MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Guitar Lessons
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheHarleyMan2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

How often should I take guitar lessons?

I am planning to take guitar lessons for 45 minutes per lesson a week but don't know how many lessons I should take in all as in not taking any more lessons. I know it all depends on the person's learning abilities and on the lessons but I want to know a precise amount of lessons to take because they are a little pricey.
roberttkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How often should I take guitar lessons?

If I were you I'd take 30 minute lessons once a week.

The trick is finding a good teacher. Mediocre guitar teachers are a dime a dozen, great ones are really hard to find.
mcmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,135 Times in 181 Posts

I'm going to paste this from a thing I wrote in another thread..
Let's hope the original poster comes back this time though. The great thing about this pasting , is that it means I don't have to write it out all again...

'You can't say.
All according to how quickly you take it in..How much practise you put in and what the teacher is like and what he's giving you.
Don't try and cram because it wont work. You need to take it steady and go to your next lesson when you have understood and worked on what you have been set.
If you don't, you'll just end up with a pile of paper a foot high and not a clue as to what is at the bottom of the pile, because you will have forgotten it.

The most important thing though, is to put what you are learning into action and work on your stuff with a friend, or at a jam.

If you don't believe me, ... See you in six months when you return here and say... Bloody hell, you were right you know.

The secret is to pace yourself and that's not easy in todays instant success world.
Try a week and see what happens. If you've nailed it as far as understanding it, then go for weekly, if not go for every two weeks.
If the teacher tells you otherwise he's ripping you off.
With the best intentions in the world people think they can get it down in one week but inevitably something always comes up as you will find out.
It's much harder for adults, as obviously they have many commitments..Work. family.. etc etc.
If you are a teenager and as most teenagers have only their dick to keep, it may work weekly.. Who knows, try it out'
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I guess this is another one looking. Here is what i posted on another same thread;

Well, when I was 14 and bought my first electric guitar, (Gibson Bicentenial Firebird), Then at that time it was $30 a month for 30 minute lessons once a week. After 2 months, I learned 8 chords, the first 3 verses for each song Sweet Home Alabama, Do You feel Like We Do, Slow Ride, More Than a Feeling, Catch Scratch Fever and 6 bar chords G,C,D,E,F,B,A,Am.

Some of the explaination I was given was minimal and learned what each note for each chord as well as strings up to the fifth position. Every week I was frustrated because I wanted to learn more and after each lesson I learned what I was taught in 1 day so I had to wait 6 more days before I could get something new to learn. Generally the first 10 minutes of each lesson was my playing what I learned the week before so the instructor could teach me something else. Generally speaking, the new stuff written for me to learn towards the middle to end of the 30 minute lesson was a couple of chords written down for me to learn. So all in all my lessons was about 15 minutes of reality rather than 30 minutes of learning something.

During that time tablature books started to come out and guitar magazines started coming out and printing tablature songs in them. I dropped the lessons and started investing in tablature books and I learned 5 complete songs in 1 week rather than spending 2 years giving someone money to teach me the 5 songs I learned at the rate I was being taught. Then I started buying music books learning on my own and going from there.

I played in a band in my late teens jamming with some other players which also helps in learning to playing better. After getting into drugs and almost ruining my life I sold everything I had by the time I was early 20's, then I cleaned up my act and joined the service.

Then about in my early 30's I started getting the itch to play, I bought another Firebird and amp started to get back into playing, but I wanted to learn some other stuff. I went to a KNOWN music school here in Austin and then at that time it was $40 a month for 30 minute lessons once a week. After going to the music school I had a teacher who had to tend to his personal business, ie, phone calls for future students, girlfriend, wife or whomever, and on my nickle during my lesson!!!! I had to wait on him several times, and of course when my lesson was over his next student had to come get their lesson So after a month of lessons I went to the owner's wife of the school, (who was running the place and scheduling students to teachers), I told her the situation and she had booked me with her husband instead who owned the school. Then I decided to pay for an hours lesson each week for a month. The first lesson with him was good and he spent some time with me. After that "on my nickel and time" he would have to leave the room, my lesson and go out and answer a phone call, go to the bathroom, get some paperwork, got to run to the restroom, etc. Now during this time, "On my nickel and MY HOUR" everything he had to do to leave the room tend to something else was in no benefit to me of what I was paying for which I actually got about 30 minutes of lessons and paying for an hours worth. I told him about it and he told his wife not to bother him, but then again, there he was out the room to tend to something else. He is a good player and knows his stuff as he is a music teacher at UT in Austin, but my experiences with guitar teachers, the time they actually spend with you, "providing they don't leave the room into 30 minutes" during your lesson they actually give you a 15 minute lesson of something you want to learn. Most of the 30 minutes will be more so on talking about bands, what kind of music you want to learn, etc, etc which should be covered in your first lesson if you want to learn a particular song.

I am not knocking guitar teachers here or anywhere. My best advice to give you would be buy as many books to read and teach yourself how to play and the tablatures books of bands, do what I did, get yourself the Ibanez Rock and Play, it plays cassette tapes and you can slow the pitch down, play the tape and learn the song of your favorite band you want to learn. You will not only learn more, but will also get more bang for your buck. If you are wanting to learn to read music and more technical stuff that are not in the books or if they are in books but you don't undestand the writting. I would recommend hooking up with a music teacher that teaches theory, and how to read music notes.

If you are old enough to attend places like Atlanta Institute of Music, or Musicians Institute, then I would take that route, but those schools I believe you have to have some knowledge of guitar and it is also an associates degree course which is a 2 year course and costly at that.

Understand people who are at music store teaching guitar, bass, whatever, they are there to make money and truthfully 30 minutes to a student is certainly not enough time, and take my experiences as an example. I am not the only one who has had experiences with these type of teachers who don't spend an actual 30 minutes to teach someone something.

Like I said I am not knocking guitar teachers, but the 9 that I had over the years really didn't teach me anything that I couldn't find in a book for $30! And if you do end up taking lessons and if the teacher says he has to go to the bathroom during your time and your nickel, then surely let him/her know they should have gone before your lesson started, after all if you can sit there for 30 minutes, then so can he/she. Also shop around for a really good teacher before you go to the first one and dump your money.

Like I said, there is a lot of books worth looking at and also take that into consideration.

Cheers and good luck!!!
QuicksilverSS likes this.
TheHarleyMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bought this series:

Learn Guitar on DVD | Guitar Lessons at Home | Acoustic & Electric

It was $149 and it is 20 DVD's and the format of the lessons and the takeaway assignments and workshops are on point and keep you focused on learning everything you wil need to know in order to master the how and why of playing. This isn't necessarily going to teach you how to play your favorite song of the week, rather it will give you all the tools you need to go figure that out yourself.

I am normally a skeptic when it comes to these internet sold guitar courses and most of them are complete horseshit. This one however, is solid and I really can't say enough about how well put together and delivered this training is.

I believe they offer a money back guarantee if you dont like it. So, if you have $149 give it a shot. It will be MUCH cheaper than in person lessons.

HTH,
Bill
2007 Gibson SG Classic (Cherry)
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (Faded Cherry)
2008 MIM Fender HSS Strat (Black)
2009 Dean Stealth (Two Tone Silver Blast)
2006 Martin D-35

Speakers\Amps
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 Head
Marshall Vintage Modern 425B
Peavey Transtube 258 EFX
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think when you have free time U can practise . Because When you play a long time . Your skill 'll be increased !!!
vinhseo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhseo125 View Post
I think when you have free time U can practise . Because When you play a long time . Your skill 'll be increased !!!
Riveting post old chap!
gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher View Post
Riveting post old chap!
What are you talking about man? It had me spellbound!

--------------------------------------------------------
"All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks"

colchar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I bought this series:

Learn Guitar on DVD | Guitar Lessons at Home | Acoustic & Electric

It was $149 and it is 20 DVD's and the format of the lessons and the takeaway assignments and workshops are on point and keep you focused on learning everything you wil need to know in order to master the how and why of playing. This isn't necessarily going to teach you how to play your favorite song of the week, rather it will give you all the tools you need to go figure that out yourself.

I am normally a skeptic when it comes to these internet sold guitar courses and most of them are complete horseshit. This one however, is solid and I really can't say enough about how well put together and delivered this training is.

I believe they offer a money back guarantee if you dont like it. So, if you have $149 give it a shot. It will be MUCH cheaper than in person lessons.

HTH,
Bill

It really is a great system.

"All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks"

colchar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher View Post
Riveting post old chap!
So u have any recommendations on instructional DVDs?

N.E.C.I
Unread 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenote View Post

N.E.C.I
Hi homenote, long time no see. Check out the Lick Library instructionals. They are pretty good for learning just about any song and there's a few of them that are centered around theory. Check out Jamie Humphrey's Fretboard Navigator.

How's that Max treating you, btw?

/gc
gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenote View Post

N.E.C.I
My personal recommendation on this one is... don't bother. I bought 2 or 3 a few months ago, and they're gathering dust now.

My problem with them is that you can't ask it to explain the lesson in a different way, or do that again, a little more slowly, or go off on tangent, say, into different chord voicings. And of course there is no feedback, like "try it this way too...".

I've very recently started taking some lessons, and I can't describe how much more I'm get out of a 30 minute 1:1 with a person, than sitting on my arse watching the telly and trying to follow on.

I really thought I'd get along fine with the self-learning thing, and maybe I would have, but I know I'll do way better with a teacher.

It's quite interesting actually, walking into his house for the first time taught me that I'd become a little bit of a gear snob, because he pulled out a knackered old nylon string acoustic and I thought WTF But then of course he started to play it. Gear snobbery vanquished

Again, just my personal thing, YMMV.
DrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 1,135 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG View Post
My personal recommendation on this one is... don't bother. I bought 2 or 3 a few months ago, and they're gathering dust now.

My problem with them is that you can't ask it to explain the lesson in a different way, or do that again, a little more slowly, or go off on tangent, say, into different chord voicings. And of course there is no feedback, like "try it this way too...".

I've very recently started taking some lessons, and I can't describe how much more I'm get out of a 30 minute 1:1 with a person, than sitting on my arse watching the telly and trying to follow on.

I really thought I'd get along fine with the self-learning thing, and maybe I would have, but I know I'll do way better with a teacher.

It's quite interesting actually, walking into his house for the first time taught me that I'd become a little bit of a gear snob, because he pulled out a knackered old nylon string acoustic and I thought WTF But then of course he started to play it. Gear snobbery vanquished

Again, just my personal thing, YMMV.
Drew is right.
OK it's great to get a DVD if you can already play to a certain level and want to simply lift a few ideas, but for a beginner there is no substitute in having one to one lessons with a good teacher, because as Drew said, they don't explain why!! And that is the operative word.

You get some guy talking about a 1--4---5 sequence.
Great if you happen to know what he's talking about , but to many beginners and more advanced players even for that matter what the hell is 1--4---5 sequence?
Many of these vids jump in somewhere in the middle and consequently thousands and thousands of players out there can play pieces parrot fashion but in reality have no idea what they are really doing.
OK let's put it this way. If I taught you what the numbers were from 6 to 60, you'd think great! Look how many numbers I know...Until that is someone asks you to count from 1 to 5. ..Oh shit!.............
And therein lies the problem with many players.. They know bits of the puzzle, but have never been taught how to build a framework starting with the straight edges.
I see it all the time in the music biz..Guys that think they are pretty hot because they have the gear, the right trousers and fifty AC/DC and Van Halen solos under their belt, only to be devasated in seconds flat when some of the pro guys I know might simply say something like.. In Eb..Use you ear..Latin feel..Solo...

...Boom! 'Goodnight son'..

Two simple words shattering three years spent practising you-tube licks in front of the mirror.

It's a bit like going for flying lessons and knowing how to do a barrel roll, an Immelman turn and a loop, but when the tower calls 'Can you come in to land please,' you radio back (surmising you know how to work the radio)....... 'How the **** do you do that?.
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

I would never buy anything from Learn and Master Guitar for the way they're astroturfing the internet with fake "review" sites that appear to be objective, and surprise surprise, LMG always comes out on top. It's just deceptive to have comparative advertisements masquerading as independent reviews. Try googling "learn and master guitar review" and find anything that isn't directly sponsored by them. Good luck! The only independent reviews I could find were on harmonycentral and there the consensus seems to be that (1) their marketing is sleazy and manipulative, and (2) the course itself is good for absolute beginners if you can get over the New Age cheesy atmosphere in the videos, and (3) the course ends before you get to an intermediate level. As such it fails the many self-taught guitarists who feel they're stuck in a rut. I really don't need another course that starts off by naming the strings, then moves on to basic chord shapes, and in week 5 introduces me to the wondrous world of barre chords.

A company I do like a lot is Truefire. I think licklibrary is great too and I intend to become a member in the future, but where Licklibrary focuses more on learning specific songs or styles of artists, Truefire is more about developing general skills or learning different styles of music. Anyway, check it out for yourself, since for every course there's several videos you can watch for free. There's really something for every level and every taste, and all the instructors on it that I've seen so far are amazing, both as players and as teachers. Every course comes with jam tracks and pdf files that you can print out. Something I also like about Truefire is that they have various 10-week "night classes" that keep you on a schedule. I think it makes it a little bit easier to stick to your own goals.

I do agree that having a live teacher is good if you need that to keep you disciplined. But it's also a lot more expensive, and you can still waste a lot of time on bad teachers as well. Seems to me the best would be a combination of both -- mainly work with DVDs/streaming video, but 2-3 times a month meet with a teacher who can keep you on track.

Lastly, there's of course tons of good free stuff on the internet. I'm not talking about youtube -- where the structure is lacking -- but websites like Justinguitar.com and spytunes where a lot of the stuff comes for free (pretty much everything in the case of Justin). For myself though, I don't mind paying a bit more to have the better production and a greater variety of courses with truefire.

Last edited by BrazenPicker; 10-30-2010 at 12:20 PM.
BrazenPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

There's no compulsion that you have to learn this much in fixed time. Learn till you become better. Try not to use sheet music, as you can learn fast and more without using it.
mnuelreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttkey View Post
I am planning to take guitar lessons for 45 minutes per lesson a week but don't know how many lessons I should take in all as in not taking any more lessons. I know it all depends on the person's learning abilities and on the lessons but I want to know a precise amount of lessons to take because they are a little pricey.
The precise number is six. One for each string. After you've learned how to play all six strings there's really no point in further lessons so save your money. Your welcome!
drew365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

An hours lesson every fortnight for me....try to get in 2 hrs practice a day
Epiphone 1960 Tribute plus
Fender 60s CP Strat

'95 Marshall Jcm900 SL-X 2100
Marshall 1960A Cab
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
Fender Mini '57 Twin-Amp
Nilitara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
It really is a great system.
you can also get it on Amazon much cheaper.. $103.62 plus free (for me) shipping..

Amazon Amazon
stinkfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew365 View Post
The precise number is six. One for each string. After you've learned how to play all six strings there's really no point in further lessons so save your money. Your welcome!
I'd say seven lessons: one for each note.
One hour should be enough to find out all the different places one can play each note.

Oh... hold on, I forgot the sharps and flats... guess that means 5 more lessons, damn....

JonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Personally I take a lesson when I get stuck with something.

Since starting the guitar I've taken two. I was stuck for ideas for a couple of songs and solos and really needed someone to bounce things off who was better at the theory than me. Plus a fresh set of ears and a fresh perspective helped me to kick start the writing process again

Other than that, I find I do much better and retain things far more effectively when I figure them out for myself.
Someone showing me things just doesn't keep my interest or enthusiasm up and the idea of one lesson a week for the foreseeable future really doesn't do it for me at all

Of course YMMV
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

As many as you like.
Sloppy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote