MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls > Other Gibsons
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Know anything about the Gibson ES-347?

There is a 1989 Gibson ES-347 available locally. It was the first time I had seen one and I'd love to hear from anyone who owns one, owned one in the past, played one, or simply has an opinion on this model.

This is not the actual guitar, but this is version of the model I saw and played.

zplapplap is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Know anything about the Gibson ES-347?

I don't know, I've heard good things about them - maybe someone who knows will chime in.
dynabite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hope so.

This is the first one I had ever seen one in person. I guess there aren't many of these out there even if they were made for more than a decade.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm considering a purchase. I know "Pickguard: On or Off", "Chambered Les Pauls Suck", and "My Epi Slays Your Gibson" threads are more fun for many , but any opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated.
Chase743 and jimbob137 like this.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

The ES 347 was introduced by Gibson when the ES 345 was phased out. It is essentially either a souped up 335 (block inlays, multiple binding and I believe ebony fretboard) or a stripped own 355 (less Vibrola and stereo/Varitone circuitry) - depending on which way you prefer to look at it. Great guitars. If the price is right and you like it - go ahead and grab it!

The MLP-blues-guitar-course

https://soundcloud.com/slidingtom/the-journey
sliding tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

The guitar is near mint condition and they're asking $2,199.00 USD. I'm going to play it again. Depending on how that goes, I might offer 2K and see if they take it.

It has an ebony board. Thanks, Sliding Tom. It's good to see you back here.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplapplap View Post
It's good to see you back here.
Thanks! Keep us posted!

The MLP-blues-guitar-course

https://soundcloud.com/slidingtom/the-journey
sliding tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplapplap View Post
I'm considering a purchase. I know "Pickguard: On or Off",
Actually the 1st ones in '78 had single binding on the headstock, the rest after that had triple, that's where the tone went to hell right there.

What I've heard:

1. - George McCorkle from MTB said it's the best guitar he ever played. I can believe that he said that but is still a very subjective topic.

2. - It and all thinline electrics are copys of the Framus 1953 Billy Lorento model. If this is true it's ironic that Bill Lawrence designed the pups in the 347. The 1st Gibby thinline seems to be the ES 225 in 1956.

3. - Nothing can drive an EL34 like a 347. Possibly, IDK.

4. - It go from gospel to metal in a blink. Yes and without pedals.

5. - Can be more Stratty than Gilmore and dial in a good burst sound. Hard to buy that one but the single coil mode can sound very Fender.

6. - It sounds good no matter what amp used. So far I agree and also think it would sound good with ANY pups.

7. - It's a Sheraton on 'roids. See #2.

8. - The blond models sound better than the rest. LMAO well maybe it's true blonds have more fun.

9. - The 347 is for the acquired taste. Bull, it's for those that like it.

I've read that the Series 7 pups were replaced in '84 but am finding conflicting reports on that.

If you like it and can afford it, get it. It's the last ES hotrod available and it's days are numbered. It's almost impossible to find a good 340 - 357 - 369 in good shape these days.

Also found this:
Framus Vintage

Matt_21 likes this.

Last edited by dynabite; 01-04-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the post. This guitar might be gone before I know it. I'll see if I can put this together.
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Let's put it this way - I'd buy it for that sort of price unless it played like a dog.
circusboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy28 View Post
Let's put it this way - I'd buy it for that sort of price unless it played like a dog.
The price is right, for sure. I played it through a Deluxe Reverb RI and probably should have played it through the twin. Either way, I can't turn it up in the shop. The single coil tones were nice. Better than I expected. The full humbucker tones were full and rich. While good, I wasn't blown away, but some of that might have been the lifeless amp I was playing through. I have no idea what the overdriven tones sound like. Tuning at the bridge was strange, but it was stable. I liked the ebony board and the neck felt great. It was more 60's style. The gold hardware looke great against the guitar's natural finish.

I'm going to need some more time on it before I can decide. This would be a big purchase for me right now. I'm curious to see if it will last.
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

I played one about 16 years ago and it was sweet. I was in the army and went home for Christmas with a bud of mine and we went over to his brothers place to drink and hang out. It was in the corner and had been collecting dust for years. I was a really sweet axe. Really loud and resonant. Even with old nasty strings I could tell it was a cannon. I tried to buy it on the spot but he wouldn't sell it because it was a gift from his father who had passed away recently. Nice freaking guitar. At the time I thought it was a 335 but his brother said it wasn't.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Here's a '78 for free lmao - although it looks real the pup rings and bridge aren't original and who knows what else has been done to it, this smells scam.

Used 1978 Gibson ES347 | Sweetwater Trading Post
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabite View Post
Here's a '78 for free lmao - although it looks real the pup rings and bridge aren't original and who knows what else has been done to it, this smells scam.

Used 1978 Gibson ES347 | Sweetwater Trading Post
I'm not trusting enough to take free stuff from strangers.

Scam. It should be removed, though I'm not sure on what basis.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
I played one about 16 years ago and it was sweet. I was in the army and went home for Christmas with a bud of mine and we went over to his brothers place to drink and hang out. It was in the corner and had been collecting dust for years. I was a really sweet axe. Really loud and resonant. Even with old nasty strings I could tell it was a cannon. I tried to buy it on the spot but he wouldn't sell it because it was a gift from his father who had passed away recently. Nice freaking guitar. At the time I thought it was a 335 but his brother said it wasn't.
I understand sentimental value, guitar neglect is another story. Seriously and joking aside, it sounds like a good one...a near miss for you.

At first, I though I was looking at a 335 with a replacement bridge. The fancy headstock binding, block inlays and ebony board didn't tip me off as to the model. I thought I was looking at a Norlin, and that those were just the cosmetics and construction of the era. Despite it being an '89, it has a Norlin era vibe. The coil tap switch is small and placed right next to the pickup switch. It's easy to miss unless it's in your hands.

Last edited by zplapplap; 01-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's a Norlin design, maple neck, ebony board, and one of their better efforts. Any 347 I've played I really liked.
Flogger59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

So zplapplap,
Did you buy the Gibson ES 347? If so what do you think?
PlayLesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

I didn't buy it.

At the time, I would have to have sold some gear to get the cash together and I didn't have anything that I was willing to part with. It might be a while before I see another one. I did some serious shopping for a while and played it several times. There wasn't anything that I didn't like about it, but I can't review with the familiarity of someone who owns one.
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

347s are Norlin's best effort aside from the original Dot Neck reissues.I'd like one. Any I've played have been killer.
Flogger59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

That looks excellent.
Dashface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Yup I have one, a 1978. Great guitar especially as it has the Dirty Fingers pups. Worth buying just for those pups alone. Not sure if the later models had these?

Fantastic recording guitar, back in the day I removed the TP6 and fitted a light weight alloy TP. That mod really achieved the tone I needed at that time.

I have since returned it to stock and 347 is now living in retirement. A very versatile guitar with a nice neck.

Disregard the bike in the background and concentrate on those Dirty Fingers pups. You will feel the tone.

[IMG][/IMG]
stratoburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hello!
Iīm new to this forum and this is my first post. Iīve got a 347 from januari 79. I think the special character of the 347 has a lot to do with the maple neck/ ebony fingerboard combination. It doesnīt feel like the other 335:s Ive played. Itīs brighter and carries the tone with more clarity and sustain. Bad setup can make this guitar sound reallly awful though. All that treble really amplifies string buzz and the sustain could have you fooled into thinking that the setup is ok. With decent relief / string height and a balanced string set it plays and sounds like a dream. I couldnīt get along with the original pickups though, too much output for me. But thats another story for itself. .
A bit of a rant I guess, sorry about that. Bottom line if you have a chance to buy one, donīt hesitate , buy it get a good setup and consider changing the pups or have someone do it for you.
/B
es347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have an 81 347. Many years ago, I had a 79 335 that I traded to get into Fender territory during the 80s for playing top 40. I always missed that 335. It was a great player, and it sounded great, too. Several years ago I got the itch to find a 335 like my old one. In hind sight, I probably should have gone for a dot neck reissue. But I found an 81 347 on ebay for $1200 that had everything my 335 had, plus the Custom appointments. So, I bought it. It's a tad heavy imho, but not too much. It sounds absolutely great. It is completely stock afaik. The gold is almost gone from the pups, but oddly, not from anything else on it. I LOVE the tuners with the little handle on them!

I used the 335 I had on a recording that got some local airtime back in the early 80s. I used the coil-tap switch. I had many guys telling what a cool Strat tone I had! LOL Funny, now that I was a Strat guy for many years, that coil tap doesn't sound very Straty to me at all.

Anyway, I have no problem with a Norlin, as long as it is a good one. Mine is. In 1973 I bought a new LP Deluxe that I never really bonded with. But I don't think it was a bad guitar. I just wanted Pearly Gates back then, and the Deluxe was NOT that at all.
scottlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 02:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

Love those 347's, beautiful guitars!
circusboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Beautiful guitars y'all have there. One question I noticed there was an additional toggle switch on the lower horn, what's the function of that one?
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneguitar View Post
Beautiful guitars y'all have there. One question I noticed there was an additional toggle switch on the lower horn, what's the function of that one?
Coil tap.
scottlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

The 347 seems to be a well kept secret. Mine is marked "second" and is from the early 80's.
I put some lollar imperial's in it and it is one sweet guitar. I have it wired so I can tap both pickups instead of the phase reverse.
Angelloveguitars likes this.
bp-plickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

I know this reply is a bit late........but I have only just joined this forum.
I own a 1981 ES347 and I love it. It is ebony with gold hardware and plays like a dream - the versatility of tones is also superb. I have heard it described as the "thinking man's ES335". The only negative thing I have heard said of them is that some may find the bridge less aesthetically pleasing. In terms of price, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. I saw one recently posted on Chicago Guitar Exchange for $3,999 - it was a 1981 like mine. At $2,000 I would grab another!
Ranger400401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have had a burst-colored 1979 ES-347 since 1982. I purchased it new at a local music store. I recently had the frets dressed (for the last time possible, according to the tech), so it has been a great guitar for a good many years. Hot pickups when dialed up, nice and clean when rolled back. The phase/coil switch allows for very nice single coil sounds.
I have been playing it recently through a Marshall 100W plexi, and when dialed up it has a massive amount of gain...more than my Les Pauls or AXIS. I don't think you can go wrong, particularly if you want just one guitar that provides alot of different tones.
Playergjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Know anything about the Gibson ES-347?

Hi,
That's a pretty version of the guitar. I own an es 347 which i purchased about 24 years ago. It was 6 months old at the time. Even at that time I got it for a song. Cost me about $700. It's a tobacco sunburst color. What drew me to this guitar besides it's beauty is that at the time I could not decide between the sound of a fender strat and a gibson. This guitar has the classic gibson sound, crystal clear, and with lots of pickup variations. But the clincher for me was the coil tap toggle switch which gives the guitar a single coil sound that approximates the strat. It also has a tunable tail piece which is great for quick tweeking when you need it. If you like the feel of a Gibson which I do, it has a slightly wider neck then the 335. Takes a little getting used to but the ebony fingerboard is fantastic. I've kept good care of the guitar and recently had it refretted. It's definitely a lifetime keeper. I don't think there were a ton of these made and I haven't seen many for sale.
adamberk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
es 347, gibson es-347