Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nutsauce
  • 1 Post By cynic79
  • 1 Post By 87Standard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

What is solid body and do they still make one ?

How many different body styles are there ?
I am assuming solid is the heaviest weighing guitars from the 50s, an "old school" ? How heavy were they ?
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to RombardO
Re: What is solid body and do they still make one ?

Well basically solid body means that the guitar hasn't been weight-relieved or chambered. Yes they can be very heavy, +10 lbs (some may even be as high as 12-13 lbs)
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

50's burst were from 8.5 - 9.5 lbs for the most part. Some a little heavier some a little lghter. When Norlin started sourcing cheaper, smaller pieces of mahogany the weight went up significantly. After that Gibson USA started weight relieving the guitars.

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
Blackstar ID:60TVP
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

In my opinion even the chambered Les Pauls are solid body guitars.

I would say there are 3 kinds of electric guitars:

Solid body = Les Paul, Stratocaster, Telecaster etc,
Semi-Hollow
Hollow body
Oranjeaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

A non weigh-relieved guitar can actually be lighter than a weight-relieved if it's a good piece of wood.
Louie likes this.
nutsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboots View Post
How many different body styles are there ?
I am assuming solid is the heaviest weighing guitars from the 50s, an "old school" ? How heavy were they ?
This thread should answer many of your questions.

Gibson Les Paul 101
ryanmichael95 likes this.

Some songs
http://soundcloud.com/cynic79
cynic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsauce View Post
A non weigh-relieved guitar can actually be lighter than a weight-relieved if it's a good piece of wood.
I find it amusing that some people assume lighter wood is 'better' than heavier. My guess is that it's just less dense ...

Different? perhaps. But EVERY piece of wood is different. That's the nature of wood.

Better? I sure as heck don't know but I think the importance has been WAY overhyped

Back in the '80s they started weight-relieving and most of us played these guitars for 20 years before anyone even knew they were weight-relieved.

These LPs played and sounded GREAT then and still do today. Sometimes ignorance is bliss
HOT-BRIT likes this.
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Standard View Post
I find it amusing that some people assume lighter wood is 'better' than heavier. My guess is that it's just less dense ...

Different? perhaps. But EVERY piece of wood is different. That's the nature of wood.

Better? I sure as heck don't know but I think the importance has been WAY overhyped

Back in the '80s they started weight-relieving and most of us played these guitars for 20 years before anyone even knew they were weight-relieved.

These LPs played and sounded GREAT then and still do today. Sometimes ignorance is bliss
Its Easy to get to caught up in all the details, but there are good sounding heavier Les Paul's and good sounding lighter ones also
HOT-BRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-brit View Post
its easy to get to caught up in all the details, but there are good sounding heavier les paul's and good sounding lighter ones also
exactly
Unread 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've been playing since 58-59 or so, purchased more guitars than I can remember, and never considered weighing any of the untill I started dealing with these forums.
To make a long story short, I have gotten great sound out of both heavy guitars and light ones.
I have to think that Gibson knows that the weight of the wood is not really a good determination of the musical qualities of that wood, within limits of course. So, with that in mind, and in order to produce a lighter guitar with heavier stock, they began producing the weight relieved bodies. And, I have to believe that considerable effort was put into determining just how much wood could be removed without having an impact on the sound. That's my take on the "weight relieved" bodies.
I'm just going to guess that the chambering system is an extension of the process, with Gibson experimenting to see just what impact the new body would have on sound, and eventually sales.
LOSTVENTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

here's one:

rjshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

10 plus lb ? wow thats heavy isn't it ? I had no idea that electric guitar can be so heavy. Anybody get back injury from it ?
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

ALL LPs are solid bodies regardless of whether or not they are chambered or weight-relieved. The difference between them and their non-weight relieved counterparts is, historical-accuracy.

Now, I'm not saying that they are not different in a lot of cases, but I can gurantee you that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CR8 ('58 Chambered Reissue) and a regular '58 RI, if they didn't know which was which?

Even though there is a sgnificant amount of wood removed durring the chambering process, it's still a solid piece of timber. Same thing goes for weight-relieving.
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar232007 View Post
ALL LPs are solid bodies regardless of whether or not they are chambered or weight-relieved. The difference between them and their non-weight relieved counterparts is, historical-accuracy.

Now, I'm not saying that they are not different in a lot of cases, but I can gurantee you that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CR8 ('58 Chambered Reissue) and a regular '58 RI, if they didn't know which was which?

Even though there is a sgnificant amount of wood removed durring the chambering process, it's still a solid piece of timber. Same thing goes for weight-relieving.
It's not solid if most of the wood is removed before the cap is glued on now is it ?.
That would leave an open cavaty between the cap and what's left of the back of the guitar which would no doubt change the tone of the instrument.
Solid would be a cap glued directly onto the main body wood with no air pocket like a Historic LP or like a Gibson Explorer.
I have played many LP's over the last 25 years and side by side you can hear the difference between a Solid body LP and a chambered LP. I can't hear the difference in a weight-relieved swiss cheese LP and a Solid body but you sure can when it's chambered.
Warmoth has been doing this way long before Gibson started and even in a bolt-on chambered guitar bodies , you can hear a big differenece in tones.
Microphones don't lie , there is a difference. If you can't hear the difference between a CR8 and a solid body R8 Historic in the studio than it's time for hearing aids and retirement.
Not that one is better than the other , but there is a tonal difference.
2007 Gibson Smartwood LP chambered

Gibson's i wish i still own:
1998 Ebony Standard
2001 R8 Butterscotch
2001 R7 tranparent Red finish
2003 R7 Goldtop
2003 R7 Faded Cherry LPC
JB6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB6464 View Post
It's not solid if most of the wood is removed before the cap is glued on now is it ?.
That would leave an open cavaty between the cap and what's left of the back of the guitar which would no doubt change the tone of the instrument.
Solid would be a cap glued directly onto the main body wood with no air pocket like a Historic LP or like a Gibson Explorer.
I have played many LP's over the last 25 years and side by side you can hear the difference between a Solid body LP and a chambered LP. I can't hear the difference in a weight-relieved swiss cheese LP and a Solid body but you sure can when it's chambered.
Warmoth has been doing this way long before Gibson started and even in a bolt-on chambered guitar bodies , you can hear a big differenece in tones.
Microphones don't lie , there is a difference. If you can't hear the difference between a CR8 and a solid body R8 Historic in the studio than it's time for hearing aids and retirement.
Not that one is better than the other , but there is a tonal difference.
There is a little bit of differance in sound, but quite a differance in feel. I own one LP it's chambered but I have played weight relieved and solid, to me it's does guitar sound but some people have it in their head that if it's chambered that it sucks without even trying one out first.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Silvertone acoustic 6 string
Vox AD50VT Amp
Martin OMC-1E
Martin GCMMV
Lanikai Uke
dcmey is offline   Reply With Quote