MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sunking420
  • 1 Post By TheImmaterial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gibson Les Paul 1960 Classic

Hi guys.
I'm new here, and I'm hoping to get some help conserning choosing the right LP...
I've read about the 1960 Classic... it has green inlays on the frettboard... and I think it says 1960 on the pickguard...
To me, it's one of the most beautifull guitars I've ever seen... and it is said it plays beautifully and sounds great... I do like the ide of having the 500t+496r pu's since I'm a fan of cheramic pu's.
Allso, I would prefere the slimmer -60 neck before the thicker -50 neck...
The thing is it's hard to find info on the 1960 Classic... Since I don't know much about all the LP models, for ex, what does Classic Plus stand for?

Can any of you guys tell the story on the Gibson Les Paul 1960 Classic?
Light, heavy or in the between ( chambererd or weight reduction drilled )?
Short or long tenor ( not sure about the word, but I hope you know what I mean )
How is it comparered to a Standard LP for ex?

Thanx in advance
Regards Ralle
Ralle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gibson Les Paul 1960 Classic

I have a couple and love em, although I ended changing the pickups. Some people here know better than me but they started making them in the early 90's. "Plus" refers to the maple top having some flame to it, "Premium Plus" being the most flame. Both of mine are plain top; honey burst and light burst. They are weight relieved (swiss cheese holes) but do have some weight to them and feel/sound very solid.

The new ones are not the same as the old ones, so watch out there. They have the maple fingerboard, although they look like great guitars and I may end up buying one.

The neck on the classic seems thinner than the 60's profile I have on a couple of my standards.

Good luck on finding our beast!
"Standard 82" Pre-Pre-Historic R9, 2003 Standard, 2007 Standard, 2011 Traditional plus, 2001 Standard, 2000 Classic, 2003 Classic, 1978 Pro, 2011 Studio Deluxe 60's, 2011 Studio 60's tribute GT, 2010 Faded Studio, 1991 LP Special DC, 1999 SG Standard, 2005 SG Classic, 2009 SG Classic, 2005 137 Custom, 2004 137 Custom, 2005 ES 165 Herb Ellis, 2000 Tal Farlow, 2000 Explorer, 2004 Explorer, 94 Custom Shop 54 strat, Eric Johnson strat, 2X 2000 62 avri tele designer, 2X 2000 avri 52 tele + 30 more...
TheDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

They have been discussed on here quite a bit but searching for the threads isn't easy.
Put "Les Paul Classic 1960" and you get a ton of other unrelated stuff.

So here ya go

Dino Velvet and Skatterbrane provide excellent info here

All sorts of Classic love going here

A bit of info here

Some great pictures here.
And some very good info

Great guitars. Good luck on finding yours
Clyde Billt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Skinnier 60s neck
Slimmer 60s style headstock
Greenish inlays on the later 90s-2000s
Weight-relief drilled pre-2007
Chambered 2007 onwards (some mid 2006 might be chambered too).
Uncovered super hot ceramic pickups
1960 on the pickguard
Classic on the truss rod
Some say les paul model and some say les paul classic on the headstock
Some of the early 90s were made in the custom shop
Ones with flame tops are known as classic plus or premium plus depending on flame
Generally plain tops.
Serial number is in a weird more vintage inspired format so don't try and read the manufacture year in the same way.

Don't confuse it with the classic-antique which came out in 2007 and is chambered, has uncovered 57 classic/57classic+ (lower output) pickups, white inlays, flame tops, bound headstock with a leaf inlay and classic on the truss rod.

They've also recently reissued the classic which comes with a baked maple board instead of rosewood, white inlays and you can get it with a flame top.

Think that's everything. Hope it helps
TheImmaterial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

It sure has... Thanx alot guys.
Allthough I have a lot more questions for ya, I will try to find as much info on the reccomended sites as possible...
I'll keep on looking...
Thanx
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have one made in 2000 and it has become my main Les Paul out of the four I own, including a very sweet R8. I bought this as a backup Lester and never used it. The action was crap and I hated the pickups. I loaned it out to a friend who thought he wanted to learn to play. Needing money I offered to sell it to him for the $1500 I paid for it on eBay. He couldn't swing it, so I gave him a cheapie Tele in it's place and tried to sell it. No one wanted it although they loved the top. I decided to try to turn it into a player. Raised the action, no more buzzing...Changed those hated pickups to Seymore Duncan Pearly Gates....Plugged into my Vintage Modern 100watt head and the sound....Nirvana!!!!!! It has a great neck, and I happen to love the ugly green fret markers. Recently looking through the "Beauty of the Burst" book, and quite a lot of them have "greened" markers. The guitar is a beautiful Honeyburst with a Premium Plus top, flame,grain,flecking,an island.....just amazing figuring on it. Originally it came with pickups that were covered, the SD' are now open double whites. The headstock says classic as well as the truss rod cover. It plays and sounds as good as my R8. Get one, they're way underrated.....
Classicplayer likes this.
sunking420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like the snot green inlays.....

OK, so I'm wierd.............
major is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
I like the snot green inlays.....

OK, so I'm wierd.............
Hey..
I also like the snot green inlays

I'm not weird though.
However that doesn't mean to say that you're not.
Clyde Billt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

To me the green inlays makes the impression of the guitar much stronger... I allways liked the looks of a Custom, but now I'm tatally sold on the Classic with the green inlays... it needs to be with the pickguard though... don't like the ones without it...

So far there's three major things that, for me, speaks out for the classic;

1. The neck; I want the -60 slim neck ( based on playabillaty... eaven if a -50 neck may sound better )
2. The body; assuming it's a 9 hole weightreduction drill, and NOT chambererd... I soly base that on what I've read and heard other people say, so... I guess that would be a pre 2006, right?
3. The pu's; I know I'm going to get bugged about this one, but anyway...
I'm a huge fan of cheramic pups... I have a Dimarzio Super Dist-78 in my Strat ( perhaps I should mention that I'm growing very tirerd of the strat... I've been wanting a LP for a very long time now ) and it's one of the best pups I've ever played... so the 500t and 496r feels very attractive to me right now...

There's one more thing I need to learn more about; The long vs short tenon ( right word? ) for the Classic...
Where can I find info on that? Differences and impact sound wise, if any?
A friend of mine just happend to mention that reacently...
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralle View Post
... it needs to be with the pickguard though... don't like the ones without it...
You do ? Really?
That's ...

Quote:
The long vs short tenon ( right word? ) for the Classic...
Differences and impact sound wise, if any?
Sold my LesPaul-type guitars with a long tenon, because my Classic PP has got the better sound although having just the "normal" (short tenon) set neck joint ... so ... some say Yes - some say NO ...
When I've started with MIJ LesPauls that spec seemed to be one of the most important distinctive features compared to Gibsons ... in the meantime I think:
It's nice to have ... but not essential ... just my 2 cents ...

... stay tuned ...
classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

He he... it's not that I think they're ugly... I just think the look better with the pg on... allso depends on what finnish they have... That one look great, but would look better with a pg... to me... guess it's just a matter of taste
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Classic is by far the best guitar I've ever came across short of a vintage '59 I had the pleasure to play once. It's a 2000 and is not chambered but has the infamous "snot green" inlays. I don't mind it much. It does have aftermarket pickups in it (Duncan '59 set at the moment although it changes all the time) but everything else is stock parts. I really love it. I call it my "Poor Man's 'Burst". I've done the covered neck/uncovered bridge ala Jimmy Page as well which I also like tonally as I am an uncovered humbucker kind of guy.

I highly recommend an older Classic as a Les Paul to get. Mine will go to the grave with me and it will always be my #1. Her name is "Ruby".

Last edited by gibsonguitar1988; 07-02-2012 at 06:39 AM.
gibsonguitar1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Would a 1960 Classic, made pre 2006, have either long or trans. tenon?
I read the Norlin thread, and it says something about changing from long to trans. tenon in -68 -69... and from trans. to short tenon after -75...
This info regarded Custom LP's, but it looked like it was an overall issue about most, if not all LP's...
Does this inclued the reissues ( in fact, does a 1960 Classic, made in 2005, count as a reissue? )
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

The 2000 Classic I have is my favorite of the three humbucking guitars that I own. It has the greenish inlays which to me, are at time attractive when the light hits them just right. After three years I took out the hot ceramic pickups and put in Duncan '59s and later on some Orange Drop caps, two more accurate tone controls and that's it! It is the guitar you see in my avatar. It is Honeyburst with a variegated top which really changes its' color in direct sunlight......really striking in appearance.

Classics get lots of good comments on this forum; so read up on them.

Classicplayer
Classicplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

I love my red Classic plain top.
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

When I bought my classic I didn't even realise it had different coloured inlays
Ralle likes this.
TheImmaterial is offline   Reply With Quote