MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > The Custom Shop > Luthier's Corner
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Neck Angle Calculator Question

Hi

Any one ever used this calculator? Neck Angle Calculator - The Tundra Man Workshop and can tell me please if the "height of bridge" is when the bridge in his min' heigth (flat on the top)?
thanks!

BTW. I've seen all the worke you guys done here and they are all G-R-E-A-T!!!!
nhayun is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Neck Angle Calculator Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhayun View Post
Hi

Any one ever used this calculator? Neck Angle Calculator - The Tundra Man Workshop and can tell me please if the "height of bridge" is when the bridge in his min' heigth (flat on the top)?
thanks!

BTW. I've seen all the worke you guys done here and they are all G-R-E-A-T!!!!
if i can understand what you mean it is written...
"- The height of the bridge must also be entered. This distance should be measured from the top of the guitar, to the highest point on the string saddle. If the bridge is height adjustable, the measurement should be made with the adjustment at the lowest position (or close to the lowest if you want a little wiggle room.)"
theodoropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

tanks, let me clarify what i mean.
lets say my bridge hight is 15mm at the lowest position and i'm calculating the neck angle by bridge height of 15mm. will the lowest position of the bridge will be the final position of the bridge for proper string action?
that means that if i'll make a mistake and the neck angle will be smaller (lets say 3.2 instead of 3.5) i'll have a problem with the action (it will be high). so it will be the best thing to calculate the neck angle by the average height of the bridge, right?
nhayun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhayun View Post
tanks, let me clarify what i mean.
lets say my bridge hight is 15mm at the lowest position and i'm calculating the neck angle by bridge height of 15mm. will the lowest position of the bridge will be the final position of the bridge for proper string action?
that means that if i'll make a mistake and the neck angle will be smaller (lets say 3.2 instead of 3.5) i'll have a problem with the action (it will be high). so it will be the best thing to calculate the neck angle by the average height of the bridge, right?
i am not the most appropriate to answer.The common sense says you are correct.The guy who made this calculator had something else in mind.The logic says if you make smaller the angle the height must be lowered and if this is the lowest ,then you have trouble.So the correction will be done only when you have made the angle bigger..Try putting as you say the average height ...besides nobody makes the angle exactly as planned...
theodoropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have an excel spreadsheet that explains this a little better....

Its for neckthrus... but the principle applies...

PM me with your email and I'll send ya a copy.

BUT.. here's the jist of mine... its to calculate the neck angle for the neck WITHOUT the fingerboard on.

When building a neckthru you have to cut the neck break angle at the neck to body join and then install a shim over the body....

but here's how it works..

you take the thickenss of your fretboard, the height of your frets and your string action height, add this together and then subract if from your bridge. This gives you the heigh that the bridge would be if there were no fretboard on the guitar.. This is necessary because the bridge sits on the guitar face, and the fretboard is glued onto it, making the surface of the frets higher in relation to the body... Then the program calculates the angle and gives you a measurment that you use to create the neck drop angle.

The neck drop is the distance from a horizontal line drawm from the guitar face to the nut, that the nut sits BACK from this line. This creates the clearance necessary so that the bridge does not have to be recessed into the body (as on a carvin neck, where there is no break angle)

This guys program works the SAME way..

You put your ACTUAL bridge hieght in and then the program does the subtraction of the fretboard thickness, etc, and gives you the angle you need to make everything work when the fretboard is put on.

His calculator may actually be a version mine, I give it out freely and it was posted years ago on the MIMF....

You want to build a "Fudge" factor into the guitar... you can always RAISE a bridge... but you cant lower it past the surface of the guitar!!!!!!! I use 1/16th of an inch additional bridge height that the bridge actually is!

If this ls clear as mud, let me know and i'll help ya through it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"I've been hit with a metal chair so many times that the top of my head smell like ass!"
H.E.L.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeppers.................Clear as mud tp me lol.
Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote