MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls > Other Gibsons
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gibson J-180 Sellers?

is anyone or does anyone know anyone who is selling a gibson j-180, used by billie joe armstrong, star fret inlays, i believe they were discontinued around a decade ago, but i really want a gibson acoustic and they are just beautiful and i have seen people getting them used for $750! does anyone know where i may find one? thanks
Ryan Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Re: Gibson J-180 Sellers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Daley View Post
is anyone or does anyone know anyone who is selling a gibson j-180, used by billie joe armstrong, star fret inlays, i believe they were discontinued around a decade ago, but i really want a gibson acoustic and they are just beautiful and i have seen people getting them used for $750! does anyone know where i may find one? thanks
I don't know about Billie Joe Armstrong, but that's an Everly Brothers model you speak of.. If you see one for $750, grab it with haste, because they are generally worth 3 times that.
ltdave32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've never seen one anywhere close to $750-best price I've seen is more than twice that. I've played three of Billie Joe's-not sure if he has/had others, but one backstage in Philly last year and two on the first show (Camden) of this leg of the US tour in August. One of the techs asked if I'd be interested in selling mine and had me send pics of it to Billie Joe's tech. I suppose since he smashed the one I played last year and at the end of the Camden show, handed another to a kid in the audience, he was running out of them...Security pulled the kid and the guitar up and out and I got to play it in the VIP room after the show-lucky kid!!
Mine is an'04 Historic/Custom model, which has a different bridge than the 90s models which he prefers, so he passed, but it was cool that they asked. GREAT acoustic and not easy to find when you're looking for one-I looked for about six years before I snagged mine.
Serial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

The guitar store near me is selling a Everly Brothers guitar version of this for 1,000
lumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi , Im wondering if the J180 is still for sale?

Best,
matt adey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I thought BJA's j-180 was produced earlier this year again...

I had no idea those were around in the 90's too.

Explains why i saw a guitarist on an episode of Cold Case playing it.

Episode originally aired in 2006, so i was confused since i saw it advertised in march 2011.
Period.
Peace, Love and Understanding.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
icantbuyafender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbuyafender View Post
I thought BJA's j-180 was produced earlier this year again...

I had no idea those were around in the 90's too.

Explains why i saw a guitarist on an episode of Cold Case playing it.

Episode originally aired in 2006, so i was confused since i saw it advertised in march 2011.

The EVERLY BROTHERS model that you speak of, the one that was "around in the 90's" has actually been around since the early 1960's. It's the result of several prototype hybrids made for Don and Phil Everly, a recording duo in popular in the late 1950's, early 1960's. During the late 1950's, Gibson was customizing and prototyping several models for then-popular guitarist/performers. The Everly Brothers were extremely popular (and talented), and their exclusive use of Gibson acoustics helped Gibson acoustic sales immensely, I'd gather. It started out as a special, very deep-bodied J-200 with a double pickguard, then progressed into a slightly smaller body (I'm thinking a J-185 neck to a J-200 body) and became the Everly Brother's trademark; black finish, maple back and sides, spruce top, mahogany neck, double tort PG and star inlays. Gibson started marketing a production model I think in 1963. There are a few natural-finish ones around as well. The guitar underwent a few minor changes with regards to the bridge and other hardware, but all in all, this is the Everly model, designed by request and specification by Don and Phil Everly. Billy J. Armstrong had NOTHING to do with this guitar, he happened to find an old Everly model J-180 and liked it so much, it became his "go-to" acoustic.

Here's a great clip of Don and Phil Everly live in 1960, using the hybrid, deep-bodied guitars I spoke of:

http://youtu.be/lVHP7jR8_8o

And here's another transition model, note the black finish/white oversized PG, and especially the thinner body:

http://youtu.be/8KAxu27NGE4

Then finally, they produced the J-180 with the final body dimensions, star inlays, double tort PG, and labeled it the Everly model, as written on the TR cover. These have been around since 1963:

http://youtu.be/juby0KtA88Q
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave32 View Post
The EVERLY BROTHERS model that you speak of, the one that was "around in the 90's" has actually been around since the early 1960's. It's the result of several prototype hybrids made for Don and Phil Everly, a recording duo in popular in the late 1950's, early 1960's. During the late 1950's, Gibson was customizing and prototyping several models for then-popular guitarist/performers. The Everly Brothers were extremely popular (and talented), and their exclusive use of Gibson acoustics helped Gibson acoustic sales immensely, I'd gather. It started out as a special, very deep-bodied J-200 with a double pickguard, then progressed into a slightly smaller body (I'm thinking a J-185 neck to a J-200 body) and became the Everly Brother's trademark; black finish, maple back and sides, spruce top, mahogany neck, double tort PG and star inlays. Gibson started marketing a production model I think in 1963. There are a few natural-finish ones around as well. The guitar underwent a few minor changes with regards to the bridge and other hardware, but all in all, this is the Everly model, designed by request and specification by Don and Phil Everly. Billy J. Armstrong had NOTHING to do with this guitar, he happened to find an old Everly model J-180 and liked it so much, it became his "go-to" acoustic.

Here's a great clip of Don and Phil Everly live in 1960, using the hybrid, deep-bodied guitars I spoke of:

‪Everly Brothers-Cathy's Clown (1960) Live HQ‬‏ - YouTube

And here's another transition model, note the black finish/white oversized PG, and especially the thinner body:

‪The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back (Tennese Ernie)‬‏ - YouTube

Then finally, they produced the J-180 with the final body dimensions, star inlays, double tort PG, and labeled it the Everly model, as written on the TR cover. These have been around since 1963:

‪Everly Brothers vs. Gerry and The Pacemakers‬‏ - YouTube

I saw a pic of an Everly Bros j180 and it didnt have stars. just the double tort.

musta been a prototype or earlier model.

I knew all of this, i just didnt know BJA basically actively inherited the model so that it bears his name.

I thought the star crap was his idea/touch.

this explains why ive seen reputable bluegrass, honkey tonk, and southern fried blues players sporting them way before BJA.

I'd like a natural finished one with normal inlays and a normal tort guard.

until then i have my epiphone J200 Artist in natural. So far the sweetest acoustic for 200 bucks that Ive EVER played after a tusq nut, bridge and bridgepins were swapped onto it. i love that guitar.
Period.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

the smaller body would be more comfy, as when i play the j200 sitting, my shoulder is into my ear as if i was on the phone lol. so standing is the gig position with "Bertha"
Period.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
I saw a pic of an Everly Bros j180 and it didnt have stars. just the double tort.

musta been a prototype or earlier model.

I knew all of this, i just didnt know BJA basically actively inherited the model so that it bears his name.

I thought the star crap was his idea/touch.

this explains why ive seen reputable bluegrass, honkey tonk, and southern fried blues players sporting them way before BJA.

I'd like a natural finished one with normal inlays and a normal tort guard.

until then i have my epiphone J200 Artist in natural. So far the sweetest acoustic for 200 bucks that Ive EVER played after a tusq nut, bridge and bridgepins were swapped onto it. i love that guitar.
What you're describing there sounds like the J-185. Here's mine:

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

WOW. GAS attack like no ones business!!!!!!!!

Sir, that is a fine example of a singer/songwriter's wet dream!!!

Period.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks! I got in 2003, from GC for $1,525 out the door with HSC. I felt like I stole it..

What makes it special is that it's the Historic series, period correct for the 1951 model (they made them from 1951 to 1958). I encountered an original 1951 J-185 and went over it with a fine-tooth comb. Gibson did indeed get it right on the reissue. The Historic series of this guitar is now discontinued. You can occasionally see them listed on ebay, but not too often.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! I got in 2003, from GC for $1,525 out the door with HSC. I felt like I stole it..

What makes it special is that it's the Historic series, period correct for the 1951 model (they made them from 1951 to 1958). I encountered an original 1951 J-185 and went over it with a fine-tooth comb. Gibson did indeed get it right on the reissue. The Historic series of this guitar is now discontinued. You can occasionally see them listed on ebay, but not too often.

1500 for a historic?! at GC?!

gibbbo historic acoustics go well over 2300 at GC on any given day!

Im definitely going to tighten the belt and save up. I've been dying for a genuine gibby acoustic, and the jumbo body just has sooo much resonance and full-bodied tone that i dont see how anyone plays anything else.

GAS attacks over a Jett MM, Explorer, V, SG and now the epitome of an acoustic (imho)
Period.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
1500 for a historic?! at GC?!

gibbbo historic acoustics go well over 2300 at GC on any given day!

Im definitely going to tighten the belt and save up. I've been dying for a genuine gibby acoustic, and the jumbo body just has sooo much resonance and full-bodied tone that i dont see how anyone plays anything else.

GAS attacks over a Jett MM, Explorer, V, SG and now the epitome of an acoustic (imho)

Gibby acoustics have more mojo and vibe than any other acoustic, IMO. I've never run across one that didn't sound terrific.

I got such a good deal on it (Cerritos, CA GC) because it had been on the wall in the acoustic room for over a year. Still flawless though, nobody had managed to put a ding in it in all that time. The asking price was $1,825 and I negotiated down. Remember, this was 2003. Sometime a few years back, Gibby's price point went up. I saw this very guitar some 4 years ago listing for $2,700 from MF. They still have it around in the non-historic model, different tuners, cutaway body, no maltese crosses on the bridge, etc, and they've stopped putting the nibs on the fret binding.
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
the smaller body would be more comfy, as when i play the j200 sitting, my shoulder is into my ear as if i was on the phone lol. so standing is the gig position with "Bertha"
It is more comfy, I'm here to tell you. I've handled plenty of J-200's, and while pretty and outstanding guitars, they are just too damn big.. Now, that doesn't mean that the J-180/ J-185 are small, they're just not friggin' "godzilla". My J-185 is a pretty big acoustic. That's what the "J" means with gibby acoustics; "Jumbo"..

I have to admire the Epi version of the mighty J-200. I picked one up recently and gave it a good going over. That is one helluva lot of acoustic guitar for the buck. Sure, it's not a Gibson, but it's still a damn good acoustic for the money. I'm a Gibson acoustic addict, but I can't afford the 3K for another and yet another. I'd like to have an EJ-200 and their version of the Hummingbird or Dove. Plus, I'd like to get my fiancee one of those.. That way, it's always around for me too..
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just saw the Billy Joe Armstrong signature version in a catalog recently, looks the same as the Everly Brothers models but with a 1.72" nut width...IMO much , much better than the original 1.52" or so nut width.
Riffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
It is more comfy, I'm here to tell you. I've handled plenty of J-200's, and while pretty and outstanding guitars, they are just too damn big.. Now, that doesn't mean that the J-180/ J-185 are small, they're just not friggin' "godzilla". My J-185 is a pretty big acoustic. That's what the "J" means with gibby acoustics; "Jumbo"..

I have to admire the Epi version of the mighty J-200. I picked one up recently and gave it a good going over. That is one helluva lot of acoustic guitar for the buck. Sure, it's not a Gibson, but it's still a damn good acoustic for the money. I'm a Gibson acoustic addict, but I can't afford the 3K for another and yet another. I'd like to have an EJ-200 and their version of the Hummingbird or Dove. Plus, I'd like to get my fiancee one of those.. That way, it's always around for me too..

Oh definitely. My J200 is the artist model. totally devoid of mustache ornamentation and doodles on the guard and inlays. But she has excellent binding. for super cheap. LOVE IT.
Period.
Blackheart and Proud!
Cute V Pattern
...Use it. Liberally.
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know about Billie Joe Armstrong, but that's an Everly Brothers model you speak of.. If you see one for $750, grab it with haste, because they are generally worth 3 times that.

wayyyyy more than 3x, you are looking at 10k+ for a good EB! for a vintage that is!
HobosMandolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gibson j-180 acoustic