MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > The Custom Shop > Luthier's Corner
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

vintage sunburst finish

I'm gonna build a J-45 style guitar and I want to do the vintage sunburst coloring. Is the best way to achieve this with stain or paint? The final finish will be satin.
Thanks, Greg
gadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: vintage sunburst finish

Don't know that there's a "best" way. Shops use spray. Stain is much easier to control but has a more "organic" look, imo.

"Never, ever, ever sell your gear...unless it's left handed and to me."

The difference between me and a luthier is I know how to build something that looks like a guitar and has six strings. I have no idea how to build a good guitar.

1959 LP Replica Build #1

The Modern '59, PRS, and LP Builds #2, 3, & 4

Flying V Build #5
kfowler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I guess I should just try it on a scrap piece and see how it turns out. I just hate to buy all this stuff and never use it.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I guess I should just try it on a scrap piece and see how it turns out. I just hate to buy all this stuff and never use it.
Have you ever stained or used a sprayer before?

If not, there's a great thread on here by Gator Payne on doing a burst with staining. I use his technique and it works well. Especially for feathering it in by dipping your fingers in water.

There's several videos on sunbursts being applied. I've never tried it as I've been staining and then spraying with clear. My perceptions is you just don't have a lot of margin for error with a spray.

The difference between me and a luthier is I know how to build something that looks like a guitar and has six strings. I have no idea how to build a good guitar.

1959 LP Replica Build #1

Flying V Build #5
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've used stain and a sprayer on alot of different furniture/craft builds before, but never on a guitar. This will actually be my first acoustic build...I've got a couple of foreign built acoustics, but my desire for an American built guitar, love of working with wood, and lack of funds to buy Gibson (I have 8 month old triplet boys lol) has led me to this build. That's why I'm prying yall for info! I will check out some videos and look at the thread by Gator Payne! Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Stains sprayed straight onto your wood gives a much better look IMHO but it works for me. You can normally spray the stains suspended in the clear to give you a shader coat and you mormally only mix in a maximum of about 10% but I have broken the rule a few times and have added 30% as it gets the colour on quick but then again I am too impatient to build the colour up I want it there and then, but again this works for me. Using a shader method is like covering your wood with a piece of glass and then adding a colour to it so it doesn't penetrate the wood it just sits on it and although it isn't wrong to my eyes the whole effect is lost. What you can do is apply your stain to the wood till you have the desired colour spray a clear coat over it to lock it all in and then apply a shader coat to give the whole guitar more of a uniform colour. Now as I stress again this works for me and may not be what others do but if it helps try it.
Kammo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's one:

Hand rubbed stained wood burst

1959 LP Replica Build #1

Flying V Build #5
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammo1 View Post
Stains sprayed straight onto your wood gives a much better look IMHO but it works for me. You can normally spray the stains suspended in the clear to give you a shader coat and you mormally only mix in a maximum of about 10% but I have broken the rule a few times and have added 30% as it gets the colour on quick but then again I am too impatient to build the colour up I want it there and then, but again this works for me. Using a shader method is like covering your wood with a piece of glass and then adding a colour to it so it doesn't penetrate the wood it just sits on it and although it isn't wrong to my eyes the whole effect is lost. What you can do is apply your stain to the wood till you have the desired colour spray a clear coat over it to lock it all in and then apply a shader coat to give the whole guitar more of a uniform colour. Now as I stress again this works for me and may not be what others do but if it helps try it.
I'm not clear on what you mean by 'shader coat'. Could you try to explain it again? Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kevin thanks for reposting that tutorial! A lot of great info there! Also, the guitar you put at the end of that was beautiful! Very nice job!
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

a shader is a clear medium such as clear lacquer that has had a stain, dye or light amount of pigment added to it to provide color. It's usually referring to translucent colors. I classify paint as an opaque colored medium; paint makes solid colors. Paint bursts are fugly. Usually. Don't use paint! lol
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Definitely think about doing a hand-rubbed finish. They look great and I think you don't need a lot of fancy tools. This is what Gibson used before they sprayed the colors.

Here is some inspiration for you:

Ducati is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

hand rubbed is easier for sure. it looks different than a lacquer burst, but most people wouldn't be able to tell.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szlash280z View Post
it looks different than a lacquer burst
It does look different, but very beautiful.

I would go with a hand rubbed burst finish and then spirit varnish. Very old school finish tecnhique with no spraying.
Ducati is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ok yall convinced me! It will he a while before I get to that point, but I like to know what direction I'm headed before I start a project. Usually if I don't whatever I'm building either doesn't get finished or winds up looking like a mess! Thanks for the pics!
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Kevin thanks for reposting that tutorial! A lot of great info there! Also, the guitar you put at the end of that was beautiful! Very nice job!
Funny things is I just re-stripped that top and re-stained. I didn't get the outer edge as much orange as I wanted. The clear was also rattle can and had some imperfections. I wanted to redo it with the sprayer.

I've got it stained and resealed. I'm just waiting for it to warm up enough to spray clear. Maybe this weekend.

1959 LP Replica Build #1

Flying V Build #5
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Be sure and post us some updated pics when you get it done! I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say we never tire of looking at guitars--especially hand made!
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Be sure and post us some updated pics when you get it done! I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say we never tire of looking at guitars--especially hand made!
I should have some by this weekend. I've got some progress pics. I do regret I forgot to take a pic of it after I double stained.

1959 LP Replica Build #1

Flying V Build #5
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Both of my other acoustics have light colored tops...one atika spruce and rosewood back, and the other cedar top and mahogany back. They are both bound with light colored bindings. For this build, I'm seriously considering using some beautiful walnut that I already have for the fretboard, the bridge, and maybe even the pickguard. I was also considering cutting some of that out and using it for the bindings. This would give the guitar alot darker look when i stain it in a burst finish. I guess I'm really leaning toward more of a tobacco burst than a sunburst. I just want something different than what I already have. How do yall think that would look?
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Well, when I look at the Gibson site, their True Vintage J-45 calls it a "vintage sunburst", but I've always thought sunburst would be brighter colored...but that's just my opinion. There's so many different bursts it's hard to keep them all straight!