MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Slash VOS

I was thinking of picking up a Slash VOS for my birthday, but is it worth it, i mean, I already have the USA...........
Velvet Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Slash VOS

bump
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nakleh

no. put the money in the bank.
2008 Fender Billy Corgan Signature Stratocaster
2009 Rivera K-Tre Marshall JCM800 4x12 Cab
2010 Blackstar HT-5 Head Avatar 1x12 Closed Back Cab

nakleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Roses View Post
I was thinking of picking up a Slash VOS for my birthday, but is it worth it, i mean, I already have the USA...........
I wouldn't. For the money, I'd rather have an R9 - closer to specs of actual 1959 LP PLUS long neck tenon. The fact that the Slash VOS doesn't have a long neck tenon makes that a deal breaker for me.
irunnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to armann

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunnoft View Post
I wouldn't. For the money, I'd rather have an R9 - closer to specs of actual 1959 LP PLUS long neck tenon. The fact that the Slash VOS doesn't have a long neck tenon makes that a deal breaker for me.
O.k I have to admit, what in the world is long and short neck tenon

Played Les Pauls 13 years and never thought about that....
armann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Copied from RecordingReview website:

"First a history lesson. Back in the glory years of Gibson, circa 1950’s to 1960 the construction method used to join the guitar neck to the body had a long tenon on it. Basically what that means is that the neck went all the way into and under the neck pickup cavity. The neck was longer than the fretboard. The “Bursts” and early Goldtops used this design and many players/collectors are convinced that this method adds sustain and clarity to the guitar by making it more stable and enhancing resonance.

So let’s fast forward. Until the recent Historic lines came out and now the V.O.S. series Gibson has never made the Les Paul the same way as they did in the “Glory years”. When they left for Nashville the Kalamazoo production was stopped and Gibson changed the neck join method. Now the neck falls short of the front pickup and the fretboard extends onto the body. There is a smaller amount of mass actually holding the neck to the body.

I really believe that the Long Neck Tenons are superior. The guitars are more resonant with better sustain and more clarity, less “muddy” sounding than the normal Les Paul line and have a better overall tonal balance. It is something you notice more as a player, I don’t think any one in the audience will know, they’ll just know your guitar sounds good. I can really tell the difference when comparing 2 guitars together, one with and one without the tenon. I think the added price is worth it for the improved tonal benefits."

If you get a chance to play a historic and a standard side by side, you will immediately hear the difference.
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also, if you already have the USA model, you'd basically be buying the same guitar. The major differences would be mostly cosmetic. If that's the case, I'd probably sell or trade the USA model and pick up the VOS just because I like the look of the VOS much better than the USA standard Slash model. However, if you already love the guitar you've got, I'd probably suggest you put that money towards an R8. For about the same money or less, you could have, IMHO, what amounts to a much better guitar.
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GibsonSlash

I would say, save your money and get the next goldtop slash signature
If you read a post & have nothing to add positive to the post in general don"t post. Move on to a topic that you would enjoy or start a thread yourself. We do not need smart ass remarks & off topic remarks just because the thread does not suit your interest .
Join your GoldTop here -> http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibs...top-unite.html
GibsonSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to armann

Thanks irunnsoft, good to know.

So do all the R series guitars have long tenon ?
armann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

no it isnt
155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

I say its your call and yours alone... Its an exceptional guitar for sure and if you think its a worthy addition to your arsenal then by all means go get it!

Proud member of Ireland's ShamROCKers!
Mikeeeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, if you already have the USA model, you'd basically be buying the same guitar. The major differences would be mostly cosmetic.
wow, sorry, but the USA and the VOS are very different. I own a USA, but played the VOS extensively in the shop before I bought the USA. It is very different to the USA. While the neck is advertised as also being a "slash profile" neck, it is different than the usa version. The VOS feel like a much more "solid" guitar, if that makes sense. maybe the weigh relief is different, I'm not sure.
The tonal qualities of the guitar are better, and picking it up, you know its a custom shop job rather than "just a standard", which is what's its originally based on.

As with any guitar purchase though, the advice has to be...Go and play one! only then will you be able to decide. Maybe bring your USA along with you in order to compare.

Last edited by ianhobo; 05-06-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
ianhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Also, if you already have the USA model, you'd basically be buying the same guitar. The major differences would be mostly cosmetic. If that's the case, I'd probably sell or trade the USA model and pick up the VOS just because I like the look of the VOS much better than the USA standard Slash model. However, if you already love the guitar you've got, I'd probably suggest you put that money towards an R8. For about the same money or less, you could have, IMHO, what amounts to a much better guitar.
Nowhere near the same. The VOS is clearly superior in almost every way but it should be for the extra $$.

As for the short tenon, I don't miss it. My '08 VOS is VERY resonant but that's hit or miss with any guitar. See the link at the bottom for a great explanation.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibs...tml#post145985

Where I'm hooked with the Slash models is the neck profile. That profile should be an option on every LP.

R8's are very nice too but they are a dime a dozen.
Wolf Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Child View Post
Nowhere near the same. The VOS is clearly superior in almost every way but it should be for the extra $$.

As for the short tenon, I don't miss it. My '08 VOS is VERY resonant but that's hit or miss with any guitar. See the link at the bottom for a great explanation.

Where I'm hooked with the Slash models is the neck profile. That profile should be an option on every LP.

I agree they are very different guitars..., but I would call the VOS superior. Yes it has more wood, but that doesn't make it better. I'd just say they are different. For me I prefer the USA to the VOS....

On a different note...the next set of slash guitars keeps coming up...does anyone have any real info on if / when / what new slash guitars are coming out.
LP Deluxe GT 73', LP Studio 92', SG Special 02', SG Standard 97', LP Special, 11', Slash USA Standard 08', SG 61' Reissue 08', Epiphone Appetite LP, Epiphone Bullseye LP, Gretsch G5129, Guild F45ce 83', Ibanez EX360, Epiphone LP Standard '06, Ibanez FRM100TR, Epiphone LP Peewee

Amps

Orange TH30, Marshall MA100, Fender Blues Deville, Marshall Class5, Orange Crush35, Marshall ZW Microstack. Orange Micro Terror.

my band thickener :www.reverbnation.com/thickener
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10 View Post
I agree they are very different guitars..., but I would call the VOS superior. Yes it has more wood, but that doesn't make it better. I'd just say they are different. For me I prefer the USA to the VOS....

On a different note...the next set of slash guitars keeps coming up...does anyone have any real info on if / when / what new slash guitars are coming out.
I wish I knew...............
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

The next Guitar in the series is.......a replica of the one string Acoustic that Slash's Granmother gave him, it will be aged by Tom Murphy and made in the Encore Custom shop!!

1987 Wasburn USA
2004 Washburn Semi-acoustic
2007 Custom made Aged Les Paul w hot slag & rollin mill pups
2008 Slash Les Paul Standard with Luxe Bumblebee's

Blackstar HT -5 Valve
Marshall Class 5

Vox Tonelab ST

Drayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayke View Post
The next Guitar in the series is.......a replica of the one string Acoustic that Slash's Granmother gave him, it will be aged by Tom Murphy and made in the Encore Custom shop!!
AWESOME TO THE MAX!!
Unread 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Heres the prototype

1987 Wasburn USA
2004 Washburn Semi-acoustic
2007 Custom made Aged Les Paul w hot slag & rollin mill pups
2008 Slash Les Paul Standard with Luxe Bumblebee's

Blackstar HT -5 Valve
Marshall Class 5

Vox Tonelab ST

Drayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayke View Post
I'd but it
Unread 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

i have both the USA and the VOS.

the VOS is, imho, definitely a superior guitar as far as build quality goes. as someone else stated, it feels much more solid - obviously custom shop work as opposed to production line.

now, not to say the USA isn't a great guitar - since i've had them, i've definitely played that one more than the VOS. tonally, it's more agressive methinks. prolly a result of less wood - so it doesn't quite have the fatter tone the VOS has.

the neck on the VOS is pretty chunky - not too unlike my R9. if you like the profile on the USA standard, you might not care for the VOS. though, i tend to go for fatter necks - i really, really enjoy playing the USA.

up to you, dude! here mine are the day they came home from hollywood GC:

looooove the top on the USA.
aenemated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
i have both the USA and the VOS.

the VOS is, imho, definitely a superior guitar as far as build quality goes. as someone else stated, it feels much more solid - obviously custom shop work as opposed to production line.

now, not to say the USA isn't a great guitar - since i've had them, i've definitely played that one more than the VOS. tonally, it's more agressive methinks. prolly a result of less wood - so it doesn't quite have the fatter tone the VOS has.

the neck on the VOS is pretty chunky - not too unlike my R9. if you like the profile on the USA standard, you might not care for the VOS. though, i tend to go for fatter necks - i really, really enjoy playing the USA.

up to you, dude! here mine are the day they came home from hollywood GC:

http://aenemated.com/curl/1207096637.jpg

looooove the top on the USA.
I love the top also, I'm maybe just gonna get the goldtop sig, cause I love that thing, if they make one
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

I know the guitar is different with regards to how it feels and without trying to hurt the OP's feelings *the overall quality* so I was trying to make a point more towards the sound.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with CS everytime. I know they are better built and feel more solid, etc. However, given the pickups and the same situation with the neck tenon, I'd have to say that the overall sound should be close to the same.

Since he already has a Standard that I'm sure he loves, I didn't want to kick sand in his face and go on about ways that the VOS might be better.

Going back to the heart of the guitar - the SD's and the neck tenon should produce a tone that's very similar in both.

Anyhow, that's the point I was trying to make.

Party on, Wayne!
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Ummm......no, I don't think so.
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Ummm......no, I don't think so.
In comparison to a limited run of 400 they are. I can go to my local shop and play at least 4 R8's but they don't have a SVOS.

His window of deciding between an R8 and a SVOS could close itself in a short time.
Unread 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm sorry but you're just not going to be able to paint the entire Reissue 1958 series with the broad sweeping statement that they're a "dime a dozen". These are closer to being historically accurate than the SVOS (which is based on an 80's LP). The fact that the SVOS is limited makes it just that - limited. It doesn't relegate the entire line of R8's to being a dime a dozen.

In time, the 2006 and, in particular, the 2007 R8's and R9's are going to be esteemed as some of the best the CS has put out in a long time. They had some of the best wood going into those '07 R8's and R9's that I've seen.

Granted the SVOS is a limited run, but, that also doesn't make the R8's a dime a dozen. It also doesn't make the SVOS a great guitar, either. A few years ago, Gibson did some limited runs of a Jerry Douglas reso and it was a piece of crap that you couldn't have paid me to own!

I must respectfully disagree.
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

I just meant that there are a lot of them........ Cuz there are.
Unread 05-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Even though they both have S.D's and short neck tenons, I think we all might agree that the best wood selections, and craftsmanship belongs to the custom shop.

That being said, Slash is using a USA model to Gig now and he says it's his favourite live guitar for quite some time.

Droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
... here mine are the day they came home from hollywood GC:

Hey, did you buy them on April fool's, the day they came out? I was there that day and I bought the other one (they only had 2 VOSs that day at GC).
Commtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

yessir, i did. i take it you must've been the guy ahead of me? i was #2 in line and they told me the other VOS was spoken for, so i was lucky i stopped in before grabbing lunch.
aenemated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GibsonSlash

You guys are lucky to have the VOS!

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the VOS is missing the pickup selector head?

If you read a post & have nothing to add positive to the post in general don"t post. Move on to a topic that you would enjoy or start a thread yourself. We do not need smart ass remarks & off topic remarks just because the thread does not suit your interest .
Join your GoldTop here -> http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibs...top-unite.html
GibsonSlash is offline   Reply With Quote