MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Historics & Reissues
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gibson custom shop order vs custom built guitar

Can you order a historic with custom specs directly from gibson? Are there any quality builders that can produce a les paul for the same price as a new historic 3500-7000? It seems most of the builders charge substantially more than a gibson.
tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gibson custom shop order vs custom built guitar

3500-7000 ?? No way you can build a good replica for under 20k-25k with decent electronics and plastic/hardware. For that amount of money I'd be looking at a conversion or a good Historic with a Makeover. IMO a replica won't be any better than an upgraded Historic and it will never be a Gibson.

This is a sensitive topic, if you want a Gibson then buy one and support them. You won't have any issues selling it later.
amiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
This is a sensitive topic, if you want a Gibson then buy one and support them. You won't have any issues selling it later.
Why a sensitive topic? I own and have owned numerous gibsons. I'm just thinking about getting some custom specs so I'm seeing what options are out there.
tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
3500-7000 ?? No way you can build a good replica for under 20k-25k with decent electronics and plastic/hardware. For that amount of money I'd be looking at a conversion or a good Historic with a Makeover. IMO a replica won't be any better than an upgraded Historic and it will never be a Gibson.
$20K-$25K?? I don't think he's talking about finding original Historic hardware, plastics and electronics. It sounds like he's just wanting a modern Historic Custom Shop model with a few changes or different specs.

I'm pretty sure Gibson won't do any changes unless you get with a Gibson dealer and do a Custom Order. Last I heard the Custom Orders had to be at least 25 guitars so unless you can find others wanting in on a Custom Order or a Gibson Dealer that wants to do it it will never happen. Even then it would cost substantially more than a regular Gibson Custom Shop Historic.

What different specs were you wanting over a regular Gibson Custom Shop Historic?
jlb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Why not find a nice used Historic and have a makeover done
to your specs?

Clarify on specifics that you want.
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,098 Times in 87 Posts

No one can say what the price would be without knowing the specs.

I'm not aware that Gibson does custom orders anymore, unless you're Steve Miller or Billy Gibbons. Best people to ask would be...Gibson.

I'd start by finding out who the luthiers are that built nice guitars for folks here, then send them your specs and ask for a quote.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
No one can say what the price would be without knowing the specs.

I'm not aware that Gibson does custom orders anymore, unless you're Steve Miller or Billy Gibbons. Best people to ask would be...Gibson.

I'd start by finding out who the luthiers are that built nice guitars for folks here, then send them your specs and ask for a quote.
I think they have started up doing custom orders again. On the Gibson Custom Facebook page, they frequently post guitars identified as special orders or one-offs. They recently posted an all-gold R7 with Bigsby.

But, I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.guitars View Post
Heaven forbid someone show a video of Audley Freed actually playing his Historic. Such nonsense might take away from the riveting conversations about Lifton cases and the tonal variations of glue...
weirdotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mr. Roman Rist could get you a kick ass guitar for a butt load less than 20k...
The Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

What? 25k?! Tom Bartlett does awesome ones for 6800. He can do all your specs. A MAX is like 25k.
Why does gibson need to be supported? Huge company versus small custom luthier. hmmmm?
ElectricMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Io Sono Mancino

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdotis View Post
I think they have started up doing custom orders again. On the Gibson Custom Facebook page, they frequently post guitars identified as special orders or one-offs. They recently posted an all-gold R7 with Bigsby.

But, I don't know for sure.
Yeah, the Custom Shop is doing custom orders. I looked into it, and there is a new'ish member on here named Riffs who had them do a custom "one-off" R9 for him. Maybe he can chime in with some details.
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

There Are many builders who make Replica's for well under $10K . But if you want PAF's and original Burst plastics and hardware you will pay big Time . But most Replica builds are well under 10K. There are builders Here on our site. look for them
I know from recent, personal, first hand knowledge, that Gibson Does in fact Take orders to do Custom Shop work. Once the Order is completed, it's 6-8 for the build . Unless they have something else they need to do. Than you have to wait your turn. The difficult part is Getting Gibson to offer you What you like and want . If your looking for a solid color ,or plain top , you'll have no problem . It's a bit more costly but you'll get everything you like within reason .

If you want a custom ordered Gibson ,it must be done though an Aurthized dealer Gibson does not sell direct . The stores take thier cut .
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMagick View Post
What? 25k?! Tom Bartlett does awesome ones for 6800. He can do all your specs. A MAX is like 25k.
Why does gibson need to be supported? Huge company versus small custom luthier. hmmmm?
Where can you get a Max for 25K ? they go for around 35 - 40K + now
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barker View Post
Yeah, the Custom Shop is doing custom orders. I looked into it, and there is a new'ish member on here named Riffs who had them do a custom "one-off" R9 for him. Maybe he can chime in with some details.
Yep I had a custom order done recently. I initiated the order in August of last year and received my guitar in January. I ordered mine from Guitar Center. You can speak with the platinum room manager at your local GC and tell him any specs that you want. He'll contact a Gibson Rep and get a price quote for you. I would say expect a wait time of anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Hope this helps.
Riffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
What? 25k?! Tom Bartlett does awesome ones for 6800.
Yes he does great work.

Quote:
A MAX is like 25k.
If you can find one for 25k please let me know.

Quote:
Please read my post 'carefully'. Do independent luthiers build Gibsons ?
amiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Please read my post 'carefully'. Do independent luthiers build Gibsons ?
I would think Gibson employees do, but that's his point. You mention supporting Gibson, he replied why does Gibson need support, and (I believe) he suggested supporting a local luthier who practices his art outside of the corporate mantle as a small business owner. There's obvious value in having these small guys local, especially since many of them are fine craftsmen and artisans.
cmh6122 and zeronalo like this.
dodger916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco View Post
Can you order a historic with custom specs directly from gibson? Are there any quality builders that can produce a les paul for the same price as a new historic 3500-7000? It seems most of the builders charge substantially more than a gibson.
You can find ALOT of builders who will build you a Les Paul/Les Paulish guitars for 5K and under. They just wont say Gibson on the headstock

Replicas with Gibson on the headstock will cost alot more and theyre overhyped. Youd be be better off with a good historic from Marks Guitar loft or some type of vendor like that.

I would personally go the Small Luthier route....much more fun. Besides Roman Rist and some others check out the DAG website. Lots of small builders there who make LP or LP style guitars.

Destroy All Guitars - the Boutique Guitar Renaissance has a Home
ptgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Gibson is desparate for money, they might sue you.
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
MLP Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Gibson is desparate for money, they might sue you.
#facepalm
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
MLP Sponsor

If you want to custom-order a Custom Shop Gibson, you certainly can do it. I have done several orders like that for customers, if you would like I can walk you through the process sometime.
chunchung0827 likes this.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

I asked a shop in the UK about ordering a one-off Gibson Custom and was told it is possible, but rarely worth the effort.

I'd be much better off, they said, buying the closest off-the-peg Custom and getting a local luthier to customise it for me.

If that simply wasn't good enough they said I should be prepared to pay 2-3 times the regular price (up front) and wait 6-9 months, plus however long it takes to ship the guitar to the UK.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

As long as there's no re-tooling involved then it's usually not a problem.

A R7 All-Gold with a Bigs' isn't an issue. I recently had a customer ask for a Non-Reverse Firebird with 3 Minis and a Bigsby in Carnival Red and Gibson came back with the ok pretty quick.

Ask for something beserk like a LP Custom with 5 single coils and a Firebird neck and you'll be swiftly told where to go.

You can have whatever you want, as long as Gibson say you can .

I wouldn't say prices are 2 or 3 times more than usual (Obviously depends on spec - you may have asked for something crrraaaazy!), not even 50% more in my experience
Dawsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Kid View Post

A R7 All-Gold with a Bigs' isn't an issue. I recently had a customer ask for a Non-Reverse Firebird with 3 Minis and a Bigsby in Carnival Red and Gibson came back with the ok pretty quick.

Ask for something beserk like a LP Custom with 5 single coils and a Firebird neck and you'll be swiftly told where to go.

I wouldn't say prices are 2 or 3 times more than usual (Obviously depends on spec - you may have asked for something crrraaaazy!), not even 50% more in my experience
Prices definitely aren't that high, at least not in the U.S. My custom order didn't cost anywhere near 50% more than an R9. Of course, I didn't ask for anything particularly crazy. They start with the base price for whatever model you're after, and then add upcharges for any spec you want changed or added.
Riffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Refugee View Post
Mr. Roman Rist could get you a kick ass guitar for a butt load less than 20k...
This statement should be in purple.

My bad, read too quick and thought it was Ed Roman being referred to here. Applogies to Mr Rist and the original post.

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
Blackstar ID:60TVP
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30

Last edited by KenG; 09-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
JMV

Send a message via Skype™ to JMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
This statement should be in purple.
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Kid View Post

The above brings up an interesting historical point. It is precisely because of Gibson's, as well as Fender's, unwillingness to build what the customer wants on a custom basis that companies like Jackson came into being. While the big boys said no to true customs smaller specialty companies said "if you can dream it, we can build it".
Really, whats the big deal about Gibson building a truly custom Les Paul? If other companies can do it then why not Gibson? For instance, although I would not personally order a LPC with 5 single coils as mentioned in the example above, why wouldn't Gibson build it if someone ordered it and were willing to pay for it? To me thats what a true Custom Shop is for, build what the customer wants.

Rudy
roodyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Where can you get a Max for 25K ? they go for around 35 - 40K + now
I thought one just went up the eBay for around 30.
ElectricMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
Purple because I misread the name and thought it was Ed Roman being referred to! Big Oops there on my part!
JMV likes this.

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
Blackstar ID:60TVP
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
JMV

Send a message via Skype™ to JMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
Purple because I misread the name and thought it was Ed Roman being referred to! Big Oops there on my part!
Gotcha! I knew that didn't make any sense.
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
I thought one just went up the eBay for around 30.
Link please , I didn't see it . IIRC most of the time "Max" guitars and the likes get pulled down by the FleeBay police . But , I'm always willing to look .
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I asked a shop in the UK about ordering a one-off Gibson Custom and was told it is possible, but rarely worth the effort.

I'd be much better off, they said, buying the closest off-the-peg Custom and getting a local luthier to customise it for me.

If that simply wasn't good enough they said I should be prepared to pay 2-3 times the regular price (up front) and wait 6-9 months, plus however long it takes to ship the guitar to the UK.
Yeah, but most guitar dealers in the UK are full of shit. What you wrote above is exactly the kind of unhelpful, piss on yer parade guff I'd expect to hear from the sort of douches that unfortunately inhabit a majority of guitar shops over here.

"Whats that? Custom order you say? On a Gibson?" [thought bubble: sounds like far to much work/bother for me]

"Wait, I've got a better idea! Instead of getting a custom order [/exactly what you want]. Let me tell you what you what you want instead...hmmm.. Oh i just happen to have this one on the shelf and it's exactly what you want + less work for me , everyones a winner!" [..and then customise it on your own time, fvcker]

Sorry, gotta little sidetracked there....

If your thinking of a custom order Gibson Wildwood Guitars is probably a good place to start, I didn't end up buying rom there, but I found Troy to be very helpful.
"Music means. It is brimful of meanings that will not translate into logical structures or verbal expressions. In music, form is content, content form … In ways so obvious as to make any statement a tired cliché, yet of an indefinable and tremendous nature, music puts our being as men and women in touch with that which transcends the sayable" …
-George Steiner

“Play guitar like you don’t know how to play guitar.”
- Miles Davis
Occultapus is offline   Reply With Quote