MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
V!N

2009 Les Paul Standard Faded guitars (C*V Guitars - Larry Corsa)

As some of you who have had the pleasure of dealing with C*V Guitars know, Larry Corsa is a class act. Fast, friendly and very thorough in his answers. Also, he as a sweet tooth for sweet guitars and would bend over backwards to get his clients the best guitars at the best prices, even if that means taking the time and effort to "revive" a discontinued model.

The model I am talking about is the Les Paul Standard Faded. Announced to be discontinued in 2007, but still produced in 2008 and 2009. Apart from Larry's shop, I have also seen 2009 Fadeds for sale on eBay and if my memory serves me well, also on Gbase. There currently is one on eBay with an remarkably low weight (7 lbs. - 4.8 oz) the other ones that I have seen on there from the same seller were mostly high in the 8 lbs. or low in the 9 lbs. territory.

Larry has been so kind to allow me to quote him from our correspondence. He even included a big e-mail with all the things he found out just today ! He has not had the time yet to update his page with the information, so we are getting the scoop here. All the quotes from Larry will be in Orange Italic.

The "PG Mod" guitars that Larry is selling are not your avarage Fadeds. Larry takes the pick of the litter and turns them into Peter Green / Gary Moore Les Pauls at a price that anybody can afford. Nearly all the hardware and electronics are replaced with high quality parts, including Faber "State of the pArt" parts Manalishi Pickups. Just look at the huge list of Standard features, left to the list of the new 2009 PG Mod Standard Fadeds: C*V Guitars - "PG Mod" Guitars

In the Archives of SOLD guitars, you can see all the PG Mod guitars from 2007 and 2008.

As to weather or not the Standard Faded is discontinued or not ? I have never seen them go away, but I suppose I just happened to look at the right places on eBay, Gbase and C*V Guitars. This is what Larry told me:

Gibson announced they were discontinuing the Faded in 2007, but continued to make them through most of 2008. As of 2009, Fadeds ARE absolutely discontinued. The only ones you will see are from the same batch as I have. The '09s that are advertised on eBay by bizarre-guitars are from the same batch as the ones I have.
You can use my name there and what I say when talking about Fadeds. Most people on that forum know who I am. I do not know everything, and Gibson is apt to change something here and there, but there is no one on the planet who has more direct experience with Fadeds than me. Also, if not for me, there would be NO 2009 Fadeds available. I committed to half the amount that were made, which is only 150 total (50 in each color), of which I have 15 Cherry, and will be getting 30 each in Honey and Tobacco. That is the only reason the dealer ordered them. I hope that sales will be good enough to buy more in the future.

It caused a bit of a stir when I let you know that the '09 Fadeds are cheesed instead of chambered. The mahogany body slabs are not chambered like the 2008 Standard, but have a total number of nine weight relief holed drilled into them, just like the "Les Paul Traditional" and the "Traditional Les Pauls" (1983-2007). Often, this type of weight relieving is referred to as the "Swiss Cheese Method."
Larry and I talked a lot about this. I have composed the most relevant bits of our correspondence on this subject below.

The first new LCPG guitars are in and can be seen on the website. They are all Cherry Burst. Honey and Tobacco will start arriving in a few weeks. These guitars are NOT chambered. I was not expecting this, so I am having my dealer check with Gibson about it. I am having him find out if the either the Honey or Tobacco are still early enough in production to see if they can be chambered.

The order was placed by an authorized Gibson dealer who I got my guitars from before. I did not specify chambered because I thought, like the '07 & '08, they would just all be chambered. ALL USA Les Pauls, except one particular model, since sometime in late 2008, are CHEESED, not CHAMBERED. Gibson decided to make chambering a special thing, to be found only on the "08 Standard" model, at an additional cost. Not all Fadeds from 2008 were chambered. Sometime after the last of the 2008's I had, they were cheesed.*

The '09s that are advertised on eBay by bizarre-guitars are from the same batch as the ones I have. I have no explanation for the 7 lb. 4.8 oz. guitar he has listed. My ONLY thought is that Gibson, to complete the order, grabbed a chambered body from the 08 Standard line, and MAYBE that one is chambered. Gibson is a factory, and will do whatever it needs to, or wants to do, to complete production.

Incidentally, I am trying to find out what the extra cost is for chambered guitars. If it is not insane, I will definitely specify chambered on any new orders that go in.

*I would like to add that the latest 2008 model I could find in the archives is LCPG-181, with serial#: 024080323 (August 28th, 2008)

There is one thing that I am sure you will find very interesting, the neck profiles.

Even after Gibson announced they were discontinuing the Faded in 2007, but continued to make them through most of 2008, they did not do 60's necks on ANY '08s. In fact, even in 2007 they said there would be no more 60s necks. I received about 25 with 60s necks after they said that, which was a total surprise, but they were the last 60s necks I have seen. That was, I believe, in October of 2007. I specifically asked the dealer to see if they would make this run with some 60s necks and they refused. So, I really do not expect to see any. But, when I get close to selling out of this run of 75, I will probably want to do more and will again try to get some 60s necks as part of it. I prefer the 60s neck myself and those I did have went quickly, so they are not a negative at all.

I am not affiliated with Larry Corsa, C*V Guitars, State of the pArt, Manalishi Pickups, Gibson, or the kitchen sink. I enjoy talking with Larry about guitars as much as I enjoy talking with anybody who is knowledgeable and passionate about the things they do.

The reason I shared this information with you is that a lot of things that are posted here on these matters are based on deeply rooted assumptions and rumours. Facts, that is what it is all about. Larry really knows his stuff and was more than happy to share these facts with me. I hope this helps to get some things straight.
madbluepaul likes this.
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Re: 2009 Les Paul Standard Faded guitars (C*V Guitars - Larry Corsa)

No doubt that Larry C. is a fine gent with great products. Ole'Lefty
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Cleaner

Without a doubt Mike.

Though if you already had this information I'm a little confused by your prior post?

Unfortunately the Internet though very helpful one can not hear the inflections in your voice as to how you are asking & or answering a thread.

Sometimes it's best just not to say anything.

Uhhh... did I just say all that?

Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

wow thats really interesting stuff.. especially that someone is requesting chambering. did he tell you the reasons why he prefers the chambered models?
YouTube atomicpilot.com Myspace Twitter
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

so are these new special run 2009 fadeds built to 2008 standard specs or prior 2008 specs?? Do they have pcbs?? long neck tenons??

I would jump all over a 2009 faded if it has the long tenon and no pcb....

Seems odd that Gibson would agree to resurrect a discontinued model for a 150 unit order and throw one chambered unit in the run for shits and giggles (the 7lb 4 ounce guitar referenced earlier has simply got to be chambered). Not to mention If I custom ordered a guitar from Gibson and specifically requested a non-chambered model only to see a chambered model show up, then that SOB would go right back simply because it's not what I ordered.

I thought fadeds were some of the top sellers before they were discontinued due to the slightly lower prices and if this one dealer put up a contract for 150 units, then I can only imagine what GC could put up. Thousands of units I would think.....

Are more of the 2009 fadeds going to be made in the future from other vendors? Surely other vendors would place orders if they new the model was still being made.

Quote:
ALL USA Les Pauls, except one particular model, since sometime in late 2008, are CHEESED, not CHAMBERED.
This seems odd. What about the studios? I have played about ten different Les Paul Studios circa 2009 and every single one of them was chambered. The Gibson site still advertises them as chambered. Same with the Supremes. Classic and Classic Antiques were still being made as late as November 2008 and they were all chambered as well.
Egnater Rebel 20 and Egnater 1x12 cab

"You said the brains I had went to my head!"
cme2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
wow thats really interesting stuff.. especially that someone is requesting chambering. did he tell you the reasons why he prefers the chambered models?
Yea I'm really interested to hear the reason why weight relieved would be the better choice????
FadedLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hburst_Les_Paul View Post
Yea I'm really interested to hear the reason why weight relieved would be the better choice????
Corsa has stated on his website that he believes the chambered Standard Faded's are consistently some of the best sounding LP's ever made.

I've dealt with Larry and have been happy with his stuff, but it's still just one opinion.
sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
LPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar View Post
Corsa has stated on his website that he believes the chambered Standard Faded's are consistently some of the best sounding LP's ever made.
Ya but we all know why he says that.

Because they ARE.

LPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
V!N

Don't misquote him.

In the soon to be updated FAQ, Larry puts it like this:

Quote:
Q. Why Standard Fadeds?
A. Because they are consistently the best sounding Les Pauls ever made.
Read the full FAQ on his site and keep an eye out for updates:
C*V Guitars - "PG Mod" Guitars
Unread 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V!N View Post
Don't misquote him.

In the soon to be updated FAQ, Larry puts it like this:

Read the full FAQ on his site and keep an eye out for updates:
C*V Guitars - "PG Mod" Guitars
It's called paraphrasing, which was done in context and clarifies the original text.
sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

Thanked 1,281 Times in 404 Posts

Larry owns a few "real" Bursts.... The man knows his stuff.

He is also an insanely fair dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/hardbargainband

http://hardbargainband.com/
Led Zep Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
LPV

I got the impression that he preferred the chambered ones after all that reading.

LPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zep Fan View Post
Larry owns a few "real" Bursts.... The man knows his stuff.

He is also an insanely fair dealer.
Yea I believe it-everything I read about the LCPG is great. I am definitely buying my first Gibson (currently have an epi LP) through him -first thing in the new year!! Can't wait!!

I know he's got a nice selection of tops available on his web site but does anyone know how frequently he gets new shipments in? I'm not trying to put my down payment on a top only to see a new arrival of a nicer one a week later...
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
V!N

I think he received pretty much all the Standard Fadeds from this years batch, but I'm not sure. You can drop him a line about it.
Last time Larry and I talked he was quite sure that there won't be any Fadeds produced after this batch.
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hburst_Les_Paul View Post
Yea I believe it-everything I read about the LCPG is great. I am definitely buying my first Gibson (currently have an epi LP) through him -first thing in the new year!! Can't wait!!

I know he's got a nice selection of tops available on his web site but does anyone know how frequently he gets new shipments in? I'm not trying to put my down payment on a top only to see a new arrival of a nicer one a week later...
He had a booth at the Philly show this past fall, with his LCPG guitars on display... They look even better in person.

Unread 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
He had a booth at the Philly show this past fall, with his LCPG guitars on display... They look even better in person.
I'm completely gassing right now for one!

I noticed on his website he's based out of Allentown which isn't THAT far from me. I sent LC an email asking if he has a shop where I can go and physically pick my top out....That would be awesome if I could.
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

He lives about 10 min. away from me. I'm sure he'll work out something with you.

Unread 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
He lives about 10 min. away from me. I'm sure he'll work out something with you.
did you say you were an LCPG owner?
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

I wish.... No $$$ for that right now.

Unread 12-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

im definitely buying my first lp from him.
Bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish.... No $$$ for that right now.
ahh i see...

I think I'm going to make the down payment this week....There's this beautiful cherry top that's still available and I'll be pissed if it's gone by next month (when I originally wanted to buy it). Also, after hearing there might not be any faded cherry LP's after this batch I'm ready to make this thing official ASAP.

What do you think aged pickup covers or zebra?
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

Here's a fave of mine:

Malikon likes this.

Unread 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

I like my hums covered.

Unread 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

I wonder if he'll give a discount to MLP members?
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

dammit all the ones i really love are sold
Bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
MLP Anchorman

Give him a call/E-mail, and tell him where you're from, where you saw the ad... Once again, he's a real good guy.

Unread 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
V!N

I like the one below a lot, the current owner should consider himself very lucky !
Great guitar, absolutely and at a great price as well.
You get a Les Paul that has been tweaked and upgraded to the max with better hardware
and electronics and still pay less than for a new and stock Les Paul Traditional !

Unread 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have been wanting a Gibson Les Paul for a long time. I have an Epiphone Boneyard Les Paul already but I have been wanting a real Gibson for some time now . I pulled the trigger on an tobacco faded LCPG just before Christmas and am awaiting it's arrival. I'm very excited about it. On a side note my wife makes cakes and made a guitar one for a little 6 year old girl's birthday today. I thought a few guitar enthusiasts may enjoy it so I am posting a pic of it. It's not of a Les Paul but it is a guitar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2783.jpg (37.7 KB, 18 views)
macgruff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
V!N

Hey Mac, thanks for sharing both things ! Your wife sure did a great job on that cake ! It reminds me of a Mosrite. I bet it was the talk of the party !

What is the number of your LCPG ?
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Not one of his... but I moded her after taking a look at his site (I flipped the neck pickup's magnet, but left the pickup in the original position as I like the look of it more that way).

BTW I've only heard good things about his guitar mods.