MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: What's the best LP for the money ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
(Mostly) good input here, esp. about Studios. But the best value for money IMO (if not least money) is the right price on a used R8 or similar.

Chambered or otherwise.
If I had it to do over again, I would get a used R8. I have seen some really nice ones for ~$2300.00. - $2500.00

Otherwise I would recommend a used standard. I have seen them around $1400.00 - $1600.00.
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
The chambered models may look pretty, but sound like dogs. They might as well add F holes because they aren't LP sounding anymore.
Couldn't disagree more. Chambered LPs can sound great. I'd say the change in pickups over the years has changed the tone far more than Chambering.

I'd say if you play a chambered LP through a decent amp and it sounds like a dog, the problem is more likely in your hands.
bluesguitar1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImmaterial View Post
Yeah, the thousands of people who've bought them must be tone deaf! I mean that guy from Lynard Skynard must be a complete idiot for buying a C9! And he owns a burst too! What a waste
I think he means they don't have that characteristic LP sound. The classic I had sounded more like an ES335 than an LP.
Edwards 125-ALS LP
Edwards Pure Material LP
Dean Z 79, Kramer 5150
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx 2, Adam A7X monitors
sandmannn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmannn69 View Post
I think he means they don't have that characteristic LP sound. The classic I had sounded more like an ES335 than an LP.
Who knows, I suppose, from 1 guitar to another... however, A/B-ing the Chambered and Weight-relieved guitars with the same pickups in it has only very subtle differences...not near the differences that an LP with 57's in it vs and LP with Burstbuckers, or more so yet, Duncans (Does Slash play a real LP then?).

Anyway, not trying to start a battle, but leaving that statement hanging out there was kind of like someone Farting in the car and not opening a window. The air needed to be cleared...
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to BigAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesguitar1972 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Chambered LPs can sound great. I'd say the change in pickups over the years has changed the tone far more than Chambering.

I'd say if you play a chambered LP through a decent amp and it sounds like a dog, the problem is more likely in your hands.
Ok, I did exaggerate a little there. Dog is a bit of an extreme word, but I have a/b'd chambered ones vs. weight relieved vs. solid, and noticed a bigger difference than what you describe between chambered ones and solid or weight relieved ones. The problem isn't in my hands, all were played through a Mesa Triple rectifier at non-bedroom levels. I noticed the chambered ones had that ES-335esque tone that's uncharacteristic to LP's that sandman described, and a fair bit more resonance. Anyways, to each his own right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmannn69 View Post
Exactly. I'm not saying they all sound like crap, they just don't sound right to me.
sandmannn69 likes this.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, I did exaggerate a little there. Dog is a bit of an extreme word, but I have a/b'd chambered ones vs. weight relieved vs. solid, and noticed a bigger difference than what you describe between chambered ones and solid or weight relieved ones. The problem isn't in my hands, all were played through a Mesa Triple rectifier at non-bedroom levels. I noticed the chambered ones had that ES-335esque tone that's uncharacteristic to LP's that sandman described, and a fair bit more resonance. Anyways, to each his own right?

Exactly. I'm not saying they all sound like crap, they just don't sound right to me.
To each their own sounds about right to me...though I stand by my statement that a change in PUPs makes for a much bigger change in tone.
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
To each their own sounds about right to me...though I stand by my statement that a change in PUPs makes for a much bigger change in tone.
Hmm, it's an interesting thought, I guess I'd have to try it out first hand to know. But having a chambered body like that definitely adds resonance, if nothing else. Anyways, like I said, to each his own, that kind of sound just isn't for me. I'll stick to solid and weight relieved LP's, but I won't judge if anyone else uses a chambered LP. Everyone's got their own sound and if it fits, it fits.
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #38 (permalink)

Thanked 1,098 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
I don't really mind weight relief because it doesn't hugely affect the tone.
Been sniffing cork long? How's your supply holding out? I'm running low. Got any Portuguese?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #39 (permalink)

A used one or a studio, IMHO
laxcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not saying they all sound like crap, they just don't sound right to me.
What guitar do you play bro, & did you get a free pair of Bats ears with it?
Though, you do have a monkey playing a guitar as your avatar.!?
glynneCicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Been sniffing cork long? How's your supply holding out? I'm running low. Got any Portuguese?
Pshhh... Corksniffers would hate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynneCicada View Post
What guitar do you play bro, & did you get a free pair of Bats ears with it?
Though, you do have a monkey playing a guitar as your avatar.!?
Read my sig where it says "Current Gear," it's the least you could do before bashing me. I didn't bash your taste, AND I admitted that I exaggerated in my first posts. I said it's just not the right sound for me, and I prefer unchambered LP's.
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcsports View Post
OK, I play mostly classic rock/blues . . . I really don't care about flame tops and binding. I just want a great sounding/sustaining LP.
I've been playing the blues for a long time, and when I got my Studio last year I had absolutely no complaints about how she responded and sounded. And, sustained when I needed her to sustain. (Mine has the 490/498 pups.) I still have her and love her even though my R6 has become my go-to guitar, but within your budget you have numerous Studio options from which to pick and any one of them will do right by you.

You can also land a solid Les Paul Classic within your budget. With the right pups (my Classic Antique has Burstbuckers) they're tone monsters in their own right. They have the slimmer neck, and for myself mine has the only slim neck on which I have ever felt comfortable. (I usually like the big bats.) Good Classics can be had for $1800 and less, and in above-average condition, too.

When Iím singing blues, Iím singing life. People that canít stand to listen to the blues, theyíve got to be phonies.---Etta James
Without a guitar, I'm like a poet with no hands.---Mike Bloomfield.
Without music I may feel blind, atrophied, incompetent, inexistent.---Duke Ellington.

https://soundcloud.com/easyace/the-last-man-standing
EasyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Who knows, I suppose, from 1 guitar to another... however, A/B-ing the Chambered and Weight-relieved guitars with the same pickups in it has only very subtle differences...not near the differences that an LP with 57's in it vs and LP with Burstbuckers, or more so yet, Duncans (Does Slash play a real LP then?).

Anyway, not trying to start a battle, but leaving that statement hanging out there was kind of like someone Farting in the car and not opening a window. The air needed to be cleared...
Actually, the afore-mentioned chambered Classic came stock with 57s. I now have a trad 1960 not chambered with 57s and it sounds like a LP, thick, deep,with bite-not hollow and twangy like a 335. Sounds like all the other LPs i've owned (not chambered either). Glad I got rid of it as I thot it was just the pups, now I know better.
Edwards 125-ALS LP
Edwards Pure Material LP
Dean Z 79, Kramer 5150
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx 2, Adam A7X monitors
sandmannn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #44 (permalink)
Fumble Fingers

It really boils down to what sounds and feels good to you. Used opens up your possibilities more than new. Some of my favorites are older used ones from the dreaded Norlin years. I do love my 2000 Standard though... Each guitar is different so I avoid blanket statements that go like "all Studio's suck" or things like that. You'll know it when you pick it up and play it, or maybe just when you see it...
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcsports View Post
Thanks guys, great advice. That Studio^^^^ looks amazing!!
Thanks, hope you have been able to gleen some good info from here. Hope you manage to get the one that is just right for you
pawpek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Read my sig where it says "Current Gear," it's the least you could do before bashing me. I didn't bash your taste, AND I admitted that I exaggerated in my first posts. I said it's just not the right sound for me, and I prefer unchambered LP's.
Oh, I never read that stuff. Im not bashing you bro. Just amazed that someone can make a statement to actually hearing such a difference. I doubt, & I may or may not be alone on this one, that if you compared the 2, chambered & un-chambered, side by side that someone could tell such a noticeable difference. Your personal taste is one thing, but to make an almost scientific comparison is something else. Playing a Chambered Standard myself, that guitar is everything I ever hoped it would be & more, without the weight.
And Im used to my tastes & opinions being slaughtered on here. Its all part of the fun.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
glynneCicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Pshhh... Corksniffers would hate me.

Read the gear and now Im sure you must be tone deff.
nbeersiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

so in conclusion the best Les Paul for the money is the one your happy with!
HOT-BRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

A nice Studio and then put in Custom wound Pickups
and you have a winner. My Studio sounds better and plays
better than my 71 Custom did, so go figure.

but for $1,800 you can find a new Standard of some sort
eBay right now has a S't load of used Standards under
that price
coldsteal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

That was a crack at your Ibanez big al not an attack.
nbeersiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

I love my Trad. That being said my early 90's Studio, Wine with the ebony fretboard, was the shit man. I like the sound of my Trad plus better but I play through better amps now than I did in the 90's, mostly.
Mule Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpek View Post
Thanks, hope you have been able to gleen some good info from here. Hope you manage to get the one that is just right for you
Thanks I have. You guys are great!! I've got a lot of thinking and reading to do.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #53 (permalink)

I respect everyone's opinion, so here's mine. I would go for a new Studio from an authorized dealer with the warranty ... remember the Gibson warranty is non-transferrable. Depending on the model (i.e, the worn vs. regular finish), a new Studio with a 40% discount off list will likely run you between $900 to $1,100 ... at least where I am in NY. Unless you know the seller of a used guitar and/or its history, you're playing Russian Roulette. You may get a great axe or a real clunker. There may not be a return policy from the seller. Worse, the seller may be in a different State than you and you'd have to chase him/her if there were a problem. In short, it's a crapshoot.

I recently sold a Studio Worn and was in the market for another LP. I wanted to keep it around $2K, so I tried several of the higher end models within my price range. I kept coming back to two Studios because they felt and sounded right to me ... a Fireburst and a Wine Red. Liked 'em both, but chose the Fireburst because it felt just a bit better in my hand. The sound was great on both of them.

The Studio may not have the little extras like binding, etc., but that didn't matter to me. IMHO, the sound and feel of the Studio is on a par with, and in some cases be better than some of the higher priced models. If a piece of plastic binding and some other bling doesn't matter to you, then the Studio is the way to go. You could then put the balance of your guitar budget into a good amp and you'll be set. In the final analysis, it's all about what feels and sounds right to you. Good luck.
sandmannn69 likes this.
LP Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Thanked 1,497 Times in 415 Posts

I own both a gold top Trad Pro and an alpine white Studio. I think both are superior guitars, and not too expensive. Those 60's tribute Studios also seem nice.

What I would REALLY suggest is that you spenda little time trying out as many different models as you can get your hands on... See what YOU really like, then figure out what to buy. If you shop around, you'll be able to find lots of great Les Pauls at different price points.
sandmannn69 likes this.
Skintaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:

I agree. I had a chambered 08 Standard and the tone was delicious. The cleans were very chimey and with distortion the tone was warm and chunky. A little more open sounding than my Trad Pro.

Don't care for the weight though. Its just wrong for a LP to weigh less than a Strat IMO. Still great guitars nonetheless.

To the OP I would highly recommend a Trad Pro. Pretty good value at $1999. Plus the locking tuners are awesome. You can restring in half the time. The satin finish is slick too.

Happy guitar hunting.... its half the fun as playing
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #56 (permalink)

Definitely stay away from chambered (bring it !) . Go for a Traditional or a Used Custom. A little bit more $ and get a used R8.

joesatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #57 (permalink)

A well taken care of Re-Issue would be a consideration. You could probably get one for only a couple hundred more than your current budget and they are reallly a lot of Les Paul.

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
Blackstar ID:60TVP
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #58 (permalink)

I'd say a Gibson Les Paul Special or Studio. The specials are nice and if you find one with P90s those are really awesome sounding. The best era for Studios are between late 80s to about 2006. After that I'm not too fond of the "player friendly" features Gibson tries to cram down people's throats.
'96 Gibson LP Studio Gem (mini-hb's)
'01 Gibson LP Standard
'07 Gibson SG Standard
'05 Gibson SG Special w/P90s
'83 Epiphone PR 650 12 string
'08 Gibson DSM-CE
'96 Fender Strat MIJ
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass
Yamaha BB 714BS
Epiphone EB-3 SG bass

Marshall JCM900 combo
Vox AC100CPH
Carvin Legacy combo gen 1
geddyleefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbeersiii View Post
That was a crack at your Ibanez big al not an attack.

Lol, which one? There's two of em. One actually sounds pretty OK, it's a decent backup guitar. The other... A dog, I mean, a real dog. The Mark V will make anything sound good though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynneCicada View Post
Oh, I never read that stuff. Im not bashing you bro. Just amazed that someone can make a statement to actually hearing such a difference. I doubt, & I may or may not be alone on this one, that if you compared the 2, chambered & un-chambered, side by side that someone could tell such a noticeable difference. Your personal taste is one thing, but to make an almost scientific comparison is something else. Playing a Chambered Standard myself, that guitar is everything I ever hoped it would be & more, without the weight.
And Im used to my tastes & opinions being slaughtered on here. Its all part of the fun.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
Well, like I said, I did exaggerate a little. But when I play 'em I notice a difference. If you like the way something sounds then far be it from me to tell you that you have bad taste, (unless you think a guitar like that crappy ic200 in my sig sounds good) lol. I get sneers from corksniffers as well because my LP has the FACTORY installed Kahler on it, sheesh. I didn't think my original comments would cause a total threadjack lol. Sorry OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesatch View Post
Definitely stay away from chambered (bring it !) . Go for a Traditional or a Used Custom. A little bit more $ and get a used R8.

http://www.dv247.com/assets/news/dv2...ama-guitar.jpg

Lol, don't restart the war, the thread's already been jacked by it once hahaha.
Unread 04-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #60 (permalink)

+1 on the Studio & Amp comments.

"Classic rock/Blues" to me says a 1/2 decent VALVE amp.

You could play a Gen-yoo-wine '59 burst through a cheap solid state amp and it will sound average (well, OK, I am making an assumption on the burst part. Never had the luck, more's the pity... But a decent guitar anyway)

For that sound you want some nice warm tubes to grit up the output.

IMHO

OR you could rob a bank, buy a real burst, A Marshall Full Stack, a Fender Twin and a VOX AC30... I'm Just sayin
bluesguitar1972 likes this.

#1 '08 'Inspired by' Slash VOS "Nadia"
Gibson LP Standard
PRS Private Stock Santana II
PRS Hollowbody II
PRS Dirty 100
Fender '57 RI Surf Green Stratocaster
Fender CS Relic '51 Nocaster
Maton EM325
Marshall TSL 122
Morley Wah
Assorted Bits
Alcohol

Current GAS is for: Aged JP#2, A highly figured R9, a vintage Goldtop... and... and... and...

Crusader Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote