MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Other Guitars
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: 80's shredder guitar advice welcomed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlespauls View Post
Hey guys,
I made a "special" and crazy deal with the wife, which works out for me well because her end of the deal is inevitable anyways lol, young married couples will know what I'm getting at.....
Anyway, my part of the "deal", is that I get to upgrade anything that I want withing reason on my Elitist GT (spending a good $300-$400 on it), a new or used, MIM Classic Player Series Strat or MIJ equivalent or used MIA Fender Strat,..........
and I want to get an 80's type of Super-Strat shredder!!! Pointy headstock, banana headstock, bolt-on, neck-thru, bridge pickup and volume knob only is prefered. An Original Floyd(German made/Schaller), or vintage style tremolo is what I'd like, in most cases I'm sure the Floyd is the one I"m going to go with, even though string changes are a pain in the ASS!!!! The only guitars of my description with the vintage style trem are the Custom Shop Charvels, and I can't spend that much.

So, my budget is no more than $1,200.
So far in the running for my cheesey/pointy/shredder/80's guitar quest are:
*NOS Kramers. You heard it right, a dealer in my neck of the woods has a rack of NOS MIA Kramers!!!! Not sure exact models, but I remember a few 85 style Barretta's!!!! Sweet! And well under a grand! Yes, the shop owner is out of touch with todays technology and market. Score!!
*Kramer/MusicYo USA 1984 or 1985 reissues. Either one I can find, any color.
*New USA production Charvel SoCal style 1 with Seymours and the new chrome hardware and Antique white color. SWEET! but maybe not 80's enough, maybe thats a good thing lol!!
*Carvin DC125 custom order. Any way I want it, would be chrome Floyd and locking nut, Olympic White, bridge humbucker, neck-tru, flamed maple fretboard with painted matching headstock and back of neck(satin finish on neck.) 80's pointed headstock and large 80's Carvin logo.
*Warmouth Charvel style San-Dimas guitar, vintage 6 bolt trem, Seymour JB (or something) at the bridge, Candy blue metallic, Birdseye quarter-sawn one-piece neck, knurled volume knob. Can you have this guitar made in my budget?

So if I missed any other goodies, let me know!! This will be my most fun guitar for sure! Can't wait to belt out some "Lay it Down", "Too Young to fall in Love", "Still of the Night", etc LOL!!! (Not the only stuff I play by a long shot, but proud guilty pleasures none-theless lol!!)
Bring it on dudes! Thanks!
My '85 Guild S-280 USA w/ active EMG's - 2 EMG single coils, bridge EMG hum, Kahler locking tremolo system, Grover tuners ~

Telechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #32 (permalink)

Haven't read anything in this thread, but I recently scalloped a maple neck on a USA Kramer and I gotta say, those are quality shred machines. Hard to go wrong with a MIA Kramer.
kspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

This is what I'd get!

B.C. Rich Guitars - Gunslinger Retro - Floyd Rose Original, Maple Neck
Toogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Ha i love that thing! thats what i would get to!
If i ever play in a metal band...! thats the one for me.
steadyriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

For the budget you of $1200 for an 80's shred guitar, you could find yourself a genuine "vintage" 80's guitar with a bit of research.

Now if you wanna go 80's "cheesy" then you've got to go with some graphics!

How about:

roadsong66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Oh crap -- Far and Away the Carvin.
You can now get them with a 20" (very flat) radius. Upper fret access, thanks to the neck-through body design, is unparalleled. Their build quality is as good as anything on the market and better than most. The M22SD is a truly raucous pickup and even splits to produce a really outstanding single coil sound. My personal favorite in these is the DC-145 HSH style, with the straight (rather than rounded) body sides. I've got half a dozen Carvins, including three of their super strat DC styles. Two of them are mahogany body/neck, one is an all-koa body/neck, and one of the mahogany guitars has a quilted maple cap. Sorry, but the Charvels and Jacksons just pale by comparison, IMHO...
dspelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I do like that B.C. Rich, Toogy! Sweet, and Original Floyd (most likely the Korean Floyd, but still Original), looks the part too!
RED Rum!! lol thats classic, I like that!

So dspelman! you're a Carvin man I see! I love the looks of em, and I"m thinking that I'm going to have one built towards the Fall.
If I don't go Shredder route for my 1 of 2 new guitars this year, I may have a DC 125 made in Blue Mist with flame maple fret board, satin body matching painted neck, pointy matching inline headstock with 80's big Carvin logo, C22SD, Chrome Floyd with locking nut, straplocks, and a 14" radius. Would a 20" be total madness lol!??
Oh, what are you thinking dude, you can't say that you have SIX Carvins and not show me any pics!!!!!
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

Charvel Model Series....best bang for the $$!!
SGMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

So dspelman! you're a Carvin man I see! I love the looks of em, and I"m thinking that I'm going to have one built towards the Fall.
If I don't go Shredder route for my 1 of 2 new guitars this year, I may have a DC 125 made in Blue Mist with flame maple fret board, satin body matching painted neck, pointy matching inline headstock with 80's big Carvin logo, C22SD, Chrome Floyd with locking nut, straplocks, and a 14" radius. Would a 20" be total madness lol!??
Oh, what are you thinking dude, you can't say that you have SIX Carvins and not show me any pics!!!!!
Nothing all that special -- one pearl white V220 from the late '80's with MOP inlays, a Kahler and chrome hardware, one all-black DC-135 ('93) with gold hardware and straight-pull pointy headstock, one all-koa DC-145 ('91) with gold hardware and a very rare 25.5" 22-fret neck with tilted pointy headstock, one very recent DC-145 in all mahogany with quilted top (this one,

one black all-maple (heavy!) DC-150 ('89) with the old style small double-cutaway body, active preamp pickups, black hardware, Kahler and arrowhead V-style headstock and one all-koa DC-150 ('89) with a vintage yellow flamed maple top, abalone inlays, abalone split diamond and logo headstock (3+3 traditional) and a DC-145 pickup setup. I'll get a family shot together at some point. The late '80's models are all 12" radius 24.75" scale, the '91 is the 25.5" scale and the rest are 25" scale with 15" radius fretboards.

BTW, I wanted one Les Paul-ish gofast guitar, so when Rondo Music opened its "custom shop" for a couple of weeks last November, I ordered this very heretical guitar:

Specs include a wide/thin neck (it's positively Carvin-esque!) with a 16" radius ebony fretboard, abalone inlays, recessed Floyd (!), 3/4" solid figured maple top with a tight flame and a set-through-neck (goes all the way through the body) with a one-piece body and an Axcess-like cut-down neck-body join. It's also solid mahogany and *heavy*. Gibson's Custom Shop estimate for the same guitar (with case) was $5760. But theirs would have had a tummy cut. Frets are medium jumbos and the action arrived *really* low, but the frets are even and well-groomed. Whoda thunk?

I almost did this with a Carvin CS6, but that was going to be $1800-2000, and since this guitar is essentially my "proof of concept" for a small project, it didn't warrant that kind of outlay. I'm not done with it yet; lots of electronics to go into this thing.

In any case, this guitar will do things that you don't normally expect from a Les Paul, and in locations (above the 17th fret) that are seldom trod upon by LP owners.
Unread 04-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Killer axes dude!!!!! yikes hows that badass Agile play??
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Killer axes dude!!!!! yikes hows that badass Agile play??
I was not expecting this guitar to be all that well done, but it's easily as well put-together as any Gibson I own, and the pickups remind me of classic '57's (yeah, I know, these are alnico V, those are alnico II) -- very similar sound and response. The action came dangerously low, and I was sure that I was going to be hammering on buzzing frets here and there, but that wasn't the case. It was bang snot on, and that includes intonation and even tuning. Someone in Korea evidently had a good time with this thing. The FR is actually a licensed version (I've got an OFR I can drop in easily enough), but it's a good one, and does lovely flutters. All in all, it came set up out of the box nearly as well as the Carvins do. I'm thinking that's NOT the case with all Agiles, but it was a nice treat. Playability has been great. It's getting a new set of Dean Markley (blue steel? cold steel?) strings tomorrow; these are getting dullish. The DMs always seem to have a lot of sparkle when they're new, and if I keep them clean, they last longer than most.

All in all, it's been a surprisingly smart buy.