MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > The Custom Shop > Luthier's Corner
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

string nuts and string spacing question

Hi everyone, I'm still in the design phase of my first build and i was wondering a couple of things:

1. What is the most common string spacing for electric guitars(low E to high E and the strings in between)? My design so far is 25" scale 42mm width at nut and 56mm at 24th fret.

2. I'm not sure about filing a nut so i was looking at roller nuts or something already grooved for strings. Anyone have any advise for this?

Thanks for all the help, Jim
Jim Engen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: string nuts and string spacing question

I have a roller nut on my strat and it works incredible. It is perfect.
lespaul01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Engen View Post
Hi everyone, I'm still in the design phase of my first build and i was wondering a couple of things:

1. What is the most common string spacing for electric guitars(low E to high E and the strings in between)? My design so far is 25" scale 42mm width at nut and 56mm at 24th fret.

2. I'm not sure about filing a nut so i was looking at roller nuts or something already grooved for strings. Anyone have any advise for this?

Thanks for all the help, Jim
Honestly.. I have never measured the space in between the strings at the nut...

I simply cut the E's 1/8th in from the edge of the fretboard then use a string spacing rule to space out the strings....

but.. if your nut width is 42mm, you will most likely put the strings in 3mm from each edge.. thus leaving 36 mm between the OUTSIDES of the e strings..

which is pretty much the dimensions of an LSR roller nut....1 11/16" wide.. which is just a tab bigger than 42 mm and comes with shims..... but they aint cheap...

Get your fingerboard cut for a fender style nut in 25" scale and you'll be good ta go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"I've been hit with a metal chair so many times that the top of my head smell like ass!"
H.E.L.Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Before the Stew mac nut ruler.. I used a Formula to figure my string spacing...

Like HEL shane, I marked my outter "E"s about an 1/8" in from the edges.. this gives you good clearance from string to the edge of the board.

Then I measured that distance and divided by 5 ( 1 less than however many divisions you want to end up with) that gave me the CTC distance between Strings.. then I eyeballed for the String gauges.

but the stew-mac nut ruler totally outdates that idea.
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use the 1/8 off the edge for bass E and 3/32 for trebel E and use the Stewmac nut scale as well.

The only roller nut I have ever seen did not have the ability to adjust the roller height. which meant that you had to adjust the bottom of string height at the nut by adjusting the nut slot depth. Not a good way in my opinion. now there may be roller nuts out there that allow you to adjust the roller height but I have not seen them. It would be cool if there are as i love roller bridges. Now the nuts I have seen the center of the roller shafts were in the center of the nut which meant tha you had to trim a standard fretboard short at the first fret so that the break point of the string would be in the proper position. This is not a big deal but you need to understand that you need the center of the rollers to be at the proper position in relationship to the first fret or you are going to have boo-oo intonation issues. you just cant slap one in as a replacement nut for a conventional nut.
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't upload it but here's a handy pdf you can print out for compensated string spacing.
Unread 05-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator payne View Post
I use the 1/8 off the edge for bass E and 3/32 for trebel E and use the Stewmac nut scale as well.

The only roller nut I have ever seen did not have the ability to adjust the roller height. which meant that you had to adjust the bottom of string height at the nut by adjusting the nut slot depth. Not a good way in my opinion. now there may be roller nuts out there that allow you to adjust the roller height but I have not seen them. It would be cool if there are as i love roller bridges. Now the nuts I have seen the center of the roller shafts were in the center of the nut which meant tha you had to trim a standard fretboard short at the first fret so that the break point of the string would be in the proper position. This is not a big deal but you need to understand that you need the center of the rollers to be at the proper position in relationship to the first fret or you are going to have boo-oo intonation issues. you just cant slap one in as a replacement nut for a conventional nut.
Does this mean you can't use the roller nut with an angled back headstock? It doesn't ride over the nut correctly?

Jim
Jim Engen is offline   Reply With Quote