MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
  
Like Tree234Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
River side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

It's not about $22 - because the guitars are so overpriced to begin with.

And that's OK - because it's an iconic piece, available from no other manufacturer.

But to downgrade the materials and expect anyone to still consider it "iconic" is what I find troubling.

You guys can go 'round and 'round the mulberry-bush as many times as you like regarding who created "the problem" - but just remember that they will still sell you a guitar with an ebony fingerboard - so long as you are now willing to pay MORE for it.

As I've said many times already, it doesn't sound like a bad thing for them, actually.
River side is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MyLesPaul.com
   
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

i would like to go back to the beginnings of gibson and see who decided ebony was the best fingerboard wood--- who decided that? did they test it scientifically or did they just use it because it was easy and available? just curious
__________________
Life Is A Garden-Dig It!--Joe Dirt
It's the Freakin Catalina Wine Mixer!
Play it like you Hate it!
brokenarrow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
River side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow5 View Post
i would like to go back to the beginnings of gibson and see who decided ebony was the best fingerboard wood--- who decided that? did they test it scientifically or did they just use it because it was easy and available? just curious
They may have had no better reason than hundreds of years of other fine instrument makers using it in their instruments...

Traditional, don't you know.

For whatever reason they used it, they sold the idea hard for many years - and now are happy to say that pressed paper is just as good.

Maybe it is - it likely is - but for some, there's a stink of hypocracy in the abruptness of the change and the implication that there's nothing they can do about it.

Except, of course, when a customer wants to pay more for it.

They can get you the good stuff for a price.
River side is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by River side View Post
For whatever reason they used it, they sold the idea hard for many years - and now are happy to say that pressed paper is just as good.
Prove to me that it isn't. It's smooth, durable, and it won't crumble when I have it re-fretted.

Did Fender have this kind of backlash when they switched to poly? No, seriously.

Quote:
Maybe it is - it likely is - but for some, there's a stink of hypocracy in the abruptness of the change and the implication that there's nothing they can do about it.

Except, of course, when a customer wants to pay more for it.

They can get you the good stuff for a price.
How are you so certain that if I were to call Gibson Custom Shop right now, they would make a Les Paul Custom with ebony? Maybe I'll send Gibson an email tonight and see.
Malchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
River side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

^ You continue to miss the point - that is, that the high desirability and the price that commands were in no small part due to the idea that the guitars were made of only the best/finest/exotic/difficult-to-source/whatever materials that only a company like Gibson could bring together.

I personally believe that most of the folks who buy guitars (and remember now, they say they ship 2500 per week out of the Nashville plant alone) don't know squat about how it's made or what it's made of - and don't care.

That's really too bad for those who can and do care - but apparently that segment of the market can go screw.

I'll bet you a Stew-Mac Ebony fretboard blank that you can buy a brand-new Gibson with an ebony fretboard. For the right price.

Just like you can still buy a Fender with a nitro finish. (As if they didn't always use Fuller-plast undercoats...)

For a price.
River side is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by River side View Post
^ You continue to miss the point - that is, that the high desirability and the price that commands were in no small part due to the idea that the guitars were made of only the best/finest/exotic/difficult-to-source/whatever materials that only a company like Gibson could bring together.
It's still subjective to what you think is better/best. I'm certain many would love a guitar with genuine ivory, but the supply isn't there, nor should it be.

Also, to some this new material could be the next coming of Christ. Durability means a lot to some consumers. I've worn through my nitro finishes before; I have yet to do so with a poly neck. And while we're on that subject...

Quote:
Just like you can still buy a Fender with a nitro finish. (As if they didn't always use Fuller-plast undercoats...)
And maybe we will be able to buy ebony equipped guitars in the future. Like I said, I'm curious if Fender got this kind of backlash back in the day when they switched in favor of a guitar finish that could survive years of friction and wear, much like richlite.

Quote:
I personally believe that most of the folks who buy guitars (and remember now, they say they ship 2500 per week out of the Nashville plant alone) don't know squat about how it's made or what it's made of - and don't care.
If only all guitarists were of the elite.

Quote:
That's really too bad for those who can and do care - but apparently that segment of the market can go screw.
Yeah, screw musicians who just want a guitar that plays and sounds great.

Quote:
I'll bet you a Stew-Mac Ebony fretboard blank that you can buy a brand-new Gibson with an ebony fretboard. For the right price.
We'll soon see. I send Gibson a quick email asking if they would supply an ebony board at an additional cost.

And just so we are clear, I want ebony on my Customs, but it doesn't change the facts at hand.
Malchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
River side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Try this one:

Gibson.com: Gibson 1955 Les Paul Custom Exclusives

"Custom by name, custom by nature, it was made with a gloss ebony black finish, ebony fingerboard with pearloid block inlays"

(Oh, and you still missed the point, even with the fancy multi-quote retort.)
River side is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
irocdave12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philly Pa
Posts: 442
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Here's my take on the Richlite saga....I've had it on a guitar and hated it. I had a economy Martin with it and when new it looks great and could be easily mistaken for ebony by an untrained eye. After a month of playing I started to see things I didnt like. Mainly what happens is on the strings you bend the most and the notes played the most the Richlite surface became almost polished from contact with the natural oils in your fingers. So what I had was a ugly fretboard in no time, shiny in some spots and the new black ashy look elsewhere on the board that didnt see the same wear. It by no means compares to ebony IMO. I may be wrong about this fact but I believe Richlite is recycled paper bits and epoxy mixed together and molded. And because of that fact I'm not convinced of its longevity. Usually glues and epoxys degrade over time and become brittle. So I'd have to wonder how it will refret in 10 years? This has just been my one year experience with a richlite guitar and I'm certainly not sold on its use on fretboards. I guess only time will tell how it holds up on these new Customs and will have to hear what the guys playing them think
__________________
"The Gibsons"
68 RI Vintage White
Les Paul Custom Ebony
Les Paul Custom Limited Sapphire Trans Blue
Alex Lifeson CS Axcess


"Hughes & Kettner"
Tubemeister 18 Head
Tubemeister 5 Combo

Last edited by irocdave12; 04-05-2012 at 10:32 PM.
irocdave12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by River side View Post
(Oh, and you still missed the point, even with the fancy multi-quote retort.)
Apparently I'm retarded. Maybe you should make it clear and precise so it can easily sink into my monkey cranium. Here's what I got from your posts:

Gibson is holding out on the ebony so they can put it on exclusives and jack up the price, while simultaneously pissing off it's historic fan base for good measure. That'll fix 'em.
Malchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
McLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: southern, ca. USA
Posts: 2,035
Thanks: 83
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

If no one buys the new Customs with Richlite, I guarantee Gibson will start making them with ebony again. The market will dictate what Gibson does in the long run. By the way, I would not buy a new Custom with Richlite. There are too many used ones for sale for it to be an issue for me.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

The next step for Gibson will be hardened chocolate pudding, mark my words.

You know how chocolate pudding (the real, cooked kind, not the funky instant stuff) gets that sort of a skin on it? And if you leave it out long enough it gets seriously tough? Apparently you can speed up the process by baking it, and it gives you an extremely smooth chocolate brown substance that's impervious to everything but reentry. If you mold it early in the process, you can churn out fretboards by the thousands. And it gives you that rich warm fudgy tone.

In short, this is Gibson headed down that Hershey Highway.
dspelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EvLectric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,480
Thanks: 195
Thanked 143 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspelman View Post
The next step for Gibson will be hardened chocolate pudding, mark my words.

You know how chocolate pudding (the real, cooked kind, not the funky instant stuff) gets that sort of a skin on it? And if you leave it out long enough it gets seriously tough? Apparently you can speed up the process by baking it, and it gives you an extremely smooth chocolate brown substance that's impervious to everything but reentry. If you mold it early in the process, you can churn out fretboards by the thousands. And it gives you that rich warm fudgy tone.
And smells great too! Makes you want to lick your fingers after a gig... Chicks dig it!
EvLectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thumpalumpacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hill Country
Posts: 61,884
Thanks: 1,381
Thanked 763 Times in 85 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdave12 View Post
Usually glues and epoxys degrade over time and become brittle. So I'd have to wonder how it will refret in 10 years?
Micarta is very close, chemically, to Richlite. Martin's been using it for a while now, and it seems to take refrets well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guitar Omnivore
Here are a few (OK a whole bunch of) photos from a recent refret on a Martin acoustic guitar that,instead of a wood fingerboard,had one made of Micarta. This material wears very well and with slight modification to my usual style,made for a pleasant refret job.

Guitar Omnivore: Refretting a Martin Micarta Fingerboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fretter's Workbench
The fingerboard on this guitar is also micarta. I'll say this for the non-traditional material; it's a joy to re-fret. There's never any chipping of the fingerboard to tend to when pulling the frets and I don't ever have to level it as it doesn't warp. I just need to clean up the grime that's gotten under the frets before I start installing the new frets.

And they go in like a dream, nice and easy. I've almost got them all in and on an ebony fingerboard I'd still be leveling it. This is going fast.

I'll use my Taylor Fret Buck to support the delicate fingerboard extension as I finish installing the frets.

Done and done! The frets are all in, leveled, crowned, and polished and it went fast and easy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R16NPWY8X4...0/P1010025.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R16NPWY8X4...0/P1010027.jpg

The Fretter's Workbench: Martin Re-Fret, Nut, And Saddle
Both Micarta and Richlite are impregnated phenolic resins. Micarta uses recycled wood as a matrix, Richlite uses paper pulp. I'd be pretty surprised if Richlite was very different in refretting considerations. Perhaps one our techs here has first-hand experience refretting synthetic fingerboards?
nick1962 likes this.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EvLectric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,480
Thanks: 195
Thanked 143 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdave12 View Post
Here's my take on the Richlite saga....I've had it on a guitar and hated it. I had a economy Martin with it and when new it looks great and could be easily mistaken for ebony by an untrained eye. After a month of playing I started to see things I didnt like. Mainly what happens is on the strings you bend the most and the notes played the most the Richlite surface became almost polished from contact with the natural oils in your fingers. So what I had was a ugly fretboard in no time, shiny in some spots and the new black ashy look elsewhere on the board that didnt see the same wear. It by no means compares to ebony IMO. I may be wrong about this fact but I believe Richlite is recycled paper bits and epoxy mixed together and molded. And because of that fact I'm not convinced of its longevity. Usually glues and epoxys degrade over time and become brittle. So I'd have to wonder how it will refret in 10 years? This has just been my one year experience with a richlite guitar and I'm certainly not sold on its use on fretboards. I guess only time will tell how it holds up on these new Customs and will have to hear what the guys playing them think
I unknowingly checked out a Richlite Martin, & I found it to be one of the deadest sounding acoustics I'd ever heard. I complained that the strings were dead, & they let me change them. In doing so, I noticed some strange shiny/not shiny marks on the board, and asked what was up. While looking up specs, the store owner commented that the original owner complained about it sounding dead, even with new strings. When we found the specs, that's when we all realized it wasn't ebony, but Richlite. New strings helped, but three days later, it sounded dead again. And for the record, I like my strings a few days old. Just my experience.
Electric Funeral likes this.
EvLectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
budg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLectric View Post
I unknowingly checked out a Richlite Martin, & I found it to be one of the deadest sounding acoustics I'd ever heard. I complained that the strings were dead, & they let me change them. In doing so, I noticed some strange shiny/not shiny marks on the board, and asked what was up. While looking up specs, the store owner commented that the original owner complained about it sounding dead, even with new strings. When we found the specs, that's when we all realized it wasn't ebony, but Richlite. New strings helped, but three days later, it sounded dead again. And for the record, I like my strings a few days old. Just my experience.
But, can you attribute the dead sounding guitar to the Richlite , or are you just speculating?I have tried a guitar or two that sounded dead that had either rosewood or ebony boards .I seriously doubt the fretboard had much , if anything to do with it.Something else is going on .
Bountyhunter and AxeBuilder like this.
__________________
Guitars
2013 Fender American Standard
2012 Gibson ES 335
2007 59 Thinskin Strat White Blonde
2013 Martin D-18
1997 Martin D-1
2011 Martin D-35
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
budg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
murmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 585
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

I would send that custom with the richlite board back.
If they use richlite on the midtown or the cc, thats okay for me. These are budget guitars that are built to deliver good tone at a resonable price.
The so often mentioned Martin Guitars, are they using richlite on their high end models?
No, they are using it on their entry level and the cheapest solid back and sides guitars (up to the 16 line). If richlite was a true innovation it would appear on the high end models first.
__________________
Guitars:
10 AFD USA, 06 LP DC Pro Trans Amber, 07 LP R8 Faded Tobaco
08 LP VM worn brown, 08 LP Custom ebony, Ibanez RGD320 WH
07 American Strat Maple Neck Sunburst, ESP Eclipse
07 American Deluxe HSS Strat Mapl. Montego Black
81 Ibanez Destroyer II DT-400 (the only guitar left from my teenage days)
AMPs:
Mesa Boogie Triple Recto, Fender HR Deluxe Texas Red
Marshall: Class 5, JCM 800 2203KK,JCM 800 2203ZW
Line6 POD X3, BOSS GT 10, Engl E530 Preamp
http://www.myspace.com/murmelrocks
murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rockstar232007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Born and raised in South Detroit...
Posts: 10,941
Thanks: 263
Thanked 87 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmel View Post
I would send that custom with the richlite board back.
If they use richlite on the midtown or the cc, thats okay for me. These are budget guitars that are built to deliver good tone at a resonable price.
The so often mentioned Martin Guitars, are they using richlite on their high end models?
No, they are using it on their entry level and the cheapest solid back and sides guitars (up to the 16 line). If richlite was a true innovation it would appear on the high end models first.
Actually, when any guitar manufacturer experiments with new materials, they ALWAYS "test the waters" with the lower-end models first. For this very reason.

And, from a tone/look/feel POV, they're (Ebony vs. Richlite) virtually identical, so...
__________________
"If LPs were women, Epis would be the gold-diggers; Most of them are beautiful, but just end up taking all of your money!" - Me
(So, I quoted myself! Big whoop! Wanna fight about it?!)
rockstar232007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JB6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 287
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar232007 View Post
Actually, when any guitar manufacturer experiments with new materials, they ALWAYS "test the waters" with the lower-end models first. For this very reason.

And, from a tone/look/feel POV, they're (Ebony vs. Richlite) virtually identical, so...
It may look the same brand New , but after a year or more of playing a Richlite board they develop dull and shinny spots where you fret on the board.
Sound the same , i don't think so either.
Ebony is bright with a nice snappy top end , i did'nt hear that with a Richlite board after playing a few of them compared to my BBR7 . The Ebony still had more snap in the notes when playing solos.
__________________
Soldano HR100+
EVM12L & Celestion speakers
Performance custom made guitars from Hollywood,Ca.
2007 Gibson Smartwood LP chambered

Gibson's i wish i still own:
1998 Ebony Standard
2001 R8 Butterscotch
2001 R7 tranparent Red finish
2003 R7 Goldtop
2003 R7 Faded Cherry LPC
JB6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
themightyjaymoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 658
Thanks: 28
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Still no photos?

OP, pics or it did not happen. It's a guitar that has spawned 3 pages worth of posts that we still haven't seen. If you need help on how to post pics there are several posts that explain in detail. Again, can I please see some photos?
Joeydego likes this.
__________________
Les Paul and Blackstar for life.
themightyjaymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
murmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 585
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar232007 View Post
Actually, when any guitar manufacturer experiments with new materials, they ALWAYS "test the waters" with the lower-end models first. For this very reason.

And, from a tone/look/feel POV, they're (Ebony vs. Richlite) virtually identical, so...
They start at the lower end when they are testing substitutes.
When they are testing innovations that happens at the upper end.
Electric Funeral likes this.
__________________
Guitars:
10 AFD USA, 06 LP DC Pro Trans Amber, 07 LP R8 Faded Tobaco
08 LP VM worn brown, 08 LP Custom ebony, Ibanez RGD320 WH
07 American Strat Maple Neck Sunburst, ESP Eclipse
07 American Deluxe HSS Strat Mapl. Montego Black
81 Ibanez Destroyer II DT-400 (the only guitar left from my teenage days)
AMPs:
Mesa Boogie Triple Recto, Fender HR Deluxe Texas Red
Marshall: Class 5, JCM 800 2203KK,JCM 800 2203ZW
Line6 POD X3, BOSS GT 10, Engl E530 Preamp
http://www.myspace.com/murmelrocks
murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #81 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EvLectric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,480
Thanks: 195
Thanked 143 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by budg View Post
But, can you attribute the dead sounding guitar to the Richlite , or are you just speculating?I have tried a guitar or two that sounded dead that had either rosewood or ebony boards .I seriously doubt the fretboard had much , if anything to do with it.Something else is going on .
Speculating, I guess (see what I did there? ), but it wasn't one of those sideways plywood things they make.
I don't get the fingerboard wood having no effect on the tone though. If the fingerboard was sponge, you'd notice, & if it were glass you'd notice, right?
I realize I'm exaggerating here, but just making a point.
Thumpalumpacus likes this.
EvLectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thumpalumpacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hill Country
Posts: 61,884
Thanks: 1,381
Thanked 763 Times in 85 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLectric View Post
Speculating, I guess (see what I did there? ), but it wasn't one of those sideways plywood things they make.
I don't get the fingerboard wood having no effect on the tone though. If the fingerboard was sponge, you'd notice, & if it were glass you'd notice, right?
I realize I'm exaggerating here, but just making a point.
The fingerboard does have an effect.

The Martin 12 I played above was one of the best-sounding twelves I've ever played, and I've played and owned a few. As much as I love twelves, one thing I don't care for is the tinkliness most have. I'm not talking "shimmer", which they should have given the proportion of wound to unwound, but poor bass and low-mid response is far too prevalent in 12s. The Martin noticeably lacked that. It had deep bass and a sweet, chewy midrange.

I can't say that it was the fingerboard or even the neck (it had one of those Stratabond necks), but it's hard for me in my mind to separate the two phenomena. I definitely want to play more Richlite Martin (that was only my second) and try to narrow down the possible causes.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #83 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
budg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLectric View Post
Speculating, I guess (see what I did there? ), but it wasn't one of those sideways plywood things they make.
I don't get the fingerboard wood having no effect on the tone though. If the fingerboard was sponge, you'd notice, & if it were glass you'd notice, right?
I realize I'm exaggerating here, but just making a point.
Ah , but you missed my point (sort of).I didnt say the fretboard had no effect on the tone, but that I doubted that the deadness you experienced had any connection with the fretboard material. There are so many other factors it could have been. The fretboard material has a smaller effect on tone than the other factors.Many people who have played strats will swear a maple board is brighter than a rosewood board, but nearly as many will swear the rosewood is brighter.However if they did a blind test they probably wouldnt pick the maple one out with any accuracy.
__________________
Guitars
2013 Fender American Standard
2012 Gibson ES 335
2007 59 Thinskin Strat White Blonde
2013 Martin D-18
1997 Martin D-1
2011 Martin D-35
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
budg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LesPauI+SG=Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fire and Water
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 59
Thanked 154 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

If you have to ask if it's Richlite or Ebony...























































































Then obviously it is not a problem if you cannot tell the difference.
Joeydego and Thumpalumpacus like this.
__________________
LesPauI+SG=Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ginger Beer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slightly out of phase
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 53
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

In my opinion...the custom historically has served as the crown jewel in the very prestigious and very expensive Les Paul line. As such, a man made kitchen countertop material like Richlite has absolutely no business being used as a substitute for Ebony regardless if it looks and sounds the same or not. Period. Shame on Gibson. But if people are willing to accept this crap and the precious shareholders remain fat and happy, who am I to criticize?
McLovin, HRC, JB6464 and 2 others like this.
Ginger Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #86 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JorgeTeixeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 243
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger beer View Post
in my opinion...the custom historically has served as the crown jewel in the very prestigious and very expensive les paul line. As such, a man made kitchen countertop material like richlite has absolutely no business being used as a substitute for ebony regardless if it looks and sounds the same or not. Period. Shame on gibson. But if people are willing to accept this crap and the precious shareholders remain fat and happy, who am i to criticize?
+1
__________________
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender CS Stratocaster
Fender '62 AVRI Stratocaster
Fender Crash1 Eric Clapton Stratocaster
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Fender 50th anniv Jaguar
Squier Affinity Telecaster
Fender Telebration Lamboo Telecaster
Fender '62 AVRI Telecaster
Gibson ES 137C
Gibson Les Paul Custom 68 VOS
Gibson Les Paul 57 ri
Gibson Les Paul 59 ri
Taylor GS mini

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Fender 65 DRRI
Vox AC30 HW2x
Vox Pathfinder 15R

Kawai K3
JorgeTeixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #87 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standard man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ptown nebraska (proud of it!)
Posts: 4,317
Thanks: 272
Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Wow.. I havent been looking at guitars or even the forums much lately (bodybuilding has been occupying my time mostly, and I am pretty set on my gear right now, with only one planned purchase at a much later time) so this is the first Im hearing of these on the customs. Ive heard of these boards and whatnot before, but on a custom? Really? That just doesnt do it for me. However, if you like it, more power to you. Personally, I wouldnt go near it. Just for the principle of it. I mean, it could be a good material, or complete crap. I dont know. But I know that I wouldnt want anything other than ebony on a custom. I cant even take that my Epi elitist custom has rosewood. It just bothers me that a custom has any other wood. I dont know. Maybe Im shallow, but thats just my opinion.
__________________

11 Gibson Buckethead LP Studio
11 Agile AL3100 (EMGs)
84 Gibson Explorer
98 Gibson SG Special (Duncan 59's, Jonesy'd)
10 Epi Prophecy Futura EX
08 Epiphone Elitist Custom (GFS Crunchy Rails)
12 Epi Trad Pro Goldtop
95 Epi Korean Standard
80 Tokai Reborn Old LS50 (Gotoh tuners)
08 Agile Dauntless (EMGs, wired Buckethead style)
67 Gibson Flying V Reissue
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
Mystery Ibanez
A few others

Amps
-Marshall JCM 900
-Mesa Recto cab
standard man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #88 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thumpalumpacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hill Country
Posts: 61,884
Thanks: 1,381
Thanked 763 Times in 85 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beer View Post
As such, a man made kitchen countertop material like Richlite has absolutely no business being used as a substitute for Ebony regardless if it looks and sounds the same or not.
What is so bad about Man that his inventions taint a musical instrument?

This objection, with its explicit rejection of the importance of tonal qualities, is the weakest yet mounted, it seems to me. You realize that tuning pegs used to be non-geared, and wooden, right? Do you still use gut strings on your guitar? Have you checked your instruments to insure that they're all joined with hide glue?

Organic instruments!
axepilot likes this.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ginger Beer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slightly out of phase
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 53
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
What is so bad about Man that his inventions taint a musical instrument?

This objection, with its explicit rejection of the importance of tonal qualities, is the weakest yet mounted, it seems to me. You realize that tuning pegs used to be non-geared, and wooden, right? Do you still use gut strings on your guitar? Have you checked your instruments to insure that they're all joined with hide glue?

Organic instruments!

I'm pretty sure Ebony has stood the test of time. I'm also pretty sure a wooden tuning peg is a really bad idea. Big difference IMHO.

I'm also relatively certain that when Richlite was developed, use for a guitar fretboard, let alone one intended for a premium guitar, wasn't even on the horizon. I'm also pretty sure that if Henry hadn't screwed up so bad, Richlite would have never even been considered as a replacement for anything including the kitchen counter in his house.

Additionally, The Ebony fretboard was one of THE defining characteristics of The Les Paul Custom. Not anymore I guess. At this point, what is? The Diamond? The Truss Rod Cover? The simple fact that it's listed as a "Custom" in the latest Guitar Center home mailer?
River side likes this.
Ginger Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #90 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
axepilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 3,093
Thanks: 50
Thanked 60 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beer View Post
I'm pretty sure Ebony has stood the test of time. I'm also pretty sure a wooden tuning peg is a really bad idea. Big difference IMHO.

I'm also relatively certain that when Richlite was developed, use for a guitar fretboard, let alone one intended for a premium guitar, wasn't even on the horizon. I'm also pretty sure that if Henry hadn't screwed up so bad, Richlite would have never even been considered as a replacement for anything including the kitchen counter in his house.

Additionally, The Ebony fretboard was one of THE defining characteristics of The Les Paul Custom. Not anymore I guess. At this point, what is? The Diamond? The Truss Rod Cover? The simple fact that it's listed as a "Custom" in the latest Guitar Center home mailer?
I'm curious.................have you played a LP with the Richlite board?
axepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2014, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.