality" standard. But you are going to get that on any guitar that sells for less than $1000. Sometimes some bummers get through. It is an issue.

If you are going to buy a low cost guitar, you need a good retailer. I was very impressed with Chance McFaddon at Ft. Mason Guitars. The guy spent an hour with me on the phone answering my questions. He also inspects and will set up your guitar for you.

best wishes
Joe
Joseph Gioielli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gioielli View Post
Contact Fort Mason guitars.

I have a JT "Redwood" Tele can I am very pleased with it. Simply put, I've had no trouble with it what so ever. Oh, I did get a little tarnish on the hardware. Considering the heat a hum. here in the tropics, and the fact that I don't polish anything, that isn't too surprising. 3 minutes with a polishing cloth took care of it.

I don't suffer from "brand name fever". Nor do I believe that a certain sticker on the head stock makes one guitar better than another. Some people do. For those folks, nothing but a name brand will do. Each to his own.

The grim reality is 99% of our guitars are made in Asia and are sold in the US market at a low price. This will result in a "reduced acceptable quality" standard. But you are going to get that on any guitar that sells for less than $1000. Sometimes some bummers get through. It is an issue.

If you are going to buy a low cost guitar, you need a good retailer. I was very impressed with Chance McFaddon at Ft. Mason Guitars. The guy spent an hour with me on the phone answering my questions. He also inspects and will set up your guitar for you.

best wishes
Joe
I got a faded special for $579, shipping included.
The only thing it lacks is a nitro finish.
So, I'd disagree that anything sub $1,000 is an import and less than what I expect from a guitar.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman View Post
i can feel myself wanting one of these more every time i see one... and i have NO idea why

"Sometimes I wish I was disabled trust fund baby, so I could sit around and bitch about my Tube Screamer bumping my Mids too much." - QBob
snaredrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Re: Are Jay Turser Guitars any good? Yes!

I have not tested the cheaper Tursers for intonation, but they look like they could be set up properly. Some of the Turser hollowbodies are very nice, and I have played one of them.

If I was on a budget I'd be tempted to buy a Turser hollowbody and mod it with vintage (pre-1964) Gibson P90's or some quality boutique buckers or 57 Classics

1969 SG Standard,
1971 goldtop Deluxe
1990 Gibson LP Junior, nitro refin
bosrocker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have seen the JT200 PRO double cut set necks in amber that looked pretty nice . Hefty, solid feeling guitars with nice enough frets .

Anyone here own one of these 2 volume 2 tone control Gibson DC'ish guitars ?
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bhmcintosh Send a message via AIM to bhmcintosh Send a message via Yahoo to bhmcintosh

I have a JT semihollow. I've found a couple of minor quibbles - there was a small discoloration in the finish, and the trapeze tailpiece rattles some against the G & B strings (hence the piece of velcro in the picture). Overall, though, build quality is quite high, and it plays and sounds very nice. The quilted maple top looks fabulous, too. Neck's just a hair narrow for fingerpicking.

peskypesky likes this.
bhmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bhmcintosh Send a message via AIM to bhmcintosh Send a message via Yahoo to bhmcintosh

I have a JT semihollow. I've found a couple of minor quibbles - there was a small discoloration in the finish, and the trapeze tailpiece rattles some against the G & B strings (hence the piece of velcro in the picture). Overall, though, build quality is quite high, and it plays and sounds very nice. The quilted maple top looks fabulous, too. Neck's just a hair narrow for fingerpicking.

bhmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Fun times;

A Music Store going out of business sale -- $90.00 dollar bill for a new old stock 2004 JT-200PRO . Rare two piece back

It has medium frets and i wish they were larger but everythings fine with the chunky sized neck and it stays in tune . The tuners are actually pretty nice but the pups are the modern, really tight/compressed sound--not for me. I put Hagstrom 58's in it and all's well in the Turser world I'll change them to P-90'ish something later .

Unread 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Congrats on the JT200 Pro. I love those double cuts.
Minneapolis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

I see tons of em around here....I think like most companies in this range...you gotta play before you pay!

1998 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson USA pickups
2006 Fender "Big Block" HSS Stratocaster
Custom Built "Esquire Clone"
Custom Built Hard Tail HSS "Strat"
Heavily Modified Epiphone DR 100 Acoustic Electric
Custom Built Goldtop Les Paul Copy
Peavey Vypyr 75
Rocktron Classic Wah
'78 Boss OD-1
BigJza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have a JT 220 (Les Paul type Turser), and have no problems with it. It seems better quality then a Epi Les Paul Studio I had, but maybe not as good as a Epi Les Paul custom I also had. I have been told by a couple guys that you should try one out first before buying one and to avoid online purchases of them.. I have had mine since january 2008 and have had no troubles with the chrome tarnishing and mine sits on a wallhanger bracket majority of the time..
1949 Gibson Br-9
'07 Danelectro '59DC
Reverend Goblin amp
kevin134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop View Post
A Music Store going out of business sale -- $90.00 dollar bill for a new old stock 2004 JT-200PRO . Rare two piece back

but the pups are the modern, really tight/compressed sound--not for me. I put Hagstrom 58's in it and all's well in the Turser world
BeBop felt need to make a correction. BeBop was a dope and didn't do a systematic assessment of those stock pups. After removing a pedal from the chain , reinstalling the stock pups and setting heights --- it sounds great !
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've owned a JT tele that was alright. Kind of light but still not bad for 90 bucks shipped. I also own a JT 200 LP copy. Absolutely a first rate guitar with pick ups that sound better in my 2 day old EPI standard. Matter of fact I like it so much in fact I am having Dick Robertson at the HOG cut me a new bone knut for it. Stays in tune for days at a time, sounds good, fast neck and about 3/4lb lighter than my Epi. thanks

PS I also own 2 SX tele's from Rondo. Way better than any Squier I have played to date including my CV I used to own and my tele custom. Necks are better for sure and I think the bodies are a bit better too. Super tight fit in the neck pockets and they stay in tune. Put 4 way switches in them, and new neck pups(tone rider classics) and I am a happy camper.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

The guitar store near me has a Jay doubleneck for $250. If I had the money, I'd get it, considering new it's $700
FlabberGhast is offline   Reply With Quote