MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Historics & Reissues
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pickups for a Beano tone?

I'm trying to nail the Clapton beano tone. One area I'm not sure what to get is the pickups.

Anyone have any advice on the most suitable pickups to emulate the tone (outside of paying for original PAF's that is)?

Current
1980 Black Les Paul Standard
2013 Joe Perry VOS R9
2013 Benchmark R0 Atlanta Burst
2013 ES335 TD '63
2001 Ibanez Jem

Marshall AFD100
Marshall 1962 HW 50th Ann
Blackstar HT1

Loved and lost:
10 R0 50th
12 R9
06 r7 goldtop
09 r9 50th #77 heritage cherry
05 JPP #140 Custom authentic
Fender CS Strat Pro RW SB
Fender CS 69 Relic RW SB
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special
Marshall Vintage Modern
Marshall 1974x
Sunbury les paul man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbury les paul man For This Useful Post:
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Pickups for a Beano tone?

Gibson:Les Paul Limited Edition 'Beano' 1960 Standard VOS (HB275C), Antiquity Burst, New, Inc. Case & COA, Gibson Les Paul, Solids product details : Guitar Village UK | Guitar Village UK

Buy a Beano, you know you want to
79standard, ed1996 and marcarco like this.
"Music means. It is brimful of meanings that will not translate into logical structures or verbal expressions. In music, form is content, content form … In ways so obvious as to make any statement a tired cliché, yet of an indefinable and tremendous nature, music puts our being as men and women in touch with that which transcends the sayable" …
-George Steiner

“Play guitar like you don’t know how to play guitar.”
- Miles Davis
Occultapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah I think I'd rather cutomise an R0 though

Does look damn sweet I'll grant you...

Current
1980 Black Les Paul Standard
2013 Joe Perry VOS R9
2013 Benchmark R0 Atlanta Burst
2013 ES335 TD '63
2001 Ibanez Jem

Marshall AFD100
Marshall 1962 HW 50th Ann
Blackstar HT1

Loved and lost:
10 R0 50th
12 R9
06 r7 goldtop
09 r9 50th #77 heritage cherry
05 JPP #140 Custom authentic
Fender CS Strat Pro RW SB
Fender CS 69 Relic RW SB
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special
Marshall Vintage Modern
Marshall 1974x
Sunbury les paul man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Buying a "Beano" reissue will not ensure you get that sound. There is some controversy regarding EC's signal chain when it comes to that sound. We all know he used a Marshall 1962 model combo (what would later be called a Bluesbreaker), but there is some ado about whether or not he used a Dallas Rangemaster. We all know his guitar was a vintage burst. That is another wide and varied topic with many opinions. There isn't any one PAF "clone" pickup that will nail that tone exactly be it the "Beano tone" or any other guitar tone that was generated by a vintage Les Paul. You can get in the ballpark to be sure but only the real deal nails the PAF sound because it IS what created the PAF sound, and even at that not all PAFS are created equal. All that BS aside, Throbak's are HIGHLY regarded as being close to vintage PAF's as are Tom Holmes' pick ups, and on and on. YMMV.

Also Joe Bonamassa played with EC at the RAH and said he stood five feet away from Clapton and saw him nail the Beano tone with one of his strats....Which leads to the old argument of "tone being in the player's hands".

A daunting task sir. I wish you luck in reaching your goal. Find what makes you happy and I say it is the top!

Here's a good article IMHO Enjoy it and I hope it helps.

http://www.legendarytones.com/claptonearly1.html

Last edited by DHBucker; 02-15-2012 at 06:52 PM.
DHBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Buy yourself a Marshall and slap some Throbak SLE-101s in your Les Paul.

Pure heaven.
JMV likes this.
FennRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Magnet swap in those BB's.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

With all due respect. He asked specifically for suggestions for pickups that will help him get the "Beano" tone.....a magnet swap alone in BB's won't do it IMHO. Throbaks and a Marshall (preferably a 1962 combo with pre-Rola Celestions) will be closer but still no cigar....Okay here it is.....It will VERY tough and EXPENSIVE to even get close to duplicating that tone if possible at all. Pickups alone won't get it, amp alone won't get it....aaaaannnnnd he will "probably" need a Range Master with a germanium chip set in it. None of us are Clapton either..........Oh sure there are great and even pro players here for sure ( I tip my hat), but that tone has eluded a lot more players than I could count.
IMHO view this as an experiment or an exercise on finding YOUR tone that has elements of EC's and other players you admire but ALWAYS try to build your own tone and you will be "more" satisfied in the end.

My brothers, it ain't merely the gear....It's the player and his ears.....

Oh and fingers, and desire, heart, blah, blah....

EDIT: and for the record. I'm just an old hack guitar player. I'm nowhere near EC or many of you fine gentlemen, but I think I have a good ear and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it....ZIP.

Have fun! That is it!
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tone is really the player not really the guitar/amp. He had a pretty typical average tone to me but the playing is what makes it sound so good. Everyone raves about the Beano album tone but I never thought it was special at all. Everyone had that kind of sound back then. But it was his playing that made it so great. Guys seem to always get tone and playing mixed up.
Lowdown, babatube, Alex W and 2 others like this.
guitarmandp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
Tone is really the player not really the guitar/amp.
This.
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbury les paul man View Post
I'm trying to nail the Clapton beano tone. One area I'm not sure what to get is the pickups.

Anyone have any advice on the most suitable pickups to emulate the tone (outside of paying for original PAF's that is)?

Well, It looks to me like the OP doesn't want to spend a few thousand chasing that tone . He might get closer with some smaller changes in hardware and his playing style and attack . He might consider some NOS BB caps too since that was part of Clapton's sound . But maybe I am reading it wrong and he'd like to lay down 3-8K for an Amp and PAF's and still not get it . For a couple hundred or less those Magnets from what I have heard in my Beano and what i've read, the magnets are the biggest part of the change to the Beano pups. I recently did a side by side with OTPG pups in my 59 Replica and the Beano and they were very close . But they sounded great .
Hey for a few dollars and an hour of time , he might like what he hears.
But more than anything it was just food for thought for him.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

You're in London? Contact MLP member Stowburst if you want a custom-wound set.
LouieTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

Well, It looks to me like the OP doesn't want to spend a few thousand chasing that tone . He might get closer with some smaller changes in hardware and his playing style and attack . He might consider some NOS BB caps too since that was part of Clapton's sound . But maybe I am reading it wrong and he'd like to lay down 3-8K for an Amp and PAF's and still not get it . For a couple hundred or less those Magnets from what I have heard in my Beano and what i've read, the magnets are the biggest part of the change to the Beano pups. I recently did a side by side with OTPG pups in my 59 Replica and the Beano and they were very close . But they sounded great .
Hey for a few dollars and an hour of time , he might like what he hears.
But more than anything it was just food for thought for him.
Oh, don't get me wrong man. Any suggestion/change to help him get the sound he wants is valid in my eyes. I guess the point I was trying to make is that you can chase a tone and spend mega money on it but in the end you end up only partially satisfied. I was trying to say that it might be more satisfying to just go for his own thing with bits of other tones to create his own tone. To me that is far more thrilling than throwing down the coin of the realm is great amounts and still want more...But then again it is a never ending quest if you love guitar eh? I hope I didn't step on your toes because that wasn't my intention at all.
Robert Arthur likes this.
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledfloyd View Post
This.
"My brothers, it ain't merely the gear....It's the player and his ears....."

And...

"Also Joe Bonamassa played with EC at the RAH and said he stood five feet away from Clapton and saw him nail the Beano tone with one of his strats....Which leads to the old argument of "tone being in the player's hands".
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Tone is really the player not really the guitar/amp. He had a pretty typical average tone to me but the playing is what makes it sound so good. Everyone raves about the Beano album tone but I never thought it was special at all. Everyone had that kind of sound back then. But it was his playing that made it so great. Guys seem to always get tone and playing mixed up.
really? who else had 'that' tone before beano?
cryhavoc and MTwang like this.
journeyman73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Earthbranes nail the tone.
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

I know you said outside of a PAF's but do you think this is close? I'm always interested in another Beano brother's opinion looking for "that tone": Beano Tone?
Either way these PAF's are about 8.1k and I had the tone knob on about 5. If you think it is close that's a number I would shoot for on the bridge pickup.
767400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbury les paul man View Post

According to Gibson, the Burstbucker 1n and 2 br is the way to go.on my Epip 1960v3 I recently sold,plus my bluesbreaker, I could get close...
Gibson es-125
Gibson SG Special
Gibson LP Studio '60s tribute
Gibson '50s tribute Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Bc Rich Mockingbird Bass USA 1986
Marshall JTM45 combo
Gretsch 6160 Chet Atkins "Country Gentleman" amplifier
Marshall JVM210h
Marshall Class 5 head
epi Valve Jr head
Robert Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but in fairness people didn't have that tone back then because it was groundbreaking - although many came close fairly soon afterwards.

Somebody on this forum suggested tone was a function of everything in between the player's fingers and the listener's ears ( hardware) and that the technique and touch could be regarded as the player's voice. I like that myself, but its only a point of view.

There's people that have a far more qualified opinion than me, but I think EC's pickups were on the hot side for PAFs - possibly a bit bright, and I've not yet seen any evidence that he used a rangemaster other than a lot of talk commonly from people selling clones.

I think your efforts to establish specifics on hardware is entirely legitamite - best of luck with it.
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

NO ONE had that sound back then. NO ONE. It was ground breaking and the reason why the Les Paul was eventually reissued. You need to ask someone that saw Clapton back then or experienced the record when it came out to truly understand what a revelation it was.
It's hard today for some to understand why that sound is and was so important but its because it was the FIRST time anyone had played like that and recorded an amp at full tilt like that.
cryhavoc likes this.
Dr. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Brown View Post
NO ONE had that sound back then. NO ONE. It was ground breaking and the reason why the Les Paul was eventually reissued. You need to ask someone that saw Clapton back then or experienced the record when it came out to truly understand what a revelation it was.
It's hard today for some to understand why that sound is and was so important but its because it was the FIRST time anyone had played like that and recorded an amp at full tilt like that.
exactly - the reason why it is so often cited is because it was such a prime, early example of that magical LP/marshall saturated tone.

contemporaries pretty quickly seem to have joined in but i dont know if there is another recorded example of that tone in its full glory before then.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm just reading EC's autobiography. He used that Marshall amp, with mics set up far from the amp. His tone seems to follow him around. He played a Tele with Blind Faith, SG Les Pauls and 335's with Cream and the Strats with Delaney and Bonny. He could get that tone no matter what the set up...

It's HIM.

Try setting the tone knob around 6, the vol knob around 8. And adjust your pickups to get the best sound to your ear. There were NO aftermarket pups when that music was recorded, hardly any decent strings either. People used banjo strings for the high strings...commercial strings were wound and medium gauge. Ernie Ball introduced the modern rock n roll guitar string set in the 1960's...Check this link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Ball

It's the player, dude.

mark

"There are a million ways to play guitar." Les Paul

WWKRD - What Would Keith Richards Do -
my guiding motto in life, which explains a lot...
old mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

I know I ramble on about KT66 tubes, but I swear these are piece of the puzzle.
Mantis and dsess like this.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Brown View Post
...it was the FIRST time anyone had played like that and recorded an amp at full tilt like that.
I find that exceedingly hard to believe. Great stuff, but not unique, not even unprecedented. First commercially successful usage, maybe.
cooljuk, Lowdown and Robert Arthur like this.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Transducer Producer

Likely the first commercial studio recording taking creative advantage of it, ya. I'm with Riv.

Certainly, people were driving little amps to the brink at live gigs just to make the guitar louder, resulting in the same (though unintended) result.

Video Demos and More Below
www.re-wind.net ReWind Electric on Facebook Email Me
My name is James and I build PAFs. ~ I've disabled my PMs. I prefer emails or phone calls, please. Thanks!
cooljuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old mark View Post
I'm just reading EC's autobiography. He used that Marshall amp, with mics set up far from the amp. His tone seems to follow him around. He played a Tele with Blind Faith, SG Les Pauls and 335's with Cream and the Strats with Delaney and Bonny. He could get that tone no matter what the set up...

It's HIM.

Try setting the tone knob around 6, the vol knob around 8. And adjust your pickups to get the best sound to your ear. There were NO aftermarket pups when that music was recorded, hardly any decent strings either. People used banjo strings for the high strings...commercial strings were wound and medium gauge. Ernie Ball introduced the modern rock n roll guitar string set in the 1960's...Check this link;

Ernie Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the player, dude.

mark
mark,

i think that is true to an extent.

BUT, i do think gear can have an impact on tone AND playing style for even the greats.

in EC's case, i think his tone and playing were very different when he was playing an LP thru a kt66 based amp, for example. those amps just seem to sing and sustain more than his latter el34 based amps.

im thinking of things like fresh cream vs wheels of fire...LP/kt66 vs SG/el34. theres a lot more bluesy, long, sustained notes in the former vs the more aggressive playing that was more frenetic in latter cream.

anyway, thats just what my feeble ears seem to hear.

i DO remember joes quote though...perhaps just as impressive as the fact that he got beano tone thru his strat, it was thru his 57 twin reissue also - meaning e whole rig was nothing like his bb setup...fingers indeed!
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I find that exceedingly hard to believe. Great stuff, but not unique, not even unprecedented. First commercially successful usage, maybe.
i dont know if i buy this, i wasnt around then.

i dont doubt that people may have been ovdriving their amps, but who was getting FAT, singinging sustain with wide vibrato and musical feedback (essentially the quintessential lp/marshall tone) that way?

i dont mean to be argumentative, i am truly curious.
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

I just looked up the section in EC's autobiography in which he recalls recording Beano...he placed the mics far from the amp to get a live sound, used the bridge pup with the tone all the way DOWN, volume of teh guitar and amp all the way up.
He says he really liked the thin, high tone that Freddy King got, and he was surprised at how it recorded on the album. FWIW, the album was recorded using the whole band live, and it was basically one of their sets. They did the whole thing in 3 days.
The overloaded amp was the way he played on stage to get distortion and I believe he did much the same with the Yardbirds, as did Beck and Page.
Clapton says he brought the comic book to show how unimpressed he was with being a big time musician. He evidently was pretty moody and unreliable at that age,and he does say he gave Mayall a pretty hard time, till eventually he was replaced by Peter Green.
Clapton had-maybe still has-a lot of emotional baggage because of his childhood, all of which probably contributed to his music.
There was no special effects, no super pickups, nothing but guitar and amp and EC. And mic placement.

The book is Clapton-The Autobiography. Pages 72-73 reference this recording session.

mark
Lowdown, cnote and 79standard like this.

"There are a million ways to play guitar." Les Paul

WWKRD - What Would Keith Richards Do -
my guiding motto in life, which explains a lot...
old mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #28 (permalink)

Marshall JTM45 and Les Paul.
deepblue, Quill and Robert Arthur like this.

Last edited by SlyStrat; 02-16-2012 at 11:37 AM.
SlyStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767400 View Post
I know you said outside of a PAF's but do you think this is close? I'm always interested in another Beano brother's opinion looking for "that tone": Beano Tone?
Either way these PAF's are about 8.1k and I had the tone knob on about 5. If you think it is close that's a number I would shoot for on the bridge pickup.
Beano bro here and that's really good! Love your tone! Yep, that amp is fantastic!

Here's my take. Jtm45 combo clone/kt66(valve art)/celestion gold. My paf (clone) is about 8k and I had the tone on about 6. Unfortunately, I had the amp covered in blankets so I couldn't get the sustained feedback.

SoundClick artist: trees of tar - page with MP3 music downloads

dre
767400, Quill and Gator Slim like this.
dretot is offline   Reply With Quote